About the NAD D 3020
A classic audiophile amp reborn for the digital age
A classic audiophile amp reborn for the digital age
Ask old-school audiophiles about the NAD 3020 and, chances are, you'll see a smile form on their face. The 3020 was a simple integrated amplifier that introduced a generation of music lovers to NAD's smooth tone and powerful output that punched harder than bigger, more "spec-heavy" amps. That's just what NAD has re-created with the D 3020 integrated amplifier. With a built-in digital-to-analog converter, Bluetooth streaming, and its array of digital inputs, the D 3020 is poised to introduce a new generation of digital music lovers to high-fidelity sound.
24-bit/96kHz DAC with asynchronous USB input
The original 3020 integrated amp had it easy. About the only source anyone hooked up to it was a turntable. But with so many digital music sources available now, NAD had to outfit the D 3020 with a first-class digital-to-analog converter capable of high-resolution playback. So this amp is ready for CD and Blu-ray players, network streaming devices, and more. There's also an asynchronous USB input for using your computer as a high-fidelity music source. For MacBook® users, the analog minijack input doubles as a mini-optical input — just like the headphone/optical output on your MacBook.
More power than you think
If you think 30 watts doesn't sound like much power, don't be fooled. Not all watts are created equal, and NAD has a long history of designing integrated amps that sound far bigger than their specs might lead you to believe. Highly efficient, this little amp is perfect for powering a pair of bookshelf speakers while delivering warm, detailed sound from digital and analog sources. Need to fill out the bottom end? Connect a powered sub to the D 3020's subwoofer preamp output.
Designed to fit in tight spaces
This isn't your everyday rack-style component. The compact and streamlined D 3020 can stand on its side for placement on a desktop or shelf. Or lay it down flat in your cabinet or rack. You won't find a lot of unnecessary buttons cluttering this amp's front panel. Just an extra-large volume knob and a button for toggling between sources. The display shows which source is selected, as well as the volume level. What more do you need? Maybe Bluetooth? You got it. Stream tunes wirelessly from your smartphone, tablet, or computer for convenient playback.
- 30 watts x 2 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.005% THD
- compact, low-profile design; vertical or horizontal orientation for placement flexibility
- built-in 24-bit/96kHz digital-to-analog converter
- asynchronous USB input for playback of high-resolution digital music files from a connected computer (up to 24-bit/96kHz resolution)
- Bluetooth wireless connectivity for streaming music from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- aptX® encoding provide high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- 1 pair of analog stereo (RCA) inputs
- miniplug analog input for connecting an iPod or other portable player
- can also be used as an optical input for Macbook laptop computers; miniplug-to-Toslink adapter included for use with an optical cable
- standard Toslink optical digital input
- coaxial digital input
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- stereo binding-post speaker terminals
- dedicated mono mini (3.5mm) output for powered subwoofer
- built-in headphone amplifier with 3.5mm minijack output
- 12-volt trigger input
- remote control
- 2-5/16"W x 7-3/8"H x 8-5/8"D (standing vertically)
- weight: 3.05 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # D3020
What's in the box:
- Hybrid digital amplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control
- CR2025 3V battery
- Toslink-to-3.5mm adapter
- 4 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- Quick Setup Guide
- Warranty Card
NAD D 3020 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the NAD D 3020
Features & specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||30|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||Not given|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||Not given|
|Minimum Impedance||4 ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||90|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||Yes|
|High-resolution Audio Playback||FLAC, WAV|
|Total Analog Inputs||2|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||1|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Hybrid Digital Amplifier: The NAD D 3020 is a hybrid digital amplifier which incorporates NAD's PowerDrive and Soft Clipping technology for dynamic power, low distortion and noise, and minimal power consumption. Even at 30 watts x 2 channel, the D 3020 has the ability to drive difficult loudspeakers to satisfying levels without adding noise or distortion.
- NAD PowerDrive Circuit: The D 3020 use NAD's proprietary PowerDrive amplifier technology that provides high dynamic power and low impedance drive capability. This uniquely efficient power supply topology provides the real world benefits of high dynamic power that remains uncompromised by low impedance speakers.
- Soft Clipping: NAD's Soft Clipping circuit gently limits the output of the D 3020 to minimize audible distortion when the amplifier is over-driven.
- NAD's Full Disclosure Power Ratings: NAD uses Full Disclosure Power (FDP), the most demanding criterion for performance measurement. FDP specifies distortion under the most extreme conditions of low impedance loads and frequency extremes, rather than the simple and easy 1kHz @ 8 ohms test quoted by many of other manufactures. NAD uses this stricter performance criterion because it more closely matches the demands of real music and real loudspeakers. Maintaining specified distortion at 4 ohms and at 20Hz to 20kHz is a much more difficult achievement. The NAD D 3020 is rated at 30 watts x 2 channel (@ 20-20kHz, in 8-ohms, with 0.005% THD).
Note: The D 3020's highly efficient design wastes less energy resulting in cooler running and longer life; standby power consumption is <0.5W.
Bass EQ Circuit: An innovative Bass EQ circuit helps small speakers sound bigger without overdriving or damaging drivers.
24-Bit/192kHz DAC: The NAD D 3020 hybrid digital amplifier incorporates an excellent quality 24-bit/192kHz DAC with 8 channels mixed to 2 channels for playback of your high-resolution digital music.
Asynchronous USB Input: The NAD D 3020 features an asynchronous USB (type-B) input to insure the lowest possible jitter (timing errors) from your connected Windows or Mac computer. The D 3020's USB input supports up to 24-bit/96kHz high-resolution music files on your computer. The D 3020 is compatible with Mac OS X Snow Leopard (version 10.6) or later version. No additional USB driver required. It is also compatible with Windows (XP SP2 or higher and 7) with an additional USB driver download required from NAD website.
Digital Optical/Coaxial Inputs: The NAD D3020 is fitted with one digital coaxial (RCA) input and one optical (toslink) digital input for connection of your digital audio sources like CD and DVD players, satellite/cable boxes, or Apple TV. The unit will accept 2-channel PCM audio signals from the Optical or Coaxial inputs (not compatible with Dolby Digital/DTS).
Dual Analog Inputs: The D3020 offers two analog inputs; a stereo RCA input and a 3.5mm Aux input. Use the stereo RCA input for older non-digital audio components, like your AM/FM tuner. Use the 3.5mm Aux input to connect your portable digital music player. The 3.5mm input can also be used as an optical input for Macbook laptop computers (miniplug-to-Toslink adapter included for use with an optical cable).
Bluetooth aptX Music Streaming: The NAD D 3020 offers built-in Bluetooth aptX technology. Via Bluetooth, you can wirelessly stream music from your smartphone, tablet, or laptop to the hybrid digital amplifier. The D 3020 even supports aptX audio coding which delivers CD-quality sound wirelessly over Bluetooth. The D 3020 is compatible with most Bluetooth devices (such as Apple, Android, and Blackberry). However, due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features.
Binding Post Speaker Terminals: The NAD D 3020 hybrid digital amplifier is equipped with four binding post terminals to connect your loudspeakers. The binding post speaker terminals will accept bar wire (up to 10AWG), banana plugs (dual or single), pin-connectors, and spade-connectors.
Subwoofer Output: The NAD hybrid digital amplifier features a mono mini-jack (3.5mm) subwoofer output for connecting an external powered subwoofer to your system.
Built-in Headphone Amp: The D 3020 features an integrated headphone amp with a 3.5mm headphone output jack to connect a pair of headphones for private listening. A specially designed low noise headphone circuitry accommodates a wide range of headphones, even 600-ohm studio models. Once headphones are connected to the D 3020, your connected speakers will be turned off.
IR Remote Control: The NAD D 3020 comes with an IR remote for wireless operation of the hybrid digital amplifier. You can turn amplifier on/off, raise/lower volume, and switch sources from the remote. The playback controls on the remote are not functional.
+12V Trigger Input: The +12V trigger input (3.5mm) lets you turn on/off the D 3020 from another device with a +12V trigger output.
Vertical or Horizontal Mounting: The NAD D 3020 can be installed vertically or horizontally. Four self-adhesive rubber feet are included.
- Vertical Dimensions: 2.3125" (w) x 7.375" (h) x 9.75" (d)
- Horizontal Dimensions: 7.375" (w) x 2.3125" (h) x 9.75" (d)
The NAD D 3020 replaces these items
- supports sample rates up to 24-bit/192kHz for listening to high-resolution digital music sources
- digital audio inputs 2 optical, 2 coaxial, and an asynchronous USB (Type B)
- built-in headphone amplifier and headphone volume control
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
13 questions already asked