About the Bowers & Wilkins Formation Flex
The flexible Formation Flex
The Formation Flex fits just about anywhere.
The flexible Formation Flex
The Bowers & Wilkins Formation Flex gives you exceptional sound reproduction from your streaming music. And this compact and versatile wireless powered speaker gives you plenty options. Use it by itself for music in a smaller room. Pair two Formation Flex speakers for stereo sound. Or use a pair with a Formation Bar and a Formation Bass for a wireless 5.1 home theater system.
Ready for multi-room audio
Formation speakers create their own patented, robust mesh network. This ensures proper bandwidth for high-res audio streaming, without overtaxing your home Wi-Fi® network, as well as near-perfect speaker synchronization.
High-performance speaker design
The Formation Flex features a version of the company's highly acclaimed decoupled double dome tweeter and a bass/midrange driver with a woven glass fiber cone. The speaker also has 24-bit/96kHz streaming audio resolution. This ensures clear, accurate sound and that the Flex will do justice to your high-resolution music files.
Simple multi-room app control
Formation wireless speakers are easy to use, thanks to the Bowers & Wilkins Home app. Download it from the Apple App Store or Google Play to your smartphone or tablet. The app walks you through the setup process. It also lets you add other Formation speakers easily as you build out your multi-room audio system.
You can assign room names to your Formation speakers, group them to simultaneously play the same song, or play different songs from different sources in each room.
The Formation Flex features Bluetooth 4.1 for playing audio sources from a wide variety of apps on your mobile device. Built-in aptX HD and AAC decoding provide high-quality music streaming from compatible devices.
Spotify Connect is built-in, too, so you can easily stream from this popular service if you have a subscription.
Built-in Apple AirPlay 2 technology lets you play audio directly from your iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac® computer through the Formation Flex. That includes soundtracks from YouTube® videos and Netflix movies.
Roon-compatible for serious music lovers
The Formation system is also compatible with Roon, a subscription digital music player for your smartphone, tablet, or computer. It gives you multi-room audio playback for all your Formation devices and more.
Roon accesses your digital music collection from your iTunes library or NAS drive. It also works with your TIDAL subscription. Roon lets you do deep dives into your music, showing artist bios, photos, reviews, and lyrics. Roon can also suggest other artists and songs based on your selections, making it easy to discover new music you'll enjoy.
A rich history of audio excellence
Founded in England in the 1960s, Bowers & Wilkins is known worldwide for their innovative hi-fi speaker designs and their premium headphones. Crutchfield is proud to offer a diverse selection of products from this legendary audio brand.
- built-in Bluetooth 4.1
- aptX HD and AAC decoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- Apple AirPlay 2 for streaming music from an iPhone, iPod, or computer's iTunes®
- proprietary Formation mesh network for wireless multi-room audio
- up to 24-bit/96kHz streaming audio resolution
- 1 microsecond sync between in-room speakers to virtually eliminate latency
- one 1" double dome tweeter and one 4" woven glass fiber cone bass/midrange driver
- total system power: 2 x 50 watts
- frequency response: 50-28,000 Hz
Bowers & Wilkins control app:
- free download from Apple® App Store and Google Play
- Spotify Connect built-in (subscription required)
- control multiple compatible Formation speakers to play the same song simultaneously or different songs in different rooms
- customizable speaker and group names
- displays current song and artist information
- control volume and EQ settings
- pair two Formation Flex speakers for stereo
- pair two Formation Flex speakers with a Formation Bar and a Formation Bass for a 5.1 home theater system
- Roon-ready (subscription required)
- connects to your home network via Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi
- requires AC power, cable included
- 5-1/8"W x 8-1/2"H x 5-1/8"D
- weight: 5 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # FP41262
What's in the box:
- Wireless audio loudspeaker
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Bowers & Wilkins Formation Brochure
- Safety & Warranty Information
- Roon Brochure
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Bowers & Wilkins Formation Flex
Room-Filling Sound: The Bowers & Wilkins Formation Flex features a two-way driver design with a 1" double-dome tweeter and a 4" woven glass fiber cone midbass/midrange driver The Formation Flex utilizes Class D amplification with digital signal processing (DSP) and a Dynamic EQ for optimized sound performance at any volume level. A 50W x 2ch Class D amplifier powers the tweeter and woofer. It has a frequency response of 50Hz to 28,000Hz.
Wired & Wireless Network Connectivity: The Bowers & Wilkins Formation Flex supports a wired (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi) network connection. The Formation Flex is equipped with an RJ-45 LAN jack for a wired connection to your network router. It also offers built-in WiFi (2.4GHz) for a wireless connection to your network router. By connecting the Formation Flex to your network, you gain access to Spotify Connect, Apple AirPlay 2, Roon, and B&W's proprietary Formation Wireless Multiroom Audio Eco-System.
Bowers & Wilkins Home App: The Bowers & Wilkins Home app (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) provides simple setup and control from your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device. Use the Bowers & Wilkins Home app to connect the Formation Flex and other Formation Series products to your WiFi network. The app also lets you control basic functions - such as Source Selection, Volume Up/Down, as well as Bass & Treble of the speaker. In addition, the app lets you create a wireless multiroom audio mesh network with other Bowers & Wilkins Formation products for a whole house audio experience. You'll be able to control each Formation Series product in your home through this one application on your compatible Apple iOS or Android OS device. Software and firmware updates are also enabled through the Bowers & Wilkins Home app.
Note: The Bowers & Wilkins Home app (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) is required to connect your Formation Flex to your home network and also to establish connection with other Formation Series products in your home.
Formation Wireless Multiroom Audio: The Formation Flex is part of Bowers & Wilkins Formation Series of products (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) that can be used together to create a wireless multiroom high-resolution audio system. B&W Formation Series products wirelessly connect together through a proprietary mesh network, independently from your WiFi network, to ensure 24-bit/96kHz high-resolution audio performance throughout your home. Each Formation Series product dynamically chooses the optimal path to route audio-data between products, in order to ensure a robust streaming experience with near perfect speaker synchronization (1 microsecond sync between speakers).
- Number of Speaker Groups: You can have up to six Bowers & Wilkins Formation Series products on one wireless mesh network. You can group Formation products together and play the same audio source through each speaker or have different audio sources from different devices playing through each speaker.
- Compatible Sources: Spotify Connect, AirPlay 2, Roon, and Bluetooth audio are supported by Formation wireless multiroom audio.
Note: It is not possible to stream multiple different music sources from a single device to multiple Formation speakers. In order to play different audio sources on different speakers, you will need to use separate source devices with the Bowers & Wilkins Home app installed. Click here for Bowers & Wilkins Formation Series support page.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the B&W Formation Flex from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android). Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
Apple AirPlay 2: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any sound from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the B&W Formation Flex and other compatible AirPlay 2 components throughout your home. You will also be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music on the Formation Flex. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the Bowers & Wilkins Formation Flex.
Roon Ready: Roon is a feature rich music library and playback application that compiles all the music files available to your network and makes them easily available to play across all your B&W Formation Series products and any other Roon enabled audio devices. Roon manages digital music files (including FLAC, WAV, AIFF, ALAC, and DSD) collected on hard drives and networked storage. It can also watch your iTunes library, and optionally integrate with the Tidal and Qobuz music streaming services. Roon is available for mobile, laptop or desktop devices. When you open the Roon app, it will display your complete audio library together with its metadata and artwork along with all the available Formation and Roon enabled devices. Simply select the music you wish to play and the Formation or Roon device in which you want to hear it on.
Note: To use Roon you will need a Roon Core running on the same network as the Formation Flex and other Formation Series products. The Core is media server software that runs on your computer, NAS, or turnkey appliance (like Nucleus or ROCK - sold separately), located on the network within your home.
Bluetooth Audio w/ aptX HD: The Bowers & Wilkins Formation Flex features built-in Bluetooth 4.1 with support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP). You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled source device (such as your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer) to the speaker. You'll continue to use your Bluetooth-enabled source device to control playback functions and view song/artist info (album art).
- Supported Codecs: In addition to support for Bluetooth's standard SBC audio codec, the Formation Flex supports AAC for higher quality playback from Apple iOS devices, as well as support of aptX HD for 24-bit/48kHz audio playback from compatible devices. aptX HD supports 48kHz/24-bit LPCM audio over a Bluetooth wireless connection for a "better-than-CD" listening experience.
- Multi-Device Pairing: Up to eight Bluetooth devices can be paired with the soundbar, but only one can be connected and used at a time. The Formation Flex does not support auto reconnection with previously paired Bluetooth devices.
Note: The Formation Flex will require a network connection and the Bowers & Wilkins Home app to complete to complete the pairing process of your Bluetooth-enabled source devices.
Applications & Mounting Options: The Formation Flex can be used as a single mono speaker, as a compact stereo pair, or as rear surround speakers in a home theater setup. The Formation Flex can be paired with another Formation Flex speaker (sold separately) to create a wireless stereo pair. Two Formation Flex speakers can also be paired together to create wireless rear speakers for B&W's Formation Bar soundbar speaker (749FORMBAR, sold separately). The Formation Flex speaker can be placed on a shelf, table, or stand (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
- Stereo Pairing: When used as a stereo pair with another Formation Flex, the speakers should be at least 3' apart and a similar distance from the listening area. If the speakers are positioned too close together, the stereo reproduction may lack scale. If they are too far apart, the stereo focus may be weak. There is no need to angle your Formation Flex inwards towards the listening area however doing so may tighten the stereo focus.
- Wireless Rears: When paired with another Formation Flex speaker and used as rear speakers with the Bowers & Wilkins Formation Bar, the wireless rear speakers should be placed as close to 120-degrees from the soundbar speaker as possible.
Note: The Formation Flex does not offer a bracket, threaded-insert, or key-hole slot to wall-mount the speaker.
Optional Wireless Powered Sub: Add the Bowers & Wilkins Formation Bass wireless powered subwoofer (749FRMBASS, sold separately) to a single Formation Flex speaker or a pair of Formation Flex speakers for deeper bass from your music soundtracks.
AC Power with Auto On/Off: The Formation Flex comes with a detachable 6.5' AC power cord that plugs into the bottom of the wireless speaker and into an AC wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). The Formation Flex will automatically turn on when it senses a wireless audio source signal. The wireless speaker will automatically power off after twenty minutes of no audio signal and no operation.
Note: The Formation Flex wireless audio speaker is not battery powered.
1 question already asked