About the NAD D 3020 V2
A fresh take on a classic audiophile amp
A fresh take on a classic audiophile amp
Back in the 1970s, NAD introduced the original 3020 — a simple integrated amplifier that outperformed bigger, more expensive amplifiers with its smooth tone and big, detailed sound — something of a game-changer for music lovers of the day. In 2013, NAD introduced the D 3020, which proved as popular as the original among audiophiles of the digital age. The D 3020 V2 is the latest NAD integrated amplifier to build on the original 3020 concept.
With the D 3020 V2, NAD has refined the looks of the original D 3020, and added a phono input for vinyl playback. Just like its predecessor, the V2 is outfitted with a high-quality digital-to-analog converter capable of high-resolution playback. So this amp is ready for CD and Blu-ray players, network streaming devices, and more.
More power than you think
If you think 30 watts doesn't sound like much power, don't be fooled. Not all watts are created equal, and NAD has a long history of designing integrated amps that sound far bigger than their specs might lead you to believe. Highly efficient, this little amp is perfect for powering a pair of bookshelf speakers while delivering warm, detailed sound from digital and analog sources.
Need to fill out the bottom end? Connect a powered sub to the D 3020 V2's subwoofer preamp output.
Designed to fit in tight spaces
This isn't your everyday rack-style component. The compact and streamlined D 3020 V2 can stand on its side for placement on a desktop or shelf. Or lay it down flat in your cabinet or rack. You won't find a lot of unnecessary buttons cluttering this amp's front panel. Just an extra-large volume knob and a button for toggling between sources.
The display shows which source is selected, as well as the volume level. What more do you need? Maybe Bluetooth? You got it. Stream tunes wirelessly from your smartphone, tablet, or computer for convenient playback.
- 30 watts x 2 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.01% THD
- compact, low-profile design; vertical or horizontal orientation for placement flexibility
- built-in 24-bit/96kHz digital-to-analog converter
- Bluetooth wireless connectivity for streaming music from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- aptX® encoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- 1 pair of analog stereo (RCA) inputs
- standard Toslink optical digital input
- coaxial digital input
- MM (moving magnet) phono input for connecting a turntable
- stereo binding-post speaker terminals
- 3.5mm preamp output
- 3.5mm output for powered subwoofer
- built-in headphone amplifier with 3.5mm minijack output
- 12-volt trigger input
- remote control
- 2-5/16"W x 7-3/8"H x 8-5/8"D (standing vertically)
- weight: 3.1 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # D3020v2
What's in the box:
- Hybrid digital amplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (AMP 3)
- CR2025 3V battery
- Minijack-to-RCA adapter
- 4 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- Quick Setup Guide
- Warranty Card
NAD D 3020 V2 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the NAD D 3020 V2
Features & specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||30|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||Not given|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||Not given|
|Minimum Impedance||4 ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||98|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||Yes|
|Total Analog Inputs||1|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||1|
|Preamp Outputs||3.5mm (2)|
|Removable Power Cord||IEC 2-prong|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Hybrid Digital Amplifier: The NAD D 3020 V2 is a hybrid digital amplifier which incorporates NAD's PowerDrive and Soft Clipping technology for dynamic power, low distortion and noise, and minimal power consumption. Even at 30 watts x 2 channel, the D 3020 V2 has the ability to drive "power hungry" and low-impedance loudspeakers to satisfying levels without adding noise or distortion.
- NAD PowerDrive Circuit: The D 3020 V2 use NAD's proprietary PowerDrive amplifier technology that provides high dynamic power and low impedance drive capability. This uniquely efficient power supply topology provides the real world benefits of high dynamic power that remains uncompromised by low impedance speakers.
- NAD's Full Disclosure Power Ratings: NAD uses Full Disclosure Power (FDP), the most demanding criterion for performance measurement. FDP specifies distortion under the most extreme conditions of low impedance loads and frequency extremes, rather than the simple and easy 1kHz @ 8 ohms test quoted by many of other manufactures. NAD uses this stricter performance criterion because it more closely matches the demands of real music and real loudspeakers. Maintaining specified distortion at 4 ohms and at 20Hz to 20kHz is a much more difficult achievement. The NAD D 3020 V2 is rated at 30 watts x 2 channel (@ 20-20kHz, in 8-ohms, with 0.1% THD).
Note: The D 3020 V2's highly efficient design wastes less energy resulting in cooler running and longer life; standby power consumption is <0.5W.
Bass EQ Circuit: An innovative Bass EQ circuit helps small speakers sound bigger without overdriving or damaging drivers.
24-Bit/192kHz DAC: The NAD D 3020 V2 hybrid digital amplifier incorporates an excellent quality 24-bit/192kHz DAC with 8 channels mixed to 2 channels for playback of your high-resolution digital music.
Digital Optical/Coaxial Inputs: The NAD D3020 V2 is fitted with one digital coaxial (RCA) input and one optical (toslink) digital input for connection of your digital audio sources like CD and DVD players, satellite/cable boxes, or Apple TV. The unit will accept 2-channel PCM audio signals from the Optical or Coaxial inputs (not compatible with Dolby Digital or DTS).
Dual Analog Inputs (including Phono MM): The D3020 V2 offers two analog stereo RCA inputs, including one a line-level stereo RCA input and one Phono (MM) stereo RCA input. The stereo RCA line-level input can be used to connect a CD player or AM/FM tuner. The Phono (MM) input is used to connect a turntable with a moving magnet cartridge. The Phono stage includes highly accurate RIAA equalization, an Infrasonic Warp Filter, and features both high overload margins and extremely low noise.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming w/ aptX: The NAD D 3020 V2 offers built-in Bluetooth aptX technology. Via Bluetooth, you can wirelessly stream music from your smartphone (including iPhone & Android), tablet (including iPad & Android), or laptop (including Windows & Mac) to the hybrid digital amplifier. The D 3020 V2 even supports aptX audio coding which delivers CD-quality sound wirelessly over Bluetooth for aptX compatible source devices (like Android and Macbook). Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track functions can be controlled from the included IR remote.
Binding Post Speaker Terminals: The NAD D 3020 V2 hybrid digital amplifier is equipped with four binding post terminals to connect your loudspeakers (4 or 8 ohm). The binding post speaker terminals will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), banana plugs (single only), pin-connectors, and spade-connectors. Plastic caps inside the binding posts must be removed to use banana plugs.
Sub Out & Pre-Out: The NAD hybrid digital amplifier features a mono minijack (3.5mm) subwoofer output for connecting an external powered subwoofer to your system. The sub output is equipped with a 100Hz low-pass crossover. Since most powered subs feature an RCA input, the D 3020 V2 comes with a minijack-to-RCA adapter. There is also stereo minijack (3.5mm) pre-out for "daisy-chaining" an additional amplifier (a stereo minijack-to-RCA adapter will be required - sold separately).
Headphone Amp: The D 3020 V2 features an integrated headphone amp with a 3.5mm headphone output jack to connect a pair of headphones for private listening. A specially designed low noise headphone circuitry accommodates a wide range of headphones, even 600-ohm studio models. Once headphones are connected to the D 3020 V2, your connected speakers will be turned off.
IR Remote w/ TV Connect: The NAD D 3020 V2 comes with an IR remote for wireless operation of the hybrid digital amplifier. You can turn the amplifier on/off, raise/lower volume, and switch sources from the remote. The playback controls on the remote are for Bluetooth audio streaming only. The TV Connect features enables the D 3020 V2 to learn the mute and volume control commands from practically any TV remote control. Additionally, the D 3020 will automatically power up to the Optical input source upon detection of a digital TV output signal.
+12V Trigger Input: The +12V trigger input (3.5mm) lets you turn on/off the D 3020 V2 from another device with a +12V trigger output.
Vertical or Horizontal Mounting: The NAD D 3020 V2 can be installed vertically or horizontally. Four self-adhesive rubber feet are included.
- Vertical Dimensions: 2.3125" (w) x 7.375" (h) x 9.75" (d)
- Horizontal Dimensions: 7.375" (w) x 2.3125" (h) x 9.75" (d)
Auto Standby & Auto Sense: The D 3020 V2 can be setup to automatically go to standby mode if there is no user interface interaction and no active source input for approximately 30 minutes. The Auto Sense feature enables the D 3020 V2 to wake up from standby mode and starts operation by selecting the Optical source input or the last digital source input before going to standby mode.
The NAD D 3020 V2 replaces these items
- 30 watts x 2
- 24-bit/96kHz DAC with USB, optical, and coaxial digital inputs for connecting a computer or network streaming device
- Bluetooth and aptX® wireless connectivity for streaming music from compatible devices
13 questions already asked