About the Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 65
Big-speaker sound in a compact package
Big-speaker sound in a compact package
Definitive Technology's StudioMonitor 65 gives you the kind of high-end performance you'd expect from a much larger floor-standing speaker, but in a smaller, more versatile bookshelf design. You'll hear a wide, deep soundstage with realistic imaging backed up by surprisingly deep bass — even without a sub.
Each rock-solid cabinet features two of Definitive's advanced 5-1/4" mid/bass drivers pressure-coupled to a top-mounted bass radiator for high-impact sound. Together, they provide more total bass radiating area than a 12" woofer, but with greater control, definition and speed than a single large cone. A 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter serves up crisp, extended highs that blend in beautifully with the mids and lows.
High-tech driver design for impressive performance
The StudioMonitor 65 is chock full of technology that's also found in Definitive's top-of-the-line speaker models. Its twin 5-1/4" mid/bass drivers use the latest Balanced Dual Surround System (BDSS) driver design, which places a surround on both the outer and inner edge of the speaker cone.
This helps the cone remain more stable as it moves, resulting in clearer, more accurate sound — even at high volume levels. The '65's mid/bass drivers also get Definitive's second-generation Linear Response Waveguide™. This mushroom-shaped post in the center of the cone smooths off-axis frequency response for broad, even sound dispersion and a more realistic sonic "image." That means every listener in the room gets to hear balanced, open sound with lifelike vocals and instruments.
Crisp, sparkling highs
Definitive also equipped the StudioMonitor 65 with their latest 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter. This advanced driver is first heat-treated to relax the crystal structure of the metal, then coated with a ceramic that helps produce clear, sparkling highs without a trace of edginess.
You'll easily hear the subtle high-frequency details in your music, like the sound of wire brushes gently sweeping the snare head, or the bell-like ring of a brass cymbal.
It's all in the details
Definitive paid close attention to other important design elements, too — both visible and hidden. At its heart, the StudioMonitor 65 uses a sophisticated crossover network with audiophile-grade components that include over-sized inductor coils and Mylar film capacitors. These give you a smoother, flatter frequency response, more powerful dynamics, and faster transients, for sound with real presence and immediacy.
Sturdy, vault-like cabinet construction also plays a big role in this speaker's performance. The '65's well-damped, cross-braced enclosure features a specially contoured front baffle with tapered sides to minimize diffraction and vibrations that can color your sound and reduce accuracy.
- two second-generation Balanced Dual Surround System (BDSS) 5-1/4" mid/bass drivers for clear, accurate sound at high volumes
- Linear Response Waveguide technology smooths off-axis frequency response provides broad, even sound dispersion and more realistic imaging
- rigid die-cast aluminum driver baskets resist vibration and twisting for lower distortion
- top-mounted bass radiator for outstanding low-frequency response
- second-generation 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter delivers clear, extended highs
- crossover network features oversize inductors and premium Mylar capacitors for audiophile-grade sound quality
- non-resonant braced enclosure ensures clean, uncolored sound
- wood grain matte black enclosure with high-gloss, anti-diffraction baffle and detachable cloth grille
- frequency response: 30-30,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 92 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 20-300 watts
- dual 5-way binding post speaker terminals for bi-wiring and bi-amping options
- 16-3/8"H x 7-7/8"W x 15-3/16"D
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MCAA
What's in the box:
- Black bookshelf loudspeaker
- Detachable black cloth grille
- 2 Jumpers (attached to speaker terminals)
- 4 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- Owner's Manual
- Online Product Registration card
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 65 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 65
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5.25|
|Frequency Response||30-30k Hz|
|Connector Type||5-way post|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||28.5|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
StudioMonitor Series: The Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 65 is a compact bookshelf loudspeaker designed for use in audio/video entertainment systems. Because the StudioMonitor 65 is a true full-range speaker with extended low-frequency response, it delivers superb performance both as stand-alone speaker and when combined with a separate subwoofer. Due to its compact size, wide-range, high-power handling, and natural articulate clarity; the StudioMonitor 65 loudspeaker is ideal for use as front, center, or surround speaker in a home theater environment.
2-Way Loudspeaker: Each Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 65 loudspeaker features a D'Appolito array consisting of two 5.25" second generation BDSS cast-aluminum basket midrange drivers surrounding a 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter.
- 2nd Generation BDSS Midrange: The 6.5" cast-aluminum basket midrange driver features Definitive's patented Balanced Double Surround System (BDSS) technology that supports the speaker cone at both the inner and outer edges allowing longer, more linear excursion for greater clarity and finely textured inner detail.
- Pure Aluminum Dome Tweeter: The 1" tweeter is a pure aluminum dome, which has been heat-treated to relax the crystal structure and then coated with a ceramic to produce smooth, extended highs. A new patent pending Linear Response Waveguide smoothes off-axis frequency response and disperses sound over a wider area for crystal clear intelligibility for every listener in the room.
Pressure Coupled Radiator Design: The dual 5.25" BDSS midrange drivers are pressure coupled to a top-mounted 6"x12" racetrack bass radiator to extend and amplify bass frequencies. The total bass radiating from a StudioMonitor 65 is substantially greater than that of a single 12-inch woofer but with far greater control, definition and speed than a single sluggish large woofer. The StudioMonitor 65 speaker's bass performance offers depth, detail, and musicality.
Note: Due to the top-mounted racetrack bass radiator, there should be at least 2" of space above the bookshelf loudspeaker.
Phase-Coherent Crossover Networks: The crossover network is the real heart of a loudspeaker as it is responsible for perfectly blending together the sound of the various drivers into a musically seamless whole. The sophisticated crossover network design used in the StudioMonitor 65 loudspeaker features premium audiophile-grade components; such as oversized inductors and Mylar capacitors for audiophile-grade sound quality, with linear phase and frequency response. An integrated Zobel network flattens the impedance of the system so that even budget amplifiers will be able to drive the StudioMonitor 65 loudspeaker (although a premium amplifier will bring out all the performance it has to offer). As a result, the audio signal's phase coherence, transient response, and dynamic integrity is preserved for absolutely lifelike music and home theater reproduction in your home.
Non-Resonant/Low-Diffraction Cabinet: The Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 65 bookshelf loudspeaker employs a non-resonant MDF braced enclosure that ensures pure, uncolored performance. The specially contoured high-gloss baffle around the drivers and the tapered enclosure sides enhance sound quality by minimizing diffraction distortion.
Bi-amp/Bi-wire Binding Posts: Each StudioMonitor 65 bookshelf loudspeaker has two sets of heavy-duty, all metal binding post speaker terminals (connected by metal jumpers) to attach your receiver's speaker wire. Using the dual binding posts, you can bi-amp or bi-wire the speakers for even better sound. The binding post speaker terminals will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-connectors, and banana-plugs (single only).
Color-Coded: The speaker's binding posts are color-coded (red/black) for easy identification between positive and negative.
Table-Top Mounting: The StudioMonitor 65 loudspeaker can be simply placed on a bookshelf, table-top, or speaker stand (such as the Definitive Technology StudioStand, sold separately ). Four self-adhesive rubber feet are included to protect your furniture's surface.
Wall Mounting: The optional PinPoint heavy duty side-grip wall-mounting bracket (121AM41B, sold separately) can be used to wall mount the speaker.
Note: The speaker does not include any type of wall-mount bracket, threaded inserts, or keyhole slots.
3 questions already asked