About the Definitive Technology W9
Add serious sound to any (and every) room in your house
The Definitive Technology W9 offers robust, dynamic sound that's perfect for a large bedroom, living room, or kitchen.
Add serious sound to any (and every) room in your house
Imagine coming home after work, cueing up a song on your smartphone, and sending it to speakers throughout your home. Definitive Technology's W multi-room music system makes this a reality. Their W9 wireless speaker can form the basis of your wireless system, or simply stand on its own as an excellent and elegant music player. Connect it to your Wi-Fi® network, control it with your smartphone or tablet, and you'll be enjoying a wealth of music in minutes. Add more speakers or components to play different songs in each room, or stream the same tune everywhere in party mode. You'll quickly discover that convenience doesn't trump sound quality in this high-performance speaker.
Play loads of music wirelessly with your smartphone or tablet
The Definitive Technology W9 offers lots of ways to listen to music. A free app for Apple® and Android™ is your hub for accessing music stored on your smartphone or tablet. You can also stream music from networked computers and music servers. If you're one of the millions of Spotify® Premium subscribers, Spotify Connect lets you access all your favorite albums and playlists. There's built-in support for Pandora® Internet radio and SiriusXM (SiriusXM requires Android device; iOS support coming in 2015). Plus, you can choose from over 37,000 free Internet radio streams, for a nearly endless supply of music and other programming.
The W9's tri-polar design uses drivers on three sides, to deliver spacious sound with crystal-clear detail.
Play-Fi® turns every smartphone into its own music system
The key to the Definitive Technology W9's wireless music capability is Play-Fi. Developed by audio innovator DTS, Play-Fi allows you to send the same song to multiple speakers, play a different song in every room, or let each member of the family control speakers independently with their own device. Play-Fi can transmit lossless audio at CD quality to up to 16 speakers or components on your network. Best of all, the W9 can work with other Play-Fi speakers from other manufacturers. That means you can mix and match different brands of wireless speakers, offering more flexibility than closed systems.
Innovative tri-polar design/rework
We're not accustomed to hearing such three-dimensional sound coming from a single box speaker. But when we played high-quality lossless files with the W9, the sound seemed to emanate from all around as it bathed our demo room in sound. The secret is the W9's tri-polar design. In addition to the four front-facing drivers, there are 2" full-range drivers on each side panel. These speakers reflect sound off nearby walls, creating a lush, spacious sound that can fill a large room. We also loved the deep, punchy bass response, and the dynamic agility of this speaker, which can get plenty loud if you need it to.
Other inputs and options
While designed for wireless music streaming, the W9 also has analog and digital inputs, so you could connect a portable music player like an iPod Classic® or even a Blu-ray player or streaming media device using the optical input. Control buttons on the front of the speaker let you toggle between sources, adjust the volume, and pause the music.
Explore more Definitive Technology W products and build your whole-house music system
W7 - Compact size, great sound, easy wireless music listening with your smartphone or tablet.
W9 - Huge, spacious sound and deep bass make this a formidable wireless speaker.
W Adapt - Add wireless music to your existing stereo.
W Amp - Connect a pair of speakers to this amplified wireless player.
W Studio - This sound bar and subwoofer bring wireless music to your home theater.
- six built-in drivers powered by dedicated amplifiers
- two 5-1/4" front-firing mid/bass drivers, two front-firing 1" aluminum dome tweeters, and two side-firing 2" full-range drivers
- tri-polar design offers accurate, balanced sound that's widely dispersed
- DTS Play-Fi software allows speaker to communicate with other Definitive Technology W devices, as well as other Play-Fi components and speakers
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi allows connection to your wireless home network and wireless communication with other Play-Fi devices (recommended maximum of 16 devices on a network)
- free Definitive Technology/Play-Fi app for Apple and Android devices offers easy music selection and playback
- plays music stored on Apple and Android smartphones and tablets
- supports Spotify® Connect, Pandora®, Rhapsody, Amazon Prime, TIDAL, SiriusXM, and thousands of free internet radio stations (subscription required for some services)
- DLNA support for streaming music from compatible networked computers and NAS drives
- multi-zone synchronous playback (same music plays in multiple zones simultaneously) or multi-stream playback (music individually selected for each player)
- easy wireless setup using your smartphone or tablet
- plays MP3, M4A, FLAC, and WAV files; sampling rates up to 24-bit/192kHz
- not compatible with protected files with digital rights management (DRM)
- optical digital audio input
- 3.5mm AUX input for connecting an iPod or other portable music player
- Ethernet port
- USB port for firmware updates and phone charging
- play/pause and volume buttons
- AC adapter included
- 16-9/16"W x 7-1/2"H x 8"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- requires high-speed Internet, Wi-Fi router and an Apple or Android smartphone or tablet
- MFR # BGPA-A
What's in the box:
- Active wireless speaker
- 5.5' AC power cord
- 5' Stereo minijack cable
- Setup Guide
- Important Product Information
Definitive Technology W9 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Definitive Technology W9
Features & specs
|USB Port||FW only|
|Wi-Fi Bands||2.4 + 5.0 GHz|
|Max. Digital Audio Bit Depth||24-bit|
|Max. Digital Audio Sample Rate||192 kHz|
|Bose Home Speaker||No|
|Control by app||iOS,Android,Windows|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
W9 Wireless Speaker: The W9 is Definitive Technology's flagship wireless speaker. Created for the audio enthusiast with unrelenting performance expectations, the W9 delivers exceptional dynamic range and extraordinary bass response.
Tri-Polar Speaker Technology: Speakers on the front baffle and on both sides of the enclosure create a "Tri-Polar" dispersion pattern that radiates sound off of the surrounding walls for a broad soundstage with spacious imaging. Combining a built-in digital amplifier, digital signal processing, a pair of dome tweeters, dual midbass woofers, and two side-firing full-range drivers, the Definitive Technology W9 is able to produce an impressive sound.
- 6Ch Digital Amplifier: Each woofer, tweeter, and full-range driver has its own dedicated amplifier channel for greater dynamic range and performance. 10 watts is delivered to each tweeter and full-range driver, while 70 watts is delivered to each midbass woofer.
- Multiple Drivers: The W9 features a total of six drivers. There are two front-firing 1" aluminum dome tweeters, dual front-firing 5.25" midbass woofers, and a pair of side-firing 2" full-range drivers (opposite sides).
Definitive Technology Wireless Collection: The W9 is part of Definitive Technology's Wireless Collection which is wireless solution for distributing music anywhere in your home or office. Stream select online music services, Internet radio, and your personal digital music library all from your smartphone, tablet, or computer.
Note: Due to bandwidth limitations of most wireless networks, Definitive Technology does not recommend more than 16 wireless Play-Fi devices on the same WiFi network at a given time.
Wired or Wireless Network Connectivity: The Definitive Technology W9 is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to hardwire the speaker to your home's network router. The W9 also features built-in WiFi (802.11 g/n; 2.4/5.0GHz) for a wireless connection to your home network.
DTS Play-Fi Wireless Technology: Definitive Technology's Wireless Collection employ DTS Play-Fi wireless technology for wireless sound that is reliable and high-quality. DTS Play-Fi combines DTS audio and WiFi wireless technology to wirelessly stream high-definition "lossless" audio with no impact on sound quality. DTS Play-Fi will stream pure, bit-for-bit, lossless audio, for uncompromised quality sound; up to 16-bit/48kHz. DTS Play-Fi has a range of up to 100' from your wireless router.
Simple Setup: There are two methods for connecting the DTS Play-Fi speaker to your home network. You can perform WiFi setup via the free Definitive Technology App on your Apple iOS/Android mobile device or Windows PC (this setup allows you to connect multiple Play-Fi device at once to your network). You can also use the WPS button on the speaker if your wireless router supports WPS (this setup only allows you to connect one Play-Fi device at a time to your network).
Definitive Technology App: Download the free Definitive Technology App onto your Apple iOS (8.0+) device, Android (4.0+) smartphone/tablet, or Windows (7/8) PC for easy and convenient management of your music from your mobile device or computer. From the app you can initially set up the Definitive Technology wireless system, as well as add, link, and control all your Definitive Technology Wireless Collection and DTS Play-Fi speakers. You'll be able stream music directly from the system's built-in music online services, or music on your mobile device or PC to multiple Wireless Collection series and DTS Play-Fi enabled speakers through out your home. The app lets you browse your music by artist, album, genre, or title; and provides album art. You can choose to play the same music in each zone or a different song in each room.
Variety Of Sources: The Definitive Technology Wireless Collection supports a variety of music sources.
- Mobile Device (Apple iOS + Android): You are able to wirelessly stream your music files from your music library on your Apple iOS (6.0+) or Android (2.2+) device to the Definitive Technology Wireless collection system through the free Definitive Technology app.
- Online Music Services: From the free Definitive Technology app on your mobile device or computer, you can share and listen to Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, TIDAL, Amazon Music, Songza, Rhapsody, and Internet Radio.
- Computer Music Library: The Definitive Technology wireless system is DLNA compliant for playback of various music files stored on your Windows PC (7/8) or DLNA-certified NAS drives connected to your home network. Use the free Definitive Technology app on your mobile device or computer to access these music files. MAC OSX computers and laptops require third party software to be visible on the network (Twonky, Plex, Servio etc.) as they do not support DLNA.
Critical Listening Mode: For those who wish to hear high resolution audio as originally intended, Critical Listening mode will enable native rendering of high resolution files up to 24-bit/96kHz, with no down-sampling or network synchronization adjustment. In this way, audio files retain their original audio integrity. Critical Listening Mode is only available on one DTS Play-Fi speaker and not supported for multiroom audio distribution.
Maximum Number of Rooms/Zones Supported: You can play the same source in each zone or a different song in each room. Eight separate wireless source devices (smartphones, tablets, etc.), each with its own source, are supported simultaneously and any wireless source device can stream to eight DTS Play-Fi playback devices. Due to the bandwidth limitations of most wireless networks, no more than 16 wireless DTS Play-Fi products on a single WiFi network at one given time is recommended.
Analog & Digital Inputs: The W9 is fitted with a stereo minijack (3.5mm) input and a optical (toslink) digital input. The minijack input will accommodate any analog source with a analog or headphone output. The optical digital input lets you connect your digital audio device (2ch PCM only). These inputs can only be played back at the speaker location and cannot be used for a multiroom application.
Stereo Pair: The Definitive Technology App (for Apple iOS 8.0+, Android OS 4.0+, or Windows PC 7-up) lets you link two W9 speakers together to create a stereo image with discrete left and right speakers. This is perfect for larger spaces or for the enthusiast who wants a stereo image. After you setup a stereo pair, the two W9 speakers will show up as one "Speaker" under the speaker tab of the Definitive Technology.
Wireless Surround: You can use a pair of the W9 wireless speakers (all sold separately) as rear surround speakers with Defintive Technology's W Microbar soundbar (735MCROBAR, sold separately) to create a more enveloping home theater system. Use the Definitive Technology App (for Apple iOS 8.0+, Android OS 4.0+, or Windows PC 7-up) to configure the rear speakers to your wireless network and sync them with the W Studio Micro soundbar.
AC Power Adapter: The Definitive Technology W9 wireless speaker operates off of standard household current using the included 5.5' AC power cord (100-240V~50/60Hz, 180W) .
6 questions already asked