About the Bowers & Wilkins PX Wireless
The first noise-canceling Bluetooth headphones from B&W
The Bowers & Wilkins wireless headphones are built with high-grade materials and offer top-notch noise cancellation.
The first noise-canceling Bluetooth headphones from B&W
Bowers & Wilkins speakers have been world-renowned for over 50 years. So I'm not surprised at how quickly the British audio experts have made a name for themselves in the headphone world. They make some of the best-reviewed headphones we carry. The B&W PX wireless headphones are the company's first noise-cancellers, and maybe their most ambitious 'phones yet.
Packed with features, low on compromise
Consider everything these headphones can do. The PXs: (A) offer Bluetooth for playing music wirelessly, (B) include adaptive noise-canceling circuitry, and (C) still manage to preserve B&W's legendary reputation for performance. When all the noise and fuss around you disappear, you're left with pristine, powerful sound.
Tough and attractive for the frequent traveler
On-the-go headphones usually land in one of two camps: durable or stylish. When B&W designed the PX 'phones, they figured out a way to accomplish both. Their aluminum frame makes them strong and light, yet sculpted and elegant. They look and feel smooth at every angle.
Here's a really nifty touch: the headphones will automatically pause your music when you remove or lift an earcup. Then they'll resume playing when you put them back on. That's really convenient if someone quickly needs your attention — like a flight attendant taking drink orders.
Noise cancellation you can customize
These headphones boast a 22 hour battery life with noise cancellation, so they should last most trips — and certainly most commutes. And B&W's specially designed noise-canceling circuitry is super-flexible. Download the Bowers & Wilkins smartphone app, and you can choose the amount of noise cancellation based on your surroundings.
The filters are named Flight, City, and Office. I put them to an extreme test.
Testing the B&W PX headphones here at headquarters
So this all sounds good on paper, but how does B&W's noise cancellation hold up in the real world? I tried it in one of the loudest, most chaotic places we have at Crutchfield HQ — the photo studio right before a catalog deadline.
Tunes from the '80s blared on the stereo. Photo props got dragged around and slammed into place. All the while, our art designers and photographers yelled back and forth, eager to get the right shot.
When I first put on the PX headphones, the noise-canceling circuitry hushed the room to a manageable murmur. Then I pushed play on a Spotify "Relaxation" playlist, and the only hectic part that remained, for me, was the flashing of the camera and the sight of people pacing back and forth.
In a peaceful place
I stood in the corner so I could stay out of the way. A bookshelf speaker, mounted about 16 inches above my head, pumped out tunes. While I could feel the woofer's pulse, I couldn't make out what was playing over my own music in the headphones.
I only realized how loud the speaker was playing when I lifted the right earcup, and the headphones automatically turned off. The loud chorus to "Love Stinks" by the J. Geils Band gave me a jolt.
I was surprised how calm the quieting of external noise made me feel — even as everyone moved around frantically. I was under the same work deadline as each person in that room, yet somehow listening to the PX headphones removed the stress of the situation. They put me in a tranquil, above-the-fray mindset.
- over-ear headphones with closed back design to help block out noise
- precisely angled 40mm drivers offer rich, detailed sound
- Bluetooth connectivity for wireless music listening and phone calls with compatible smartphone
- aptX® HD and AAC decoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- built-in smart sensor pauses music when you remove headphones
- made of high-grade materials like aluminum, leather, and ballistic nylon
Adaptive Noise Cancellation:
- digital hybrid noise-canceling circuitry to minimize external noise
- designed to preserve listening experience by not interfering with audio quality
- Bowers & Wilkins app lets you manually adjust noise cancellation to the level of external sound
- free download for Apple® and Android™ devices
- three noise-canceling filters: Flight, City, and Office
General Info and Specs:
- built-in rechargeable battery
- wireless use: 22 hours with noise cancellation, 29 hours without
- wired use: 33 hours with noise cancellation, 50 hours without
- includes detachable miniplug cable for optional wired listening
- leather earpads and padded headband for exceptional comfort
- snug, secure fit
- earcup controls let you answer calls, play/pause music, and skip songs
- built-in microphone for receiving calls
- USB type-C charging cable
- quilted carrying case included
- frequency response: 10-30,000 Hz
- impedance: 22 ohms (wired)
- weight: 11.3 ounces
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # FP39683
What's in the box:
- Over-ear wireless headphones (space grey)
- 51" Audio cable (straight 3.5mm plugs on both ends)
- 48" USB charging cable (Type A USB on one end and a USB-C plug on other end)
- Padded storage pouch
- Quick Start Guide
- Registration and app info sheet
- Safety Instructions and Warranty
Bowers & Wilkins PX Wireless reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Bowers & Wilkins PX Wireless
Features & specs
|Earcup Width x Height||2.908" x 3.776"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||Yes|
|Frequency Response||10-20k Hz|
|1/4-inch Adapter Included||No|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) PX wireless over-ear headphones feature classic styling and the latest technology and convenience features. They feature Bluetooth version 4.1 with aptX-HD for superior audio. The PX wireless headphones come with a 51" audio cable to use when you can't use Bluetooth, a USB-C charging/audio cable, and a quilted storage case with magnetic closures.
Bluetooth 4.1: The PX wireless headphones uses Bluetooth 4.1 with aptX-HD for high fidelity, 24-bit wireless streaming audio from your smartphone, tablet, or computer. SBC (Low Complexity Sub-band Coding) and AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) also assure high quality audio. The headphones support the following Bluetooth platforms: A2DP (v1.3), AVRCP (v1.6), HFP (v1.6), HSP (v1.2), GAP, SDAP, and DIP.
Adaptive Noise Cancelling (ANC): The B&W PX headphones offer Adaptive Noise Cancelling (ANC) to block out ambient sound so you can concentrate on your music. Four microphones (2 inside and 2 outside the earcups) are utilized for ANC. Using the Bowers & Wilkins Headphones App, you can select the Environmental Filter that suits your listening situation: Office, City, or Flight. The Voice Pass-Through feature lets you adjust the volume of sounds in the range of the human voice.
B&W Headphones App: The Bowers & Wilkins Headphones App is designed to optimize the use of the PX headphones with your smartphone or tablet. Opening the app on your device automatically makes pairing extremely easy. In addition to the Environmental Filter, the app lets you turn on the Wear Sensor and adjust its sensitivity. The app indicates the battery charge level of your headphones and the current firmware version at a glance. Any firmware updates from the manufacturer can be uploaded to the headphones from the app. The app is compatible with iOS (10.0 or later) and Android (5.0 and up) devices.
Intuitive Self-controls: Proximity sensors placed around the ear cups allow the PX headphones to perform specific actions automatically. The headphones enter standby mode and disconnect from any connected Bluetooth devices two minutes after you remove them from your head. They automatically wake from standby and connect to the last connected Bluetooth device when you put them on. When you lift an earcup or place the headphones around your neck, your music pauses. Playback resumes when you place them back on your head.
Rechargeable Battery: The headphones are powered by a rechargeable Lithium Polymer battery that is charged via USB with the supplied USB-C cable. With a 3 hour full charge, the PX Wireless offers the following battery life:
- Bluetooth + ANC: Up to 22 hours
- Bluetooth (no ANC): Up to 29 hours
- Wired + ANC: Up to 33 hours
- Wired (no ANC): Up to 50 hours
Ear Cups and Drivers: The PX wireless headphones feature reference-quality 40mm dynamic drivers that are angled inside the ear cup for a realistic soundstage. The over-ear design and soft leather memory foam cushions help to block most ambient noise and keep your music inside the ear cups. The removable magnetic ear pads allow you to replace the pads if they gets damaged.
Folding Design: The ear cups swivel so you can fold them flat for compact storage in the supplied soft padded pouch.
Cables: The B&W PX wireless headphones can be used with a wired connection, if desired. Wired connections are useful on an aircraft or when listening to music on a traditional stereo system or computer. You can still utilize ANC when using a wired connection to shut out ambient noise. A 51" mini-jack (3.5mm) audio cable and a 48" USB-C cable are included.
Note: When using a wired connection, you still need to power on the headphones, and the volume, answer/end call, and play/pause buttons do not function.
On-board Controls: The on-board controls on the back of the right ear cup let you raise and lower the volume, and control the music playback (play, pause, next track, previous track) while you're in active mode (using Bluetooth). The controls will not operate when used in passive (wired) mode. The PX Wireless headphones also have two microphones for clear phone conversations.
- Frequency Response: 10Hz to 20kHz
- Impedance: 22 ohms (passive)
- Distortion (THD): <0.3% (1 kHz/10 mW)
- Sensitivity: 111 dB/V at 1 kHz
- Weight: 11.9 ounces (12.3 ounces with cable)
The Bowers & Wilkins PX Wireless replaces these items
- Bluetooth with aptX® and AAC decoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- solid aluminum frame and leather earpads provide an elegant look and feel
- rich, full-bodied sound
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
5 questions already asked