About the Definitive Technology Demand Series D9
Great looks and stellar sound
Great looks and stellar sound
Definitive Technology has created something that I think our music-loving customers will really enjoy. Their D9 bookshelf speakers combine an attractive cabinet design with high-tech driver technology for natural, full-bodied sound that looks great in your room.
These sharp-looking speakers feature an aluminum front baffle, along with a top-mounted passive radiator. They're the mid-sized model in Def Tech's Demand Series lineup.
Each D9 speaker uses an offset tweeter for precise stereo imaging and a wide sweet spot (right speaker shown with grille removed).
A tweeter designed with music in mind
One of the coolest parts of the D9 is its all-new tweeter design. Each speaker uses a 1" annealed (heated and then slowly cooled) aluminum tweeter for super-smooth, natural highs. Each tweeter is offset from its corresponding woofer by 5°, which helps it deliver a precise center image — a crucial component of the stereo listening experience.
Def Tech employs its Linear Response Waveguide™ on each tweeter, which helps create a wide "sweet spot" and a lifelike soundstage. Each speaker is labeled as "right" or "left" to optimize stereo playback (and for visual reference, the left speaker's tweeter is offset to the left of the woofer, and vice versa for the right speaker).
Solid midrange and bass
The D9s sport a 5-1/4" Balanced Double Surround System (BDSS) polypropylene woofer in each cabinet. These custom-designed drivers deliver articulate midrange and punchy bass.
Each speaker also features a 5" x 9" racetrack-shaped passive radiator for increased low-end extension.
Get the most out of your stand-mount speakers
I'm a proponent of using high-quality speaker stands with bookshelf speakers. They help improve the sound by giving your speakers a stable, vibration-free platform. When shopping for stands, remember that the ideal height will place the tweeters roughly level with your ears, for maximum clarity.
Speaker stands also give you more placement flexibility, since you won't be limited to a space on your shelf or table. Keeping your speakers away from the wall or the corner of a bookshelf can also prevent excessively boomy bass. Many stands even offer built-in cable management for a neat, clean install.
- pair of high-performance bookshelf speakers for music or home theater
- 1" aluminum dome tweeter with 20/20 Wave Alignment Lens™ for excellent high-frequency performance
- laterally offset tweeter assembly helps creates a precise center stereo image
- 5-1/4" BDSS™ (Balanced Double Surround System) polypropylene woofer for smooth midrange and punchy bass
- Linear Response Waveguide provides smooths off-axis frequency response and even sound dispersion
- 5" x 9" racetrack-shaped passive radiator for increased bass extension
- frequency response: 64-22,000 Hz (-3dB)
- recommended amplifier power: 20-150 watts
- sensitivity: 88 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- 5-layer high-gloss white finish
- aluminum front baffle
- removable magnetic grille
- two sets of 5-way binding posts for bi-amping or bi-wiring
Dimensions and warranty:
- 6-9/16"W x 11-13/16"H x 12-7/16"D (each)
- weight: 17 lbs. (each)
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MFBB
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Definitive Technology Demand Series D9
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5.25|
|Frequency Response||64-22k Hz|
|Connector Type||5-Way post|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||24-28|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|