Mr. Speakers Ether 2
Open-back planar magnetic headphones
Our take on the Mr. Speakers Ether 2 by Crutchfield's Jeff Miller
New flagship headphones from MrSpeaker
The Ether 2 is the latest creation from one of my favorite high-end headphone companies, MrSpeaker. I'll have a full presentation soon, but I'm so excited that we can offer these new 'phones, I wanted to make them available to order. These metal-framed, premium over-ears are physically lighter than most planar-magnetic headphones this size. And rather than building on their previous models, company founder Dan Clark completely redesigned the drivers around the company's patented TrueFlow™ technology.
These headphones debuted just last month at the Rocky Mountain Audiofest. Early listening impressions suggest that MrSpeakers met their goal — to create a resolving set of headphones that is fun to listen to, and not overly analytical. A major part of that is the satisfying, super-quick bass response.
Smoother airflow around the magnets
These illustrations below are from a previous model, but do a pretty good job of showing how the TrueFlow system works. Special "waveguides" help reduce turbulence in the airflow. This lowers distortion and makes for effortless, natural sound.
Airflow around planar magnet arrays can get messy...
... so MrSpeakers added the TrueFlow waveguides to reduce turbulence.
- open-back design offers spacious, transparent sound
- planar magnetic drivers tuned to deliver an articulate sound with enhanced dynamics
- ultralight design
- made with premium materials and metals
- designed, built, and tested in San Diego, CA
- planar-magnetic drivers offer exceptional musical detail with low distortion
- redesigned motor and powerful magnet array for greater efficiency
- extra-light planar diaphragm starts and stops quickly for clear, articulate sound
- built-in TrueFlow™ technology helps reduces turbulence of air moving through the driver
- enhances dynamics and extends frequency response
- a separate headphone amplifier is required to properly power these headphones for optimum sound quality
- durable metal frame and earcups
- thick, memory-foam earpads lined with dual-stitched leather
- carbon-fiber baffles
- NiTinol "memory metal" headband for easy fit
- super-light, flexible material
- sturdy dual-sided headband slider for effortless adjustment
- feels lighter than most over-ear planar magnetic headphones
General Info and Specs:
- detachable VIVO cable terminated by a 3.5mm miniplug
- lightweight design with reduced microphonics
- hard-shell carrying case with soft protective interior
- impedance: 16 ohms
- weight: 10.2 ounces
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Over-ear headphones
- 6.6' VIVO Cable (1/4" plug)
- MagicFiber cleaning cloth
- Hard-shell zippered storage case
- Certificate of Authenticity
- Quick User Guide
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Features and Specs
|Earcup Width x Height||4.176" x 4.176"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||No|
|Frequency Response||Not Given|
|1/4-inch Adapter Included||No|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The Ether² is the new top-of-the-line open back planar magnetic headphone from MrSpeakers. These audiophile-grade headphones feature a new driver, a new motor, and a new baffle to give you superb performance. The headphones also includes a new headband and ergonomically-designed memory foam ear pads for the ultimate in comfort and reliability. The Ether² comes with a new redesigned VIVO cable, a soft cleaning cloth, and a hard-shell storage case. For best performance, it is recommended that you use a high-quality headphone amplifier with the headphones.
Planar Magnetic Drivers: The Ether² uses 71mm x 45mm (2.79" x 1.77") planar magnetic drivers which delivers much better performance over standard dynamic drivers. The drivers are matched +/- 1.5dB between 30Hz and 5000Hz. The new motor is designed around TrueFlow technology, which provides better linearity, dynamics, and detail. The new diaphragm is 70% lighter than the original Ether driver, which results in a quicker, more powerful response with clarity and balance. Bass response is full and strong, while the sound stage and imaging are more defined.
Construction: The Ether² features an all-metal ear cup with a Nitinol "memory metal" headband and carbon fiber driver baffle. The left and right ear cups can be independently adjusted up or down for a proper fit. The leather webbed head strap can also be repositioned via the plastic sliders to achieve the desired fit.
Ear Pads: The soft memory foam ear pads provide comfort for extended listening sessions. The ear cutouts are more "ear-shaped" than the rectangular ones on the original Ether, and straight in the front and curved in the back (1-7/8" wide and 2-3/4" high). The pads are angled for a more secure and comfortable fit.
VIVO Cable: The MrSpeakers Ether² comes with the 6.6' detachable VIVO cable, made with silver-plated OFHC copper and high-quality connectors. This new flagship cable is more flexible than the original DUM (Distinctly Un-Magical) cable (supplied with the original Ether headphones. The VIVO cable is also smoother than the DUM cable, and less likely to pick up and transfer surface noise into the headphones. The cable features dual 4-pin connectors on the headphone end (one for each ear cup) and a sturdy (unbalanced) 1/4" plug on the other (device) end. Additional VIVO cables are available from the manufacturer in 6' or 10' in lengths with unbalanced 1/4" or balanced 4-pin XLR connectors. Shorter VIVO cables (3.5'), designed for portable music sources, are available in unbalanced 3.5mm, or balanced 2.5mm or 4.4mm connectors.
Storage Case: The headphones come with a black molded, hard-side, clam-shell case for storing your headphones (with the cables removed). The case has a 3-sided zippered closure.
- Ear Cup Dimensions: 4.176" Diameter x 1.348" Depth
- Ear Cutout: 1-7/8" Wide x 2-3/4" High
- Cable Length: 6.6 feet
- Weight: 10.23 ounces
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.