About the Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin
Iconic look, impressive sound
Iconic look, impressive sound
Bowers & Wilkins first introduced the Zeppelin in 2007. In many ways, it defined a whole new category of visually appealing high-fidelity speakers. Each successive generation incorporated new technologies, improving versatility and performance. The current Zeppelin continues that trend.
This Zeppelin features 24-bit/96kHz streaming audio resolution for exceptionally clear and accurate sound. Enjoy easy wireless access to high-resolution music files on your network and high-res streaming services like TIDAL, HiFi, and Qobuz.
Use your voice
Amazon Alexa voice control is also built into the Zeppelin. Use your voice to control the speaker, call up playlists and songs, and more. You can get the weather, ask for news updates, and access many other Amazon Alexa functions.
Advanced speaker design
The Zeppelin builds on the success of previous Zeppelin wireless speakers. Its oval shape is both aesthetically beautiful and functional. It houses five drivers that disperse sound evenly and precisely. Two 1" Double Dome tweeters and two 3-1/2" FSTT midrange drivers deliver pristine, accurate stereo sound. A 6" subwoofer mounted in the center fills out the bass frequencies. Each driver is powered by its own amplifier. This minimizes cross-talk and optimizes responsiveness for clear, natural sound.
With the optional compatible wall bracket, you can mount your Zeppelin to the wall for even greater room coverage.
My listening impressions
I was impressed — but not surprised — by the robust sound of this speaker. I've auditioned previous generations of the Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin, so I was expecting to hear spacious, detailed sound. This newest version delivered that, and more.
The speaker provided an enveloping soundfield that remained seamless as I moved around my listening room. I especially liked the realistic reproduction of acoustic instruments. Whether it was bluegrass, traditional world music, or classical, the quality was consistent. The instruments had a clear, natural sound. The bass was noticeable — appropriate, but not overpowering.
The Zeppelin also did well with electronic instruments. For the rock, rap, and dubstep tracks I played, the music sounded tight and crisp. The bass was hard-hitting but well-balanced. Even with dubstep selections, the bass sounded a little cleaner than I expected.
One more thing. Regardless of the source, the Zeppelin sounded good. But with the high-resolution tracks I streamed, it sounded exceptionally good. If you've invested in a hi-fi streaming service, this speaker will let you hear what you paid for.
The Zeppelin features Bluetooth for playing audio sources from a wide variety of apps on your mobile device. Built-in aptX® Adaptive technology provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices.
Spotify Connect is built-in, too, so you can easily stream from this popular service if you have a subscription.
Built-in Apple AirPlay 2 technology lets you play audio directly from your iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac® computer through the Zeppelin. That includes soundtracks from YouTube® videos and Netflix movies
Wireless control in the palm of your hand
Download the free Bowers & Wilkins Music mobile app to bring together a wide range of music services in a single platform. You can play Qobuz, SoundCloud, TIDAL, Deezer Hi-Fi, NTS Radio, and TuneIn, all within the same app. (Subscriptions may be required.)
Tap on the little heart icon for the songs you like. The app remembers your preferences and applies them across the various streaming services. So, for instance, your "like" in Qobuz can help TIDAL offer better recommendations. And the Music app also gives you exclusive access to Bowers & Wilkins' own curated playlists for even more music options.
A rich history of audio excellence
Founded in England in the 1960s, Bowers & Wilkins is known worldwide for its innovative hi-fi speaker designs and its premium headphones. Crutchfield is proud to offer a diverse selection of products from this legendary audio brand.
- built-in Bluetooth
- aptX Adaptive provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- Apple AirPlay 2 for streaming music from an iPhone, iPod, or compatible Mac computer
- Spotify Connect built-in (subscription required)
- 5 built-in drivers
- two 1" Double Dome tweeters
- two 3-1/2" FST (Fixed Suspension Transducer) midrange woofers
- one 6" subwoofer
- total system power: 240 watts
Bowers & Wilkins Music app:
- free download from Apple® App Store and Google Play
- up to 24-bit/96kHz streaming audio resolution
- supports Qobuz, SoundCloud, TIDAL, TuneIn, Deezer Hi-Fi, and NTS Radio
- learns song preferences and applies them across platforms
- access to exclusive Bowers & Wilkins curated playlists
- displays current song and artist information
- control volume and EQ settings
Amazon Alexa functions:
- Amazon Alexa app control
- free download from Apple App Store and Google Play
- volume, play, pause, skip, and repeat functions
- access to Alexa skills such as weather reports, smart home commands, and more
- top-mounted control buttons
- requires AC power, cable included
- 25-3/4"W x 8-1/4"H x 8-1/8"D
- weight: 14.3 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # FP41947
What's in the box:
Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin owner's manual
- Wireless powered speaker
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Quick Start Guide
- Safety & Warranty booklet
Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin
Features & specs
|USB Port||Service only|
|Wi-Fi Bands||2.4 GHz|
|Tweeter Size (Inches)||1|
|Tweeter Material||Not given|
|Midrange Size (Inches)||3.5|
|Woofer Size (Inches)||6|
|Woofer Type||Not given|
|Watts RMS (Continuous)||240|
|Watts Maximum (Peak)||Not given|
|Max. Digital Audio Bit Depth||24-bit|
|Max. Digital Audio Sample Rate||96 kHz|
|Apple AirPlay 2||Yes|
|Bose Home Speaker||No|
|Apple Music||AirPlay 2|
|Control by app||Apple iOS, Android|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
High-Resolution Stereo Sound: The Zeppelin uses a 3-way driver design with proprietary Bowers & Wilkins loudspeaker technology for high-resolution stereo sound. The B&W Zeppelin wireless speaker features two 1" double-dome tweeters, two 3.5" FST midrange drivers, and one 6" subwoofer powered by a 240 watt Class D amplifier for dynamic, full-range, room-filling stereo sound.
- DSP with Dynamic EQ: Built-in Digital Signal Processing (DSP) with Dynamic EQ uses double-precision processing and in-house algorithms that optimizes speaker control for optimized, distortion-free sound performance at any volume level.
- 24-bit/96kHz DAC: The Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin employs a 24-bit/96kHz DAC (digital-to-analog converter) for support of wireless Hi-Res music streaming from select online music services.
Wireless Network Connectivity: The Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin speaker system features built-in 2.4GHz WiFi (802.11n) for a wireless connection to your network router. By connecting the speaker system to your network, you gain access to select online music services and internet radio, as well as Amazon Alexa, AirPlay 2, and Spotify Connect. Use the Music Bowers & Wilkins app (for Apple iOS 12.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) to connect the Zeppelin speaker to your WiFi network.
Note: The Zeppelin speaker does not have an Ethernet jack for a wired network connection.
Music Bowers & Wilkins App: The Music Bowers & Wilkins App (for Apple iOS 12.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) provides simple setup and control of the Zeppelin speaker system from your compatible smartphone or tablet device. The app gives you access to select online music services and internet radio, as well a basic playback control functions - such as Volume/Up Down, Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, and Audio Settings.
- Online Music Apps: Within the Music Bowers & Wilkins App (for Apple iOS 12.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) you can access and select online music services; including Deezer Hi-Fi, Tidal, Tune In, Qobuz, NTS, Soundcloud, Dash, and more. You'll also have browsing and playback control, plus song/artist/album information (including album art) from the Music B&W app for the listed online music services.
- Recommended & Curated Content: The Music Bowers & Wilkins app even gives you cross-service personalized track and playlist recommendations, plus exclusive access to curated Bowers & Wilkins content. The personalized recommendation feature become smarter and more accurate the more you use them. Use the "HEART" symbol to "love" music that you particularly enjoy and the B&W music app will begin to learn your preferences, which in turn helps it to tailor its recommendations to your tastes as you listen.
Alexa Built-In: The B&W Zeppelin features an intergrated 4 microphone array and offers Alexa built-in, so you can just use your voice to ask the speaker to play your favorite song from compatible Alexa online music services and internet radio. You'll be able to use Alexa and your voice to access and control online music services such as Amazon Music, Pandora, SiriusXM, iHeartradio, Tune In, and more (Tidal, Qobuz, NTS, Soundcloud, and Dash are not supported by Alexa). You'll need to setup up Alexa voice using the Music Bowers & Wilkins app (for Apple iOS 12.0+ and Android OS 5.0+), plus the Alexa app (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 6.0+).
- Music Control: You can ask Alexa to playback a compatible online music service, a specific artist, or music genre on the B&W Zeppelin. Alexa can also be used to control basic playback functions such as Volume Up/Down, Play/Stop, Pause/Resume, Previous/Next Track, and Fast Forward/Rewind. You can even ask Alexa "what's playing" to be told the song title and artist. In addition, you can create a multiroom audio distribution system with other Alexa-enabled speakers and devices.
- Other Control: The Zeppelin's Alexa built-in feature can also be used similar to an Amazon Echo device, allowing you to ask about weather forecasts, news updates, sports scores, and more. You can also control your Alexa-enabled smarthome devices through the Zepplin's Alexa built-in feature.
- Only music services that have been certified to work with Bowers & Wilkins are supported; other services may appear but will not be supported. Alexa playback control is music service dependent (the music service must support the same features).
- The Zeppelin is not compatible with all Amazon Alexa features, skills, and commands.Click here for a full updated list of Amazon Alexa Bowers & Wilkins Skills.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the B&W Zeppelin speaker system from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android). Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
Apple AirPlay 2: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any sound from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the B&W Zeppelin speaker system and other compatible AirPlay 2 components throughout your home. You will also be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music on the Zeppelin speaker. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can even play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin.
Bluetooth 5.0: The Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin features built-in Bluetooth 5.0 with support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP) and control (AVRCP). You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, tablet, desktop computer, or laptop to the Zeppelin speaker system. You are able to control basic playback functions like Volume Up/Down, Play/Pause, & Previous/Next Track from the Zeppelin. Advanced navigation and song/artist information will still be done from your Bluetooth-enabled device.
- Supported Codecs:In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the Zeppelin offers support for AAC & aptX Adaptive codecs for higher quality audio streaming from select Apple & Android devices. By supporting AAC, the Zeppelin offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad. aptX Adaptive provides even better sound quality with lossless, CD-quality streaming for compatible aptX-compatible Android smartphones or Mac computers, by dynamic auto-adjusting to your wireless streaming content.
- Multi-Device Pairing: You can pair up to 8 devices with the Zeppelin speaker system, but only one device can be active at a time. The Zeppelin will automatically connect to the last connected audio source device if the two are brought within range (up to 33') of one another, even if another paired device is also within range.
- Auto-Wake: The Zeppelin will wake from standby mode when a Bluetooth connection is made, but will not switch from an active stream to the Bluetooth audio device until an audio stream is initiated on the Bluetooth audio device.
Note: The B&W Zeppelin does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making and answering phone calls.
Wireless Multiroom Audio: The Zeppelin can be incorporated in a wireless multiroom high-resolution system, along with other Zeppelin speaker or with Bowers & Wilkins Formation Series speakers (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) using the Music Bowers & Wilkins App (for Apple iOS 12.0+ and Android OS 5.0+). The Zeppelin and Formation Series products wirelessly connect together through a proprietary mesh network, independently from your WiFi network, to ensure 24-bit/96kHz high-resolution audio performance throughout your home. Each Zeppelin and Formation Series component dynamically chooses the optimal path to route audio-data between products, in order to ensure a robust streaming experience with near perfect audio synchronization (1 microsecond sync between speakers).
- Number of Speaker Groups: You can have up to a combination of six Zeppelin or Bowers & Wilkins Formation Series speakers on one wireless mesh network. You can group Zeppelin and Formation speakers together and play the same audio source through each speaker or have different audio sources playing through each speaker.
- Compatible Sources: Deezer Hi-Fi, Tidal, Tune In, Qobuz, NTS, Soundcloud, Dash, Spotify Connect, and Bluetooth audio can all be utilized for multiroom audio distribution. AirPlay 2 and Alexa are not compatible because they are independent and alternative multiroom audio platforms.
Top-Panel Controls: On the top of Zeppelin speaker are push-button controls that operate Power On/Off, Volume Up/Down, Play/Pause, and Previous/Next Track.
Mounting Options: The B&W Zeppelin speaker can simply be placed on a flat table-top surface, like a shelf, desk, stand, or end-table. The speaker can also be wall mounted using Bowers & Wilkins' proprietary wall-mount bracket (sold separately).
AC Power with Auto On/Off: The B&W Zeppelin comes with a detachable 6.5' AC power cord that plugs into the back of the speaker and into an AC wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). The Zeppelin speaker system will automatically turn on when it senses an audio source signal. The wireless speaker system will automatically power off after twenty minutes of no audio signal and no operation.
Note: The Zeppelin speaker system is not battery powered.
Firmware/Software Updates: Software and firmware updates are done through the Music Bowers & Wilkins app (for Apple iOS 12.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) via a network connection. You can click here for the latest firmware and software updates.
5 questions already asked
Audio quality is outstanding. Responsive bass, pleasant midrange. Once setup is done, devices connects easily. Music from Tidal sounds better with the B&W App.
Ben from Euless, TX