About the Bowers & Wilkins A5
With the Bowers & Wilkins A5 wireless speaker system you can enjoy amazing sound from your iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch®, or iTunes® on your computer. The system uses Apple AirPlay to let you wirelessly stream music from your compatible device with ease.
Advanced acoustics for exceptional sound
The system features quality electronics and drivers to deliver spacious, detailed sound. Tube-loaded tweeters ensure the highs remain clean and clear, without sounding strident.
The mid-range drivers use glass fiber cone material to control resonances and improve off-axis response. The result is full, natural sound throughout your room. B & W's Flowport™ passively reinforces low frequencies. The dimpled surface of its opening reduces air turbulence, producing clearer sound. It's the same effect that helps golf balls fly farther.
All four drivers are individually amplified to maximize accuracy. Bowers & Wilkins' proprietary Digital Signal Processing circuitry continually analyses and adjusts the audio signal. Even at maximum volume your music sounds balanced and clear.
The AirPlay advantage
From your computer you can easily make a wireless connection to the A5 system through iTunes®. You can wirelessly connect to multiple A5s (or other AirPlay-compatible systems like the Zeppelin Air) to simultaneously play your music in different locations throughout your home. And you can control the volume levels of each connected player individually or jointly through your computer's iTunes program.
With your Apple portable — iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch — you have even more options. Stream music wirelessly directly from your device to the A5. Or use your portable as a remote to control your computer's iTunes library. Through AirPlay you can select songs and playlists from your computer's iTunes library to play through the A5, and adjust the volume level of the system, as well.
An Ethernet jack lets you make a wired connection to your home network. Play music from other portable devices through the system's stereo minijack input.
- AirPlay lets you stream music wirelessly from your iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, or computer
- two 1" tweeters and two 4" mid/woofers
- 20 watts x 2 for tweeters, 20 watts x 2 for mid/woofers
- frequency response: 47-22,000 Hz (± 3dB)
- high-performance Class-D amplifier
- auxiliary stereo minijack input for other portable players
- RJ-45 Ethernet port for connection to your home network
- remote control
- AC power cable
- 11-13/16"W x 7-3/16"H x 6-1/16"D
- weight: 7.9 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # FP33936
What's in the box:
- AirPlay powered speaker
- AC power adapter (with attached 6.5' DC cord)
- 39" AC power cord
- Remote control (CR2032 3V battery)
- A5 Brochure booklet
- AirPlay Setup booklet
- Safety Instructions/Warranty
- Safety Information
Bowers & Wilkins A5 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Bowers & Wilkins A5
B&W A5 Wireless Music System: The Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) A5 is a wireless powered speaker system that employs Apple's AirPlay technology. Apple's AirPlay technology offers high-quality wireless audio streaming from your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad; as well as your Windows or Mac computer with iTunes. The A5 uses audiophile-grade Bowers & Wilkins audio technology for a high-fidelity sounding music system that can handle the broadest range of frequencies. The Bowers & Wilkins A5 works great in "out-of-the-way" spaces where it won't be noticed, such as on bookshelves or against walls.
High Quality Audio Design: The Bowers & Wilkins A5 wireless music system is equipped with a Class-D amplifier and digital signal processing (DSP). The Class-D amplifier is rated at 20-watts x 4 channels. The B&W A5 features two 1" Nautilus tube aluminum tweeters and two 4.0" mid-bass drivers. The wireless music system's enclosure is made from glass-filled ABS and feature's Bowers & Wilkins proprietary Flowport technology. The Bowers & Wilkins Flowport technology dramatically improves the system's overall bass performance. The unit's rear-firing port is dimpled to improve air flow, reducing turbulence. The result is less chuffing noise and less compression at high levels; which means better bass no matter how loud you like your music.
Apple AirPlay Technology: Apple's AirPlay technology allows music, downloaded to iTunes, to be streamed (wired or wirelessly) from your Mac or PC to the B&W A5. You can even bypass the computer entirely, and stream high-quality audio directly from your Apple iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad (all without the need to dock the device). The A5 supports Apple Lossless and MP3 audio file transfer. The B&W A5 and your AirPlay audio source must be connected to the same wireless network via a WiFi (802.11g/n) router or hub.
- iTunes Streaming: The B&W A5 is able to wirelessly play audio from your computer's iTunes account either wirelessly (WiFi) or via a wired (Ethernet) connection using AirPlay streaming technology. When connected to the same network as a computer running iTunes, the A5 can appear as an output option in the pop-up menu at the bottom of the iTunes window. You can then browse your iTunes collection on your computer and stream music to the A5. To use the AirPlay feature you need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.2.2 or later) connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network as the A5.
- Apple Device Streaming: AirPlay also lets you wirelessly stream your iTunes music and a variety of music apps (such as Pandora, iHeartRadio, etc) stored on your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to the A5. So there's no need to dock your Apple device. The Bowers & Wilkins A5's AirPlay feature works with iPod touch (2nd/3rd/4th/5th gen), iPhone (3GS/4/4S/5), iPad (1/2/3/4), and iPad mini with iOS 4.4.3 or later; connected to the same wireless network.
Simple Setup: In order to connect your Apple device to the B&W A5 wireless music system, you will need to download the Bowers & Wilkins AirPlay Setup App to your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad (running iOS 4.4.3 or later). The Bowers & Wilkins AirPlay Setup App is also available to download for your Mac computer or Windows PC from the Bowers & Wilkins Support Site, allowing you to set up and manage the wireless music system from your computer.
Auxiliary Input: The rear-panel 3.5mm auxiliary input accepts an analog stereo signal from an external audio source, such as your portable MP3 player.
Remote Control: The supplied wireless IR remote offers Power, Volume Up/Down, and Playback controls. Playback controls include Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track. The remote is powered by a single CR2032 3V lithium battery (pre-installed).
AC Power: The Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) A5 operates off of standard household AC current, using the supplied AC power adapter. The A5 will automatically enter Sleep mode if left inactive for more than 30 minutes.