About the NAD MDC2 BluOS-D
Make your NAD C 399 wireless
Make your NAD C 399 wireless
This module adds BluOS multi-room streaming and Dirac Live room correction to your NAD C 399.
The MDC2 BluOS-D module adds two-way BluOS streaming and Dirac Live room correction to your NAD C 399 integrated amp (sold separately). It's the first add-on in NAD's next-generation architecture of the MDC (Modular Design Components) that they introduced in 2006 to "make obsolescence obsolete."
Part of a BluOS multi-room system
This module adds compatibility with Bluesound's BluOS wireless ecosystem. That means you can integrate your C 399 into a whole-home audio system that gives you easy access to all your favorite music. Stream songs on your main hi-fi system and send the music to other Bluesound speakers and components around your home, so the tunes follow you from room to room.
Flexible streaming options
BluOS can wirelessly transmit high-res music up to 24-bit/192kHz with no lag and zero loss in sound quality. Stream music from personal local drives or from internet streaming services. The selection of supported services — including TIDAL, Spotify®, Qobuz, and Amazon Music, among others — is one of the most impressive we've seen. You can also stream via Apple AirPlay® 2 or Bluetooth with high-quality aptX® HD audio coding.
New two-way communication also lets this module stream music from your connected sources — even a turntable — to BluOS components in other rooms.
A free app with advanced control options
Operate your system via Wi-Fi® using the BluOS Controller app with your Apple® or Android™ device, or your Windows® or Mac® computer. It gives you flexible control over your entire music system. Play the same song everywhere or stream different music to different zones at the same time. You can even use your Apple Watch to control your system.
Dial in perfect sound for your space
It's rare that you find an acoustically perfect space for your system. The module's Dirac Live function lets you compensate for your room's acoustics to get clear and accurate bass and a balanced soundstage across the audio spectrum. Use the supplied mic and free user-friendly app to measure your room's acoustics, then upload correction curves to the module. Thanks to its two-way architecture, the Dirac Live room correction works for all sources connected to the amp.
- add-on module for NAD C 399 integrated amplifier
- this module only works in MDC2 slots; it will not work in MDC slots
- BluOS compatibility for expanding your system with Bluesound multi-room wireless speakers and components
- free BluOS control app for iOS®, Android, Windows, and Mac OS X®
- support for over 20 streaming services including Spotify, Deezer, TIDAL, Qobuz, Amazon Music, and more
- support for hundreds of free internet radio stations
- Dirac Live room correction
- calibrated microphone included for Dirac setup
- Bluetooth compatibility for streaming music from compatible mobile devices and computers
- aptX® HD encoding provides high-quality music streaming from supporting devices
- Apple® AirPlay® 2 lets you stream easily from an iPhone® or iPad® and ask Siri to play Apple Music
- supports multi-room audio with compatible wireless speakers
- works with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant-compatible devices
- compatible file types: MP3, AAC, WMA, OGG, WMA-L, FLAC, ALAC, WAV, AIFF, and MQA
- supports high-resolution playback (up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution)
- Ethernet port
- USB (Type A) input for connecting USB thumb drives and compatible external hard drives
- USB mini (Type B) input for service only
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth antennas included
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MDC BluOS-D
What's in the box:
- MDC BluOS-D module
- Auto calibration microphone
- USB microphone adapter
- Wifi antenna
- Bluetooth antenna
- 2 Screws
- Mounting Instructions
- Dirac Live LE for NAD Quickstart Guide
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the NAD MDC2 BluOS-D
MDC2 BluOS-D Module: NAD's MDC2 BluOS-D module lets you add Dirace Live Room Correction, BluOS high-resolution multiroom audio, Bluetooth aptX, and USB audio to select NAD hybrid digital integrated amplifiers (including the NAD C 399), giving you access to great sounding wireless and wired audio streaming. The all new MDC2 architecture allows signals to be passed back and forth between the module and compatible NAD component, opening up a far wider range of upgrade options and future expansion.
Dirac Live Room Correction: The MDC2 BluOS-D is the first expansion module offered by NAD that adds Dirac Live room correction to a two-channel component. You'll use the supplied calibration microphone and the intuitive Dirac Live Room Correct Software (for Windowss & Mac) to analyze your listening area's acoustics, and then upload correction filters to the MDC2 BluOS-D module. As well as correcting peaks and dips in frequency response, Dirac Live optimizes impulse response by learning how sounds reflect off various surfaces in the listening space. The result is dramatically improved bass clarity, imaging, and timbral accuracy, on music and movie soundtracks. The MDC2 BluOS-D module can store up to five Dirac profiles for different listening positions and room conditions (for example whether the drapes are open or closed).
Note: The MDC2 BluOS-D contains a built-in Lite version (LE) of the Dirac Live Room Roccrection Software for Windows & Mac. There is an option to upgrade to a full-featured, full-frequency response version for $99.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The MDC2 BluOS-D allows your compatible NAD component to connect to your home network and ISP (Internet Service Provider) via a hardwired Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45) jack connector or wireless dual-band 2.4/5GHz WiFi (802.11ac) connection. Either network/internet connection allows you to stream music from internet radio, select online music services and stored music libraries on your network using BluOS.
Note: Make sure the included Wifi antenna is installed for a wireless network connection.
BluOS Wireless High-Resolution Multiroom Audio: The MDC2 BluOS-D makes your compatible NAD integrated amplifier part of the BluOS wireless high-resolution multiroom audio eco-system - consisting of powered speakers, soundbar speakers, amplifiers, players, and hard-drives. The BluOS wireless high-resolution multiroom audio ecosystem uses your home's wired or wireless network to connect multiple Bluesound products and play your music in perfect sync, or different music simultaneously, anywhere in your home. BluOS can wirelessly transmit lossless music up to 24-bit/192kHz at ultra-fast speeds with no lag and zero loss in sound quality.
- Compatible Multiroom Audio Sources: The following audio sources can be used for multiroom audio playback - internet radio (including TuneIn & iHeart Radio); online music services (including Tidal, Spotify, Amazon, Deezer, Slacker, and Napster); Bluetooth & USB audio, music libraries (from computers and NAS drives), plus analog & digital inputs (including line-level, phono, optical, coaxial, and HDMI).
- Number of BluOS Zones: Up to 16 Bluesound devices can be connected in a strictly wireless environment. Demonstrated practice has shown that you can create up to 8 groups of 8 Bluesound devices or 4 groups of 16 Bluesound devices. If you want to connect more than 16 Bluesound devices, you will need to connect the Bluesound devices to your network using a wired connection. BluOS can then control up to 64 devices in a strictly wired environment.
BluOS Controller App: The free BluOS Controller app (for Apple iOS 9.3-up, Android OS 4.1-up, Windows XP-up, and Mac OS X 10.7-up) turns your mobile device or computer into a full-featured wireless remote control the BluOS wireless multiroom audio system. The BluOS Controller app on your compatible device uses your home's WiFi network to connect with Bluesound devices, so you can play all the music you love anywhere in your home for a wireless multiroom music experience. Get on-demand access to your music libraries on your home network, stream live Internet radio from almost any place in the world, or listen to one of the many music services available on Bluesound, all from the palm of your hand with the easy-to-use BluOS Controller app.
- Multiroom Audio: Play a different song at the same time in different rooms, or group all your BluOS enabled devices together and listen to your favorite music in perfect sync throughout your home.
- Now Playing Screen: Control your music and adjust the volume in any room, get rich album artwork and detailed artist info, right from the Now Playing screen. Even check what quality you are streaming at to ensure the best possible listening experience.
- Individual Songs & Playlists: Tap a song and have it play instantly, or create and edit playlists on the fly by simply adding songs or entire albums to the play queue. Playlists can then be saved inside the app and listened to at any time.
Alexa & Google Assistant Voice Control: The MDC2 BluOS-D allows support for Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant voice control. Using an Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant enabled device (sold separately - see Accessories Tab), you can use your voice to access your music libraries on your local network, select presets from online music services, control music playback functions such as Play/Pause/Skip, adjust volume levels, play music in different rooms, and even group rooms together. Each Alexa voice command will need to start with the phrase "Alexa or Google, ask Blue Voice to" or "Alexa or Google, tell Blue Voice to". Alexa and Google Skills for BluOS will need to be setup through the Amazon Alexa app (for Apple iOS 11.0+ or Android OS 4.4+) or the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+ ).
- The Bluesound device does not feature a built-in microphone and requires a separate Alexa or Google Assistant enabled device (sold separately - see Accessories tab) for voice control.
- Click here for more information regarding Alexa setup and voice commands. Clich here for more information regarding Google Assistant setup and voice commands.
High Resolution Audio: High-resolution audio tracks are either 24-bit/96kHz or 24-bit/192kHz, and contain up to 6.5x more data than standard CDs, letting you hear all the detail of your favorite music in superior quality. With full support for hi-res audio, you can stream WAV, FLAC, ALAC, AIFF, WMA-Lossless, MQA music files over your home's WiFi network or directly from a connected USB mass storage class device. Bluesound also supports compressed music files such as MP3, AAC, WMA and OGG. Bluesound has been designed to work with today's larger music collections, and has indexed libraries up to 200,000 songs in demonstrated practice (this will depend on the music's metadata & artwork). Bluesound also offers gapless playback by default for all supported file music types.
|Compression||File Type||Sampling Frequency||Bit Rate or Bit Depth|
|Lossless||WMA-Lossless||up to 96 kHz||up to 24-bit|
|FLAC||192 kHz||up to 24-bit|
|Uncompressed||AIFF||up 192 kHz||up to 24-bit|
Notes: Bluesound cannot index or play AAC files with the extension ".m4p". These files were purchased in iTunes prior to 2009 and are subject to copy protection. Apple Consumers with an iTunes Match subscription can delete and re-download these files free of charge from their iTunes Cloud
Master Quality Authenticated (MQA): BluOS will playback and decodes MQA content from BluOS network audio sources. Master Quality Authenticated (MQA) is a revolutionary end-to-end technology built into BluOS that captures and delivers master quality audio. BluOS includes a powerful decoder and audio renderer for the MQA system. This ensures that MQA-encoded audio files sound exactly like the source. MQA indicators are shown in the BluOS app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android OS device.
Online Music Services: Many popular music streaming services and internet radio apps are built right into BluOS, giving you an all-access pass to millions of songs and the freedom to listen to everything you want to hear. Using the BluOS Controller app, you can instantly discover and enjoy millions of songs from your existing music services, tune in to your favorite internet radio stations and podcasts from around the world, or access and listen to the music collections stored on your smartphone, tablet or laptop on any and Bluesound in your home. Subscription and purchase fees will apply to online music services.
- Amazon Music: Listen to millions of songs, thousands of playlists, and ad-free personalized stations with Amazon Prime & Unlimited Music. With the addition of Amazon Music HD, you will now be able to play Ultra HD music (24-bit/48kHz to 192kHz) on supported Bluesound devices from the BluOs App when choosing Amazon Music. An Amazon Music (Prime, Unlimited, or HD) subscription will be required
- Spotify Connect: If you subscribe to a free or paid Spotify subscription and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you can stream Spotify to the Bluesound system using Spotify Connect. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
- TIDAL Connect: The integration of Tidal Connect will enable Tidal users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the Bluesound device from within the Tidal app (for Apple iOS and Android OS). TIDAL is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. TIDAL has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access TIDAL's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality.
- Qobuz: Qobuz offers the biggest catalog of Hi-Fi and Hi-Res albums in the world, both for new releases and specialized genres. For hundreds of thousands of albums, Qobuz includes all the information you need to recreate the appeal of a real CD - the names of musicians, producers, lyrics (everything you need to know to appreciate your favorite albums). Qobuz offers MP3, CD, and Hi-Res quality subscriptions.
- SiriusXM: SiriusXM Internet Radio is accessible through the BluOS app and lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more. Subscription fees will apply.
- TuneIn: The Bluesound system includes access to more than 70,000 free internet radio streams from all corners of the globe via the TuneIn internet radio service. Just select the TuneIn logo from the main Music menu and browse among the 70,000 stations neatly organized into popular categories and select a station that appeals to your mood.
- iHeart Radio: iHeart Radio is a free, all-in-one digital radio and music streaming service that lets you listen to thousands of live stations from across the country and allows you to create personalized custom stations featuring songs from the artist you select and similar music.
- Napster: Napster is a streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) that allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.
- Slacker: Get the sound quality that you deserve with the new Slacker music library available in high-quality AAC audio on Bluesound. Listen to music streams at a bitrate of 320kbps and enjoy all your favorite Slacker stations in pristine MP3-quality.
- Deezer: Deezer lets you explore over 53 million tracks (and counting), and discover artists and tracks you'll love with personalized recommendations from the Deezer Editors. Bluesound even supports Deezer HiFi for lossless quality ($19.99 per month).
- Other Services: Other online music services include HighResAudio, Murfie, JUKE, KKBox, SoundMachine, and more.
Note: Availability of online music services may vary by region. Not all services may be available at time of purchase. Some services may be added or discontinued from time to time based on decisions of the music service providers or others.
Computer Audio: BluOS lets you easily connect and share your music collection from a computer or network-attached storage drive and access up to 200,000 tracks for wireless streaming. The BluOS wireless music system will pull music from an existing digital music library across the network on your Windows PC, Mac computer, or NAS drive using Windows or SMB File Sharing (SAMBA) and the BluOS Controller app for Windows (XP-up) & Mac (OS X 10.7-up). However, File Sharing is not enabled by default on Windows or Mac. You will have to manually alter these settings in your computer's menu system.
AirPlay 2 with Siri: With AirPlay 2, you'll be able to stream just about any sound (including music, books, podcasts and more) from your iPhone, iPad, or Mac to the Bluesound system - all in sync. You can even watch movies and videos from Netlfix or YouTube on your Apple device while streaming the audio through to the Bluesound system. AirPlay 2 also gives you more options for control, including using Siri voice assistance. If you are an Apple Music subscriber and add the Node 2i to the Apple Home App on your iPhone or iPad, you can use your iOS device or HomePod to say things like - "Hey Siri, play jazz in the Living Room" or "Hey Siri, turn up the volume in the Kitchen." You can even group Gen 2i Bluesound products with older Bluesound products in the BluOS App to add AirPlay 2 compatibility to your entire BluOS system.
Bluetooth aptX HD: The MDC2 BluOS-D features two-way wireless Bluetooth capability that is powered by aptX HD for the highest possible sound quality available. aptX HD supports 48kHz/24-bit LPCM audio over a Bluetooth wireless connection for a "better-than-CD" listening experience. The MDC2 BluOS-D can act as a Bluetooth Receiver or Bluetooth Transmitter (but not both at the same time). The Bluetooth Receiver and Transmitter modes are only accessible via the BlueOS App. You can pair multiple devices with the unit, but only one device can be connected and used at a time (the BluOS Controller app must be used for pairing). The MDC2 BluOS-D has a Bluetooth wireless range of approximately 33'.
- Receiver Mode: In Receiver mode, you can wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your smartphones, tablets and laptops to the MDC2 BluOS-D. You can control basic playback functions (Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track) from the touchscreen, but your Bluetooth source device will have to be used for more advanced music navigation. The MDC2 BluOS-D does not display song/artist/album information. However, you can view song/artist information and album art from the BluOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device.
- Transmitter Mode: In Transmitter mode, you can wirelessly stream analog & digital inputs and BluOS network content to a set of Bluetooth enabled headphones (only one set of headphones can be connected at a time). Because the MDC2 BluOS-D does not support Receiver & Transmitter mode simultaneously, you cannot listen to a Bluetooth audio streaming source on a set of Bluetooth headphones. There is no audio output from your NAD component when the MDC2 BluOS-D is wirelessly streaming to a set of Bluetooth headphones.
Note: The included antenna (for Bluetooth) must be screwed into the MDC2 BluOS-D module.
Dual USB-A Ports: The MDC2 BluOS-D module features two USB (type-A) ports to directly connect your USB mass storage class (MSC) device; such as a thumbdrive or external hard-drive. The unit's USB ports support music playback from these compatible USB devices formatted in FAT 32. Not only can USB audio be played back on your compatible NAD hybrid digital integrated amplifier, but can also be wirelessly distributed to the rest of your Bluesound components throughout your home for multiroom playback. The USB ports are not compatible with the direct connection of an Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad or Android devices.
Note: There is also a mini-USB (type-B) port that is used for service purposes only (not for consumer use). Only authorized service personnel can access this USB port.