About the Definitive Technology CS-9080
Feel the power
Feel the power
Intense, high-powered bass from a center channel speaker? Preposterous! Unless, of course, it's Definitive Technology's mighty CS-9080. Unlike conventional center channel speakers, the CS-9080 boasts an 8" subwoofer coupled to a 10" passive radiator and driven by a built-in 300-watt amplifier. It clearly renders all the dialogue and vocal nuances of your favorite actors while ensuring that any special effects anchored to your screen are delivered with full bass impact. Get ready for dynamic performance and a riveting home theater thrill ride.
High-tech drivers for exceptionally detailed sound
The CS-9080 has two 5-1/4" midrange drivers flanking a 1" dome tweeter, for perfectly blended highs and mids. The aluminum dome tweeter is heat-treated to relax the crystal structure of the metal, then attached to a silk surround to help produce crisp, sparkling highs without a trace of harshness. And thanks to Definitive's Balanced Double Surround System (BDSS) driver design, which places a surround on both the outer and inner edge of the speaker cone to help it remain more stable as it moves, movie dialogue and special effects will sound clear, never muddy.
Did you know?
Your new speakers will probably sound better after several weeks of use than they do right out of the box. That's because the material surrounding the woofers will loosen up, allowing the drivers to move more fully. Definitive Technology estimates a break-in period of 24 to 48 hours of playback before the speakers will deliver optimum sound quality. For more information and helpful tips, check out this article from Definitive's website about conditioning your speakers.
- built-in powered subwoofer with volume control
- Intelligent Bass Control provides precise bass level adjustments while maintaining accurate midrange tonal balance
- Balanced Dual Surround System (BDSS) driver technology places rubber surrounds on both the outer and inner edges of each speaker cone for improved control and clarity
- dual 5-1/4" BDSS mid/bass drivers for clear, accurate dialogue
- one 1" annealed aluminum dome tweeter with silk surround for smooth, extended highs
- upward-firing 8" powered subwoofer with built-in 300-watt amplifier
- upward-firing 10" passive radiator for enhanced bass output
- bass reflex (passive radiator) cabinet design
- frequency response: 24-40,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 91 dB
- impedance: compatible with 8-ohm outputs
- recommended amplifier power: 50-300 watts
- one set of 5-way binding posts
- LFE line-level input (optional) for subwoofer
- speaker-level-only connections recommended for optimum performance
- LED illuminated front "D" logo (with rear-panel defeat switch)
- cloth grille-wrapped enclosure with aluminum trim rings
- 23-1/16"W x 7"H x 16-1/4"D
- warranty: 5 years speaker, 3 years electronics
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # KEAA-A
What's in the box:
- Center-channel loudspeaker
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Owner's Manual
- "What Obsession Sounds Like" card
Definitive Technology CS-9080 reviews
Best center channel u can buy. Great base
0 of 0 found this helpful
I guess I had too high expectations. I was looking for more bass even though there's only an 8" sub in it. Granted, my center channel was not working and I used the left channel to try it out. I took it back because I needed a new receiver. However, I will probably look at a different brand when I do. For a $1000 I felt it should have been better.
Cons: Lack of bass
1 of 27 found this helpful
Awesome center channel, goes perfect with my 9080's! Makes the sound that much fuller!
1 of 1 found this helpful
Best center channel speaker out there. You will not regret this you'll actually recommend it to everyone. Sound is beyond awesome, nothing more to say.
Pros: Excellent sound.
2 of 2 found this helpful
They staff was knowledgeable and extremely important helping with the decision of what would be the ideal center channel for me. All I can say is the product was exactly what I needed to give the high performance sound someone is looking for in higher end system. They speaker made a huge difference . It is the best center channel I have ever heard. Worth every penny spent.
1 of 1 found this helpful
Really awesome sound!!
1 of 2 found this helpful
Upgraded from a CLR 2002 which I had for 14 years, thought this was going to be to much bass cause of the sub built in, mind you I'm running 4 SC6000 but I was wrong. This center has amazing clarity when playing movies/music. I recommend this center.
Pros: Great sound, impressive power, the subwoofer alone sounds like a independent sub.
Cons: Not really a con but make sure you have space for this monster and support since this center isn't light.
2 of 4 found this helpful
I purchased this as an open-box item from Crutchfield with a nice discount; it had some minor wear marks on the exterior aluminum bits and the box had clearly been to war or something, but it arrived safely. The unit itself provides great sound that pairs fantastically with the DefTech BP9080 floor standing speakers. I've got mine driven by a modern Yamaha Aventage receiver and it sounds fantastic. Just be warned, this thing is BIG - make sure you've got enough room wherever you're planning on placing it.
5 of 7 found this helpful
Great center channel dialog couldn't be clearer and bass is impressive.
Pros: Crystal clear sound great bass
18 of 20 found this helpful
Just below a 75" Sony. Amazing clarity in dialogue channel. Paired with BP-9060 powered by Yamaha. Sound bars have thin tinny sound to me so this was it; no complaints.
Pros: Build quality. Excellent sound reproduction.
17 of 18 found this helpful
This is the best center channel I have heard! Extremely crisp mids and highs with thunderous low end that doesn't muddy the sound or boom at any volume! This speaker makes other center channels sound like dialog is coming out of a tin can. My next purchase will be a pair of BP9080x's. They have earned a customer for life.
Pros: Incredible sound quality and range Built in subwoofer Very well built Great looking
25 of 28 found this helpful
Once again Def Tech has left me speechless! This piece of art really does produce sound that's no different from lifelike. So clear and pleasant to the ear that you just can't stop listening to it. Amazing tweeter, mind blowing mid ranges, and killer built-in subwoofer. Very beautiful to look at and very well built. Love the size and feel of it. I have this paired with Def. Tech. Mythos ST-L's as front left and front right along with 2 Klipsch R112 Subwoofers. All this is hooked up to my Pioneer Elite SCLX901. I have 4 pro monitor 800's as surrounds. By the way, I love Crutchfield. They are truly the best in the World.
Pros: Sound quality, built quality, looks, size, price etc...
Cons: From Def. Tech?? Are you kidding? Never!
103 of 105 found this helpful
This center channel speaker is an absolute beast and performs very well at clear, bold(big bass), full bodied sound. It's a difference maker!!!
Pros: Bass in the center channel and full tone dialogue!!!
23 of 26 found this helpful
Close your eyes and don't thinking twice. Wow what a great sound. Don't forget good cables. Audio quest. Esta bocina de canal de centro es tremenda, no piensen dos veces en comprarla cierren sus ojos y procedan a hacer la compra, no se arrepentirán. This center cannel speaker is tremendous, do not think twice about buying it, close your eyes and make the purchase, you will not regret it.
Pros: Great sound.
7 of 385 found this helpful
Great sounding speaker, as always. I have had several versions of this same speaker and they have all been great. This newest one is no disappointment. Great sound and great bass response from a center channel.
Pros: Great sound. Great bass response, especially from a center channel speaker.
20 of 23 found this helpful
More details on the Definitive Technology CS-9080
Features & specs
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||8|
|Connector Type||5-way post, RCA|
|Frequency Response||24-40k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Center-Channel Loudspeaker: The Definitive Technology CS9080 center-channel loudspeaker delivers immense clarity and focus to the vocal range, accurately reproducing even the most demanding audio soundtrack content so you can experience every detail of your home theater. An aluminum dome tweeter, high-performance midrange BDSS drivers, and an integrated powered subwoofer with Intelligent Bass Control let you hear and feel every note as the artist intends.
Aluminum Dome Tweeter: The CS9080 center-channel loudspeaker features one 1" aluminum dome tweeters for crystal clear highs that bring the most demanding audio soundtracks to life. The Definitive Technology tweeter is designed to play higher in frequency than what is heard by the human ear, creating an authentic reproduction of sound as the artist intends in the studio or concert hall.
BDSS (2nd Gen) Drivers: The Definitive Technology CS9080 employs two 5.25" midrange cone woofers with patented Balanced Double Surround System (BDSS) technology (2nd generation). BDSS technology improves driver excursion which results in the selected driver producing bass output usually associated with a larger driver, while retaining the improved dispersion and midrange definition of a smaller driver.
Integrated Powered Subwoofer: The CS9080 contains a integrated powered subwoofer that consists of a top-firing 8" woofer and 300 watt amplifier designed to extend the frequency response and dynamic range of the center-channel speaker. The best loudspeaker is one that reproduces balance between the highest highs down to deepest lows as accurately as possible. The integrated powered subwoofer offers deeper, more impactful bass from the center channel speaker without the need to add a separate powered sub.
Intelligent Bass Control: Intelligent Bass Control is Definitive Technology's latest advancement that offers enhanced bass while maintaining overall mid-range tonal balance. Intelligent Bass Control gives you the ability to modulate deep bass up or down in level while simultaneously maintaining optimal mid-range clarity regardless of where the bass control is set. Simply rotate the dial on the back of the loudspeaker to your preferred bass setting and the speaker will do the rest. Definitive Technology recommends starting at the mid-point and then adjust to your preference from there.
10" Passive Radiator: Definitive Technology has paired the center speaker's 8" powered subwoofer with a top-firing 10" passive radiator for even bigger, deeper, louder bass that you can hear and feel.
Acoustically Transparent, Resonance-Free Cabinet: The Definitive Technology CS9080 uses a resonance-free cabinet for high performance, distortion-free sound. The speaker cabinet's maximum rigidity with strategically placed bracing improves imaging while reducing resonance, further reinforcing the speaker's clean and powerful sound. The CS9080 loudspeaker's cabinet is wrapped in an acoustically transparent cloth grille for unaltered sound. Thanks to the speaker's acoustically transparent grille, you'll enjoy the subtle elegance of the speaker design without having to remove a speaker grille to enjoy natural, uncolored sound.
Speaker & Line Level Inputs: The Definitive Technology CS9080 center-channel loudspeaker is fitted with both speaker-level (binding post) and line-level (LFE/mono-RCA) inputs.
- Binding Post Terminals: The speaker terminals are 5-way binding posts that will accommodate spade connectors, single or dual banana plugs, pin-connectors, and bare wire up to 10 gauge. By connecting the center-channel speaker-level inputs to your AV receiver's center-channel speaker output, the CS9080's internal crossover network distributes all frequencies to their intended drivers, and the integrated subwoofer works harmoniously with the mid-range array. In your AV receiver's menu, set the Center-Channel to "Large" and Subwoofer to "No".
- LFE/mono-RCA Input: For those you demand greater customization, the CS9080 also features an LFE/mono-RCA input. In this setup, your AV receiver's center-channel speaker outputs still connect to the CS9080's binding post speaker terminals, but also requires that the center-channel pre-out of your AV receiver to be connected to the center-channel speaker's LFE/mono-RCA input. This type of setup gives you the ability to control the amount of low frequencies (those below the crossover point set in your receiver) sent to the integrated subwoofer. Definitive Technology highly recommends setting the center channel speaker to "Small", subwoofer to "Yes", and the crossover point in your receiver to 80Hz or below to avoid disturbing the delicate blending between the subwoofer and midrange. In addition, careful balance between the subwoofer output level of your receiver and the bass control on the back of your speaker should be considered (Definitive Technology recommends starting with the bass control at 12 o'clock). Do not connect the center-channel's line-level input to your receiver's LFE output; the center-channel speakers are not designed to be a dedicated subwoofer.
Note: Definitive Technology recommends that you do not use your receiver's auto setup functions, as they can be ineffective in setting up and adjusting speakers with integrated powered subwoofers. Configure this center-channel speaker into your home theater system using your AV receiver's manual setup menu.
AC Power: Because the CS9080 features a built-in powered subwoofer, you will need to connect the center-channel speaker to an AC outlet. The center-channel's built-in amplifier will automatically turn-on once it's receiving an active signal from your AV receiver and will automatically turn off/standby after 20 minutes of no active signal.
Front-Panel LED: There is a front-panel LED "D" logo which illuminates when the CS9080's built-in amplifier is on, and turns off when the built-in amp is in standby. The LED "D" logo can be deactivated entirely.
Mounting & Placement Options: The Definitive Technology center-channel loudspeaker can be placed on top of a flat-surface; such as a stand, shelf, cabinet or other piece of AV furniture. Integrated rubber feet make sure the speaker stays in place and does not scratch your furniture. To optimize its performance, please follow these simple guidelines.
- The center-channel speaker should be placed as close to the center of your television as possible without obstructing your view.
- To receive the full benefit of the built-in powered sub, leave at least 1-2" of space between the top of the speaker and any surface.
Note: This center-channel speaker does not offer wall-mount compatibility.
BP9000 Series: The CS9080 is part of Definitive Technology's BP9000 series line-up of speakers. Definitive Technology's BP9000 series loudspeakers is its 4th generation of bipolar tower speakers, matching center channels, surrounds, and a height speaker module, designed to offer true, full-range performance for listeners seeking the highest quality audio reproduction. The BP9000 series of loudspeakers consists of the BP9020, BP9040, BP9060 and BP9080X bipolar tower speakers; the CS9040, CS9060 and CS9080 center-channel speakers; the SR9040 and SR9080 surround speakers; and the A90 elevation speaker module supporting Dolby Atmos.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
7 questions already asked