About the Bowers & Wilkins PI7
Deluxe wire-free earbuds with top-flight noise cancellation
The B&W PI5 true wireless earbuds play music wirelessly via Bluetooth and offer adaptive noise cancellation.
Deluxe wire-free earbuds with top-flight noise cancellation
In the world of premium audio, few names ring out like Bowers & Wilkins. Their top-of-the-line PI7 true wireless earbuds exhibit the company's natural knack for blending style and substance. These wire-free in-ears sport a sleek design, stay-put fit, and serve up a pristine sound, rich in dynamics. Plus, they have sophisticated noise-canceling technology that adjusts to external sounds in real time, thanks to an array of six built-in mics.
I can say from my brief audition that the noise cancellation is among the best available. I simply don't expect earbuds to cancel noise this well. The PI7s reduced the gnarly growl of my lawnmower's motor to a mere murmur — and that's before I even hit play on my music! I could listen to tunes and keep up with podcast conversations at a safe, comfortable volume.
Convenient touch controls and mobile app
Music plays wirelessly from your phone via Bluetooth 5.0, a newer version of the popular wireless technology. You can pair to two devices at the same time — which is helpful in the home office. Touch or tap either earbud to control music, calls, noise cancellation and more.
And the optional Bowers & Wilkins headphone app will give you further control of the sound and noise cancellation, right on your phone. B&W also loaded a selection of relaxing "SoundScapes" nature sounds to choose from when you want to zone out. The app is available as a free download for Apple® and Android™.
You get 4 hours of listening with noise cancellation on a full charge, and the charging case banks up to 16 hours of power.
Dual-driver design for precise, well-rounded sound
The PI7 sound was developed and tuned by the sound engineers responsible for B&W's flagship 800 D3 loudspeakers. Inside each earbud, there's a combination of two drivers, each driven by its own dedicated amplifier. One is the same powerful 9.2mm dynamic driver found in their PI5 earbuds, and the other is a balanced armature tweeter to cover the upper-mids and highs.
I usually like to spend more time with a set of headphones before I form an opinion, but a quick run through some familiar music gave me a nice first impression. I was particularly struck by the imaging — and how the size of the soundstage seemed to adjust based on the song. On some tracks the presentation felt more intimate, on others more spacious. But because of precision and sense of space, there was always a tactile depth and layering to what I was hearing, beyond what you might expect from a set of true wireless earbuds.
Add Bluetooth to any device with a headphone jack
B&W thought of a handy travel hack — the charging case can double as a wireless audio transmitter. A USB-C to stereo mini cable is included. It helps connect the case to in-flight entertainment, a laptop, or anything else with a 3.5mm headphone jack. Then, the case sends audio signals wirelessly to the PI7 earbuds via Bluetooth.
I tried this out one night and watched a show on a computer without Bluetooth built in. It worked seamlessly for me. I was worried that it might be hard to sync up with no screen involved, but I pressed the button on the case and the earbuds paired right up.
Ear tips stay firmly in place
In-ear headphones are only as good as their fit. And with noise-canceling headphones, a proper sound-isolating seal is half the battle. These earbuds lock into place with a slight twist, and simply did not budge as I moved my head around. B&W includes three sizes of soft, flexible ear tips to ensure a snug, secure fit.
- 100% wire-free headphones
- no connecting cord between left and right earbuds
- Bluetooth 5.0 for wireless music listening and phone calls
- aptX® Adaptive automatically adjusts to prioritize audio quality or low latency, depending on the listening situation
- aptX HD decoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible device
- multi-point connection for pairing to two devices at once
- IP54 waterproof design from premium materials
- aluminum housings and accents with satin finish
- charging case features a Bluetooth transmitter to send audio wirelessly to earbuds
- USB-C to 3.5mm analog miniplug cable connects case to a laptop, stereo, or in-flight entertainment system
- case sends audio wirelessly to earbuds
Audio performance features:
- hybrid dual-driver system inside each earpiece
- 9.2mm dynamic driver tuned for clear mids and extended bass
- balanced-armature driver for detailed, precise vocals and highs
- two built-in amplifiers inside each earpiece
- high-grade wireless connection between left and right earbud for proper stereo imaging
Adaptive noise cancellation and controls:
- advanced noise-canceling circuitry to minimize external noise
- designed to preserve listening experience by not interfering with audio quality
- six-mic system helps monitor external sound and automatically adjust noise cancellation
- noise cancellation level is manually adjustable
- touch controls on each earbud for noise cancellation, music playback, and calls
- "ambient pass-through" turns off noise-canceling so you can hear your surroundings
- access Google Assistant, Alexa, or Siri using the button on the right earbud
- Bowers & Wilkins app for adjusting noise cancellation and sound (free download for Apple® and Android™)
- choose from "SoundScapes" nature sounds designed for relaxation
Charging case and battery info:
- built-in rechargeable batteries offers 4 hours of listening with noise cancellation
- carrying case banks up to 16 hours of power to wirelessly recharge headphones
- 15 minutes inside case provides enough power for 2 hours of listening with noise cancellation
- USB-A to USB-C cable included for charging case
- wireless charging available with compatible Qi chargers (not included)
Accessories and specs:
- includes 3 sizes of silicone sleeves to keep earbuds secure
- frequency response: 10-20,000 Hz
- weight: 0.48 ounces (both earbuds)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # FP42560
What's in the box:
- Left and right true wireless in-ear headphones (white)
- Charging case (white)
- 3 Pairs of silicone ear tips (1 pair installed)
- 31" USB-C charging cable (USB-C plugs on both ends)
- 31" Audio cable (USB-C plug on one end and straight 3.5mm plug on other end)
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
Bowers & Wilkins PI7 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Bowers & Wilkins PI7
Features & specs
|Fit Style||True Wireless|
|Earcup Width x Height||0.869" x 0.674"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||Yes|
|Voice Assistant Access|
|Frequency Response||10-20k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) PI7 True Wireless in-ear headphones feature Bluetooth version 5.0 with aptX Adaptive for superior audio, as well as Adaptive Noise Cancellation. The PI7s come with a charging case, three pairs of silicone ear tips, a USB-C charging cable, and a USB-C-to-3.5mm audio cable. The PI7s are covered by a two-year warranty.
Charging Case: The PI7s come with a sturdy and attractive charging case for charging the earbuds when not in use. The case is equipped with two 350mAh/2.59Wh rechargeable batteries. Each earbud has a rechargeable battery which provides up to 4 hours of wireless playback. Including the charging case, the PI7 can provide up to 20 hours of continuous playback. The earbuds fully charge inside the case in approximately 3 hours. A 15-minute quick charge provides up to 2 hours of playback time. Charging case dimensions: Width 2.42", Height 2.182", Depth 1.091", Weight 1.65 ounces (2.2 ounces including earbuds).
Bluetooth 5.0: The PI7 true wireless headphones feature Bluetooth 5.0 with aptX Adaptive for high fidelity, 24-bit wireless streaming audio from your smartphone, tablet, or computer. aptX Adaptive automatically adjusts to provide optimum audio quality or latency depending on what content is being played on the device. It is also backwards compatible with aptX, aptX Low Latency, and aptX HD enabled devices. SBC (Low Complexity Sub-band Coding) and AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) also assure high quality audio. The headphones support the following Bluetooth platforms: A2DP (v1.3.1), AVRCP (v1.6.1), HFP (v1.7.1), HSP (v1.2) and BLE GATT (Generic Attribute Profile). The PI7s can connect up to two devices at the same time, however, only one device at a time can play audio or take calls. For compatible Android devices, the PI7 can pair using GFP (Google Fast Pair), allowing you to pair the headphones by placing the charging case within 4 inches of the device.
Media Streaming: You can stream music through the charging case by connecting it to a media source with one of the supplied USB-C cables (USB-C to USB-C or USB-C to 3.5mm). This allows you to listen to the music source with a pair of Bowers & Wilkins wireless headphones. Both earbuds have to be inside the case when using the secondary headphones.
Adaptive Noise Cancellation: The B&W PI7 headphones feature the latest innovations in adaptive noise cancellation. Noise-cancelling microphones pick up ambient noise and cancel it with an equal, but opposite, audio signal. You can activate ANC using the multi-function button on the left earbud or the B&W Headphone App. In the app, you can choose between three levels of Adaptive Noise Cancellation:
- High: Recommended for use in consistently noisy environments, such as an airplane cabin.
- Low: The low setting lets you listen to your music in places where you need to be aware of your surrounding.
- Auto: Intelligent sensors determine the amount of noise-cancelling that is needed depending upon your current environment.
Ambient Pass-Through: When you need to stay aware of your surroundings, you can activate and adjust the Ambient Pass-Through feature. Ambient Pass-Through allows in some external noise from your surroundings so you can hear announcements, conversations, or oncoming traffic without taking your headphones off. In the B&W Headphones App, you can enable/disable and adjust the amount of transparency of the Ambient Pass-Through feature.
Wear Sensors: The PI7's feature wear detection sensors in each earbud. The earbuds will enter standby mode when they are removed from the ears. When placed back in the ears, the PI7s will automatically awake and reconnect to the last connected Bluetooth device. During media playback, the PI7 automatically pause the content when either earbud is removed from the ear, and resume when the earbud is replaced. The wear sensor functionality is turned on/off in the B&W Headphone app.
Controls: Each earbud has a touch-sensitive multifunction button. Playback and phone call control can be performed with either earbud with single (play/pause, answer call), double (skip forward, end call), or triple presses (skip backward). Holding the left earbud's multifunction button for 1 second enables/disables Adaptive Noise Cancelling. Holding the right earbud's button for 1 second activates your device's voice assistant.
Drivers: The PI7 wireless headphones feature specially-designed 9.2mm dynamic drivers with Balanced Armatures. The Dual Hybrid Drive units feature individual amplifiers for accurate music reproduction.
Ear Tips: Three pairs of silicone ear tips (Small, Medium, Large) are included to help ensure you get the best fit.
Bowers & Wilkins Headphones App: The Bowers & Wilkins Headphones App (2019 version) is designed to optimize the use of the PI7 headphones with your smartphone or tablet. Opening the app on your device automatically makes pairing extremely easy. The app indicates the battery charge level of your headphones. The app is compatible with iOS (11.0 or later) and Android (7.0 and up) devices. Through the app, you can take advantage of the following features:
- Switch Connections: The app can help you switch from one phone connection to another.
- Noise Cancellation: The app lets you choose between High, Low, or Auto levels of noise cancellation.
- Ambient Pass-Through: You can enable/disable this feature, and adjust the level of transparency.
- Voice Prompts: Voice Prompts can provide spoken confirmation of commands, as well as pairing and battery status. In the app, you can turn the Voice Prompts on or off.
- Power Off Timer: When you have finished listening, you can use the app to customize how long your headphones will stay on before powering off. You can choose from 60, 30, 15, 10, or 5 minutes, or Off.
- Software Updates: Software updates are frequently released to add new features or keep your headphones performing optimally. The app will notify your when an update is available, and allow you to download the update and load it to your headphones.
- Frequency Response: 10Hz to 20kHz
- Distortion (THD): <0.3% (1 kHz/10 mW)
- Ear Bud Dimensions: Width 0.869", Height 0.674", Depth 1.072"
- Weight: 0.55 ounces
2 questions already asked