About the NAD Master Series M17 V2i
A home theater masterpiece
A home theater masterpiece
There are plenty of excellent home theater receivers out there, including some high-end models from NAD. But to get the best sound and picture possible, building a system of "separates" (including a dedicated preamp/processor) is the way to go. NAD's Master Series M17 V2i is one the finest options available.
Why choose a "pre/pro" over a receiver?
The major difference between this unit and a traditional home theater receiver is that there's no internal amplification inside. This removes the heat and noise generated during amplification, which helps improve the quality of what you see and hear.
You'll connect the M17 V2i to your choice of external power amps, using either balanced (XLR) or unbalanced (RCA) cables. I highly recommend using XLR connections if your amps support them, because they cancel out potential noise and help feed your amp the cleanest, strongest signal possible.
Immersive, lifelike sound and picture
One reason the M17 V2i performs so well is the advancement of "object-based" surround sound formats like Dolby Atmos, which place sound effects in space around you with pinpoint accuracy.
The M17 V2i excels at decoding and processing Atmos-encoded soundtracks. You'll hear the movie's score and special effects above, behind, in front of, and beside you — just like you would in an actual theater.
This pre/pro's advanced video processing ensures a vivid, highly detailed picture with movies, sporting events, and video games. All HDMI inputs and one HDMI output support 4K and High Dynamic Range (HDR10) video signals, so you can use it with confidence with your TV or projector-based home theater system.
Stay current as technology changes
The M17 V2i features NAD's Modular Design Construction, which means that its digital inputs and outputs are installed on replaceable circuit boards. This lets you protect your investment by only replacing specific parts when technology evolves, rather than replacing the entire unit.
This is one of the big reasons why I'd choose this model over other pre/pros on the market. If there's an advancement in HDMI technology, for example, you can upgrade that specific section of the unit rather than having to replace the entire machine.
Advanced room correction
The M17 V2i includes Dirac Live — one of the industry's best room-correction platforms. This software-based system takes precise acoustic measurements of your room, and creates a customized correction curve that fine-tunes the output of your speakers and subwoofers. You get smooth, clear sound that's uniquely tailored to your space.
- home theater preamp/processor with 11.2-channel processing
- supports up to 11 speakers with with external power amps
- touch-panel display offers easy settings changes and menu selections
- MDC (Modular Design Construction) offers the ability to upgrade components for future format and feature compatibility
- Dirac Live advanced room correction software tailors the sound to your room with the included microphone
- Dirac Live software requires a Windows® or Mac® computer for installation
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding, including Dolby Atmos and DTS:X™
- 5 A/V presets for customizing sources, speakers, and settings for easy one-touch recall
Digital and streaming music options:
- BluOS platform offers intuitive, app-based music streaming via Wi-Fi
- includes support for Amazon Music Unlimited, Spotify®, TIDAL, Deezer, and more (subscription required for some services)
- allows further multi-room expansion with Bluesound wireless speakers
- supports high-resolution playback (up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution)
- BluOS kit includes Wi-Fi and Bluetooth dongles, plus dual USB ports
- Apple AirPlay 2 lets you stream directly from an iPhone® or iPad® and ask Siri to play Apple Music
- works with Amazon Alexa voice control assistant
- Alexa compatibility requires free firmware update
- two-zone/two-source output
- analog stereo outputs for zone 2
- digital audio sources are converted to analog for playback in Zone 2
- compatible zone 2 sources: analog inputs and optical/coaxial digital inputs
- incompatible zone 2 sources: HDMI inputs, USB, Bluetooth, AirPlay 2, and BluOS
- unused tape outputs can be used to create Zone 3 and Zone 4 outputs with independent source selection and volume control
- zone 3 and zone 4 offer the same music source compatibility as zone 2
Connections and dimensions:
- HDMI 2.0 audio/video switching: 5 in, 2 out
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs (all HDMI inputs and one output)
- digital audio outputs: 2 optical, 2 coaxial
- 7 pairs of analog stereo audio inputs, including 2 with tape outputs
- no phono input — to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- 7.1-channel balanced XLR outputs for connection to external power amps
- 4 mini XLR outputs for front and rear left/right height channels
- 7.2-channel unbalanced RCA outputs
- two discrete line-level subwoofer outputs for more precise multi-subwoofer setups
- RS-232C port for optional 3rd-party control systems
- 12-volt trigger and remote (IR) inputs and outputs
- detachable power cord
- 17-1/8"W x 6-3/16"H x 16-1/4"D
- weight: 24 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # M17V2i
What's in the box:
- AV surround sound preamp-processor
- 68" AC cord
- BluOS module (with WiFi dongle/Bluetooth dongle installed)
- Main remote control (HTRM 2)
- Zone remote control (ZR 7)
- 4 "AA" batteries
- CR2025 Lithium battery
- Auto calibration microphone
- 23" USB extension cable
- 4 Magnetic feet
- Cleaning cloth
- Quick Setup Guide
- Cleaning Instructions
- Warranty Card
- BluOS Quick Start Guide
- BluOS/Bluesound brochure
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the NAD Master Series M17 V2i
Surround Sound Preamp Processor: The NAD M17 V2i AV Surround Sound Preamp Processor is part of NAD's Master series line-up and is the perfect companion for NAD's M27 seven channel amplifier (745M27, sold separately) or other high performance multichannel power amplifier. The M17 V2i is an excellent example of NAD's expertise in quality in the digital decoding stages, the video processing section, and in the analog preamp stages for the best overall performance.
24-Bit/192kHz ADC + DAC: With full 24-bit/192kHz analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog conversion, the NAD M17 V2i will make the most of your best available source material. Analog audio inputs are converted to digital signal by making use of M17 V2i's superb circuitry called analog-to-digital converter (ADC). NAD has employed multiple 2-channel DACs in a dual differential mode, a configuration that yields superb sonic results. NAD also tailored the circuit design to deliver a high level of technical precision and audio performance.
Compatible Digital Audio Formats: The M17 V2i AV Surround Preamp Processor is equipped with NAD's AM17 audio module and supports the following stereo & multichannel digital audio formats through its HDMI jacks and optical/coax digital inputs.
|Digital Audio Connector||Audio Signal Type||Audio Signal Format|
|HDMI (5 inputs/2 outputs)||High Definition Audio Bitstream||Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS-ES, DTS 96/24|
|PCM||2ch to 8ch (32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit)|
|DSD||2ch to 6ch (2.8MHz, 1-bit)|
|Optical (2 inputs)/Coaxial (2 inputs)||Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
|PCM||2ch to 6ch, (32-96kHz, 16/20/24-bit)|
Immersive Surround Sound: The NAD M17 V2i goes beyond regular surround with the latest immersive surround sound formats - like Dolby Atmos & DTS:X.
- Dolby Atmos: Dolby Atmos surround sound technology dispenses with channel-based coding in favor of more advanced object-based coding, giving the soundtrack designer the ability to precisely place sounds anywhere in the 3-dimensional space. Now you can enjoy this same award-winning technology at home with the M17 V2i that lets you connect a 5.1 or 7.1 channel surround sound speaker system and 2 or 4 additional overhead speakers or Dolby Atmos elevation speakers for up to a 7.1.4ch home theater experience.
- DTS:X: DTS:X features object-based audio coding that lets the soundtrack designer place sonic elements anywhere in the 3D acoustic soundspace, and provides for overhead speakers to deliver a stunning surround sound experience. Along with DTS:X decoding, the M17 V2i features DTS-HD Master Audio decoding and other DTS audio technologies.
Post Decoding Formats: The NAD M17 V2i supports Dolby Surround & DTS Neo:6 (Music/Cinema) to enhance 2-channel and multichannel decoding formats.
- Dolby Surround: Dolby Surround offers an enhanced cinema experience to your 2ch and multichannel movie soundtracks using your existing 5.1ch, 7.1ch or Dolby Atmos speaker setup. Dolby Surround enhances audio definition by improving the spatial dimension and overall audio definition of movie soundtracks. It does this by using four distinct surround zones that provide greater control over the exact placement of each detail in a movie sound track, so audio can be matched more accurately to the video on screen; this means more depth and greater realism for your movies. As a result, individual sounds are clearer and more distinct. It also improves the surround sound experience across the entire theater by widening the listening "sweet spot".
- DTS Neo:6: DTS Neo:6 is an advanced matrix decoder that takes any two-channel source (including television broadcasts, CDs and DVDs) and expands it into five or six channels. It also provides separate, optimized modes for stereo music materials and matrix surround motion picture soundtracks. DTS Neo:6 brings you a more revealing sound from ordinary stereo and a more expansive home cinema experience.
Dirac Live Room Correction Technology: Proprietary Dirac Live patented room correction technology is integrated into the M17 V2i. With Dirac Live you can easily measure the acoustic characteristics of your loudspeakers and room, plus calibrate the sound system to reproduce sound as intended. Whether you use a PC or MAC computer, the Dirac Live Room Correction Suite software offers a clear improvement of your audio system by analyzing your speakers and room acoustics with the help of a measurement microphone that plugs into your computer or the M17 V2i. The software then uses this data to build an acoustic model of the listening environment and detects the deficiencies. After careful analysis, Dirac Live corrects for both the timing and amplitude aspects of the colorations in sound to deliver a uniquely pristine listening experience. Dirac Live's digital room correction will help your loudspeakers reach their full potential in any listening room. Dirac Live helps create a natural, realistic and transparent sound with tighter bass and reduced room modes, in a way previously not possible.
- System Requirements: Download the Dirac Live Calibration Tool installer onto your Windows or Mac computer. Compatible with Windows Vista, 7, 8,10; as well as Mac OS X 10.7 - 10.11. Both your computer (Windows or Mac) and the M17 V2i must be connected to the same network. Make sure the M17 V2i has the latest firmware/software update installed.
- How It Works: It takes approximately 15 minutes to calibrate your room with the Dirac Live Calibration Tool software. Test signals are sent out from the Dirac Live Calibration Tool through your audio system and loudspeakers. These signals allow the software to check the sound's behavior across the entire audio spectrum. Measurements are taken in 9 different positions to provide the best results over the entire listening area. The speakers and room are optimized in terms of the frequency response and the impulse response, both vital aspects of sound reproduction. Dirac's auto-target function will automatically suggest an appropriate target response.
Direct Mode: Analog or digital sources are automatically played in their native formats. All the source's audio channels are reproduced directly. This mode recreates the original sound most faithfully, thereby producing outstandingly high-quality audio.
EARS: Two-channel recordings, whether stereo or surround-encoded, are reproduced with proprietary NAD surround processing with signals output to the Front, Center, Surround, and Surround Back speakers, plus subwoofer. EARS extracts the natural ambience present in nearly all well-produced stereo recordings. It does not synthesize any ambience or other sonic elements and thus remains truer to the sound of the original musical performance than most other music-surround options. EARS offers realistic, stable "front-stage" sonic imaging and spacious but unexaggerated ambient "virtual acoustics" that remain faithful to the original recording. Select EARS for listening to stereo music recordings and broadcasts. EARS produces a subtle but highly natural and believable ambience from nearly all "natural-acoustic" stereo recordings. Typically, these include classical, jazz, and folk genre.
Stereo Modes: The NAD M17 V2i also provides two-channel stereo playback, including an Enhanced mode and an Analog Bypass mode.
- Stereo: All output is directed to the front left/right channels. Low frequencies are directed to the subwoofer if one is present in the Speaker settings. Select 'Stereo' when you wish to listen to a stereo (or monaural) production, such as music CD or FM broadcast, without surround enhancement. Stereo recordings whether in PCM/digital or analog form and whether surround-encoded or not encoded, are reproduced as recorded. Multi-channel digital recordings (Dolby Digital and DTS) are reproduced in "Stereo Downmix" mode via the front left/right channels.
- Enhanced Stereo: All recordings are reproduced in stereo via the maximum speaker complement. Enhanced stereo can be useful for maximum volume from all channels or for multi-speaker background music (cocktail party) listening. For this mode, Front, Center, Surround and Back speakers can be turned ON/OFF as desired.
- Analog Bypass: All analog signals remain in the analog domain without analog-to-digital conversions. At Analog Bypass, the DSP circuitry is bypassed but full tone control functions remain. 'Bass management' or Speaker settings are also not in effect as these are DSP functions.
Audio Enhancements: The NAD M17 V2i provides various audio enhancements to deliver a high-quality listening experience every time.
- Tone Controls: The M17 V2i has three Tone Control levels; Treble, Bass, Center Dialog. Bass and Treble controls only affect the low bass and high treble leaving the critical midrange frequencies free of coloration. The Center Dialog control boosts the 'presence' of the midrange region improving intelligibility of speech. Tone Defeat gives one the choice of varying or completely bypassing the tone control section of the M17 V2i.
- Enhanced Bass: When the subwoofer is set to 'On' and your front speakers set to 'Large', the option 'Enhanced Bass' becomes available. Normally, with speakers set to 'Large' the subwoofer is not active. The Enhanced Bass option allows full range operation of the speakers with the additional bass contribution of the subwoofer. This feature is particularly useful when one wants to experience maximum bass output. Please note that due to acoustic cancellation effects, the bass response may be uneven when using this setting.
Level Adjustments: The NAD M17 V2i AV Surround Sound Preamp Processor provides the following level adjustments.
- Gain Adjustment: Gain adjustment (+/-12dB) allows all sources to play back at the same volume level so you don't need to adjust the volume every time a new source is selected. It is generally preferable to reduce the level of the loudest source rather than making louder the softer sources.
- Dynamic Range Control: You can select the effective dynamic range (subjective range from soft to loud) for playback of Dolby Digital soundtracks. For fully cinematic effect, always select 100% (the default). Settings of 75%, 50%, and 25% progressively reduce dynamic range, making soft sounds comparatively louder while limiting the peak loudness of loud ones.
Balanced & Unbalanced Outputs: The M17 V2i AV Surround Sound Preamp Processor offers both balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (RCA) outputs to connect to NAD's M27 power amplifier or other high-end amplifier.
- Balanced XLR: Full-size balanced XLR jacks are used for Front Left/Right, Center, Surround Left/Right, Surround Back Left/Right, and Mono-Subwoofer channels. Mini-XLR jacks are used for the Front Height Left/Right and Rear Height Left/Right channels.
- Unbalanced RCA: Unbalanced RCA jacks are used for Front Left/Right, Center, Surround Left/Right, Surround Back Left/Right, and dual discrete Subwoofer channels.
Note: Balanced XLR connectivity offers superior sound quality with greater noise reduction versus unbalanced RCA connections.
HDMI 2.0b: The M17 V2i is equipped with NAD's VM310 video module that offers bit-perfect 4K UHD video processing for the most accurate sound and image experience. The NAD M17 V2i AV Surround Sound Preamp Processor has five HDMI 2.0b inputs, one HDMI 2.0b output, and one HDMI 1.4 output. The inputs are assignable using the AV surround sound pre-amplifier's on-screen menu. The two HDMI outputs are parallel so the same video signal is output through both and can be used simultaneously.
- 4K/60Hz: All of the HDMI inputs and the HDMI 1 Output support up to 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video @ 60 frames per second on all of its HDMI inputs and output (pass-through only - no upscaling). It will also pass a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p video signals via HDMI. The HDMI 2 output is only 1080p/HDCP 1.4 compatible.
- HDCP 2.2: All of the receiver's HDMI jacks support HDCP 2.2, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: All of the receiver's HDMI inputs and the HDMI 1 output support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling (@ 60Hz or 50Hz). With 4:4:4 color subsampling, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate; resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail. The HDMI 2 output only supports YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling.
- High Dynamic Range (HDR): All of the receiver's HDMI inputs and the HDMI 1 output support High Dynamic Range (HDR) video. High Dynamic Range (HDR) provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. The receiver supports HDR 10 (no support for Dolby Vision or HLG). The HDMI 2 output does not support any HDR format.
Note: The NAD M17 V2i is not equipped with any analog video inputs or outputs.
3D Ready: The NAD M17 supports 3D HDMI pass-through from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI. 3D provides a more engaging audio and video consumer experience. Note that special eyewear may be required for viewing 3D content.
Lip Sync Delay: Video signals may take longer to process than audio signals, depending on the connected video equipment. The audio signal can be delayed up to 120ms to synchronize with the video signal.
Audio Return Channel (ARC): If the connected TV has an HDMI ARC Input, the audio signal can be transferred from the TV (when its internal tuner is used) to the M17 through a single HDMI cable, so a second cable isn't needed.
Network, Bluetooth, & USB
BluOS Kit: The included BluOS Kit adds wireless network audio, Bluetooth audio streaming, dual USB ports, and wireless multiroom audio playback to the NAD M17 V2i surround sound preamp processor. The BluOS kit plugs into the AV surround sound preamp processor rear-panel USB port.
- WiFi Dongle: A WiFi (802.11 b/g/n) dongle is pre-installed in the BluOS Kit. If you experience poor WiFi reception, unplug the WiFi dongle and plug in the included 23" USB extension along with the WiFi dongle to extend the BluOS Kit's WiFi range.
- Bluetooth Dongle: A Bluetooth dongle is pre-installed in the BluOS Kit.
- Dual USB Ports: The BluOS kits provides two USB MSC (mass storage class) device compatible ports.
Note: The included BluOS Kit does not include a wired Ethernet connection.
BluOS Network Audio Streaming: With the BluOS Kit installed, the M17 V2i offers wireless network audio playback, letting you stream lossless music to your home theater system from local libraries, tune into Internet Radio stations, and access popular online music streaming services. You can control the music from anywhere in the house using the BluOS Controller App for Apple (iOS 7.0+) & Android (OS 4.0+) devices, plus Windows (Vista-up) & Mac computers (OS X 10.7-up).
- Compatible Audio Files: The M17 V2i with BluOS Kit supports both low-res and high-res audio files - including AIFF/ALAC/FLAC/MQA/WAV (24-bit/192kHz), WMA-Lossless (24-bit/96kHz), and MP3/WMA/AAC/OGG (320kbps/48kHz). BluOS has been designed to work with today's larger music collections, and has indexed libraries up to 100,000 songs in demonstrated practice (this will depend on the music's metadata & artwork). BluOS also offers gapless playback by default for all supported file music types.
- Online Music Services: The M17 V2i with BluOS Kit lets you access select online music services & internet radio - including Spotify Connect, TIDAL, TuneIn, iHeart Radio, Napster, & Slacker. The BluOS Controller app on your Apple iOS or Android device will serve as the controller for these apps and provide song/artist information with Album Art.
- Music Library From Your Mobile Device: From the BluOS Controller App, you can stream music directly over WiFi from your Apple iOS or Android device to the NAD AV surround sound preamp processor and the rest of your BluOS components around your home. The app gives you complete control of your compatible mobile device's music library with song/artist information and album art.
- Computer Audio: Thanks to BluOS, the M17 V2i will pull music from an existing digital music library across the network on your Windows PC (Vista-up) or Mac computer (OS X 10.8-up) using Windows or SMB File Sharing (SAMBA) and the BluOS Controller App for Windows & Mac.
Note: The M17 V2i does not offer a built-in AM/FM tuner. The only way to access AM/FM stations is through the TuneIn internet radio service using the BluOS Controller App.
AirPlay 2 with Siri: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any sound from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the NAD preamplifier and other compatible BluOS and AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room. If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can even play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). In addition, you can watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the NAD preamplifier. You will also be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music on the NAD M17 V2i. With AirPlay 2, also get to see song/artist information and album art via the preamp's on-screen menu (not front-panel display).
Note: If you have older Bluesound or BluOS product, you can still group Gen 2i Bluesound and newer products with older Bluesound products in the BluOS App to add AirPlay 2 compatibility to your entire BluOS system.
Bluetooth Music Streaming: Thanks to the included BluOS Kit, you can wirelessly pair and connect instantly to the M17 V2i, allowing you to stream stored music and music apps wirelessly from your Bluetooth-enabled source device; like your smartphone, tablet, laptop or desktop computer. The high performance Bluetooth aptX HD codec is fully supported for true CD-quality sound from aptX HD compatible Bluetooth devices. There is no control or song/artist info display from the NAD AV surround sound preamp processor.
Dual USB-A Ports: The included BluOS Kit gives the M17 V2i two USB (type-A) ports to directly connect your USB mass storage class (MSC) device; such as a thumbdrive or external hard-drive. The unit's USB ports supports high resolution audio and compressed music playback from these compatible USB devices formatted in FAT 32.
|Compression||File Type||Sampling Frequency||Bit Rate or Bit Depth|
|Lossless||WMA-Lossless||up to 96 kHz||up to 24-bit|
|FLAC||192 kHz||up to 24-bit|
|Uncompressed||AIFF||up 192 kHz||up to 24-bit|
Note: The USB port is not compatible with the direct connection of an Apple iOS or Android devices.
BluOS Wireless Multiroom Audio: The included BluOS Kit enables the NAD M17 V2i to become part of the BluOS by Bluesound wireless multiroom audio eco-system, allowing you to stream and control your local and online music effortlessly from anywhere in your home with the BluOS App on your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device, as well as Windows PC or Mac computer over a wireless WiFi network connection. BluOS offers the ability to group other BluOS compatible wireless speakers and music players (sold separately) with the M17 V2i for multiroom audio throughout your home. You can play the same audio source in every room or any combination of rooms you choose, including a different song in every room.
- High Res Synchronization: BluOS automatically synchronizes audio playback between multiple BluOS devices so that your music (up to 24-bit/192kHz Hi-Res audio) coming from different rooms is perfectly in sync and always sounds amazing.
- Compatible Sources: The following sources can be distributed through the BluOS multiroom audio system - All of the surround preamp processors analog & digital inputs (excluding HDMI); TuneIn Internet Radio, BluOS music apps & Spotify Connect; Windows PC & MAC computer audio files; plus Bluetooth & USB audio.
- Rooms/Grouping: Up to 16 BluOS devices can be connected in a strictly wireless environment. If you want to connect more than 16 BluOS devices, you will need to connect the other BluOS devices to your network using a wired connection. BluOS can then control up to 64 devices in a strictly wired environment.
Note: The NAD M17 V2i only supports a single BluOS music stream. If you desire a second BluOS music stream through the surround preamp processor's multizone output, you will need to connect the Bluesound Node 2 (sold separately) to one of the AV surround preamp processor's analog inputs.
Zone 2: The Zone 2 feature allows you to simultaneously experience different audio sources in different rooms of your home. Each Zone consists of stereo RCA line-level output to connect an external AV surround sound pre-amplifier or integrated amp in other rooms of your home, allowing you to listen to 7.2ch surround in the Main Zone and 2ch stereo of a different audio sources in other rooms of your home. In addition to analog source playback in any zone, digital inputs (optical/coaxial) are converted to analog for playback in Zone 2 only.
- Compatible Zone 2 Sources: Analog Inputs and Optical/Coaxial Digital Inputs.
- Incompatible Zone 2 Sources: HDMI Audio/Video Inputs, USB, Bluetooth, AirPlay 2, and BluOS
Zone 3/Zone 4: You can also choose to convert the NAD M17 V2i's unused tape outputs for Zone 3 and Zone 4 use with independent source selection and volume control. Zone 3 and Zone 4 offer the same compatibility and incompatibility as Zone 2.
BluOS Controller App: The free BluOS Controller App turns your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad (iOS 9.3+), Android smartphone/tablet (OS 4.0.3+) Windows (Vista-up) PC or Mac (OS X 10.7-up) computer into a full-featured remote control for the BluOS wireless music system. The BluOS Controller App on your compatible device uses your home's WiFi network to connect with BluOS devices, so you can play all the music you love anywhere in your home for a wireless multiroom music experience. Get on-demand access to your music libraries on your home network, stream live Internet radio from almost any place in the world, or listen to one of the many music services available on BluOS, all from the palm of your hand with the easy-to-use BluOS Controller App.
Alexa Compatible: The NAD M17 V2i will support Amazon Alexa and voice control through an over-the-network firmware update (now available). Using an Amazon Alexa enabled device (sold separately), you can use your voice to explore music services, select presets, adjust volume levels, switch up songs in different rooms, or even group your Bluesound components together and play your music in perfect sync throughout the house. Each Alexa voice command will need to start with the phrase "Alexa, ask Blue Voice to" or "Alexa, Tell Blue Voice to". Alexa Skills for BluOS will need to be setup through the Amazon Alexa app on your Apple iOS or Android device.
Note: Click here for more information regarding Alexa setup and voice commands.
NAD AV Remote App: Download the NAD AV Remote App on your your Apple iOS 8.1+ device to control the M17 V2i from your your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad. Through the app, you can select and control basic functions such as power, volume, source, and listening mode for all zones. You can also name sources, tweak surround sound preamp processor presets, adjust tone controls and trim levels, tune radio stations, and activate Audyssey room equalization, from anywhere in the house.
Note: The NAD AV Remote App is not supported by Android.
Main Remote: The Main remote control is pre-coded with controls for other NAD components. It will also learn commands from other remotes, controlling up to eight components. The remote's buttons are backlit, but an ambient light sensor keeps the light from engaging when you don't need it. The light sensor and lighting duration are both adjustable. Up to 64 macro commands can be programmed using the function keys. A mini USB Type B port on the remote (cable not included) allows you to upload and download the remote configuration through a Windows PC using NAD's Proprietary programming software (available on NAD's website).
Zone 2 Remote: The secondary remote control is a discrete compact remote for controlling the Zone 2 features of the M17 V2i (not zones 3 or 4), it allows full control of the Zone 2 source selection and other applicable features. The remote will work from a different room using an IR sensor and hub or the IR sensor of a compatible NAD component in the second zone (either must be wired back to the location of the M17 V2i).
HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronic Control): Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) is a set of commands that utilizes HDMI's two-way communication to allow for single remote control of any CEC-enabled devices connected with HDMI. A CEC command will trigger the necessary commands over HDMI for an entire system to auto-configure itself to respond to the command.
- Power: The M17 V2i will automatically go to standby mode if it receives a CEC standby command. On the other hand, if the M17 V2i receives a CEC power up command, the M17 V2i will correspondingly switch ON from standby mode.
- Source Switch: The M17 V2i will automatically switch sources if another CEC device requests a Source change. For example, if Play is pressed on a BD Player with CEC, the M17 V2i and TV with CEC will automatically switch to their respective input connections; the M17 V2i switching to the HDMI input where the BD Player is connected while the TV will switch to its input where the M17 V2i's HDMI Monitor Out is connected.
- Audio System: The M17 V2i will broadcast a CEC message indicating it is an active audio system. A CEC compatible TV will usually mute its audio output when this happens. When this option is enabled, the M17 V2i will also respond to CEC volume and mute commands. For example, a CEC TV may forward the volume commands from its remote to the M17 V2i.
Custom Integration Remote Options: The NAD M17 V2i is fitted with the following custom remote inputs/outputs.
- DC Trigger: There are four 3.5mm +12 volt trigger jacks, one input and three assignable outputs. The input allows the M17 V2i to be turned on by an external component; the outputs allow the M17 V2i to turn on other components. Each output is individually programmable and can engage when the AV surround sound pre-amplifier is turned on, when a specific secondary zone is turned on, when any secondary zone is turned on, or when a specific source is used. The outputs can also be delayed up to 15 seconds.
- IR Input/Outputs: There is an IR input (3.5mm), used to control this unit using an optional infrared repeater or the IR output of another component. There are also four IR output (3.5mm) used to control other compatible components.
- RS-232 Port: The rear-panel RS-232 port allows connection to a compatible PC or external whole-house control system from companies such as AMX or Crestron. NAD is a certified partner of AMX and Crestron and fully supports these external devices.
- Ethernet (LAN) Port: The M17 V2i is fitted with a Ethernet Port (RJ-45) to connect to your home network for IP control. With your PC and the M17 V2i on the same network, it allows remote control of the M17 V2i via compatible external controllers. The Ethernet port does not support BluOS or Airplay 2.
Un-Switched AC: The maximum output on the 2-prong un-switched AC outlet on the rear panel is 120 watts/1 amp.
Modular Design Construction (MDC): With MDC all major digital circuits can be upgraded and replaced to keep the M17 V2i up-to-date. This NAD innovation is a unique architecture that keeps pace with the fast changing world of digital formats by allowing connectivity and feature upgrades as new technology becomes available. Future video formats and surround sound decoders can be easily accommodated with NAD's exclusive MDC, allowing critical digital hardware and software to be upgraded. MDC helps to prevent obsolescence, so you can keep pace with the latest developments in high performance AV through dealer or do-it-yourself install modules. The M17 V2i can be upgraded as your needs and tastes develop, and you only need to replace the module you want to upgrade, not the entire AV preamp processor.
Note: The M17 V2i is equipped with NAD's AM17 audio module and VM310 video module.
AV Presets: The M17 V2is "AV Presets" allow you to customize your audio/video playback, and recall them with a single key-press (up to 5 AV presets can be configured). The parameters Listening Mode, DSP Options and Tone Controls, together with Speaker Setup and Display Setup are stored together as a single AV Preset. You may create one AV Preset optimized for pop music and another for classical. One more AV Preset can be set up to recall each family member's favorite setting or one for fully cinematic home-theater playback, and yet another one for late-night movies; with each AV Preset fine-tuned to a particular scenario or preference.
Front-Panel + On-Screen Display: The M17 V2i features a front-panel vacuum fluorescent display (VFD) which displays visual information about the current settings like the active Source, volume level, listening mode, audio format, and other related indicators. In addition to the unit's front-panel display, the M17 V2i employs a simple, self-explanatory on-screen display menus system which will appear on your connected television. The OSD can be output through HDMI only.
Sleep Mode: The Sleep Mode timer will switch the M17 V2i to Standby mode automatically after a preset number of minutes (15-90 min.).
Smart Power: By using separate analog and digital power supplies, the M17 V2i2 can provide maximum audio performance. A high power switch mode for the digital and video section, and linear power supply for the ultra high-speed audio processing, provides the required high current and stable voltages to maintain audio precision. Analog and Digital sections are kept completely separate for maximum sonic performance. Standby power consumption is also ultra-low at <0.5W.
1 question already asked