About the Definitive Technology ProCinema 600
Enjoy great performance from this compact home theater system
Enjoy great performance from this compact home theater system
Definitive's BDSS technology make these speakers deliver exceptional sound.
Definitive's compact ProCinema 600 6-piece home theater speaker system delivers excellent sound quality that'll impress your friends and family on your next movie night. This system features many of the same driver technologies found in Definitive's top-of-the-line models. It includes four small satellite speakers and a center channel, plus a 250-watt powered subwoofer for thrilling surround sound.
High-tech driver design for warm, rich soundThis system uses four of Definitive's ProMonitor 600 satellite speakers to create a spacious, enveloping soundstage. Each has one 3-1/4" midrange that uses Definitive's Balanced Dual Surround System (BDSS) driver design, which places a surround on both the outer and inner edge of the speaker cone for greater linear excursion and exceptional clarity. This technology helps the system deliver big sound using smaller speakers. The ProCenter 600 center channel uses two 3-1/4" BDSS midranges for crystal-clear dialogue and true-to-life sound effects.
Passive radiators help expand the speakers' frequency range.
Smooth highs and extended mid-bass
All five speakers have a 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter that produces extended highs, revealing nuance and shimmer without a trace of edginess. At the top of each satellite speaker and on either side of the center channel sits a 3-1/4" passive radiator cone that's pressure-coupled to the midrange woofer. These passive radiators increase the lower-midrange output of each speaker without increasing the size of the enclosure.
A passive radiator on the bottom of the subwoofer extends its bass output.
250-watt subwoofer for deep bass
Definitive's ProSub 600 adds the excitement of deep, rumbling bass. A front-mounted 8" woofer works together with a pressure-coupled low bass radiator on the bottom of the enclosure to produce hard-hitting bass. Rigid baskets and a non-resonant cabinet make sure that you hear clean bass without sound-muddying vibrations. A 250-watt amplifier and advanced crossover ensure accurate bass response. And a continuously variable low-pass crossover and a side volume control allow you to seamlessly blend the ProSub 600 in with the rest of the system.
Compact, easy-to-place speakers
The satellite speakers come with tri-lobed bases and the center channel comes with a leveler foot so you can easily place the speakers on shelves. You can also mount them on your walls using the keyhole slots for out-of-the-way placement. Connect the sub and tuck it under a table or in a corner, and you're ready to go.
Did you know?
Your new speakers will probably sound better after several weeks of use than they do right out of the box. That's because the material surrounding the woofers will loosen up, allowing the drivers to move more fully. Definitive Technology estimates a break-in period of 24 to 48 hours of playback before the speakers will deliver optimum sound quality. For more information and helpful tips, check out this article from Definitive's website about conditioning your speakers.
- includes 4 satellite speakers, 1 center channel speaker, and 1 subwoofer
- system frequency response 22-30,000 Hz
- gloss black finish
- warranty: 5 years speakers, 3 years subwoofer amplifier
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
ProMonitor 600 satellite speakers:
- sensitivity 88 dB
- 8-ohm impedance
- handles up to 150 watts
- one 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter
- one 3-1/4" BDSS bass/midrange driver pressure-coupled to one 3-1/4" bass radiator
- one pair of 5-way binding posts
- keyhole slots and pedestal base included
- 4-1/16"W x 7-1/16"H x 4-1/8"D
ProCenter 600 center channel speaker:
- video-shielded for safe placement near any TV
- sensitivity 89 dB
- 8-ohm impedance
- handles up to 175 watts
- one 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter
- two 3-1/4" BDSS bass/midrange drivers pressure-coupled to two 3-1/4" bass radiators
- one pair of 5-way binding posts
- leveler foot included
- 11-9/16" W x 4-1/16"H x 4-3/16"D
ProSub 600 subwoofer:
- bass-reflex (passive radiator) enclosure
- 8" woofer pressure-coupled to one 8" low bass radiator
- built-in 250-watt amplifier
- continuously variable low-pass 40-150 Hz crossover
- auto on/off
- speaker-level inputs and outputs
- 100 Hz fixed high-pass crossover for speaker-level outputs
- LFE input for use with home theater receiver's subwoofer output
- 10-5/16"W x 12-15/16"H x 15-1/16"D
- MFR # QDVA
What's in the box:
- 4 Matching black satellite speakers with removable cloth grilles
- Black center-channel speaker with removable cloth grille
- Black powered subwoofer with removable cloth grille
- 7' AC power cord
- 4 Large plastic inserts
- 2 Small plastic inserts
- Owner's Manual
- Online Product Registration card
Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Definitive Technology ProCinema 600
Features & specs
|Pieces in System||6|
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||3-1/4|
|Connector Type||5-way post|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Keyhole|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||28-31|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|RMS Power Range (watts)||10-175|
|Subwoofer RMS Power (watts)||250|
|Main Speakers (inches)||7-1/16H x 4-1/16W x 4-1/8D|
|Center Speaker (inches)||4-1/16H x 11-9/16W x 4-3/16D|
|Surround Speakers (inches)||7-1/16H x 4-1/16W x 4-1/8D|
|Subwoofer (inches)||12-15/16H x 10-5/16W x 15-1/16D|
5.1 Channel Speaker System: The Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 Home Theater Speaker System is designed to deliver equally superb sound with music or movies. The ProCinema 600 provides clear, high-definition sound from tiny, easy to place satellite speakers which can be shelf or wall mounted. The ProCinema 600 Home Theater Speaker System includes 4 matching satellite speakers, 1 center channel speaker, and a powered subwoofer.
Pressure Coupled Radiator Design: The ProCinema 600 satellite speakers and center-channel provide clear, high-definition sound by pressure-coupling Definitive's exclusive BDSS technology drivers to equal-sized mid/bass radiators cleverly placed on the outside of the cabinet. This technique doubles the lower-midrange radiating area of the speaker without increasing the size of the enclosure. The result is a warm and life-like sound.
BDSS Technology: Definitive Technology's Balanced Double Surround System (BDSS) driver offers a wide-bandwidth accurate frequency response, broad dispersion, low distortion, and detail retrieval; so you hear more the music with greater accuracy and enjoyment. BDSS drivers incorporate the following design features.
- Balanced Double Surrounds: The speaker's balanced double surrounds support the cone at two points to provide better mechanical stability for longer, more linear excursion, and improved damping to suppress parasitic cone resonance.
- Mineral-Filled Polymer Cone: The ProCenter 600 features a deeply drawn mineral-filled polymer cone engineered using sophisticated 3D modeling techniques for wide range performance.
- Waveguide: The cone's integrated waveguide smoothes off-axis response for broad, even dispersion and better imaging.
- High Temperature Voice Coil: The driver's high temperature, oversized, lightweight vented voice coil offers improved power handling and quick transient response. The voice coil is also lengthened to increase linearity and lower distortion.
- Magnet Structure: The driver's magnetic system is optimized by finite element analysis to maximize magnetic flux in the gap for high efficiency and linear excursion.
- Die-Cast Alloy Basket: The die-cast alloy basket minimizes ringing and vibration while the open area minimizes back wave reflection.
Available Colors: The Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 is available in a high-gloss black or white finish.
Break-In Period: The ProCinema Home Theater Speaker will sound good right out of the box; however, an extended break-in period of 20-40 hours or more of playing is required to reach full performance capability. The break-in period allows the suspensions to work in and results in full bass, a more open midrange, and smoother high frequency reproduction.
Matching Satellite Speakers: The Definitive Technology ProMonitor 600 matching satellite loudspeaker utilize state-of-the-art components (BDSS drivers coupled with a pressure-driven planar low-frequency radiators, pure aluminum dome tweeters, uniphase crossover networks, and non-resonant PolyStone cabinets with low diffraction construction) in order to achieve the most lifelike sound possible in your listening room. The ProMonitor 600 satellite loudspeakers provide the front and rear speaker channels for your home theater system.
Drivers: The Definitive Technology ProMonitor 600 satellite speakers feature a 3-1/4" BDSS driver coupled to a 3-1/4" pressure-driven planar low-frequency radiator, and a 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter.
Non-Resonant PolyStone Cabinet: The Definitive Technology ProMonitor 600 satellite speakers use a non-resonant PolyStone cabinet with low diffraction construction.
Connections: The ProMonitor 600 satellite speakers are equipped with a pair of gold-plated, 5-way binding posts to attach your receiver's speaker wire.
Mounting: The Definitive Technology ProMonitor 600 loudspeakers may be placed on a stand or shelf, or mounted on the wall or ceiling. The ProMonitor 600features a pedestal foot which allows it to fit securely and safely on a stand or shelf. The attached pedestal foot can be removed to mount the speaker to Definitive Technology's matching speaker stand (ProStand, sold separately) or to wall-mount the speaker. The ProMonitor 600 can be wall-mounted using the rear-panel keyhole slot. In addition, there is a 1/4"-20 threaded insert on the back of the speaker so you can use Definitive Technology's optional mounting bracket (ProMount 80, sold separately), or other manufacturer's bracket (sold separately) to hang the speaker on a wall or ceiling.
Note: There is a insert plug included which covers the hole in the bottom of the speaker which you will see after you remove the pedestal foot when wall-mounting the speaker.
Placement: When used as front speakers, the ProMonitor 600s should usually be placed 6 to 8 feet apart and kept away from the side walls and corners. When used as rear speakers, take care never to locate the speakers forward of the listeners. The ProMonitor 600s may be angled in towards the listening position or left parallel with the rear wall according to your personal listening taste. Normally, angling the speakers in so that they point directly at the listeners will result in more detail and greater clarity.
Center Channel: The Definitive Technology ProCenter 600 video-shielded center-channel speaker utilizes state-of-the-art components (BDSS driver coupled with a pressure-driven planar low-frequency radiator, a pure aluminum dome tweeter, a uniphase crossover network, and a non-resonant PolyStone cabinet with low diffraction construction) in order to achieve the most lifelike sound possible in your listening room. As much as 75% of a movie's soundtrack is played by the center-channel loudspeaker making it arguably the most important speaker in a home theater system. The ProCenter 600 loudspeaker is ideal for use as a center-channel speaker in conjunction with Dolby Surround Sound Pro-Logic and Dolby Digital decoding.
Drivers: The Definitive Technology ProCenter 600 features two 3-1/4" BDSS driver coupled to two side-firing 3-1/4" pressure-driven planar low-frequency radiators, and a 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter.
Non-Resonant PolyStone Cabinet: The Definitive Technology ProCenter 600 uses a non-resonant PolyStone cabinet with low diffraction construction. The speaker cabinet is available in a high-gloss black or white finish. The speaker's cabinet features a removable cloth grille.
Connections: The ProCenter 600 is equipped with a pair of gold-plated, 5-way binding posts to attach your receiver's speaker wire.
Mounting: The Definitive Technology ProCenter 600 can be mounted on a stand or shelf; or even wall-mounted. The ProCenter 600 has two threaded inserts (1/4"-20) on the back, which can be used with a pair of optional Definitive Technology ProMount brackets (735PMT80, sold separately) or other manufacture wall-mount bracket (sold separately) to mount the ProCenter 600 on the wall.
Placement: The Definitive Technology ProCenter 600 can be placed above or below your television.
Angle Adjustment: The ProCenter 600 loudspeaker has a simple built-in device which allows you to adjust the vertical angle of the speaker. There is an adjustable rubber-foot on the bottom-rear of the speaker cabinet. when you set the center-channel speaker down, the speaker will lean back and rest on this foot. By varying how far you screw in-and-out the foot, you can adjust the vertical angle of the speaker. It is recommended that you aim the center-speaker so that it aims directly towards the height of the listeners' ears.
Powered Subwoofer: The Definitive Technology ProSub 600 is an advanced state-of-the-art technology powered subwoofer with a built-in high-power, high-current amplifier and sophisticated electronic crossover, in combination with an active front-firing 8-inch high excursion woofer and 8-inch bottom-mounted passive radiator for massive bass with superior speed, control, and detail. The Definitive Technology ProSub 600 is a compact, high quality, powered subwoofer that can be used in your home theater or music speaker system.
Passive Radiator Design: The ProSub 600 features a 250-watt (RMS) amplifier driving a high-excursion 8-inch front-mounted direct-radiating woofer that is pressure-coupled to an 8-inch low-bass passive radiator on the bottom of the enclosure. The net radiating area of the ProSub 600 is 27% greater than a single 10 inch woofer but with better speed, pitch definition, and control.
PowerField Technology Amplifier: The ProSub 600 incorporates Definitive's proprietary PowerField technology, by which the amplifier is specifically engineered in conjunction with the driver for optimum load matching and power transfer characteristics. The Definitive ProSub 600 powered subwoofer incorporates a unique, patented, digitally-coupled infinite power source amplifier with a high-current direct coupled power supply and discrete MOSFET output devices to ensure perfect high-definition resolution and reproduction of the most dynamic program material and demanding sub-bass transients. Construction quality is absolutely state-of-the-art, with only the highest quality components used including mil-spec glass epoxy circuit boards and precision resistors and capacitors for many years of faultless superior performance.
High-Definition Subwoofer: The powerful, high-definition 8" polymer subwoofer driver is specifically engineered by Definitive Technology to deliver rock-solid low distortion bass, reaching down to the lowest subsonic frequencies (22-150Hz), with superior transient response. The special ultra-stiff, low-mass cone (for super-fast transient response) is joined to a specially formulated surround and long-throw voice coil and spider. The ultra-rigid basket is engineered to hold the woofer's massive magnet structure and large voice coil in absolute alignment. The high temperature voice coil is made of aluminum wound with triple insulated ultra-pure copper wire and baked in epoxy for increased power handling.
Non-Resonant Cabinet: The cabinet of a loudspeaker plays a large part in its sonic performance. Resonance and vibration can add unwanted distortion as well as drain away important energy from the system. The Definitive Technology ProSub 600 powered subwoofers utilizes a monocoque cabinet, which has been specifically engineered to be totally inert and vibration free, to ensure you of pure sonic reproduction. Monocoque means that the cabinet is of a unitized construction where all panels are permanently joined together into one solid structure. The cabinet walls themselves are high-density medite fused together by space-age polymer adhesives. The front and rear baffles are extra thick and the cabinet, itself, incorporates multiple internal braces to ensure total solidity.
Controls: A complete array of controls allows the ProSub 600 to be perfectly integrated with any stereo or multi-channel audio system, and tuned for optimum performance in any room.
- Volume Control: The ProSub 600 features a convenient front-side-mounted volume control that makes adjustments fast and easy. This precision level control allows you to perfectly adjust the volume of the subwoofer to match your system and room as well as to fulfill your own personal sonic preferences.
- Variable Low-Pass Crossover: The Definitive Technology ProSub 600 powered subwoofer has a continuously adjustable low-pass filter control which allows you to choose a roll-off of from 40 to 150 Hz for the high end of the subwoofer. This unique "dual stage" roll-off (24dB/oct) is extremely steep which ensures perfect blending with your main speakers as well as eliminating unwanted midrange from the subwoofer. This is especially important because it gives you much greater flexibility in placing your subwoofer in your room without being able to hear where it is located.
Connections: The Definitive Technology ProSub 600 powered subwoofer has a complete range of inputs and outputs to allow easy and effective hookup to any system. The ProSub 600 has a separate direct-in LFE low-level input (which bypasses the crossover network). Speaker level inputs are provided in case you do not have a subwoofer output.
- LFE Input: The Definitive Technology powered subwoofer has a low-level direct LFE input for Dolby Digital soundtracks, which bypasses the crossover network. If you are connecting the subwoofer to an AV receiver without a dedicated subwoofer or LFE preamp output, but does features a stereo RCA output, you will need to use a stereo RCA cable along with an RCA Y-adapter.
- Speaker Level In: The Speaker Level inputs (binding posts) are designed to be used on receivers or amplifiers that do not incorporate any RCA type subwoofer outputs. If your receiver is equipped with an RCA type subwoofer outputs, these speaker level inputs should not be utilized.
- Speaker Level Output: The ProSub 600 also features speaker level outputs (binding posts), so you can connect your front (main speakers) through the powered subwoofer. The ProSub 600 has a built-in speaker level high-pass crossover preset at 100 Hz (6dB/oct).
Auto Turn-On Circuit: The powered subwoofer has a special power circuit which automatically turns the powered subwoofer on when a signal is fed to the loudspeaker and turns it off when there is no signal present, so it does not require an on-off switch.
LED Indicator: The red LED on the back panel of the powered subwoofer will light up when a signal is sensed and the amplifier turns on. It will automatically turn off with the powered subwoofer, a little while after the signal is discontinued.
Protection Circuits: The Definitive Technology ProSub 600 features two protection circuits that ensure that the subwoofer can never be overdriven.
Integrated/Adjustable Feet: The ProSub 600 features four integrated feet with rubber tips so you can place it securely and safely on your home's floor. Each foot's height is adjustable to help you place the powered sub on an uneven surface.
Placement: The Definitive Technology powered subwoofer has been designed to operate at frequencies generally below 150 Hz. Because low-frequency information in this range essentially is non-directional, your subwoofer can be located anywhere in your listening room that is mot convenient. Also the continuously variable low-pass filter operate at a very fast roll-off, ensuring great performance wherever you place the subwoofer. There are, however, some general rules that you should bear in mind when locating the powered sub.
- For maximum output the subwoofer should be placed in a corner or against the wall.
- Corner placement will increase the subwoofer's efficiency, which in turn will increase your system's maximum output and improve the dynamic capability of the subwoofer.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
11 questions already asked