About the Definitive Technology Descend DN15
The Definitive next step
The Descend DN15 rocks thunderous, high-impact bass with a 15" woofer and twin passive radiators.
The Definitive next step
Definitive Technology is known for their high-performance audio equipment and a culture of constant innovation. Their newest Descend Series subwoofers pack plenty of deep, high-output bass into relatively compact designs. The DN15 is the largest sub of the series and delivers massive, dynamic bass that sounds and feels even bigger than it looks.
This beast of a subwoofer has a 15" long-throw woofer driven by a super-clean, efficient 500-watt RMS Class H amplifier. A pair of side-firing 15" passive radiators extend the sub's low-frequency output. This proprietary 3XR™ architecture triples the radiating surface area compared to a single 15" cone, helping it get as loud and low as a ported sub — but without introducing pesky port turbulence. Definitive Technology explains that this design produces bass similar to a pair of 18" subs, but with a smaller, singular cabinet. That means you can enjoy accurate, hard-hitting bass without using up quite as much space in your room.
Simple and clean
The DN15 looks elegant and is easy to integrate into an existing system. A helpful set of rear-panel connections keep things straightforward. You can connect with the line-level stereo RCA input or a dedicated LFE input that hooks up to the subwoofer output of your home theater receiver. You can also use a pair of speaker-level five-way binding post inputs. Using the built-in variable low-pass crossover, you have control over what frequencies the sub plays when using the stereo RCA or speaker-level inputs.
Powerful DSP (Digital Signal Processing) ensures clean, distortion-free bass at all volume levels. Make fast and easy adjustments with back-panel buttons or the remote included in the box. The front of the sub has an LED display that registers the sub's status as you make changes for quick reference. Three built-in EQ presets keep things simple, letting you prioritize home theater rumble with Loud mode, rich musical bass with Deep mode, or balanced output with Flat mode.
Intelligent Phase Control™ gives you phase adjustment from -135 to 180 degrees, taking some of the guesswork out of placement and helping the sub blend in with the rest of your system.
- bass-reflex (passive radiator) enclosure
- built-in 500-watt RMS Class H amplifier (1500-watt peak)
- 15" long-throw woofer
- dual 15" 3XR passive radiators
- 56-bit Digital Signal Processor (DSP) for clean, extended bass response at high volumes
- three built-in EQ modes:
- Flat: balances low-end extension and high output across the sub's frequency range
- Deep: emphasizes low-end extension — great for music
- Loud: emphasizes high output for all frequencies — great for movies and TV
- LFE input (line-level mono-RCA) for use with a home theater receiver's sub output
- line-level stereo RCA input
- speaker-level inputs (five-way binding posts)
- 3.5mm IR and 12-volt trigger inputs for custom integration
- frequency response: 20-150 Hz
- low-pass crossover: 40-120 Hz
- Intelligent Phase Control™ for customizable phase adjustment
- -135 to 180 degrees in 45 degree increments
- back-panel toggle buttons for phase, display, and EQ
- includes remote control with volume, phase, and EQ controls
- LED on sub displays status for easy reference
- 23-7/16"W x 24-15/16"H x 25-3/16"D
- weight: 114.6 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years (woofers); 3 years (amp)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 300050-01-00-101
What's in the box:
- Powered subwoofer
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control
- CR2032 3V battery (pre-installed in remote)
- Owner's Manual
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Definitive Technology Descend DN15
Features & specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||15|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||500|
|Frequency Response||20-150 Hz|
|Preamp-Level Inputs||LFE, Stereo RCA|
|Speaker-Level Inputs||Binding posts|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||40-150Hz|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||N/A|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||3 Years|
3XR Architecture: The Definitive Technology DN15 powered subwoofer's unique 3XR Architecture means it delivers all the bass you need and then some, performing significantly louder and clearer than most other 15" powered subwoofers. The unique 3XR Architecture provides triple the bass-producing radiating surface area of a traditional ported subwoofer. This extra surface area moves more air, resulting in massive low-end bass performance. Because the DN15 has 3x the bass-radiating surface area as similar-sized ported powered subwoofers, it produces more bass from the same sized enclosure. Since the 3X Architecture design doesn't use ports, it also provides crystal-clear sound with no port noise distortion.
- Dual Passive Bass Radiators: As the core technology behind the Descend Series' 3XR Architecture, dual opposing side-firing 15" passive bass radiators enable the DN15 powered subwoofer to play as loud and low as a ported sub without unwanted port noise distortion. The Definitive Technology DN15 delivers a smooth frequency response like a sealed sub, but with the "port-like" ability to play louder and lower in a smaller enclosure.
- 15" Long-Throw Woofer: In addition to the dual opposing side-firing 15" passive bass radiators, the Definitive Technology DN15 powered sub employs a front-firing 15" long-throw active woofer powered by a built-in, custom Class D amplifier rated at 200 watt (RMS) / 500 watt (Peak) for consistently deep, impactful, dynamic bass for home theater and music systems.
Class H Digital Amplification: Powered by Class H digital amplification with an advanced 56-bit DSP that includes three custom EQ modes, the Definitive Technology DN15 delivers exceptionally impactful bass down to 20Hz.
- 500W (RMS) / 1500W (Peak): The DN15's advanced 500W (RMS / 1500W (Peak) Class H digital amplifier delivers continuous power to cleanly reproduce sustained bass down to 20Hz. With real-time monitoring and adjustments to the sliding rail voltage, the DN15 delivers considerably higher power during short, transient peaks such as bass drum kicks and on-screen artillery blasts.
- 56-Bit DSP (Digital Signal Processor): The advanced 56-bit Digital Signal Processor (DSP) extends and improves the DN15's bass response. The DSP tightly monitors and controls the woofer system to prevent distortion and woofer damage at ultra-high volumes with a minimum of audible artifacts.
Note: To prevent accidental damage to the subwoofer from overdriving the system, the DN15 features an internal overload protection circuit, which will turn the powered sub off or down when overdriven or overheated and will then resume normal operation after a few minutes.
Built-In EQ Modes: With three built-in performance EQs modes, the DN15 can be optimized to your room and listening preferences, and adjusted to match whatever you're listening to - movies, music, or games. Choose from Flat, Deep, or Loud. The EQ modes can be accessed from the included emote control or on the rear-panel of the powered sub.
- Flat: The DN15's default setting out of the box, Flat Mode provides the most balanced performance, as determined by Definitive Technology acoustic experts, providing the perfect harmony between low end extension and full spectrum maximum output.
- Deep: Deep Mode provides additional low-end output but sacrifices some maximum SPL to do so. This makes Deep Mode excellent for music, where frequency range is so critical, so instruments like a pipe organ or an upright bass are fully and evenly reproduced.
- Loud: The opposite of Deep Mode, Loud Mode sacrifices some low-end output while gaining output in all other frequencies. Loud Mode is excellent for home theater, to best accentuate explosions and other special audio effects.
Subwoofer Controls: The Descend Series DN15 features controls to help you fine-tune the phasing, volume, and low-pass crossover of the powered sub to ensure it blends perfectly with your system. As a result, you'll always have a fully balanced, smooth bottom-end regardless of your system or room. These subwoofer controls can be found on the included remote and on the rear-panel of the powered sub.
- Volume Level: You can adjust the volume level of the power subwoofer to ensure perfectly proportioned bass for your audio system and your room.
- Low Pass Crossover: The Low Pass Crossover ensures that only the frequencies intended to be reproduced by the DN15 get through to the powered subwoofer. The Low Pass Crossover can be set between 40Hz and 150Hz.
- Intelligent Phase Control: Intelligent Phase Control provides a full 360 degrees of customizable phase adjustment, always centered around the settings of the low-pass filter. This provides the ability to tune the subwoofer for minimal group delay between speakers and a flawless blending experience between your speakers and the subwoofer. The Intelligent Phase Control can be set between -135 degrees and 180 degrees in 45 degree increments.
LFE and Speaker-Level Inputs: The Definitive Technology DN15 powered subwoofer is outfitted with LFE, stereo line-level, and speaker-level inputs for flexible connectivity.
- LFE Input: The LFE (Low Frequency Effect) input consists of a mono-RCA jack which is not affected by the powered subwoofer's low pass crossover. It is designed to connect the DN15 to an AV receiver or preamp/processor which features a LFE output and bass management. Your AV receiver or preamp/processor's bass management setup will be utilized to apply a low pass crossover to the powered subwoofer.
- Stereo Line-Level Input: The stereo line-level input consists of left and right RCA jacks that can be plugged into a stereo preamp output on your integrated amplifier or stereo receiver. The setting of the low pass crossover is applied to the signal received through line-level inputs.
- Speaker-Level Input: The speaker-level input consists of 5-way binding post terminals that accept bare wire (up to 12AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single or dual). The speaker-level inputs allow the powered subwoofer to be connected to your AV receiver's main speaker outputs. The setting of the low pass crossover is applied to the signal received through speaker-level inputs.
Remote Control & Display: The Definitive Technology DN15 offers rear-panel controls and comes with an IR remote control to make EQ, Volume, Crossover, and Phase adjustments. The front-panel display indicates the EQ, Volume, Crossover, and Phase settings. The display's brightness can be set to Max, Dim-1, Dim-2, or Off. If the IR remote's line of site to the IR receiver of the powered remote is obstructed, the DN15 features an IR Input (3.5mm) that allows you to connect an IR remote repeater (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to extend control.
Placement Options: There are some general guidelines that you should keep in mind when positioning the Definitive Technology DN15 powered subwoofer in your room.
- For best results, place the powered subwoofer on the same side of the room as your front speakers. Placement near walls and in a corner will increase the powered subwoofer's output, but the sound may be "muddy" or "boomy". Moving the subwoofer even a foot or two can dramatically change the bass output and quality. Experiment with subwoofer placement to achieve the highest performance.
- An acoustic effect called "standing waves" or "room modes" may cause uneven bass at various locations throughout the room. This phenomenon is a function of the dimensions of the room and not due to the design of the subwoofer. If there is less bass at the main listening position than at other areas of the room, move the powered sub until you hear full bass at the main listening position.
- The subwoofer may be placed inside a cabinet, provided there is a clearance of at least 2" around the front, back, sides and top of the powered sub. The front of the cabinet should be completely open or covered with an open mesh grille, screen, or cloth.
3-Position Power Switch: The Definitive Technology DN15 powered subwoofer has a 3-position power switch that can be set to "Always on", "Auto on via signal", or "12V Trigger".
- Auto On Via Signal: In this mode, the DN15 powered subwoofer will turn on when it receives an audio signal at its LFE, line-level, or speaker level inputs. If no signal is sensed for a period of time (up to an hour), the powered subwoofer will automatically turn off. The blue LED on the back panel of the powered sub will light up when a signal is detected and the amplifier turns on. The LED is red when in standby and no signal is detected.
- 12V Trigger: The 12V Trigger input (3.5mm) of the DN15 allows the powered subwoofer to be remotely powered on and off from a 12V Trigger output of your AV receiver, integrated amplifier, or processor/preamplifier.
- Always On: In this mode, the DN15 powered subwoofer has to be manually turned on and off; it is not affected by signal sensing or the 12V Trigger.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Definitive Technology DN15 comes with a detachable 6' AC power cord that will need to be plugged into the back of the powered sub and into an AC wall outlet or surge protector/line conditioner (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).