About the NAD CI 720 V2
An audiophile amp that's loaded with streaming possibilities
An audiophile amp that's loaded with streaming possibilities
NAD's CI 720 V2 rack-mountable stereo amplifier lets you enjoy high-resolution lag-free digital music playback using Bluesound's proprietary BluOS™ operating system. The free BluOS app gives you easy access to your tunes via Wi-Fi®. This latest version is even more convenient, with Apple® Airplay® 2 built-in. You can also directly connect audio sources via its USB, optical, and analog RCA inputs.
Note: The CI 720 V2 must be connected to your network via an Ethernet cable.
A wealth of high-resolution streaming options
Bluesound's BluOS wireless music system can send 24-bit/192k high-res music to any room in your home, without any loss of sound quality. Stream music from your personal library or from internet streaming services. The selection of supported services — including TIDAL, Spotify®, and Rhapsody®, among others — is one of the most impressive we've seen.
A free app with advanced control options
The BluOs Controller app gives you flexible control over your music system, letting you access, control, and stream music to different BluOS-enabled zones. Synchronize multiple audio zones, or stream different music to different zones at the same time. The app works with your compatible Apple® or Android™ device or your Windows® or Mac® computer. You can even use your Apple Watch to control your system.
Geared toward custom whole-house installations, this stereo amp packs 60 watts per channel into a slim chassis — its "blade" form factor lets you install up to six CI 720 V2s in a single 3U rack space. The optional RM 720 custom rack accessory with power management and Ethernet switching simplifies your installation.
- 60 watts x 2
- connects to your home network via wired Ethernet for music streaming
- Apple® AirPlay® 2 built-in
- includes support for Spotify, Deezer, TIDAL, Qobuz, Amazon Music, Napster and Calm Radio
- free internet radio from TuneIn Radio and iHeartRadio
- BluOS compatibility for further expansion with Bluesound wireless speakers
- free BluOS controller app for iOS®, Android, Windows, and Mac OS X
- up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution playback
- compatible file types: MQA, MP3, AAC, WMA, OGG, WMA-L, FLAC, ALAC, WAV, and AIFF
- HybridDigital™ amplifier technology for high-fidelity sound with minimal distortion
- 3U-height "blade" chassis — fit up to 6 units in a single 3U rack space
- thermostatic fan cooling for enhanced reliability
- compatible with leading third-party control systems like Control4, Crestron, RTI, and URC
- universal voltage (100V-240V)
- Ethernet port for wired connection to a home network
- stereo RCA input
- Toslink optical digital audio input
- USB Type-A input for connecting a USB memory stick and other compatible devices (FAT32 formatted)
- USB Type-B mini input
- 3.5mm IR input
- Phoenix-style Euroblock speaker output
- mono RCA subwoofer output
- 2-13/16"W x 4-3/4"H x 13-13/16"D
- weight: 3.5 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CI720V2
What's in the box:
- Network stereo zone amplifier
- 2' AC power cord
- 39" Ethernet cable
- Speaker terminal block
- 2 Machine screw
- Quick Setup Guide
- Warranty Information
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the NAD CI 720 V2
Network Stereo Zone Amplifier: The 60-watt per channel, single-zone CI 720 V2 Network Stereo Zone Amplifier with HybridDigital amplification technology is the perfect addition to today's most advanced custom home audio systems. Featuring 60 watts per channel and powered by BluOS, an advanced high-resolution music management operating system, the CI 720 V2 allows you to access and stream 24-bit high-res music with the control of a smartphone or tablet via Ethernet and third-party control systems like Control4, Crestron, RTI and URC.
HybridDigital Amp Technology: With 60 watts per channel, and up to 165 watts of Dynamic Power on tap, the CI 720 V2's integrated HybridDigital amp can drive any speaker to lifelike sound levels without adding noise or distortion.
USB Port: The CI 720 V2 features a USB (type-A) port to directly connect a USB mass storage class (MSC) device; such as a thumbdrive or external hard-drive. The unit's USB port supports music playback from these compatible USB devices formatted in FAT 32. Not only can USB audio be played back on the CI 720 V2, but can also be wirelessly distributed to the rest of your Bluesound components throughout your home for multiroom playback.
Note: The USB port is not compatible with the direct connection of an Apple iOS or Android OS devices.
Analog & Digital Inputs: The CI 720 V2 also features both analog and digital inputs. There is one stereo RCA input and one optical (toslink) digital input. Both inputs support 2ch PCM audio (not compatible with Dolby Digital/DTS). Not only can the analog & digital input audio be played back on the CI 720 V2, but these inputs can also be wirelessly distributed to the rest of your Bluesound components throughout your home for multiroom playback.
Speaker Outputs: The NAD CI 720 V2 features a removable phoenix-style terminal block for its speaker outputs. You can connect one pair of speakers (4 or 8 ohm).
Sub Output: The CI 720 V2 features a mono-RCA subwoofer output for adding practically any powered sub (sold separately) with a line-level input and built-in low-pass crossover.
IR In: This 3.5mm input is connected to the output of an IR repeater (sold separately) or the IR output of another component to allow control of the CI 720 V2 from a remote location.
Thermostatic Fan Cooling: The CI 720 V2's highly efficient energy-saving amplifier and thermostatic fan cooling adds enhanced reliability.
Mounting Options: The CI 720 V2 can simply be placed on a shelf or be installed to a wall using the two keyhole-slots on the side of the network stereo zone amplifier. To facilitate mounting the CI 720 V2 in a rack, NAD offers the RM 720 Rack Mount Accessory (745RM720, sold separately). This useful accessory allows six CI 720 V2s to occupy a 3U rack space, providing a neat and tidy installation. The RM 720 also includes blanking plates for a neat front-panel when less than six amplifiers are installed.
Bluesound Wireless High-Resolution Audio Eco-System: The NAD CI 720 V2 is part of the BluOS wireless high-resolution multiroom audio eco-system - consisting of powered speakers, soundbar speakers, amplifiers, players, and hard-drives. The BluOS wireless high-resolution multiroom audio ecosystem uses your home's wireless WiFi network to connect multiple Bluesound products and play your music in perfect sync, or different music simultaneously, anywhere in your home. BluOS can wirelessly transmit lossless music up to 24-bit/192kHz at ultra-fast speeds with no lag and zero loss in sound quality.
- Compatible Multiroom Audio Sources: The following audio sources can be used for multiroom audio playback - internet radio (including TuneIn & iHeart Radio); online music services (including Tidal, Spotify, Amazon, Deezer, Slacker, and Napster); USB audio, music libraries (from computers and NAS drives); as well as hardwired analog & digital audio inputs..
- Number of BluOS Zones: Up to 16 Bluesound devices can be connected in a strictly wireless environment. Demonstrated practice has shown that you can create up to 8 groups of 8 Bluesound devices or 4 groups of 16 Bluesound devices. If you want to connect more than 16 Bluesound devices, you will need to connect the Bluesound devices to your network using a wired connection. BluOS can then control up to 64 devices in a strictly wired environment.
Ethernet Jack: A wired Ethernet (RJ-45) connection is required to setup and operate the CI 720 V2 (no built-in WiFi). Using the supplied Ethernet cable, connect one end of the Ethernet cable to CI 720 V2's LAN port and the other end to the corresponding LAN port of your wired Ethernet broadband router.
Note: The NAD CI 720 V2 does not offer built-in WiFi for a wireless network connection.
BluOS Controller App: The free BluOS Controller app (for Apple iOS 9.3-up, Android OS 4.1-up, Windows XP-up, and Mac OS X 10.7-up) turns your mobile device or computer into a full-featured wireless remote control for the BluOS wireless multiroom audio system. The BluOS Controller app on your compatible device uses your home's WiFi network to connect with Bluesound devices, so you can play all the music you love anywhere in your home for a wireless multiroom music experience. Get on-demand access to your music libraries on your home network, stream live Internet radio from almost any place in the world, or listen to one of the many music services available on Bluesound, all from the palm of your hand with the easy-to-use BluOS Controller app.
- Multiroom Audio: Play a different song at the same time in different rooms, or group all your BluOS enabled devices together and listen to your favorite music in perfect sync throughout your home.
- Now Playing Screen: Control your music and adjust the volume in any room, get rich album artwork and detailed artist info, right from the Now Playing screen. Even check what quality you are streaming at to ensure the best possible listening experience.
- Individual Songs & Playlists: Tap a song and have it play instantly, or create and edit playlists on the fly by simply adding songs or entire albums to the play queue. Playlists can then be saved inside the app and listened to at any time.
Alexa & Google Assistant Voice Control: The CI 720 V2's BluOS functionality will support Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant voice control through an over-the-network firmware update (now available). Using an Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant enabled device (sold separately - see Accessories Tab), you can use your voice to access your music libraries on your local network, select presets from online music services, control music playback functions such as Play/Pause/Skip, adjust volume levels, play music in different rooms, and even group rooms together. Each Alexa voice command will need to start with the phrase "Alexa or Google, ask Blue Voice to" or "Alexa or Google, tell Blue Voice to". Alexa and Google Skills for BluOS will need to be setup through the Amazon Alexa app (for Apple iOS 11.0+ or Android OS 4.4+) or the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+ ).
- The NAD network stereo zone amplifier does not feature a built-in microphone and requires a separate Alexa or Google Assistant enabled device (sold separately - see Accessories tab) for voice control.
- Click here for more information regarding Alexa setup and voice commands. Click here for more information regarding Google Assistant setup and voice commands.
Supported Music Formats: The Bluesound wireless audio system supports both low-res and high-res audio files; including MP3, AAC, WMA, OGG, FLAC, ALAC, WMA Lossless, MQA, WAV, and AIFF. Bluesound has been designed to work with today's larger music collections, and has indexed libraries up to 100,000 songs in demonstrated practice (this will depend on the music's metadata & artwork). Bluesound also offers gapless playback by default for all supported file music types.
|Compression||File Type||Sampling Frequency||Bit Rate or Bit Depth|
|Lossless||WMA-Lossless||up to 96 kHz||up to 24-bit|
|FLAC||192 kHz||up to 24-bit|
|Uncompressed||AIFF||up 192 kHz||up to 24-bit|
Notes: Bluesound cannot index or play AAC files with the extension ".m4p". These files were purchased in iTunes prior to 2009 and are subject to copy protection. Apple Consumers with an iTunes Match subscription can delete and re-download these files free of charge from their iTunes Cloud
MQA (Master Quality Authenticated): Bluesound is the first wireless multiroom audio system to support MQA (Master Quality Authenticated). MQA is a revolutionary end-to-end technology that captures and delivers master quality audio in a file that's small enough to stream or download. Bluesound worked closely with MQA to implement technology inside each Bluesound component to ensure the listener will hear MQA encoded music and streams exactly like the source and the way the artist intended you to hear it when it was approved in the studio.
Note: MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) support will require a firmware update.
Online Music Services: Many popular music streaming services and internet radio apps are built right into BluOS, giving you an all-access pass to millions of songs and the freedom to listen to everything you want to hear. Using the BluOS Controller app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device, you can instantly discover and enjoy millions of songs from your existing music services, tune in to your favorite internet radio stations and podcasts from around the world, or access and listen to the music collections stored on your smartphone, tablet or laptop on any and Bluesound in your home. Subscription and purchase fees will apply to online music services.
- Amazon Music: Listen to millions of songs, thousands of playlists, and ad-free personalized stations with Amazon Prime & Unlimited Music. With the addition of Amazon Music HD, you will now be able to play Ultra HD music (24-bit/48kHz to 192kHz) on supported Bluesound devices from the BluOS App when choosing Amazon Music. An Amazon Music (Prime, Unlimited, or HD) subscription will be required.
- Spotify Connect: If you subscribe to Spotify Premium and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you can stream Spotify to the Bluesound system using Spotify Connect. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
- TIDAL Connect: The integration of Tidal Connect will enable Tidal users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the Bluesound device from within the Tidal app (for Apple iOS and Android OS). TIDAL is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. TIDAL has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access TIDAL's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality.
- TuneIn: The Bluesound system includes access to more than 70,000 free internet radio streams from all corners of the globe via the TuneIn internet radio service. Just select the TuneIn logo from the main Music menu and browse among the 70,000 stations neatly organized into popular categories and select a station that appeals to your mood.
- iHeart Radio: iHeart Radio is a free, all-in-one digital radio and music streaming service that lets you listen to thousands of live stations from across the country and allows you to create personalized custom stations featuring songs from the artist you select and similar music.
- Napster: Napster is a streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) that allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.
- Slacker: Get the sound quality that you deserve with the new Slacker music library available in high-quality AAC audio on Bluesound. Listen to music streams at a bitrate of 320kbps and enjoy all your favorite Slacker stations in pristine MP3-quality.
- Deezer: Deezer lets you explore over 53 million tracks (and counting), and discover artists and tracks you'll love with personalized recommendations from the Deezer Editors. Bluesound even supports Deezer HiFi for lossless quality ($19.99 per month).
- Other Services: Other online music services include Qobuz, HighResAudio, Murfie, JUKE, KKBox, SoundMachine, and more.
Note: Availability of online music services may vary by region. Not all services may be available at time of purchase. Some services may be added or discontinued from time to time based on decisions of the music service providers or others.
AirPlay 2 with Siri: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any sound from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the NAD network stereo zone amplifier and other compatible BluOS and AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room. If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can even play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). In addition, you can watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the NAD network stereo zone amplifier. You will also be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music on the NAD network stereo zone amplifier. With AirPlay 2, also get to see song/artist information and album art via the receiver's on-screen menu (not front-panel display).
Note: If you have older Bluesound or BluOS product, you can still group Gen 2i Bluesound and newer products with older Bluesound products in the BluOS App to add AirPlay 2 compatibility to your entire BluOS system.
Computer Audio: The BluOS wireless audio system lets you easily connect and share your music collection from a computer or network-attached storage drive and access up to 200,000 tracks for wireless streaming. The BluOS wireless music system will pull music from an existing digital music library across the network on your Windows PC, Mac computer, or NAS drive using Windows or SMB File Sharing (SAMBA) and the BluOS Controller app for Windows (XP-up) & Mac (OS X 10.7-up). However, File Sharing is not enabled by default on Windows or Mac. You will have to manually alter these settings in your computer's menu system.
3rd Party Controllers: The CI 720 V2's network connectivity and built-in BluOS operating system enables custom integration with several of the top control systems - including Control4, Crestron, and RTI. Unlike many other network audio solutions, BluOS has a published API that allows a more complete and sustainable integration.