About the Definitive Technology Studio Slim
Full sound in a sleek package
Full sound in a sleek package
Definitive Technology's low-profile Studio Slim sound bar has a streamlined design that will look great under your TV. And at just over 1-3/4" tall, you shouldn't have to worry about it blocking the view either. What might catch your eye are modern details like its angular edge design and brushed aluminum top panel.
Your ears will be happy, too. Studio Slim's dedicated left-, center-, and right-channel drivers and built-in amps deliver precise imaging and a wide soundstage. The system also includes a wireless subwoofer to add impact to action scenes and "oomph" to soundtracks.
Brushed aluminum accents add an elegant touch.
The remote offers independent control of the center channel and the sub, so you can dial in the level that's right for you. There are also some sound-optimizing EQ presets for movies and music. Try night mode if you are worried about disturbing the neighbors — it reduces bass and tailors overall output so you can follow what's going on, even at lower volumes.
Options for music
The Studio Slim can handle your tunes, too. You can use Chromecast built-in or Bluetooth to wirelessly stream music, audiobooks, or podcasts from compatible devices directly to the sound bar.
- 3.1-channel system includes slim sound bar and wireless subwoofer
- Bluetooth® and Google Chromecast built-in for wireless music streaming from compatible devices
- works with Google Assistant devices
- gives you voice control over music features and volume
- preset sound modes: movies, music, and night
- slim design is ideal for placing below a TV on a stand
- keyhole slots for wall-mounting
- brushed aluminum top panel
- 70 watts of amplification
- seven built-in drivers:
- four 3"x1" midrange drivers
- three 1" aluminum dome tweeters
- 43-9/16"W x 1-7/8"H x 3-3/8"D
- 100-watt built-in amplifier
- 8" down-firing woofer
- connects to bar wirelessly for flexible placement options
- requires AC power (cable included)
- subwoofer volume controls (via remote) to customize bass response
- 12-9/16"W x 14"H x 12-9/16"D
- weight: 14.25 lbs.
Connections and general info:
- 1 HDMI ARC input (cable included)
- 1 optical digital audio input (cable included)
- there is no support for video passthrough
- warranty: 5 years (speakers); 3 years (amplifier)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # VICA
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- Wireless powered subwoofer
- AC power adapter (attached 56" DC cord)
- Two 6' AC power cords
- Remote control (CR3025 battery installed)
- 58" HDMI cable
- 6.5' Optical cable
- Setup Guide
- Important Product Information
- Technical Support Contact Info
More details on the Definitive Technology Studio Slim
Features & specs
|Pieces in System||2|
|Tweeter||1" Dome (3)|
|Woofer||3" x 1" (4)|
|Surround Sound Decoding||5.1|
|Auto Volume||Night mode|
|4K Video Compatible||No|
|HDR Video Compatible||No|
|Audio Return Channel||Yes|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||Pre-programmed|
|Voice Control||Google Home optional|
|Control by App||Google Home (iOS/Android)|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||No|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|System Frequency Response||Not Given|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||70|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||100|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||None|
|Sound Bar (inches)||1-7/8H x 43-9/16W x 3-3/8D|
|Sound Bar Weight||Not Given|
|Subwoofer (inches)||14H x 12-9/16W x 14-1/4D|
Active Soundbar Speaker: The included active soundbar provides ultra-precise, high-resolution home theater sound in an ultra-sleek, brushed dark-aluminum, compact speaker enclosure. The active soundbar speaker features dedicated left, center and right channel drivers and amplifiers for advanced sound decoding, precise imaging, and a wider soundstage. The left and right channels each consist of a 1" aluminum dome tweeter and 3"x1" oval midrange driver. The center channel consists of one 1" aluminum dome tweeter and two 3"x1" oval midrange drivers. The active soundbar speaker delivers 70 watts of continuous power for dynamic, room-filling sound.
Wireless Powered Sub: The included wireless powered sub features a downfiring 8" woofer and bass port, along with a built-in 100W amplifier for tight, accurate bass response. The wireless powered subwoofer delivers deep bass that extends the overall sonic range of the Studio Slim system. You'll be able to feel tight, accurate, room-filling bass from your movie and music soundtracks.
Dolby Digital & DTS Compatible: The Definitive Technology Studio Slim soundbar & subwoofer system will decode Dolby Digital & DTS audio (up to 5.1ch) through its HDMI and Optical digital inputs. 2ch PCM audio is also supported via HDMI and Optical digital. In addition the STudio Slim incorporates DTS TruSurround, which is a virtual surround sound solution that delivers a realistic surround sound effect from a 3.1ch soundbar & subwoofer system.
EQ Modes: One-button EQ presets for Movies, Music and Night optimize the Studio Slim soundbar and subwoofer system for your listening content and application. These simple one-button EQ Presets let you enjoy your favorite movie and music soundtracks with crystal clear dialog, immersive sound, as well as tight and accurate bass for a captivating experience every time.
- Movie Mode: Movie mode widens the soundstage and heightens dialog and effects for an immersive home theater experience.
- Music Mode: Music mode focuses the imaging and simplifies processing; resulting in accurate, uncolored reproduction of your music.
- Night Mode: Night mode tailors the overall output and bass response for more subdued late night viewing.
Center & Subwoofer Control: You can independently increase the volume level of active soundbar speaker's center channel for clearer dialog from movie and music soundtracks, as well as increase the output level from the wireless powered subwoofer for bigger bass response from your movies and music.
HDMI ARC Output: The Definitive Technology Studio Slim features one HDMI ARC output to connect the soundbar to your TV's HDMI ARC input. The Studio Slim's HDMI ARC output allows audio from your TV to be sent through the soundbar system. The HDMI ARC output supports Dolby Digital (5.1ch), DTS (5.1ch), and PCM (2ch).
- Some televisions will only pass 2ch PCM through the ARC-enabled HDMI input from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog, and will only pass Dolby Digital/DTS via the TV's built-in tuner, network apps, or USB.
- The HDMI ARC Output only supports audio transmission and does not support any type of video signals.
Optical Digital Input: In addition to HDMI ARC, the Definitive Technology Studio Slim features an optical (toslink) digital input that supports Dolby Digital (5.1ch), DTS (5.1ch), and PCM (2ch).
- The digital optical output terminals of many newer flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blu-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
- This system is not equipped with an analog audio input.
Mounting Options: The active soundbar speaker should be centered under or above your TV. It can be tabletop or wall mounted. There are keyhole slots on back of the soundbar for wall-mounting (mounting screws not included). The wireless powered subwoofer should be placed on the same wall as the TV and soundbar speaker (no more than 30' away from the soundbar). Placing the wireless powered sub in a corner can make the bass even more pronounced.
Power Requirements: Both, the active soundbar speaker and wireless powered sub, will require an AC power outlet connection. The active soundbar speaker comes with an external AC power adapter and detachable AC power cord, while the wireless powered sub comes with a detachable AC power cord.
Wireless Network Connection: The Definitive Technology Studio Slim offers built-in 2.4GHz WiFi (802.11 b/g/n) for wireless connectivity to your home's WiFi network router. A WiFi connection to your home's network and internet service provider (ISP) provides support for Chromecast Built-in, allowing you to wirelessly stream many of your favorite music apps from your Apple iOS or Android device, Mac computer, or Windows PC to the soundbar speaker system.
Chromecast Built-In: Chromecast built-in lets you cast many of your favorite music apps from your from your Android (OS 4.0+) or Apple iOS (8.0+) device, Mac computer, Windows PC, or Chromebook to the soundbar & subwoofer system. Chromecast built-in works over WiFi and allows you to connect more than one device at a time to the soundbar, as well as control what's playing from anywhere in the house with your compatible mobile device. Chromecast Built-In streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the highest sound quality (up to 24-bit/96kHz) and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. You'll need to download the Google Home app (for Apple iOS 10.3+ and Android OS 4.4+) in order to setup Chromecast built-in.
- Simple-to-Use: Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast Built-in compatible music app to start streaming to the soundbar speaker system. You can search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible phone, tablet or laptop. While you cast your music, you can still use your phone to answer a phone call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room, all without interrupting what's playing on the speaker system.
- Supported Content: Chromecast built-in offers Internet Radio apps like TuneIn & iHeart Radio; plus online music service apps like Pandora, Spotify (requires Premium subscription), Tidal, Google Play Music, and more. Click here for a complete list of compatible apps. You can even wirelessly stream exactly what's playing on your Android phone or tablet through the soundbar system. Or, if you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome browser to the soundbar. Chromecast built-in supports FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files.
- Multiroom Audio: Using the Google Home app (for Apple iOS 10.3+ and Android OS 4.4+), you can sync multiple speakers with Chromecast built-in in multiple rooms of your home to play the same song from a Chromecast built-in music app throughout your house at the same time. Friends and family can even use their own Chromecast compatible smartphone or tablet to cast music to your system by connecting to your home's WiFi network. Only Chromecast built-in compatible music apps are supported for multiroom audio distribution.
- Voice Control (Optional): Purchase a Google Assistant enabled wireless speaker (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The soundbar speaker system and the Google Assistant enabled device must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
- The Studio Slim is not equipped with a built-in microphone and requires an external Google Assistant device for voice control.
- Google Assistant Voice Control is limited to Chromecast built-in apps, playback functions, and volume control. You cannot control other functions of the soundbar speaker with your voice.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Definitive Technology Studio Slim system supports Bluetooth A2DP which allows you to wirelessly stream audio from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer. You'll be able to stream stored music, music apps, podcasts, audiobooks, and other audio content from your Bluetooth source device to the soundbar speaker system. You will continue to use your Bluetooth source device for playback control and to view song/artist information.
- Bluetooth will only work after the Studio Slim has been setup using the Google Home app (for Apple iOS and Android).
- The Studio Slim does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making or answering phone calls.
IR Remote: The included IR remote provides wireless control of the Definitive Technology Studio Slim soundbar & sub system.
TV Remote Control: The Studio Slim comes pre-programmed to respond to volume and mute commands from the most popular TV remotes (within the last 5 years); including Samsung, LG, Sony, Vizio and other major brands.
HDMI CEC: If your TV is connected to the Definitive Technology Studio Slim via HDMI and your TV supports HDMI CEC, you can control the volume and mute functions of the soundbar speaker system from your TV's remote control.
IR Out/In: There is an IR output on the back of the soundbar that can be used with an IR repeater (sold separately), if the placement of the soundbar speaker blocks the IR sensor on your TV. There is also an IR input on the back of the active soundbar for use with custom home automation systems (such as Crestron or Control 4).