About the Bowers & Wilkins AM-1
A rugged, sweet-sounding outdoor speaker
Bowers & Wilkins AM-1 outdoor speakers feature an inverted driver array that improves sound dispersion when the speaker is mounted overhead.
A rugged, sweet-sounding outdoor speaker
When the weather is comfortable, nothing beats listening to great music at the pool, patio, or back deck. Bowers & Wilkins designed their AM-1 speakers to sound exceptional and stand up to the weather.
Each speaker features a 5" woven glass-fiber cone woofer and 1" metal dome tweeter that deliver crisp, accurate sound for your outdoor listening enjoyment.
Bowers & Wilkins made some interesting design choices to help these speakers sound good in an outdoor environment. The tweeters are mounted below the woofers, to better disperse sound when they are mounted overhead in the eaves. The tweeters are tube-loaded, borrowing an idea from B&W's revolutionary Nautilus™ floor-standing indoor speakers.
The midbass/midrange driver also benefits from ideas developed in Bowers & Wilkins' high-end home speaker lineup. It features an Anti-Resonance plug that debuted with their PM1 loudspeaker. It's a mushroom-shaped device made of polymer foam that soaks up resonance and reduces cone break-up, creating unparalleled clarity and detail in the midrange. A rear-facing auxiliary bass radiator offers extended bass response while keeping the enclosure sealed against the elements.
The inverted driver array is encased in a rugged weather-resistant cabinet with an attractive rust-proof aluminum grille. They can be mounted vertically or horizontally with the included adjustable wall-mount brackets, which have speaker connections built right in to keep your installation looking neat and clean.
A rich history of audio excellence
Founded in England in the 1960s, Bowers & Wilkins is known worldwide for their innovative hi-fi speaker designs and their premium headphones. Crutchfield is proud to offer a diverse selection of products from this legendary audio brand.
Got wire?Most speakers don't include any. Learn about choosing and installing speaker wire at the Crutchfield Learning Center.
Shop our selection of speaker wire.
- inverted driver array places tweeter below woofer for improved sound dispersion when mounted overhead
- 1" Nautilus™ tube-loaded aluminum dome tweeter
- 5" glass-fiber cone woofer with rear-facing auxiliary bass radiator
- frequency response: 51-22,000 Hz
- fully sealed enclosure for indoor or outdoor use
- sensitivity: 86 dB
- recommended power: 20-100 watts
- low-profile wall mount included
- spring post speaker terminals are built into each mount
- can be angled up to 220°
- wall-mount screws must be purchased separately
Dimensions and warranty:
- 7-1/4"W x 12-1/8"H x 8-3/4"D
- weight: 8.8 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # FP35130
What's in the box:
- 2 Outdoor loudspeakers
- 2 Wall-mount brackets
- 2 Bolts
- 2 Washers
- Torx wrench
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Information
Bowers & Wilkins AM-1 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Bowers & Wilkins AM-1
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5|
|Woofer Composition||Woven glass-fiber|
|Power Range (watts)||20-100|
|Frequency Response||51-22k Hz|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Bracket Included||Adjustable bracket|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Weather Resistant Construction: The Bowers & Wilkins AM-1 loudspeaker is an ultra-durable, weather resistant loudspeaker that is designed with the outdoors in mind. With its rust-proof aluminum grille and super-rigid cabinet, the AM-1 is extremely durable. To make sure the AM-1 is highly resistant to the outdoor elements, the speaker must pass a range of rigorous weather tests, including UV exposure and testing inside an accelerated salt-spray chamber. The AM-1 is perfect for patio, garden, poolside, and other outdoor applications. The AM-1 is also suitable for indoor use and is a great choice for public indoor spaces. Indoors or outdoors, at home or in a restaurant, it's guaranteed to perform at a high level.
Inverted Driver Design: The AM-1 takes everything Bowers & Wilkins knows about high performance audio and adapts it to meet the demands of the outdoor listening environment. The speaker combines tried and trusted B&W technologies with new innovations, like an inverted driver array that places the tweeter below the midbass/midrange driver for optimum sound dispersion when the speaker is mounted high on a wall, plus an advanced bass radiator design that maximizes low-frequency performance while keeping the speaker sealed from the elements.
- Tube-Loaded, Aluminum Dome Tweeter: The Bowers & Wilkins AM-1 outdoor loudspeaker features a 1" aluminum dome tweeter. As well as featuring a unique surround material, the aluminum dome tweeter is tube-loaded; a design innovation B&W first introduced on their groundbreaking Nautilus loudspeaker. The tube works by soaking up unwanted resonance from the back of the tweeter, so the sound you hear from the front is as detailed and precise as possible.
- Woven Glass-Fiber Midbass/Midrange Driver: The AM-1 outdoor loudspeaker houses a 5" woven glass-fiber midbass/midrange driver with rubber surround. This redesigned midbass/midrange driver features B&W's AntiResonance Plug; an acoustic innovation first seen on B&W's high-end PM1 loudspeaker. Constructed from polymer foam, the mushroom-shaped device soaks up resonance like a sponge while also reducing cone break-up, creating unparalleled clarity and detail in the midrange.
- Auxiliary Bass Radiator (ABR): The B&W AM-1 outdoor loudspeaker needs a sealed enclosure for protection from rain and splashes, but that's not great for solid, powerful bass. So Bowers & Wilkins engineers designed a clever rear-mounted auxiliary bass radiator (ABR) to give extra low-end punch from a compact enclosure, while still maintaining the cabinet's weather-tight seal.
Spring Post Terminals: The AM-1 outdoor loudspeaker's spring post terminals are integrated into the included wall-mount bracket and hidden behind a removable plastic cover. When connected the speaker wire disappears into the back of the wall-mount bracket for a neat and professional looking installation. The spring post terminals will support up to 14AWG speaker wire.
Note: The spring-post terminals will not accept banana plugs, pin-connectors, or spade-lugs.
Mounting Options: AM-1 has been carefully designed to be easy to install, and its elegant cast aluminum wall-mount bracket incorporates an ingenious one-plug mounting system. The wall-mount bracket allows the AM-1t o be mounted vertically or horizontally, for total flexibility of installation. Combine this with minimal wall projection and a design that allows the speaker to be angled through 220-degrees, and you have a discreet, versatile outdoor loudspeaker that can provide you with pristine sound almost anywhere. Wall-mount screws for the bracket are not included and can be found at most local hardware stores.
- Vertical Mounting Dimensions: 7.25" (w) x 12.125" (h) x 8.75" (d)
- Horizontal Mounting Dimensions: 12.125" (w) x 7.25" (h) x 8.75" (d)
Note: The AM-1 is not designed to be used without the included bracket. The included wall-mount bracket must be installed since the speaker's spring post terminals are integrated into the bracket.
6 questions already asked