About the Definitive Technology Studio Advance
A high-performance system
A high-performance system
A wraparound grille cloth and brushed aluminum endcaps give Definitive Technology's Studio Advance a modern, industrial look. But this sound bar has more going for it than its aesthetic appeal. It has dedicated left, center, right, and surround channels driven by nine discrete built-in amplifiers to deliver precise imaging and a wide soundstage. The system also includes a wireless subwoofer to add impact to action scenes and "oomph" to soundtracks.
The remote offers independent control of the center channel and the sub, so you can dial in the level that's right for you. There are also some sound-optimizing EQ presets for movies and music. Try night mode if you are worried about disturbing the neighbors — it reduces bass and tailors overall output so you can follow what's going on, even at lower volumes.
Options for music
The Studio Advance can handle your tunes, too. You can use Chromecast built-in or Bluetooth® to wirelessly stream music, audiobooks, or podcasts from compatible devices directly to the sound bar.
The bar has keyhole slots that make it easy to wall-mount underneath your TV for a streamlined look. Do you prefer tabletop placement? No problem. It comes with two pairs of riser feet that magnetically attach to each end. Those "feet" will raise your bar up to 5/8" allowing it to clear your TV's pedestal.
- 5.1-channel system includes sound bar and wireless subwoofer
- Bluetooth and Google Chromecast built-in for wireless music streaming from compatible devices
- works with Google Assistant devices
- gives you voice control over music features and volume
- preset sound modes: movie, music, and night
- 120 watts of amplification
- dedicated left, center, right, and surround channels
- nine built-in drivers:
- six 3" midrange drivers
- three 1" aluminum dome tweeters
- Dolby® Digital and DTS® decoding
- keyhole slots for wall-mounting
- 43"W x 3-7/16"H x 4"D
- 50-watt built-in amplifier
- 8" down-firing woofer
- connects to bar wirelessly for flexible placement options
- requires AC power (cable included)
- subwoofer volume controls (via remote) to customize bass response
- 12-1/2"W x 14-13/16"H x 12-3/4"D
Connections and general info:
- 3 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output
- HDMI connections support 4K video with high dynamic range (HDR), Audio Return Channel, and HDMI-CEC
- one cable included
- 1 optical digital audio input (cable included)
- 1 minijack analog audio input
- warranty: 5 years (speakers); 3 years (amplifier)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # VIBA
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- Wireless powered subwoofer
- AC power adapter (attached 56" DC cord)
- Two 6' AC power cords
- Remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 58" HDMI cable
- 6.5' Optical cable
- 6.5' IR flasher
- 4 Riser feet
- 2 Wall-mount spacers
- Setup Guide
- Important Product Information
- Technical Support Contact Info
- Wall-Mount Template
Definitive Technology Studio Advance reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Definitive Technology Studio Advance
Features & specs
|Number Of Channels||5.1|
|Virtual Surround||Movie Mode|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||None|
|HDMI ARC Input||Yes|
|HDMI eARC Input||No|
|3.5mm Stereo Analog Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|USB Type-A Input||No|
|Tweeter||1" Dome (3)|
|System Frequency Response||Not Given|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||120|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||50|
|HDMI Video Pass-through Resolution||4K|
|HDR Video Compatible||Yes|
|Voice Control||Google Assistant optional|
|Control by App||Apple iOS, Android|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Learns TV Remote||Pre-programmed|
|Files on Your Network||No|
|Built-in Wi-Fi Version||802.11 b/g/n|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Sound Bar Size (inches)||3-7/16H x 43-1/16W x 3-7/16D|
|Sound Bar Weight||Not Given|
|Subwoofer Size (inches)||14-3/16H x 12-9/16W x 14-1/4D|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||3 Years|
Active Soundbar Speaker: The included active soundbar provides ultra-precise, high-resolution home theater sound in an ultra-sleek, brushed dark-aluminum, compact speaker enclosure. The active soundbar speaker features dedicated front, center, and surround channel drivers and amplifiers for advanced sound decoding, precise imaging, and a wider soundstage. The front left and right channels each consist of a 1" aluminum dome tweeter and a 3" midrange driver, while the surround left and right channels each consist of a 3" midrange driver. The center channel consists of one 1" aluminum dome tweeter and two 3"midrange drivers. The active soundbar speaker delivers 120 watts of continuous power for dynamic, room-filling sound.
Wireless Powered Sub: The included wireless powered sub features a downfiring 8" woofer and bass port, along with a built-in 50W amplifier for tight, accurate bass response. The wireless powered subwoofer delivers deep, immersive bass that extends the overall sonic range of the Studio Advance system. You'll be able to feel tight, accurate, room-filling bass from your movie and music soundtracks.
Dolby Digital & DTS Compatible: The Definitive Technology Studio Advance soundbar & subwoofer system will decode Dolby Digital & DTS audio (up to 5.1ch) through its HDMI and Optical digital inputs. 2ch PCM audio is also supported via HDMI and Optical digital. This 5.1ch soundbar & subwoofer system delivers an immersive virtual surround sound effect without the use of physical rear speakers.
EQ Modes: One-button EQ presets for Movies, Music and Night optimize the Studio Advance soundbar and subwoofer system for your listening content and application. These simple one-button EQ Presets let you enjoy your favorite movie and music soundtracks with crystal clear dialog, immersive sound, as well as tight and accurate bass for a captivating experience every time.
- Movie Mode: Movie mode widens the soundstage and heightens dialog and effects for an immersive home theater experience.
- Music Mode: Music mode focuses the imaging and simplifies processing; resulting in accurate, uncolored reproduction of your music.
- Night Mode: Night mode tailors the overall output and bass response for more subdued late night viewing.
Center & Subwoofer Control: You can independently increase the volume level of active soundbar speaker's center channel for clearer dialog from movie and music soundtracks, as well as increase the output level from the wireless powered subwoofer for bigger bass response from your movies and music.
HDMI 2.0 Connectivity: The Definitive Technology Studio Advance is equipped with three HDMI 2.0 inputs and one HDMI 2.0 ARC output for connection of your Blu-ray player, satellite receiver/cable box, game console, and TV. The HDMI 2.0 inputs and output support 4K Pass-Through, HDCP 2.2, HDR (High Dynamic Range), ARC (Audio Return Channel), and Dolby Digital/DTS (up to 5.1ch).
- 4K Pass-Through: 4K pass-through allows the Studio Advance to receive ultra high-definition resolution video and pass the video signal to a 4K compatible TV, projector, or display monitor. It will also pass 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p video signals.
- HDCP 2.2: HDCP 2.2 is supported by the soundbar system's HDMI input and output. HDCP 2.2 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with Ultra HD Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range) Video: HDR delivers a much higher level of contrast between light and dark to produce an image that is more realistic and closer to what the content creator imagined. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. This system supports HDR10 and HLG (not comaptible with Dolby Vision).
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): The HDMI 2.0 ARC output to connect the soundbar to your TV's HDMI ARC input. The Studio Advance soundbar's HDMI ARC output allows audio from your TV to be sent through the soundbar system. Some televisions will only pass 2ch PCM through the ARC-enabled HDMI input from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog, and will only pass Dolby Digital/DTS via the TV's built-in tuner, network apps, or USB.
Note: Use a premium high-speed 18Gbps HDMI cable for the best 4K/HDR performance.
Digital & Analog Inputs: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the Definitive Technology Studio Advance features an optical (toslink) digital input that supports Dolby Digital (5.1ch), DTS (5.1ch), and PCM (2ch). It is also equipped with a 3.5mm analog Aux input that supports 2ch stereo only.
Note: The digital optical output terminals of many newer flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blu-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
Mounting Options: The soundbar speaker offers a variety of mounting options and comes with supplied hardware toenable the soundbar to be placed in one of three places - flat on a shelf under your flat-panel TV, raised above your TV's integrated pedestal stand, or mounted on a wall. The supplied magnetic riser feet enable you to raise the soundbar speaker 0.375" off the mounting surface in order to clear your TV's pedestal stand. If you prefer to wall mount the sound bar, it has built-in keyhole slots (spaced 32" apart). The wireless powered subwoofer should be placed on the same wall as the TV and soundbar speaker (no more than 30' away from the soundbar). Placing the wireless powered sub in a corner can make the bass even more pronounced.
Power Requirements: Both, the active soundbar speaker and wireless powered sub, will require an AC power outlet connection. The active soundbar speaker comes with an external AC power adapter and detachable AC power cord, while the wireless powered sub comes with a detachable AC power cord.
Wireless Network Connection: The Definitive Technology Studio Advance offers built-in 2.4GHz WiFi (802.11 b/g/n) for wireless connectivity to your home's WiFi network router. A WiFi connection to your home's network and internet service provider (ISP) provides support for Chromecast Built-in, allowing you to wirelessly stream many of your favorite music apps from your Apple iOS or Android device, Mac computer, or Windows PC to the soundbar speaker system.
Chromecast Built-In: Chromecast built-in lets you cast many of your favorite music apps from your from your Android (OS 4.0+) or Apple iOS (8.0+) device, Mac computer, Windows PC, or Chromebook to the soundbar & subwoofer system. Chromecast built-in works over WiFi and allows you to connect more than one device at a time to the soundbar, as well as control what's playing from anywhere in the house with your compatible mobile device. Chromecast Built-In streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the highest sound quality (up to 24-bit/96kHz) and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. You'll need to download the Google Home app (for Apple iOS 10.3+ and Android OS 4.4+) in order to setup Chromecast built-in.
- Simple-to-Use: Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast Built-in compatible music app to start streaming to the soundbar speaker system. You can search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible phone, tablet or laptop. While you cast your music, you can still use your phone to answer a phone call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room, all without interrupting what's playing on the speaker system.
- Supported Content: Chromecast built-in offers Internet Radio apps like TuneIn & iHeart Radio; plus online music service apps like Pandora, Spotify (requires Premium subscription), Tidal, Google Play Music, and more. Click here for a complete list of compatible apps. You can even wirelessly stream exactly what's playing on your Android phone or tablet through the soundbar system. Or, if you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome browser to the soundbar. Chromecast built-in supports FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files.
- Multiroom Audio: Using the Google Home app (for Apple iOS 10.3+ and Android OS 4.4+), you can sync multiple speakers with Chromecast built-in in multiple rooms of your home to play the same song from a Chromecast built-in music app throughout your house at the same time. Friends and family can even use their own Chromecast compatible smartphone or tablet to cast music to your system by connecting to your home's WiFi network. Only Chromecast built-in compatible music apps are supported for multiroom audio distribution.
- Voice Control (Optional): Purchase a Google Assistant enabled wireless speaker (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The soundbar speaker system and the Google Assistant enabled device must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
- The Studio Advance is not equipped with a built-in microphone and requires an external Google Assistant device for voice control.
- Google Assistant Voice Control is limited to Chromecast built-in apps, playback functions, and volume control. You cannot control other functions of the soundbar speaker with your voice.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Definitive Technology Studio Advance system supports Bluetooth A2DP which allows you to wirelessly stream audio from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer. You'll be able to stream stored music, music apps, podcasts, audiobooks, and other audio content from your Bluetooth source device to the soundbar speaker system. You will continue to use your Bluetooth source device for playback control and to view song/artist information.
- Bluetooth will only work after the Studio Advance has been setup using the Google Home app (for Apple iOS and Android).
- The Studio Advance does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making or answering phone calls.
IR Remote: The included IR remote provides wireless control of the Definitive Technology Studio Advance soundbar & sub system.
TV Remote Control: The Studio Advance comes pre-programmed to respond to volume and mute commands from the most popular TV remotes (within the last 5 years); including Samsung, LG, Sony, Vizio and other major brands.
HDMI CEC: If your TV is connected to the Definitive Technology Studio Advance via HDMI and your TV supports HDMI CEC, you can control the volume and mute functions of the soundbar speaker system from your TV's remote control.
IR Out/In: The soundbar speaker's IR output and the included IR flasher allow the unit to be placed in front of a TV (for example, when used on a table top) without disrupting your TV's remote functions. The soundbar's IR input can be used for custom home automation systems (such as Crestron or Control 4).
1 question already asked