About the Bowers & Wilkins Z2
The Bowers and Wilkins Z2 high-performance audio system has a built-in Lightning connector so you can dock your compatible iPhone®, iPod touch®, or iPod nano® for easy charging and music playback. The Z2 is compatible with Apple AirPlay, so you can wirelessly stream music from an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch — even your computer through iTunes®.
Advanced audio design
The Z2 features high-quality electronics and drivers to deliver spacious, detailed sound. Its two full-range drivers are framed by baskets designed to minimize rear sound reflection and coloration. Each driver has its own individual amplifier to ensure greater accuracy and reduce cross-interference.
The system's rear-firing Flowport™ passively reinforces low frequencies. The dimpled surface of its opening reduces air turbulence for tight, accurate bass. (It's the same effect that helps golf balls fly farther.)
Bowers & Wilkins' proprietary Digital Signal Processing circuitry continually analyzes and adjusts the audio signal. Even at maximum volume, your music sounds balanced and clear. The AC adapter has been designed specifically for low noise levels, letting the Z2's electronics operate more efficiently and produce cleaner sound.
The AirPlay advantage
AirPlay uses your Wi-Fi® network to connect the Z2 speaker system wirelessly to your iTunes® library on your computer.You can send music to multiple Z2s (or other AirPlay-compatible systems like the Zeppelin Air) to simultaneously play your music in different locations throughout your home. And you can control the volume levels of each connected player individually or jointly through your computer's iTunes program.
With your Apple portable — iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch — you have even more options. Stream music wirelessly directly from your device to the Z2. Or use your portable as a remote to control your computer's iTunes library.— download Apple's Remote app, and then you can select songs and playlists or adjust the volume level of the system on the fly.
I was impressed with the Z2's quality and quantity of sound right out of the box. Bass output was hefty without being overbearing, mids sounded quite natural, and the high-frequencies were detailed and crisp.
— David Brown, Crutchfield A/V Writer
- dock compatible with most iPhone and iPod® models with a Lightning connector
- AirPlay lets you stream music via Wi-Fi® from your iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, or computer
- automatically charges player while docked
- two full-range drivers
- frequency response: 50-20,000 Hz
- Flowport bass port reinforces low frequencies
- stereo minijack input for portable devices
- Ethernet port for a wired connection to a home network
- AC power adapter
- remote control
- 12-5/8"W x 7-1/8"H x 5-1/16"D
- weight: 5.5 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # FP35572
What's in the box:
- Lightning-connector iPod dock speaker (w/ AirPlay)
- AC power adapter (with attached 6.5' DC cord)
- 39" AC power cord
- Remote control (CR2032 3V battery)
- Bowers & Wilkins Brochure
- AirPlay Setup Booklet
- Safety Instructions/Warranty
- Online Product Registration card
More details on the Bowers & Wilkins Z2
High Quality Audio Design: The Bowers & Wilkins Z2 music system is equipped with a Class-D amplifier and digital signal processing (DSP). The Class-D amplifier is rated at 20-watts x 2 channels. The B&W Z2 features two 3.5" full-range drivers for quality sound. The music system's enclosure is made from glass-filled ABS and feature's Bowers & Wilkins proprietary Flowport technology. The Bowers & Wilkins Flowport technology dramatically improves the system's overall bass performance. The unit's rear-firing port is dimpled to improve air flow, reducing turbulence. The result is less chuffing noise and less compression at high levels; which means better bass no matter how loud you like your music.
Lightning Connector Dock: The Bowers & Wilkins Z2 is equipped with a Lightning connector dock which supports Apple's new portable devices with Lightning connector; such as the iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), iPhone 5/5C/5S, and iPhone 6. The iPhone 6+, iPad 4 and iPad mini are too large to fit into the dock opening. The Z2 supports audio playback, remote control (basic playback functions only), and charging of your docked compatible Apple device.
AirPlay Technology: Apple's AirPlay technology allows music, downloaded to iTunes, to be streamed wirelessly from your Mac or PC to the B&W Z2. You can even bypass the computer entirely, and stream high-quality audio directly from your Apple iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad (all without the need to dock the device). The Z2 supports Apple Lossless and MP3 audio file transfer. The B&W Z2 and your AirPlay audio source must be connected to the same wireless network via a WiFi (802.11g/n) router or hub.
- iTunes Streaming: The B&W Z2 is able to wirelessly play audio from your computer's iTunes account via WiFi or Ethernet connection using AirPlay streaming technology. When connected to the same network as a computer running iTunes, the Z2 can appear as an output option in the pop-up menu at the bottom of the iTunes window. You can then browse your iTunes collection on your computer and stream music to the Z2. To use the AirPlay feature you need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.2.2 or later) connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network as the Z2.
- Apple Device Streaming: AirPlay also lets you wirelessly stream your iTunes music and a variety of music apps (such as Pandora, iHeartRadio, etc) stored on your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to the Z2. So there's no need to dock your Apple device. The Bowers & Wilkins Z2's AirPlay feature works with iPod touch (3rd/4th/5th gen), iPhone (3GS/4/4S/5), iPad (1/2/3/4), and iPad mini with iOS 4.3.3 or later; connected to the same wireless network.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Z2 has been certified "Made for iPod" and "Works with iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 5/24/2013):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Connection Type||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Lightning Connector||AirPlay||Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Simple Setup: In order to connect your Apple device to the B&W Z2 music system, you will need to download the Bowers & Wilkins AirPlay Setup App to your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad (running iOS 4.3.3 or later). The Bowers & Wilkins AirPlay Setup App is also available to download for your Mac computer or Windows PC from the Bowers & Wilkins Support Site, allowing you to set up and manage the wireless music system from your computer.
Auxiliary Input: The rear-panel 3.5mm auxiliary input accepts an analog stereo signal from any portable audio device with a headphone jack output.
Remote Control: The supplied wireless IR remote offers Power, Volume Up/Down, and Playback controls. Playback controls include Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track. The remote is powered by a single CR2032 3V lithium battery (pre-installed).
AC Power: The Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) Z2 operates off of standard household AC current, using the supplied AC power adapter. The Z2 will automatically enter Sleep mode if left inactive for more than 30 minutes.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
4 questions already asked