About the NAD CI 940
Pristine power for a range of applications
For decades audiophiles have counted on NAD for solid value and superior sound in their listening rooms and home theaters. With the CI 940 multi-channel amplifier, music and movie lovers can now enjoy that same legendary NAD performance with their custom installations and multi-room audio systems. The CI 940 makes an excellent choice for powering any multi-room system where sound quality really matters. It also works great for bi-amping a compatible pair of stereo speakers, or driving surround channels in your home theater system.
Handy hook-up and installation options
With three turn-on options (front panel switch, 12V trigger control, or signal-sensing), this amp easily adapts to any type of installation. Multiple CI 940s can share the same input signal, giving you the capacity to configure music zones that perfectly suit your listening spaces. The amp's detachable speaker connection blocks make installation a snap. And brackets are included for neat, simple rack mounting. NAD even built in dual, thermostatically activated cooling fans to ensure reliable, long-term operation.
It's all about sound quality
While its versatility sets it apart, the CI 940 is still every bit a high-performance NAD amplifier. The power supply features a custom toroidal transformer that minimizes noise and helps to control unwanted speaker cone movement. In the absence of background noise, the subtle details of your music emerge, enriching your listening experience.
- 35 watts x 4 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.03% THD
- bridged mode output is 70 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.02% THD
- perfect for bi-amping stereo speakers, adding surround channels to a home theater system, or powering music zones in a multi-room audio system
- 4-ohm stable for use with a wide range of speakers
- Class AB amplifier with multiple discrete high-power output devices for high-quality sound and powerful bass
- signal-to-noise ratio: 95 dB
- 12-volt trigger/signal-sensing auto-on with auto shut-off
- custom toroidal power transformer for low noise and high damping factor
- two pairs of RCA preamp inputs let you play separate stereo sources in two zones
- line-level "loop through" outputs
- removable Phoenix-style speaker connectors for easier installation
- detachable power cord
- dual thermostat-controlled cooling fans
- rack mountable (brackets included)
- less than 0.5 watt standby power consumption
- 19-1/16"W x 4-3/16"H x 12-3/4"D
- weight: 15.35 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CI 940
What's in the box:
- 4-Channel power amplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- 2 Phoenix-style connector blocks
- 2 Rack ears (installed w/ 8 screws)
- 2 End-caps
- Quick Setup Guide
- Warranty Card
NAD CI 940 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the NAD CI 940
Features & specs
|Number of Channels||4|
|Power Output per Channel (8 ohms)||35|
|Power Output per Channel (6 ohms)||---|
|Power Output per Channel (4 ohms)||35|
|Bridged Power per Channel||70 watts|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Number of Inputs||2|
|Speaker Connectors||Phoenix style|
4-Channel Power Amp: The NAD CI 940 Class AB power amplifier has 4-channels of clean low distortion power set up in a dual stereo zone configuration for custom installation and distributed audio systems. Boasting 35 watts of continuous power per channel, the CI 940 is designed to drive low impedance speakers (down to 4Ω) even over long wire runs. The CI 940 can easily provide the instantaneous peak current required for good bass response and expansive sound by utilizing multiple discrete high power output devices. Its low distortion and noise allow the subtle details of your music to be heard clearly.
Bridgeable: The power amplifier's bridging feature allows each pair of channels to become a single high-power channel (75W @ 8Ω), creating additional flexibility.
Toroidal Transformer: The CI 940's power supply features a custom toroidal transformer that maintains very low impedance for lowest noise and good damping factor of 180.
RCA Inputs & Outputs: The NAD CI 940 features a set of stereo RCA inputs and outputs for Zone 1 and Zone 2. The RCA output terminals are simply "loop-through" outputs, so you can pass the same input signal to another amplifier.
Phoenix Speaker Connectors: The CI 940 power amp is fitted with Phoenix speaker connection blocks that make installation a snap, and wiring further simplified.
Forced Air Cooling: The NAD CI 940 utilizes thermostatically controlled forced air cooling to ensure a long trouble-free service life.
Automated Turn-On: The CI 940 may be turned on in three discrete ways for complete system flexibility; from the front-panel standby button, the 12V Trigger circuit, or by the input signal-sensing circuit.
- Front-Panel Standby Button: A front-panel standby button allows you to turn on the power amplifier, as well as set it to standby mode.
- +12V Trigger In: With the +12V trigger input of the CI 940 connected to the DC output jack of a compatible auxiliary component, the CI 940 can be switched remotely from standby mode to operating mode and vice-versa. Use a 3.5mm minijack cable to pass +12V from the auxiliary equipment into the CI 940.
- Input Signal Sensing: The CI 940 can bet set to instantaneously turn to operating mode from standby mode if it senses any input signal (approximately above 20mV RMS input) applied through the Zone 1 input or Zone 2 input. The unit will automatically go back into standby mode when there has been not input signal for 10 minutes.
Note: The On/Off power control is managed by the Automated Turn-On logic or ATO Logic circuit that requires the CI 940 to be switched back to standby mode in the same manner it was activated. In other words, if the CI 940 is switched On via a +12V-control signal, it cannot be switched to standby mode via the front panel STANDBY button, it must wait for removal of the +12V-control signal. In practice, you probably would use only one of the methods once your CI 940 is installed.
Protection Circuitry: The amplifier is fully protected from short circuit and overheating and automatically restores operation after the condition is rectified. Indicator LEDs for each zone show protection status
Rack Mountable: The power amp's 2U rack height and included rack ears make good use of precious rack space.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
1 question already asked