About the Bowers & Wilkins Formation Bass
Clean, powerful bass
Pair the Formation Bass subwoofer with the Formation Bar sound bar (available separately) for hard-hitting sound with movies and TV shows.
Clean, powerful bass
Want to make the detailed high-resolution sound of a Bowers & Wilkins Formation speaker even better? Add a wireless Formation Bass subwoofer to enhance its low-frequency performance. This compact sub uses Bowers & Wilkins' proprietary high-performance mesh network technology to deliver exceptionally clear and accurate bass. Pair it with the Formation Duo, Formation Wedge, or Formation Bar.
Advanced speaker design
The Formation Bass features dual side-firing 6-1/2" woven glass-fiber woofers with rubber surrounds, mounted horizontally and firing in opposite directions. This dual-woofer configuration provides deep, distortion-free bass. The drivers are powered by a 250-watt Class D amplifier. Built-in Dynamic EQ optimizes bass performance in real time.
Simple multi-room app control
Setting up and wirelessly connecting the Formation Bass to a compatible speaker is simple with the Bowers & Wilkins Home app. Download the app from the Apple App Store or Google Play to your smartphone or tablet. It walks you through the setup process. It also lets you add other Formation speakers easily as you build out your multi-room audio system.
A rich history of audio excellence
Founded in England in the 1960s, Bowers & Wilkins is known worldwide for their innovative hi-fi speaker designs and their premium headphones. Crutchfield is proud to offer a diverse selection of products from this legendary audio brand.
- wireless subwoofer only for use with Bowers & Wilkins Formation speakers
- two opposed 6-1/2" long-throw bass drivers
- 250-watt Class D amplifier
- Dynamic EQ optimizes bass performance in real time
- frequency response: 20-150 Hz
Bowers & Wilkins control app:
- free download from Apple® App Store and Google Play
- Spotify Connect built-in (subscription required)
- control multiple compatible Formation speakers to play the same song simultaneously or different songs in different rooms
- customizable speaker and group names
- displays current song and artist information
- control volume and EQ settings
- requires a Formation Duo, Formation Wedge, or Formation Bar
- connects via Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi
- requires AC power, (cable included)
- 11-1/16"W x 10"-3/16"H x 10-3/16"D
- weight; 26.7 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # FP40258
What's in the box:
- Wireless powered subwoofer
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Bowers & Wilkins Formation Brochure
- Safety & Warranty Information
- Roon Brochure
- Caution Note
Bowers & Wilkins Formation Bass reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Bowers & Wilkins Formation Bass
Formation Series Wireless Powered Sub: The Formation Bass wireless powered subwoofer is part of Bowers & Wilkins Formation Series and pairs seamlessly with other Formation Series speakers (such as the Formation Bar, Formation Duo, Formation Flex, and Formation Wedge - all sold separately).
Opposed Dual Driver Technology: The Bowers & Wilkins Formation Bass features a unique patented cylindrical design that enables the use of opposed dual driver technology to reduce distortion. The Formation Bass houses two 6.5" woven glass-fiber woofers with rubber surrounds that are side-firing in opposite directions. The dual 6.5" woofers deliver deep, distortion-free bass.
Class D Amplifier w/ Dynamic EQ: The two 6.5" woofers are powered by a 250 watt Class D amplifier with digital signal processing (DSP) and a Dynamic EQ for optimized bass performance. You'll hear deep bass that is efficient, accurate, and robust.
Wired & Wireless Network Connectivity: The Bowers & Wilkins Formation Bass supports a wired (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi) network connection. The Formation Bass is equipped with an RJ-45 LAN jack for a wired connection to your network router. It also offers built-in WiFi (2.4GHz) for a wireless connection to your network router. By connecting the Formation Bass to your network, you are able to create a wireless mesh connection between the powered subwoofer and a compatible Formation Series speaker.
Bowers & Wilkins Home App: The Bowers & Wilkins Home app (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) is required to connect the Formation Bass to your home network and also to establish a wireless mesh connection with your compatible Formation Series speaker in your home.
Note: Click here for Bowers & Wilkins Formation Series support page.
Controls: You can control the volume level of the Formation Bass from the Bowers & Wilkins Formation app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. The wireless powered subwoofer automatically configures its low pass crossover frequency setting based on the type of Formation Series speaker it is paired to. When partnered with a Formation Bar, the Formation Bass will automatically switch to reproducing the low frequency effects (LFE) channel of Dolby Digital encoded material.
AC Power with Auto On/Off: The Formation Bass comes with a detachable 6.5' AC power cord that plugs into the bottom of the wireless powered subwoofer and into an AC wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). The Formation Bass will automatically turn on when it senses a wireless audio signal from a compatible Formation Series speaker. The wireless powered sub will automatically power off after twenty minutes of no audio signal and no operation.
Placement Options: Your Formation Bass should be placed on the floor in reasonably close proximity to your wirelessly paired Formation speaker it is partnered with. The wireless powered subwoofer should be placed in front of the listening position or to the side of the listening position. The Formation Bass should not be located behind the listening position.
- In the case of a Formation Wedge or Formation Bar, a subwoofer location directly beneath the speaker, or at least adjacent to a common wall, is likely to produce the best result.
- In the case of a Formation Bass partnered with a pair of Formation Duo speakers, the best results are likely to be obtained if the Formation Bass is placed between the Duo speakers or in the vicinity of one of them.