About the NAD C 446 Digital Media Tuner
Unleash your digital music
Unleash your digital music
Do you love your digital music collection, but hate the small, tinny sound of your computer's built-in speakers? NAD's C 446 Digital Music Player solves the problem by allowing you to play your digital music on your high-performance audio system. Using DLNA and universal plug-and-play (UPnP) streaming standards, it accepts audio files from wherever they're stored on your network, like your computer, Android phone, Apple device, or network hard drive. It also streams Internet radio stations. It then sends a high-quality audio signal through your receiver or amplifier and out to your speakers for stunning, room-filling sound.
High-quality circuitry and components put your music first
The C 446 supports all the most popular digital formats — MP3, FLAC, WMA, WAV, and AAC — and has a built-in, audiophile-quality 192kHz/24-bit DAC (digital-to-analog converter) for music lovers who want to enjoy the quality found in high-resolution audio files. Along with the analog audio circuitry, the C 446 reproduces your favorite music files with natural warmth and rich detail. Plus, this tuner doesn't just make digital files sound great, your favorite AM and FM radio stations will come through clean and clear.
Play music from your computer, digital music device, and more
Connect this player to your home network and you can stream music from any networked computer. Connecting to a Windows® 7-based PC is easy thanks to the latest version of Windows Media Player. Simply connect the C 446 to your home theater system, open WMP, and choose the tuner from the drop-down "play to" list. For computers running older versions of Windows, Linux, or Apple operating systems, you can download free streaming software, like Twonky, to send your music to the tuner. This software will also work with most newer versions of Apple's iPod®, iPhone®, and iPad®, as well as Android devices, allowing them to act as UPnP servers and stream music directly to the C 446 via your wireless home network. A front-panel USB port lets your friends get in on the action, too, using a thumb drive loaded with their favorite digital music files.
Stream fresh music from all over the world
The C 446 knows no boundaries when it comes to serving up great radio from around the world. The easy-to-navigate NAD Radio Portal allows you to browse over 15,000 Internet radio station and podcasts. You can customize lists with all your favorites, which you can then access in the "My Favorites" screen on the C 446.
- plays music from your computer and the Internet on your home audio system
- connects to your wired home network
- supports playback of WMA, MP3, AAC, WAV/PCM, and FLAC files
- plays Internet radio stations and podcasts
- plays local FM/AM radio stations
- DLNA-certified plays music stored on a DLNA-compatible Windows® PC
- 192kHz/24-bit digital-to-analog converter for superior sound
- Ethernet port for a wired connection to a home network (cable not included)
- optical digital audio output and stereo analog audio outputs for connecting to a receiver or amplifier
- USB audio input (front panel) accepts a thumb drive loaded with digital music files
- port for optional NAD ipod dock
- RS-232C port for use with home automation systems
- remote control
- detachable power cord
- 17-1/8"W x 3-3/4"H x 14"D
- weight: 10.23 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # C446
What's in the box:
- Digital Media Tuner
- 68" AC power cord
- WiFi antenna
- TNR 2 Wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- AM loop antenna
- FM dipole antenna
- 75 ohm to 300 ohm adapter
- Quick start guide
- Warranty information
NAD C 446 Digital Media Tuner reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the NAD C 446 Digital Media Tuner
Overview: The NAD C 446 Digital Media Tuner plays Internet Radio, AM and FM radio, USB devices, music stored on your network (on a computer or other DLNA or UPnP certified device), and your iPod/iPhone (when used with an optional NAD IPD 2 iPod dock). The C 446 connects to your home network via Ethernet or WiFi and features a front-panel USB port. The C 446's outputs include analog stereo RCA and optical digital.
Network Connection: The network connection can be hardwired (via the RJ-45 port) or wireless (using the built-in 802.11/b/g WiFi card).
WiFi Security: The C 446 supports WPA and WPA2, but not WEP.
Sleep Timer: The Sleep Timer will turn the C 446 off after 15, 30, 45, 60, 75, or 90 minutes.
- Wireless Remote: the included TNR 2 wireless remote controls the C 446
- IR In: 3.5mm IR input; allows you to connect the C 446 to an infrared repeater
- RS-232: used with an external controller; AMX, Crestron or a compatible PC using NAD's proprietary PC software
- +12V Trigger: 3.5mm +12 volt input; turns the C 446 on when it receives a trigger from another component
Audio Outputs: The C 446 features both analog RCA and optical digital audio outputs.
Internet Radio: The NAD C 446 lets you access Internet Radio stations from around the world. Search for new stations, for popular stations, by location, or by genre (country, Christian, rock, hip-hop, top-40, etc). You can also search for only high quality stations and for podcasts. Specific station names can be entered using the C 446, or using NAD's vtuner portal on the internet. The My Favourites section gives you easy access to stations you memorize.
vTuner: The C 446 supports the online vTuner service which offers easy browsing of internet radio stations and podcasts on your computer. vTuner enables access to web-based radio stations and podcasts via a reliable online database with a wide variety of content. You can browse content by Genre, Location, Language, and Favorites.
UPnP: The C446 utilizes UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) client to allow playback of audio files stored in a home network, such as a computer, NAS (network-attached storage), Apple iOS device or Android phone. The C 446 browses your UPnP server content over the local network. The computer, NAS or mobile devices on the network are all potential servers.
iPod/iPhone Connectivity: By adding the optional IPD 2 iPod dock (item number 745IPD2, sold separately), the C 446 can be used to control an iPod or iPhone:
- Music Navigation:You can control your connected iPod/iPhone from the C 446's remote control or from your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen.
- Music Information Display: The C 446 display panel shows the elapsed playing time and song title, artist name, and album name (the iPod display is also active).
- Charging: The C 446 will charge your connected iPod or iPhone.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The NAD C 446 is compatible with the following iPod/iPhone models (as of October 2011):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Media Type||Control Type||Track/Artist Info Display||Charge|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to revert to the older software version or wait until a newer software update is available.
USB Audio Playback: The NAD C 446 is equipped with a front-panel USB (Type-A) port for easy connection of a USB storage device. The USB port supports playback of WAV, FLAC, AAC, MP3, and WMA audio files and devices formatted in FAT 16 or FAT 32. The song title, artist name, album name can be displayed the unit's front-panel display.
Compatible Audio Formats: The C 446 supports the following audio formats and bit rates:
|WAV||up to 1,536 kbps|
|FLAC||up to 1,500 kbps|
|AAC||up to 320 kbps|
|MP3||up to 320 kbps|
|WMA||up to 320 kbps|
Presets: Up to 40 presets (a mix of AM and FM stations) can be memorized for easy recall. The presets can be tuned directly using the remote's numeric keys. Each preset can be assigned a 12-character user name.
Direct Tuning: The station frequency can also be entered directly using the remote's numeric keys.
RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
- Antenna Input:
- FM: threaded F-connector
- AM: spring terminals
- Analog Output: stereo RCA output jacks
- Digital Output: optical digital output (Toslink)
- Ethernet: RJ-45 port for connection to wired LAN
- WiFi: threaded terminal for use with included wireless LAN antenna
- RS232: RS-232 port for connection to external control systems from companies such as AMX or Crestron
- MP Dock: port for optional IPD 2 iPod dock (item number 745IPD2, sold separately)
- IR In: 3.5mm mini-jack input; control unit without line-of-sight access using an optional IR repeater
- +12V Trigger: 3.5mm mini-jack input; turn the C 446 on/off remotely from another component having a +12V trigger output
- Power: IEC 2-prong removable power cord
- USB: USB Type-A port for a flash drive memory device
- Compatible Media Formats:
- WAV: up to 1,536 kbps
- FLAC: up to 1,500 kbps
- AAC: up to 320 kbps
- MP3: up to 320 kbps
- WMA: up to 320 kbps
- Analog Output: 2 volts RMS
- Ethernet Terminal: 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX
- Wireless LAN:
- System: IEEE 802.11 b/g
- Security: WPA, WPA2
- Standby Power Consumption: 0.5 watts
- Usable Sensitivity: 10 dBμ
- 65 dB (mono)
- 60 dB (stereo)
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 15 kHz (+/-1.5 dB)
- Channel Separation:
- 33 dB (30 Hz)
- 40 dB (1 kHz)
- 32 dB (10 kHz)
- Capture Ratio: 3 dB
- 0.4% (mono)
- 0.8% (stereo)
- Usable Sensitivity: 55 dBμ
- S/N: 42 dB
- THD: 1.5%
- Frequency Response: 100 Hz to 2.3 kHz (+/-6 dB)
- Selectivity: 20 dB
1 question already asked