About the Bowers & Wilkins PI4
Legendary B&W performance and adaptive noise cancellation
The PI4 neckband earbuds play music wirelessly and feature active noise cancellation.
Legendary B&W performance and adaptive noise cancellation
Bowers & Wilkins is best known for their legendary speakers, but they've also been on the cutting edge of headphones for the last few years. The B&W PI4 earbuds sport the on-trend neckband design, and are loaded with state-of-the-art features. That includes the latest, most sophisticated wireless Bluetooth technology and adaptive noise cancellation.
Music and podcasts play wirelessly from your phone. And B&W's specially designed noise-canceling circuitry is super-flexible. A dedicated button on the neckband's remote lets you scroll through different levels of noise canceling.
Large drivers offer balanced, detailed sound
True to the company's sound-focused roots, you'll find a powerful 14.2mm dynamic driver in each earbud. These drivers were developed and created by the sound engineers responsible for B&W's flagship 800 D3 loudspeakers. They are tuned for clear, well-balanced sound with precise stereo imaging.
The latest and greatest in wireless audio
Music plays wirelessly from your phone via Bluetooth 5.0 — the strongest, most reliable Bluetooth yet. B&W's neckband 'phones are also the first set of earbuds to feature aptX® Adaptive technology. This versatile wireless audio codec automatically detects if you're in an area with competing Bluetooth signals, and adjusts accordingly. In those crowded areas, it will optimize reliability over sound quality.
In places with no competing wireless signals, it will better preserve the audio quality with compatible phones. The aptX Adaptive technology can also sense when you're watching a video on, say, Netflix® or YouTube™, and keep latency low. So the audio and video should be better synced up.
Long-lasting noise cancellation
These headphones boast a 10 hour battery life with noise cancellation, so they should last most trips — and certainly most commutes. And if you forget to charge your headphones like I do, a quick charge can buy you some time. Just 15 minutes of charging gets you up to 3 hours of listening time.
A quick way to stay aware
When you hold the dedicated button for two seconds, "ambient pass-through" mode is activated. This uses the headphones' built-in mics to allow in external sounds. That comes in handy if someone quickly needs your attention.
Lightweight and convenient for calls and music
If you've never worn this type of headphone, the rigid band actually rests on your collar area, allowing you to move your head around freely. The lightweight earbuds seem like they are hardly there at all. The cables and neckband are coated with a silicone and rubber mixture that feels soft to the touch.
Plus, there are in-line controls for music and phone calls. The built-in microphone is designed to reduce background noise and keep conversations clear.
Comfortable ear tips that stay in place
With in-ear headphones, finding a good, stable fit is important for both comfort and sound. And with noise-canceling headphones, a proper sound-isolating seal is half the battle. It also helps reinforce bass response. B&W includes three sizes of soft, flexible ear tips and three sizes of ear "fins" to further secure the headphones.
- Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity for wireless music listening and phone calls
- aptX® Adaptive automatically adjusts to prioritize audio quality or low latency, depending on the listening situation
- aptX HD and AAC decoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- earbud cables connect to a rigid neckband that rests comfortably around your neck
- neckband and cables coated in soft silicone and rubber
- each earbud features a 14.2mm dynamic driver for balanced, detailed sound
- engineered by the team responsible for the company's flagship 800 D3 loudspeaker
Adaptive noise cancellation:
- digital hybrid noise-canceling circuitry to minimize external noise
- designed to preserve listening experience by not interfering with audio quality
- noise cancellation level is manually adjustable
- neckband button for toggling through levels of noise cancellation
- press button quickly to toggle through, and hold button for two seconds to activate "ambient pass-through"
- Bowers & Wilkins app lets you manually adjust noise cancellation and sound
- free download for Apple® and Android™ devices
- rechargeable battery offers up to 10 hours of listening with noise cancellation (up to 12 hours without)
- 15 minute quick charge provides enough power for 3 hours of listening
- three-button remote on neckband for controlling music and phone calls
- built-in microphone for making phone calls
- includes three pairs of ear tips to ensure a comfortable, secure fit
- three sizes of silicone ear "fins" help further stabilize the earbuds
- magnetic earbuds let you snap them together to wear around your neck when not in use
- USB-C charging cable
- carrying case
- frequency response: 10-30,000 Hz
- weight: 1.4 oz.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # FP41238
What's in the box:
- In-ear wireless neckband headphones (black) with 33" connecting cable
- 3 Pairs of silicone ear tips (1 pair installed)
- 3 Pairs of silicone stabilizer fins (1 pair installed)
- 8" USB charging cable (Type A USB on one end and USB-C on other end)
- Cloth storage pouch
- Quick Start Guide
- Safety & Warranty booklet
Bowers & Wilkins PI4 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Bowers & Wilkins PI4
Features & specs
|Earcup Width x Height||0.851" x 0.705"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||Yes|
|Frequency Response||10-30k Hz|
|1/4-inch Adapter Included||No|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) PI4 wireless in-ear neckband headphones feature Bluetooth version 5.0 with aptX Adaptive for superior audio, as well as Adaptive Noise Cancellation. The PI4 neckband headphones come with a 33" connecting cable that drapes behind the neck so it's out of the way. They come with three sets of silicone ear tips and stabilizers, an 8" USB-C charging cable, and a fabric storage pouch.
Bluetooth 5.0: The PI4 wireless headphones feature Bluetooth 5.0 with aptX Adaptive for high fidelity, 24-bit wireless streaming audio from your smartphone, tablet, or computer. aptX Adaptive automatically adjusts to provide optimum audio quality or latency depending on what content is being played on the device. It is also backwards compatible with aptX and aptX HD enabled devices. SBC (Low Complexity Sub-band Coding) and AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) also assure high quality audio. The headphones support the following Bluetooth platforms: A2DP (v1.3.1), AVRCP (v1.6.1), HFP (v1.7.1), HSP (v1.2) and BLE GATT (Generic Attribute Profile). The PI4s can connect up to two devices at the same time, however, only one device at a time can play audio or take calls.
Adaptive Noise Cancellation: The B&W PI4 headphones feature the latest innovations in adaptive noise cancellation. Noise-cancelling microphones pick up ambient noise and cancel it with an equal, but opposite, audio signal. You can activate ANC and select the ANC mode using the dedicated button on the left control unit or the B&W Headphone App. There are three levels of Adaptive Noise Cancellation:
- High: Recommended for use in consistently noisy environments, such as an airplane cabin.
- Low: The low setting lets you listen to your music in places where you need to be aware of your surrounding.
- Auto: Intelligent sensors determine the amount of noise-cancelling that is needed depending upon your current environment.
Ambient Pass-Through: When you need to stay aware of your surroundings, you can activate and adjust the Ambient Pass-Through feature. Ambient Pass-Through allows in some external noise from your surroundings so you can hear announcements, conversations, or oncoming traffic without taking your headphones off. In the B&W Headphones App, you can enable/disable and adjust the amount of transparency of the Ambient Pass-Through feature.
Bowers & Wilkins Headphones App: The Bowers & Wilkins Headphones App (2019 version) is designed to optimize the use of the PI4 headphones with your smartphone or tablet. Opening the app on your device automatically makes pairing extremely easy. The app indicates the battery charge level of your headphones. The app is compatible with iOS (11.0 or later) and Android (5.0 and up) devices. Through the app, you can take advantage of the following features:
- Switch Connections: The app can help you switch from one phone connection to another.
- Noise Cancellation: The app lets you choose between High, Low, or Auto levels of noise cancellation.
- Ambient Pass-Through: You can enable/disable this feature, and adjust the level of transparency.
- Voice Prompts: Voice Prompts can provide spoken confirmation of commands, as well as pairing and battery status. In the app, you can turn the Voice Prompts on or off.
- Power Off Timer: When you have finished listening, you can use the app to customize how long your headphones will stay on before powering off. You can choose from 60, 30, 15, 10, or 5 minutes, or Off.
- Software Updates: Software updates are frequently released to add new features or keep your headphones performing optimally. The app will notify your when an update is available, and allow you to download the update and load it to your headphones.
Note: The B&W PX app is not compatible with the PI4 headphones.
Rechargeable Battery: The headphones are powered by a rechargeable Lithium Polymer battery that is charged via USB with the supplied USB-C cable. With a 3 hour full charge, the PI4 Wireless headphones offer up to 10 hours of battery life using Bluetooth. A 15-minute Quick Charge provides a solid 3 hours of playback. You can monitor your battery level with the LED status indicator color: White (>30%), Amber (30% to 10%), and Red (<10%).
Drivers: The PI4 wireless headphones feature specially-designed 14.2mm drivers. These drivers are designed by the same team that designed the B&W 800 Diamond Series loudspeakers used in the famous Abbey Road studios.
Magnetic Clip Sensors: Both ear buds have integrated magnetic sensors that let you conserve battery power. When you clip the ear buds together, the headphones enter standby mode. When you're ready to listen again, unclip the ear buds to wake the headphones and playback resumes on the last connected Bluetooth device. You can customize this feature in the B&W Headphones App.
Ear Tips and Stabilizers: Three pairs of silicone ear tips (Small, Medium, Large) are included to help ensure you get the best fit. In addition, the three pairs of stabilizer fins help to keep the ear tips in your ear during rigorous activites.
In-line Controls: The headphone controls are located on two separate in-line control modules. The power and noise cancelling buttons are on the left control, while the volume and multi-function buttons are on the right control. The multi-function button lets you play or pause playback, skip to the next or previous track, answer or end phone calls, decline calls, and switch between two calls.
- Frequency Response: 10Hz to 30kHz
- Distortion (THD): <0.3% (1 kHz/10 mW)
- Ear Bud Dimensions: Width 0.851", Height 0.705", Depth 0.728"
- Weight: 1.5 ounces