About the Linksys MR9600
Broad coverage with blazing-fast Wi-Fi 6
Broad coverage with blazing-fast Wi-Fi 6
The Linksys MR9600 router offers up to 3,000 square feet of strong, fast Wi-Fi 6 coverage all by itself, which can be plenty for a medium-sized to large home or business. It can also serve as the hub in an expandable mesh network. If your network has dead spots, or you move to a larger space, you can add optional Linksys nodes to grow your network.
Wi-Fi 6 offers speeds of up to 1.8 Gbps, up to four times faster than the earlier Wi-Fi 5 protocol can deliver. And this system helps you use your bandwidth intelligently, too. Beamforming boosts speed, reliability and range of your Wi-Fi connection. Other special features facilitate simultaneous data transmission to multiple connected devices.
Easy app setup and control
The free Linksys app helps you set up, monitor, and control your new router. You'll have access to some very useful advanced features:
- parental controls let you restrict access, control usage, and block specific devices from accessing the internet
- prioritize devices that need the most speed — for instance, a 4K TV with built-in streaming apps
- create a separate, password-protected Wi-Fi network for guests
- test and monitor the speed of your internet connection
- subscription may be required for some app features
You'll be able to customize your network, so it does what you want, all the time.
It's easy to forget about the option of making direct connections to your router. The MR9600 provides four Ethernet LAN (local area network) ports so you can directly connect devices like desktop computers or home automation control hubs, ensuring top speed through the wired connection. There are also two USB 3.0 ports so you can plug in external drives and quickly share stored videos, pictures, and music files to your network.
- Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) wireless router covers up to 3,000 square feet with strong, fast Wi-Fi
- backward-compatible with older devices and earlier Wi-Fi standards
- simultaneous dual-band 2.4 & 5GHz performance (1147 Mbps + 4804 Mbps)
- four high-powered radio amplifiers with external antennas broadcast strong Wi-Fi signal
- super-fast 1.8 GHz quad-core processor
- Intelligent Mesh™ technology lets you expand your network by adding optional Linksys nodes
- 4-stream MU-MIMO technology lets router communicate with multiple devices simultaneously
- beamforming technology directs wireless signal where it's needed most
- OFDMA allows more devices to connect without slowing down your Wi-Fi
- works with Amazon Echo (Alexa)
- free Linksys app offers smart control of your network:
- remote management and monitoring of your home network
- create a separate, password-protected Wi-Fi network for guests
- prioritize devices that need the most speed
- internet speed test lets you quickly check broadband speeds from your service provider
- parental controls restrict access to inappropriate content and block specific devices from accessing the internet
- automatic software updates
- security: WPA3 personal password authentication
- one WAN input for connecting to your modem
- four 10/100/1000 LAN Gigabit Ethernet ports for making wired connections to your devices
- two fast USB 3.0 ports
Dimensions and warranty:
- 11-1/16"W x 2-3/8"H x 6-3/4"D (antennas down)
- weight: 2.07 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MR9600
What's in the box:
- WiFi router
- AC power adapter (attached 59" DC cord)
- 3' Ethernet cable
- Setup Guide
- Regulatory and Warranty Information
Not sure what you need? Learn how modems, routers, and mesh Wi-Fi systems work.
Linksys MR9600 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Linksys MR9600
Features & specs
|Wi-Fi Standard||Wi-Fi 6|
|Wi-Fi bands/total speed||Dual-Band 6.0 Gbps|
|2.4GHz band||1147 Mbps|
|5.2GHz band||4804 Mbps|
|USB 2.0 ports||N/A|
|USB 3.0 ports||2|
Max-Stream MR9600 Mesh WiFi Router: The Linksys Max-Stream MR9600 WiFi 6 router is powered by Intelligent Mesh Technology that covers up to 3,000 square feet and handles up to 40+ devices at speeds up to 6.0 Gbps. Utilizing the latest WiFi 6 technology, all of your device connections will be high quality while also adhering to the latest security standards. If your needs change and you want to grow your network, this future-ready router expands by adding other Linksys Velop Mesh compatible products (sold separately).
Velop Mesh Network Compatible: The Linksys MR9600 is compatible with Velop mesh network products to increase WiFi range over your whole house, business, or office space. The Linksys MR9600 must be the primary node, while the Velop nodes (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) must be added as secondary nodes. The Velop mesh system operates as one network and continuously searches for your connected devices. This ensures a 100% seamless connection as you move throughout your home. A Velop modular WiFi mesh system gives you 100% seamless WiFi without lag or buffering. Velop gives you full-strength WiFi without signal degradation or drop-out.
Note: The MR9600 can only be set up as a primary node in a whole home mesh WiFi system. A primary node must be connected with an ethernet cable to your modem or modem router. Secondary nodes can be connected wirelessly or with ethernet cables. If you are adding the router to an existing Velop whole home mesh WiFi system, factory reset all nodes and add them to the system after the MR9600 is setup and working.
Quad-Core Processor + Amplified Antennas: The Linksys MR9600 utilizes a 1.8GHz Quad-Core Processor for extremely fast data transfer speeds. The MR9600 wireless router also employs four external amplified antennas (non-detachable) that provide powerful four streams of data to multiple devices - ensuring optimal performance & complete coverage of your home. It is recommended to position the external antennas straight up.
Dual-Band WiFi: The Max-Stream MR9600 offers two independent WiFi bands that deliver fast combined speeds of up to 6.0 Gbps for maximum throughput and minium interference. High-bandwidth activities like 8K video streaming are connected to the high-speed 5GHz band, while basic activities like email are placed on the 2.4 GHz band.
- Band 1 (2.4GHz): Optimal speeds up to 1147 Mbps for older Wireless-N & G devices.
- Band 2 (5GHz): Faster speeds up to 4804 Mbps for newer Wireless-AC devices (great for file transfers & video conferencing)
WiFi 6 (802.11ax): WiFi 6 sends and receives multiple streams (4x4) of data simultaneously, providing up to 4x more WiFi capacity to handle every mobile, streaming, gaming, and smart home device on your network. WiFi 6 (802.11ax) is also backwards compatible with previous 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac WiFi standards.
Advanced WiFi Technologies: The Linksys Max-Stream MR9600 WiFi Router incorporates advanced WiFi technologies like MU-MIMO (Multi-User Multiple-Input Multiple-Output), OFDMA (Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiple Access), Beanforming, and BSS (Basic Service Set).
- 4x4 MU-MIMO (Multi-User, Multiple-Input, Multiple-Output): The Max-Stream MR9600 WiFi Router features Next-Gen AC WiFi with MU-MIMO technology, the latest advancement towards uninterrupted, simultaneous WiFi connections. Devices such as 8K TVs, HD streaming media players, tablets, game consoles, and many more use a lot of bandwidth, and with MU-MIMO (Multi-User, Multiple-Input, Multiple-Output) technology, the MR9600 WiFi router sends WiFi to multiple devices at the same time and same speed. Your whole family can play, stream, and work
- OFDMA (Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiple Access): Next-generation OFDMA (orthogonal frequency-division multiple access) increases efficiency in high-density scenarios, delivering high-speed WiFi to multiple devices simultaneously. Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiple Access (OFDMA) enables efficient data scheduling so that more transmissions can be sent at the same time, resulting in an impressive capacity increase in your network.
- Beamforming: The Linksys MR9600 has Beamforming technology on both bands which helps improve the quality of voice, streaming of video and other bandwidth and latency sensitive transmissions. Beamforming technology directs WiFi signals to each of your mobile devices to increase signal strength and coverage. Play video games, listen to music, check emails, shop online, stream HD movies, and more, without having to worry about dropped signals.
- BSS (Basic Service Set): BSS (Basic Service Set) coloring technology eliminates interference from nearby WiFi networks, strengthening your signal.
Gigabit Ethernet Ports: The Linksys MR9600 router is outfitted with five 10/100/1000 (1 WAN / 4 LAN) Gigabit Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology. The WAN port is used to connect your Internet modem, while the LAN ports are used to connect your local network devices. The Gigabit Ethernet ports support wired connections up to 10x faster than standard Ethernet and allows you to easily connect shared storage devices, printers, and other supported peripherals to your network.
Linksys App: With the Linksys App (for Apple iOS 11.4+ and Android OS 6.0+) you can setup, monitor, and manage your home WiFi remotely using your smartphone or tablet. With the Linksys App, you can access your home network from anywhere, any time. Easily tap into your home network to check the connection status of your devices, set up WiFi access for guests, or restrict your kids from accessing social networking sites when they should be doing homework. You can even prioritize which devices on your network get priority bandwidth to reduce lag times and buffering. You no longer have to be tethered to your desk at home to manage your home network.
- Remote Access: You'll be able to access and manage your network from anywhere and quickly view the status of your WiFi network.
- Guest Network: You'll be able to create a separate password-protected WiFi network for up to 50 guests and easily share the password.
- Parental Controls: You can ensure a safe Internet experience for your kids, even when you're away from home. Restrict access to inappropriate or distracting content, control usage, and block specific devices from accessing the Internet.
- Device Prioritization: You can prioritize devices that need the most speed.
- Speed Test: You'll be able to easily test and monitor your Internet connection's speed.
Amazon Alexa Compatible: Alexa compatibility enables you to interact with the Linksys Mesh WiFi router using an Alexa-enabled device (sold separately) and your voice. With Alexa, you can easily manage WiFi access for devices and individuals in the home. When paired with Amazon Alexa, you have access to a variety of convenient voice commands. For example, you can verbally turn Guest WiFi on or off by stating, "Alexa, ask Linksys to turn on my guest WiFi".
Dual USB 3.0 Ports: The two rear-panel USB 3.0 ports can be used to connect an external storage device (such as a USB thumbdrive or HDD) to share on the network. The USB 3.0 ports support the following file formats - NFTS, FAT32, APFS (read-only), and HFS+.
Note: This feature is only supported on the parent Linksys MR9600. If you connect a USB drive to a Linksys MR9600 used as a child node, the drive will not be detected.
Advanced Security: The Linksys MR9600 safeguards your network with wireless WPA2/WPA3 (WiFi Protected Access) encryption. Its provides up to 128-bit encryption. You can even use WPS (WiFi Protected Setup) technology to automatically and securely add wireless devices to your network.
Automatic Firmware Updates: The MR9600 will automatically receive firmware updates from Linksys through the Linksys App as they are released, so your router is always secure and up to date. Click here for the latest firmware updates.
AC Power: The Linksys MR9600 router includes an AC power adapter (100-240V ~ 50-60Hz) which will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet.
Mounting Options: The router can simply be placed on a tabletop or desktop. It can also be wall mounted using the integrated keyholes slots (mounting screws not included).