About the Definitive Technology W Studio Micro™
Low-profile look, high-profile performance
The Def Tech W Studio Micro sits only 1.75" tall and includes a wireless 8" sub
Low-profile look, high-profile performance
You might've noticed that the latest TV designs don't leave a lot of room underneath for sound bars. The Definitive Technology W Studio Micro slides in below your TV, where many other bars can't fit. At a mere 1-3/4 inches high, it's one of the slimmest I've seen. And it sports a sleek, industrial design that blends well into modern minimalist room décor.
But you'll find the real story packed inside its slim, solid chassis. First, the sound. Definitive Technology makes some of our best sound bars for TV and movies, and this compact system boasts the company's celebrated, cinematic audio performance. On top of that, there's built-in Wi-Fi® for versatile wireless music options. You can play music from your smartphone, computer, and streaming services, plus sync wirelessly with speakers in other rooms.
Simple connection to your TV for detailed sound
For better sound from shows and movies, it's plug and play. The Def Tech W Studio Micro connects to your TV using the included optical digital cable. You'll hear clear dialogue, atmospheric nuances, and intense, thundering effects. Underneath the W Studio Micro's military-grade aluminum top panel, seven separate amplifiers power four midrange drivers and three aluminum dome tweeters. You also get a wireless 8" subwoofer for potent, true-to-life bass impact. (Keep in mind, you'll still need to plug both the bar and sub into AC outlets for power.)
Using a technology called DTS® Play-Fi, you can even turn this sound bar into a wireless 5.1 surround system. The bar acts as the front speakers. A pair of Play-Fi speakers can be placed behind you and used as wireless surround speakers.
Play-Fi gave us a demo of their wireless surround system using Def Tech speakers. We watched a chase scene from the latest Bourne movie. It sounded as solid as a wired 5.1 system — smooth transitions as sounds bounced back and forth or side to side.
Clarence, Crutchfield Advisor
Play music wirelessly with your smartphone or tablet
It's not all about home theater — Play-Fi gives you major wireless music benefits, too.
A free Play-Fi app for Apple® and Android™ lets you access music stored on your smartphone, tablet, or computer. There's built-in support for Pandora® Internet radio and SiriusXM. If you're a Spotify® Premium subscriber, Spotify Connect lets you access all your favorite albums and playlists. Plus, you can choose from over 37,000 free Internet radio stations.
Create a Play-Fi® whole-home music system
With Play-Fi, you can create a simple yet flexible multi-room audio system. Control all the speakers in your system at once with your smartphone or tablet, or let each member of the household control speakers independently with their own device.
And here's another cool perk: the W Studio Micro can work with Play-Fi speakers from other manufacturers. That means you can mix and match different brands of wireless speakers. You have more flexibility to pick and choose than with other wireless audio formats out there.
- ultra-slim design fits below your TV on a stand
- keyhole slots for wall mounting
- powered three-channel sound bar with seven built-in speakers
- three 1" aluminum dome tweeters
- four 1" midrange drivers
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi allows connection to your wireless home network and wireless communication with other Play-Fi devices (recommended maximum of 16 devices on a network)
- DTS Play-Fi software allows speaker to communicate with other Definitive Technology W devices, as well as other Play-Fi components and speakers
- Play-fi surround mode lets you use optional Play-Fi speakers as wireless surrounds
- plays music stored on Apple and Android smartphones and tablets
- supports Spotify Connect, Pandora, SiriusXM, and thousands of free Internet radio stations (subscription required for some services)
- DLNA support for streaming music from compatible networked computers and NAS drives
- multi-zone synchronous playback (same music plays in multiple zones simultaneously) or multi-stream playback (music individually selected for each player)
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- two optical digital audio inputs
- 3.5mm minijack input for connecting a portable music player
- USB port for firmware updates and phone charging
- 43-1/2"W x 1-13/16"H x 3-3/8"D
- 8" down-firing woofer
- syncs wirelessly with sound bar
- 12-1/2"W x 14"H x 14-1/8"D
- free Definitive Technology/Play-Fi app for Apple and Android devices offers easy music selection and playback
- plays MP3, M4A, FLAC, and WAV files; sampling rates up to 24-bit/192kHz (downsamples high-resolution PCM files to 16-bit/48kHz)
- not compatible with protected files with digital rights management (DRM)
- rear-channel signal is Dolby-decoded
- optical digital (Toslink) cable included
- system learns TV remote commands for single-remote use
- remote control
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- requires high-speed Internet, Wi-Fi router and an Apple or Android smartphone or tablet
- MFR # VGBC-A
What's in the box:
Definitive Technology W Studio Micro™ owner's manual
- Active soundbar speaker
- Wireless powered subwoofer
- AC Power supply (w/ attached 6' DC cord)
- Two 6' AC power cords
- Remote control (CR2032 battery installed)
- 6.5' Optical digital cable
- Setup Guide
- Important Product Information
- Definitive Technology Wireless Collection brochure
- Technical Support Contact Info
- Spotify note
Definitive Technology W Studio Micro™ reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Definitive Technology W Studio Micro™
Features & specs
|Number Of Channels||3.1|
|Virtual Surround||SRS TruSurround|
|Optical Digital Inputs||2|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||None|
|HDMI ARC Input||No|
|HDMI eARC Input||No|
|3.5mm Stereo Analog Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|USB Type-A Input||No|
|Tweeter||1" Dome (3)|
|Midrange||1"x3" Cone (4)|
|Subwoofer Driver||8" Cone|
|System Frequency Response||Not Given|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||96 watt|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||50 watt|
|HDMI Video Pass-through Resolution||N/A|
|HDR Video Compatible||No|
|Control by App||Apple iOS, Android|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Learns TV Remote||No|
|Bluetooth Audio Playback||No|
|Bluetooth Transmitter Mode||No|
|Online Music Sources||---|
|Files on Your Network||Yes|
|Built-in Wi-Fi Version||802.11 n/ac|
|Bands||2.4 + 5.0 GHz|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Sound Bar Size (inches)||1-13/16H x 43-1/2W x 3-3/8D|
|Sound Bar Weight||Not Given|
|Subwoofer Size (inches)||14H x 12-1/2W x 14-1/8D|
|Subwoofer Weight||Not Given|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Soundbar Speaker & Subwoofer
Wireless Music Streaming & Multiroom Capability
Soundbar Speaker & Subwoofer System
W Studio Micro Home Theater System: The Definitive Technology W Studio Micro consists of A wireless soundbar speaker with accompanying wireless subwoofer that blends high-performance home theater and musical sound with wireless music streaming and multiroom capability. The system has been designed to deliver a virtual surround sound experience without the need for an AV receiver or rear speakers. Its the perfect compliment to your high-definition or Ultra-HD flat-panel TV. Plus, it works seamlessly with Definitive Technology's DTS Play-Fi wireless speakers for multiroom audio throughout your home.
- Active Soundbar Speaker: The active soundbar speaker houses three 1" pure aluminum dome tweeters and four 1" x 3" polymer composite midrange drivers for accurate, clear natural sound. A total of 90 watts powers the soundbar to lifelike volume levels to fill even large rooms with high impact and low-distortion sound.
- Wireless Powered Sub: The wireless powered sub features a down-firing 8" high excursion woofer housed in a bass reflex enclosure (with down-firing port) that is powered by an integrated 90 watt amplifier to provide you with all the impact you want from your favorite music and movie soundtracks. An acoustically inert cabinet and integrated rubber feet prevent against unwanted audible distortion. The subwoofer connects to the soundbar speaker wirelessly via 2.4GHz with a range of up to 45', so there are no additional cables to run. If you prefer, you can used a wired minijack (3.5mm) connection between the powered sub and the soundbar. The wireless powered sub will require AC power.
Spatial Array w/ SRS TruSurround: Spatial Array Surround w/ SRS TruSurround technology uses subtle, but complex directional cues to completely free the sound from the speaker enclosure and convince your ear/brain listening mechanism that you are surrounded multiple speakers. In addition to surround sound enhancement, it improves dialog clarity and maximizes bass response. Since both of the technologies do not depend on bouncing sound off walls, it works in virtually any room and set-up configuration.
Dolby Digital & DTS Processing: The W Studio Micro supports Dolby Digital and DTS format (up to 5.1ch) for maximum audio performance. You will enjoy music and movies with full dynamic impact and the highest definition, clarity and detail.
Digital + Analog Inputs: The W Studio Micro soundbar speaker has both digital and analog inputs with two optical (toslink) digital inputs and one analog (3.5mm) minijack input allowing you to connect your Blu-Ray player, cable/satellite tuner, gaming console as well as a legacy source such as a VCR. The optical digital inputs support 2.1ch to 5.1ch audio. The analog minijack input supports 2ch audio only.
Note: The digital optical output terminals of most newer flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box). That's why Crutchfield recommends connecting your Blu-ray/DVD player and cable/satellite receiver directly to the W Studio Micro soundbar speaker's two optical digital inputs.
Audio Settings: The W Studio soundbar speaker system offers a variety of audio adjustments to enhance your overall listening experience.
- Music/Movie Modes: The Music/Movie modes optimize the system's sound characteristics such as bass level and surround effect intensity to best match what you're listening to - a movie or music soundtrack.
- Bass Control: The remote's Bass control lets you optimize the system's bass loudness to match the program material, your taste or your mood.
- Center Control: The Center control adjusts the volume of the channel that handles almost all of the dialogue duties in order to correct for differences in dialogue intelligibility from program to program.
Remote Control: The W Studio Micro includes an IR remote control for wireless operation of the soundbar speaker system.
Mounting Options: The W Studio Micro soundbar speaker can simply be placed on a flat surface in front of your TV or hung on the wall thanks to its built-in keyhole slots (mounting screws not supplied). Because the powered subwoofer is wireless, you can select practically any location that best fits your lifestyle and décor. The subwoofer's compact cabinet tucks out of the way nicely behind furniture.
Optional Wireless Rear Speakers: You can use a pair of the Definitive Technology W7 or W9 wireless speakers (both sold separately) as rear surround speakers to create a more enveloping home theater system. Use the Definitive Technology App (for Apple iOS 8.0+, Android OS 4.0+, or Windows PC 7-up) to configure the rear speakers to your wireless network and sync them with the W Studio Micro soundbar.
Wireless Music Streaming & Multiroom Capability
Definitive Technology Wireless Collection: The W Studio Micro is part of Definitive Technology's Wireless Collection which is wireless solution for distributing music anywhere in your home or office. Stream select online music services, Internet radio, and your personal digital music library all from your smartphone, tablet, or computer.
DTS Play-Fi Wireless Technology: Definitive Technology's Wireless Collection employ DTS Play-Fi wireless technology for wireless sound that is reliable and high-quality. DTS Play-Fi combines DTS audio and WiFi wireless technology to wirelessly stream high-definition "lossless" audio with no impact on sound quality. DTS Play-Fi will stream pure, bit-for-bit, lossless audio, for uncompromised quality sound; up to 16-bit/48kHz. DTS Play-Fi has a range of up to 100' from your wireless router.
Note: All DTS Play-Fi enabled products work seamlessly together, so there's no hassle adding more speakers, or choosing more than one audio brand (like Polk, Phorus, Wren, etc..) in your home.
WiFi Network: The Definitive Technology Wireless Collection system uses your home's wireless (WiFi) network for whole-house audio entertainment. The W Studio Micro connects to your home's wireless network via WiFi (802.11 g/n/ac). A dual-band (2.4/5GHZ) "N" or better router is recommended for the most reliable wireless network connection.
Simple Setup: There are two methods for connecting the DTS Play-Fi soundbar speaker to your home network. You can perform WiFi setup via the free Definitive Technology App on your Apple iOS/Android mobile device or Windows PC (this setup allows you to connect multiple Play-Fi device at once to your network). You can also use the WPS button on the soundbar speaker if your wireless router supports WPS (this setup only allows you to connect one Play-Fi device at a time to your network).
Definitive Technology App: Download the free Definitive Technology App onto your Apple iOS (8.0+) device, Android (4.0+) smartphone/tablet, or Windows (7 & up) PC for easy and convenient management of your music from your mobile device or computer. From the app you can initially set up the Definitive Technology wireless system, as well as add, link, and control all your Definitive Technology Wireless Collection and DTS Play-Fi speakers. You'll be able stream music directly from the system's built-in music online services, or music on your mobile device or PC to multiple Wireless Collection series and DTS Play-Fi enabled speakers through out your home. The app lets you browse your music by artist, album, genre, or title; and provides album art. You can choose to play the same music in each zone or a different song in each room.
Variety Of Sources: The Definitive Technology Wireless Collection supports a variety of music sources.
- Mobile Device (Apple iOS + Android): You are able to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps on your Apple iOS (6.0+) or Android (2.2+) device to the Definitive Technology Wireless collection system through the free Definitive Technology app.
- Online Music Services: From the free Definitive Technology app on your mobile device or computer, you can share and listen to Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, TIDAL (iOS only), Rdio (iOS only), Deezer (coming soon to the US), Songza (Android only), and Internet Radio.
- DLNA Compliant: The Definitive Technology wireless system is DLNA compliant for playback of various music files stored on your Windows PC (7/8/8.1/10) or DLNA-certified NAS drives connected to your home network. Use the free Definitive Technology app on your mobile device or computer to access these music files. MAC OSX computers and laptops require third party software to be visible on the network (Twonky, Plex, Servio etc.) as they do not support DLNA.
Critical Listening Mode: For those who wish to hear high resolution audio as originally intended, Critical Listening mode will enable native rendering of high resolution files up to 24-bit/96kHz, with no down-sampling or network synchronization adjustment. In this way, audio files retain their original audio integrity. Critical Listening Mode is only available on one DTS Play-Fi speaker and not supported for multiroom audio distribution.
Maximum Number of Rooms/Zones Supported: You can play the same source in each zone or a different song in each room. Eight separate wireless source devices (smartphones, tablets, etc.), each with its own source, are supported simultaneously and any wireless source device can stream to eight DTS Play-Fi playback devices. Due to the bandwidth limitations of most wireless networks, no more than 16 wireless DTS Play-Fi products on a single WiFi network at one given time is recommended.
2 questions already asked
Great sound bar! Love the fact you can increase the dialogue volume separately. Works great in our open concept living room. Highly recommend if you do not want a room full of speakers. Not impressed with Play Fi app but overall great sound bar.
Scott from Gallatin, TN