About the NAD C 588
A solid, sophisticated turntable
Our customers have raved about NAD's C 558, so I was excited to see what upgrades were made for the C 588. Notably, the renowned electronics giant added metal feet with tuned vibration isolation to further stabilize the base. The turntable's high-quality carbon fiber tonearm features a factory-installed Ortofon 2M Red cartridge that brings beautiful music out of every record groove. This turntable is a beauty that will look — and sound — amazing in any vinyl lover's listening room.
- heavy glass platter with felt mat provides excellent speed stability
- 9" high-grade carbon fiber tonearm
- includes factory-installed Ortofon 2M Red moving magnet cartridge
- isolated DC synchronous motor for reduced vibration and superior speed stability
- medium density fiberboard (MDF) plinth
- metal feet with tuned vibration isolation
- gold-plated RCA audio jacks with detachable phono cables
- high-gloss black lacquer finish
- fully manual operation
- precise electronic speed control
- 33-1/3 and 45 rpm speeds (manual speed change)
- 78 rpm with optional pulley (not included)
- speed variation: 33 rpm: ±0.35%, 45 rpm: ±0.30 %
- wow and flutter: 0.01%
- signal to noise ratio: 70dB
- frequency response (with included cartridge): 20-22,000 Hz (±3dB)
- requires a phono preamp or phono input on receiver or preamplifier
- 17-3/16"W x 5"H (with dust cover down) x 16-1/4"D
- weight: 19.7 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # C588
What's in the box:
- Turntable (tonearm and catridge pre-installed)
- Sub-platter (pre-installed)
- Felt mat
- 45RPM adapter
- AC power adapter (attached 4' DC cord)
- 3 AC plug inserts (US/UK/EU)
- 47" Stereo RCA cable with ground lead
- 4 Protective discs
- Stylus pressure gauge
- Plastic tonearm bearings tool
- Paper cartridge alignment tool
- Pair of cloth gloves
- Quick Setup Guide
More details on the NAD C 588
Belt Driven with Speed Control: The NAD C 588 turntable employs a belt drive design with electronic speed control for 33-1/3 and 45 RPM playback. A 45 RPM adapter is included.
Precision AC Motor with Isolated AC Power Supply: The C 588's specialized, high precision, synchronous clock motor is both very smooth and accurate, especially when driven from a stable AC voltage. To ensure a clean and stable AC voltage NAD isolates the AC Mains by first converting it to a clean DC voltage, and then electronically generating the precise AC frequency to regulate the synchronous motor. Using a specially formulated belt to drive the platter further filters and isolates any remaining vibration. All rotating parts are made from aluminum alloy machined to very tight tolerances to eliminate any eccentricity or vibration in the drive system.
Carbon Fiber Tonearm with Ortofon 2M Red MM Cartridge: The C 588 features a custom designed carbon fiber tonearm shaft with a fixed metal head shell and features a decoupled counterweight and magnetic anti-skate compensation. An Ortofon 2M Red cartridge is factory installed and offers superb tracking and a delicately nuanced full range sound. The C 588 uses a longer than usual 9" tonearm to optimize overhang and reduce the tracking angle error. To perfectly align the stylus we include adjustments for azimuth and vertical tracking angle, and include a gauge to calibrate the alignment, a rarity at this price point.
Mechanical Coupling of the Platter & Tonearm: To fully realize the micro-dynamics of music requires a very tight mechanical coupling of the platter and the tonearm. This forms a triangle, as vibrations can travel from record being played, to the platter, through the shaft and bearing to the base (plinth), up the arm mount through the arm pivot and down the arm to the cartridge and stylus. There are many separate parts in this path and some of them are required move relative to one another through mechanical bearing interfaces. If there is any play in these mechanical interfaces musical energy will be lost. This why NAD has paid strict attention to precision machining, assembly, and testing that is so important in a turntable.
Non-Resonant Construction: Reducing all spurious vibrations to a minimum is critical to getting the best result when playing vinyl. Since these vibrations can come from various sources, both internal and external, the materials and dimensions must all be carefully calculated reduce and balance all the resonances to prevent a buildup of energy at particular frequencies. To isolate external vibrations NAD uses a massive MDF base with specially tuned vibration damping feet, along with a thick non-resonant dust cover. The choice of a rigid MDF plinth, precision alloy sub platter, 10mm glass platter with felt pad, carbon fiber tonearm, and low resonance dustcover were all carefully considered to work together to limit and reduce spurious vibration.
Stereo RCA Outputs: The NAD C 588 is outfitted with stereo RCA output jacks and ground terminal. A 47" stereo RCA cable with ground lead is included. Make sure the turntable is connected to the Phono (MM) input of your receiver or integrated amplifier. If your receiver or integrated amp is not equipped with a Phono (MM) input, you will need to purchase an external phono-preamplifier (such as the NAD's phono-preamps, sold separately).
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?