About the Bowers & Wilkins Reference Series CCM7.3 S2
Exceptional in-ceiling performance
Exceptional in-ceiling performance
Bowers & Wilkins is legendary for their high-performance bookshelf and floor-standing loudspeakers. But the British hi-fi company also makes elite custom-integration speakers, like the Reference Series CCM7.3 S2.
This unique in-ceiling speaker directs sound down and forward toward your listening position, making a movie's soundtrack feel like it's coming from the action unfolding on the screen, instead of several feet above it. This specialized design allows for use as a left-, right-, or center-channel speaker in an overhead home theater system.
The CCM7.3 S2's drivers are angled to direct sound toward your seat.
Three-way design for ultra-smooth sound
The CCM7.3 S2 employs a three-way design to create engaging, lifelike sound in your room.
It features two of Bowers & Wilkins' 5" Aerofoil™ Profile drivers for punchy bass, and a FST™ (Fixed Suspension Transducer) Continuum™ cone midrange driver for articulate mids.
Smooth, natural highs come courtesy of a 1" carbon dome tweeter.
A built-in enclosure elevates performance
One of my favorite features of the CCM7.3 S2 is the back-box that's built onto the speaker.
This carefully designed enclosure helps this speaker deliver consistently focused, well-balanced sound no matter what kind of space is behind it in your ceiling. It also keeps dust and dirt out.
Free lifetime technical support is provided with every Crutchfield purchase.
- Featured in our article: Best in-wall and in-ceiling surround sound systems for 2023
- ideal for an elite in-ceiling music system, or as part of a Bowers & Wilkins home theater system
- built-in back-box ensures well-balanced sound in any installation and protects against dust and dirt
- 3-way, angled-baffle design
- drivers are angled for better off-axis response compared to drivers that point straight down
- 1" carbon dome tweeter
- 4" FST (Fixed Suspension Transducer) Continuum cone midrange driver
- dual 5" Aerofoil Profile bass drivers
- frequency response: 55-28,000 Hz (±3dB)
- recommended amplifier power: 25 to 200 watts
- nominal impedance: 8 ohms
- sensitivity: 90 dB
- magnetic grille is paintable to match your décor
- speaker cutout diameter: 13-1/4"W x 13-1/4"H
- overall diameter: 14"W x 14"H
- mounting depth: 7-11/16"
- weight: 19.9 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # FP41084
What's in the box:
- In-ceiling loudspeaker
- Mounting frame/backbox
- Fiberfill (pre-installed inside of backbox)
- Paint shield
- 2 Screws
- 2 Washers
- Cutout Template
- Installation Instructions
- Warranty Information
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Bowers & Wilkins Reference Series CCM7.3 S2
Features & specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Power Range (Watts)||200|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Angled 3-Way Driver Array: The Bowers & Wilkins CCM7.3 S2 features a 3-way driver design witha a 1" Carbon dome tweeter, a 4" Continuum FST cone midrange and two 5" Aerofoil Profile bass drivers. The 1" Carbon dome tweeter delivers pinpoint imaging accuracy and detail, while the 4" Continumm FST cone midrange provides a natural and open midrange sound. The two 5" Aerofoil Profile bass drivers deliver deep, dynamic, and accurate bass response. The unique angle of the driver array makse sure the sound is directed toward the main listening area.
Integrated Backbox: The B&W CCM7.3 S2 in-ceiling speaker's critically formed baffle is constructed from glass reinforced ABS, while its integrated backbox cuts down sound transfer between spaces and optimizes sound quality.
Spring-Post Terminals: The B&W CCM7.3 S2 in-ceiling loudspeaker is outfitted with spring-post terminals that will accommodate bare speaker wire (up to 12AWG), pin connectors, and banana plugs (single only).
Magnetic & Paintable Grilles: The Bowers & Wilkins CCM7.3 S2 in-ceiling loudspeaker includes easy-to-install magnetic grilles that are also paintable. The grille protrudes 0.3125" from the ceiling.
In-Ceiling Installation: The B&W CCM7.3 S2 requires a square cutout and is secured in the ceiling via the included mounting frame with integrated "QuickDogs" spring-loaded clamps that tighten using phillips-head screws. The cutout will need to measure 13.25" (w) x 13.25" (h) x 7.6875" (depth). Make sure there is a least 0.75" of clearance around the cutout opening for the integrated "QuickDogs" clamps. The mounting clamps will accommodate 0.25" to 1.25" thick drywall.
Note: Before installing the CCM7.3 S2 in-ceiling speaker, you should ensure that the ceiling location chosen is free of obstructions such as pipe work, ducting or wiring that will interfere with the installation. In existing drywall construction, use a stud-finding tool to help you map the ceiling construction and a pipe detector to scan the proposed installation location.
Applications: Designed for down-firing, in-ceiling use, the B&W CCM7.3 S2 can be used as a front, center, or rear channel speakers in a home theater system. It can also be used in a stereo or distributed audio application.
- Home Theater: When used as front channels, the left and right speakers should be located on either side of the screen approximately 20" away. When used as a center channel, the speaker should be located directly above the screen. As rear surround channels, the speakers should be located just behind and one either side of the listening position.
- 2-Channel Stereo: For applications where a pair of CCM7.3 S2 speakers are to be used for conventional stereo reproduction, they should be located between 10' and 16.5' apart and a similar distance in front of the listening area.
- Distributed Audio: For applications where single CCM7.3 S2 Series speakers are required to operate independently to provide background audio, they can be mounted as installation convenience and architecture dictate. The only acoustic constraint to bear in mind is that corner locations will result in significantly emphasized low frequencies and should be avoided.
- Try to avoid corner locations for any of the speakers and to ensure that the acoustic environment around each speaker is similar.
- The nature of the installation of in-ceiling speakers means that it is sometimes impractical to locate them in the acoustically ideal positions. In these cases they should be located as close as is practical to the ideal positions.