About the Bowers & Wilkins PX5 Wireless
On-ear version of B&W's most popular headphones
The B&W PX5 Wireless headphones sport a sleek on-ear design and offer top-notch noise cancellation.
On-ear version of B&W's most popular headphones
The Bowers & Wilkins PX5 Wireless are the company's first noise-canceling headphones that fit on the ear. This streamlined design makes them lighter and slightly more portable than their over-ear siblings, the PX7 Wireless headphones. But B&W certainly didn't skimp on the features that have made previous generation PX-series models a popular choice for Crutchfield customers.
The PX5s offer Bluetooth for playing music wirelessly and include adaptive noise-canceling circuitry. Yet they still manage to preserve B&W's legendary reputation for performance. When all the noise and fuss around you disappear, you're left with pristine, powerful sound.
Snug, secure on-ear fit
As I write this, I've only had the chance to put these on my head to see how they feel. I haven't auditioned them for performance — but will soon. They have a form-fitting design, similar to the previous generation PX over-ear headphones.
I much prefer the softer earcups on the PX5 Wireless. They provide a nice amount of cushioning. I'll be honest, I thought the original PX Wireless headphones were a little too tight, but I have a larger head. Several of my coworkers prefer the snug fit, however, because it helps keep the headphones from slipping off as you move around.
The latest and greatest in wireless audio
Music plays wirelessly from your phone via Bluetooth 5.0 — the strongest, most reliable Bluetooth yet. The PX5s and PX7s are also the first group of headphones to feature aptX® Adaptive technology. This versatile wireless audio codec automatically detects if you're in an area with competing Bluetooth signals, and adjusts accordingly. In those crowded areas, it will optimize reliability over sound quality.
In places with no competing wireless signals, it will better preserve the audio quality with compatible phones. The aptX Adaptive technology can also sense when you're watching a video on, say, Netflix or YouTube, and keep latency low. So the audio and video should be better synced up.
Tough and attractive for the frequent traveler
On-the-go headphones usually land in one of two camps: durable or stylish. B&W accomplishes both here. The PX5s sport a woven carbon fiber frame that is lightweight and strong, yet sculpted and elegant. They look and feel smooth at every angle.
Noise cancellation you can customize
These headphones boast a 25 hour battery life with noise cancellation, so they should last most trips — and certainly most commutes. And B&W's specially designed noise-canceling circuitry is super-flexible. A dedicated button on the side lets you scroll through different levels of noise canceling.
When you hold that button for two seconds, "ambient pass-through" mode is activated. This uses the headphones' built-in mics to allow in external sounds. That comes in handy if someone quickly needs your attention. (Another nifty touch: the headphones will automatically pause your music when you remove or lift an earcup. Then they'll resume playing when you put them back on.)
- on-ear headphones with closed back design to help block out noise
- precisely angled 35mm drivers offer rich, detailed sound
- engineered by the team responsible for the company's flagship 800 D3 loudspeaker
- Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity for wireless music listening and phone calls
- aptX® Adaptive automatically adjusts to prioritize audio quality or low latency, depending on the listening situation
- aptX HD and AAC decoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- built-in smart sensor pauses music when you remove headphones
- made of high-grade materials like woven carbon fiber and ballistic nylon
Adaptive noise cancellation:
- digital hybrid noise-canceling circuitry to minimize external noise
- designed to preserve listening experience by not interfering with audio quality
- noise cancellation level is manually adjustable
- tactile earcup button for toggling through levels of noise cancellation
- press button quickly to toggle through, and hold button for two seconds to activate "ambient pass-through"
- "ambient pass-through" turns off noise-canceling so you can hear your surroundings
- Bowers & Wilkins app lets you manually adjust noise cancellation and sound
- free download for Apple® and Android™ devices
General info and specs:
- built-in rechargeable battery offers up to 25 hours of wireless use with noise cancellation
- 15 minute quick charge provides enough power for 5 hours of listening
- snug, secure fit with soft earpads and headband padding
- earcup controls let you answer calls, play/pause music, and skip songs
- built-in microphone for receiving calls
- includes detachable 3.5mm miniplug cable for optional wired listening
- USB type-C charging cable
- quilted carrying case included
- frequency response: 10-30,000 Hz
- impedance: 20 ohms (wired)
- weight: 9 ounces
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # FP41173
What's in the box:
- Wireless on-ear headphones (Space Gray)
- 43" Audio cable (straight 3.5mm plugs on both ends)
- 47" USB charging cable (Type A USB on one end and USB-C on other end)
- Storage case
- Safety & Warranty booklet
- Quick Start Guide
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Bowers & Wilkins PX5 Wireless
Features & specs
|Earcup Width x Height||2.617" x 3.165"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||Yes|
|Voice Assistant Access|
|Frequency Response||10-30k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) PX5 wireless on-ear headphones feature classic styling and the latest technology and convenience features. They feature Bluetooth version 5.0 with aptX Adaptive for superior audio. The PX5 wireless headphones come with a 43" audio cable to use when you can't use Bluetooth, a 47" USB-C charging/audio cable, and a storage case.
Bluetooth 5.0: The PX5 wireless headphones feature Bluetooth 5.0 with aptX Adaptive for high fidelity, 24-bit wireless streaming audio from your smartphone, tablet, or computer. aptX Adaptive automatically adjusts to provide optimum audio quality or latency depending on what content is being played on the device. It is also backwards compatible with aptX and aptX HD enabled devices. SBC (Low Complexity Sub-band Coding) and AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) also assure high quality audio. The headphones support the following Bluetooth platforms: A2DP (v1.3.1), AVRCP (v1.6.1), HFP (v1.7.1), HSP (v1.2) and BLE GATT (Generic Attribute Profile).
Adaptive Noise Cancelling (ANC): The B&W PX5 headphones offer Adaptive Noise Cancelling (ANC) to block out ambient sound so you can concentrate on your music. Four microphones (2 inside and 2 outside the earcups) are utilized for ANC. In the Auto Mode, the headphones use intelligent sensing that adapts the noise cancellation and tuning to fit your surroundings. You can also switch to Low ANC for situations where you need to be aware of your surroundings, or High ANC for consistent environmental noise, such as on an airliner. You can control the ANC using the button on the left ear cup, or in the B&W Headphones app.
B&W Headphones App: The B&W Headphones App (2019 version) is designed to optimize the use of the PX5 headphones with your smartphone or tablet. Opening the app on your device automatically makes pairing extremely easy. The app indicates the battery charge level of your headphones and the current firmware version at a glance. The app is compatible with iOS (11.0 or later) and Android (5.0 and up) devices. The Headphones app offers the following features:
- Environmental Filter: The Environmental Filter lets you select from three listening modes: Office, City, and Flight.
- Ambient Pass-through: The Ambient Pass-through feature lets you adjust the noise-cancelling technology to allow some of the ambient sound to mix in with your audio signal so you can carry on a conversation or hear an announcement without removing the headphones. The Ambient Pass-through feature's level can be set using the app.
- Wear Sensor: The Wear Sensor automatically pauses your music when you lift off either side of the headphones, and restarts it when you put them back on. You can turn the Wear Sensor on/off in the app, and adjust its sensitivity.
- Standby Timer: When you're finished listening, the Standby Timer automatically enters standby mode after a preset number of minutes to save battery power. In the app, you can set the Standby Timer to 5, 10, 15, 30, or 60 minutes.
- Software Updates: Any software updates from the manufacturer can be uploaded to the headphones from the app.
Note: The B&W PX app is not compatible with the PX5 headphones.
Rechargeable Battery: The headphones are powered by a rechargeable Lithium Polymer battery that is charged via USB with the supplied USB-C cable. With a 3 hour full charge, the PX5 Wireless headphones offer up to 25 hours of battery life with ANC. A 15-minute Quick Charge provides a solid 5 hours of playback. Battery life is extended when using the wired connection (Bluetooth off), or when ANC is turned off.
Ear Cups and Drivers: The PX5 wireless headphones feature custom designed 35mm dynamic drivers that are angled inside the ear cup for a realistic soundstage. The soft leather memory foam cushions help to block most ambient noise and keep your music inside the ear cups.
Folding Design: The ear cups swivel so you can fold them flat for compact storage in the supplied soft padded pouch.
Cables: The B&W PX5 wireless headphones can be used with a wired connection when you are unable to listen wirelessly. The Adaptive Noise Cancelling feature is still active, even when in passive mode. A 43" mini-jack (3.5mm) audio cable and a 47" USB-C cable are included.
Note: When using the wired connection, you still need to power on the headphones. The volume, answer/end call, and play/pause buttons on the headphones do not function.
On-board Controls: The on-board controls on the back of the right ear cup let you raise and lower the volume, and control the music playback (play, pause, next track, previous track) while you're in active mode (using Bluetooth). The controls will not operate when used in passive (wired) mode. The PX5 Wireless headphones also have two microphones for clear phone conversations.
- Frequency Response: 10Hz to 30kHz
- Distortion (THD): <0.3% (1 kHz/10 mW)
- Weight: 9.3 ounces (without cable)
1 question already asked