About the Wadia 170iTransport
Turn your iPod into a high-end component
Turn your iPod into a high-end component
The Wadia 170iTransport helps you get the best possible sound and picture from your iPod. Wadia has been creating high-performance digital audio products for years, and they've outfitted this dock with the connections you need for high-quality audio and video playback on your home system.
The 170iTransport is the first dock that lets you bypass the iPod's built-in digital-to-analog converter (DAC). That means you can get richer, more detailed sound by passing music signals digitally to your audio/video receiver or other high-performance components with built-in DACs, such as Wadia's perfectly matched 151 PowerDAC mini.
The 170iTransport also features one component video output and one S-video output to ensure the highest picture quality. And Wadia encases this extraordinary dock in a cast aluminum chassis, with a handsome powder-coated finish.
Read our blog post Better home audio, Tip #11: Bypass your iPod's DAC.
- compatible with all docking iPods, including the 120GB iPod classic, curved screen iPod nano, and second generation iPod touch
- bypasses iPod's built-in digital-to-analog converter (DAC) use your receiver's built-in DAC or an outboard DAC for better sound
- coaxial digital output (cable included)
- analog stereo RCA output
- S-video and component video output
- powder-coated cast aluminum chassis
- remote control
- AC power
- 8"W x 2-3/4"H x 9-11/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 170i
What's in the box:
- Digital iPod integration device (silver)
- AC power adapter with attached 5' DC cord
- 4' AC power cord
- 41" Digital coaxial cable with a single RCA connector on each end
- IR wireless remote control with installed CR2025 3V lithium battery
- 5 iPod adapter inserts (one installed)
- Dock connector cap
- Owner's Manual
- On-line Product Registration Card
Wadia 170iTransport reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Wadia 170iTransport
Overview: The Wadia 170iTransport is specifically designed to transform your iPod/iPhone into a high-resolution audio/video media server. The iTransport combines the convenience of personal audio with the performance and connectivity of your home audio/video system, delivering bit-perfect digital audio signal via S/PDIF coaxial (RCA) output, DVD quality video via component outputs, and built on a sleek aluminum chassis. The iTransport allows you to experience true audiophile sound quality and superior video performance by integrating your iPod into your home Audio and Video system.
Aluminum Chassis: The Wadia 170iTransport is built on a precision-engineered aluminum chassis for exceptional performance and durability. The unit is also supported by four vibration absorbing isolation cones.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility: The Wadia 170iTransport is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible. The 170iTransport features a top-mount iPod/iPhone dock connector which allows you to connect your compatible iPod/iPhone. The unit allows audio/video playback, control, and charging of select iPods. The Wadia 170iTransport is "Made for iPod/iPhone" certified and compatible with the following iPod/iPhones (as of Sept. 2010):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video Out||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
|classic||80GB||Y|| S-Video |
|120GB||Y|| S-Video |
|160GB||Y|| S-Video |
|touch||1st||Y|| S-Video |
|2nd||Y|| S-Video |
|3rd||Y|| S-Video |
|4th||Y|| S-Video |
|iPhone||2G||Y|| S-Video |
|3G||Y|| S-Video |
|3GS||Y|| S-Video |
|4||Y|| S-Video |
Note: The 170iTransport does not display iPod/iPhone text information. You will still need to view song, artist, and track information from your docked iPod/iPhone's screen. Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the device and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to revert to the older software version or wait until an newer software update is available.
iPod/iPhone Specifics: Each model of iPod/iPhone has its own characteristics which affect the functionality of the 170iTransport.
- iPod nano (1 gen)*: Will only output digital audio while in the "extended interface" mode. This means that the iPod click wheel interface is not available while attached to the 170iTransport and listening to digital audio out.
- iPod nano (2 gen.): Will allow digital audio out while still allowing the iPod click-wheel interface to function normally.
- iPod nano (3/4/5 gen): Supports component video out and digital audio out while still allowing the iPod click wheel interface to function normally.
- iPod nano (6 gen): Will allow digital audio out while still allowing the iPod touchscreen interface to function normally.
- iPod video (5 gen)*: Supports S-Video out (not component video). The iPod video can only output digital audio while in the "extended interface" mode. This means that the iPod click wheel interface is not available while attached to the 170iTransport and listening to digital audio out.
- iPod classic (80/120/160GB): Supports component video out and digital audio out while still allowing the iPod click wheel interface to function normally.
- iPod touch (1/2/3/4 gen): Supports component video out and digital audio out while still allowing the iPod touch screen interface to function normally.
- iPhone (2G/3G/3GS/4): Your iPhone will need be placed in Airplane mode.
Note: The Wadia 170iTransport comes supplied with 5 iPod adapter inserts (video 30GB, video 60GB, nano 1st gen., nano 2nd gen., and nano 3rd gen.). The iPod classic (80/120/160GB), touch (1st/2nd/3rd gen.), and iPod nano (4th/5th gen.) come with their own adapter insert.
True-Bit Digital Audio: The 170iTransport bypasses the digital-to-analog conversion and analog output stage from your iPod when connected via digital coax. By providing a pure digital audio output from your iPod/iPhone, the 170iTransport enables performance that is only limited by the resolution of your audio files stored on the iPod/iPhone, and the overall quality of your audio system. In other words, the 170iTransport makes it possible to achieve true audiophile performance from your iPod/iPhone.
Note: Wadia recommends storing music on your iPod/iPhone in the highest bit rate for optimum sonic performance. Storing music files at higher bit rates will require substantially more storage space on your computer and iPod/iPhone, however, the sonic improvement is self-evident. The highest available quality is achieved by importing music into iTunes as WAV files. Another good option for storing music in iTunes is Apple Lossless.
Audio/Video Connections: The 170iTransport offers a native digital audio output (coaxial), high-resolution component and S-Video output, and analog audio outputs for your connected iPod/iPhone.
- Digital Out: This is a digital coax audio output that is
compatible with the S/PDIF standard. It is intended to connected to a coax
digital input on a compatible device. The unit comes with a 41" coaxial
- Note: Currently iPod does not have the processing power to display Cover Flow properly over a digital audio connection and allow access to the digital information.
- Analog Audio: Left and right analog outputs to connect to a compatible analog device. The analog audio outputs are not active simultaneously with the digital audio output.
- S-Video/Composite Video: For the older generation of video capable iPods (such as the iPod video), this connection will supply the video output from your docked iPod video (5th gen.). The iPod must not be in the "extended interface" mode.
- Component Video: This is the high resolution video output
available from the newer generation iPod/iPhones such as the iPhone
(3G/3GS/4), iPod touch (1st/2nd/3rd/4th
gen.), iPod classic (80/120/160GB) and iPod nano (3rd/4th/5th gen.).
- Note: The Wadia 170iTransport only acts as a high-performance pass-thru for video signals. Picture performance is limited to the quality of the material stored on your iPod/iPhone.
Wireless Remote Control: The 170iTransport comes supplied with an IR infrared remote control to allow basic operation of your iPod/iPhone such as Play/Pause, Next Track, and Previous Track. You can also continue to control your iPod/iPhone from its click-wheel or touch-screen.
Note: Some iPods (iPod nano 1st gen. and iPod video) will only operate in "Extended Interface" mode during digital audio playback or video playback; this means the iPod's click-wheel will be locked and you will need to operate the iPod from the supplied remote control.
Power Supply With Charging Capability: The Wadia iTransport operates on standard household AC current using the supplied detachable AC power adapter and power cord. The 170iTransport will charge your compatible iPod/iPhone while docked.