About the Linksys RE6500 Wi-Fi Range Extender
Extend your wireless range
Extend your wireless range
The Linksys RE6500 can add up to 10,000 square feet of dual-band wireless coverage to your existing router. And it's compatible with most routers, including the one you rent from your internet service provider. Spot Finder technology helps you find the best location for the range extender using your smartphone, tablet, or laptop. And setup is quick and easy thanks to the Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) button on the back.
A special streaming feature for music lovers
This range extender has a built-in music streaming feature, which lets you connect it directly to headphones, powered speakers, or an audio system via its 3.5mm stereo audio output. You can play your audio content using a variety of media software:
- Windows users can stream music with Windows Media Player 12, foobar2000, XBMC, and WinDVD.
- Mac® users can stream music with proprietary software or SofaPlay, XBMC, SongBook, and OPlayer.
- Apple® iOS® devices can stream music with proprietary software or apps such as PlugPlayer, Media:connect, ArkMC, and more.
- Wi-Fi 5 dual-band Gigabit wireless range extender
- extends your router's wireless range up to 10,000 square feet
- AC1200 Wi-Fi (300+867 Mbps)
- cross-band technology maximizes the simultaneous use of both bands for high-speed data transfer
- two external antennas
- four 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology
- 3.5mm output for connecting to headphones, powered speakers, or an audio system
- Spot Finder technology helps you determine optimal placement using your smartphone, tablet, or laptop
- wireless music playback feature supports MP3, FLAC, WAV, WMA, and AAC file formats
- Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) button for easy configuration
- security: WEP, WPA2
- keyhole slots for wall mounting
Dimensions and warranty:
- 6-1/8"W x 3-15/16"H x 5-5/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # RE6500
What's in the box:
- WiFi range extender
- AC power adapter (attached 58" DC cord)
- 2 Antennas
- 59" Ethernet cable
- Quick Start Guide
- Regulatory Information
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Linksys RE6500 Wi-Fi Range Extender
WiFi Range Extender: The Linksys AC1200 Max WiFi Range Extender (RE6500) is the latest range extender from Linksys with 802.11ac technology. With up to 10,000 sq ft coverage, it lets you repeat the wireless signal of any access point or router to provide Internet connectivity in hard-to-reach areas through a wireless connection on the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequency band.
- Dual Antennas: The Linksys AC1200 Max WiFi Range Extender (RE6500) has two detachable antennas, that enable it to provide maximum coverage. The two antennas should always be facing up for maximum signal.
- Cross-Band: Innovative Crossband technology allows for the simultaneous use of both bands, rather than relying on one radio band to do all the work. This allows information to be obtained on one band and transmitted on the other, resulting in reduced dropped data packets, faster media transfer speeds, and a stronger, more consistent signal throughout your home.
- Spot Finder: Compatible with your smartphone, laptop, or tablet, Linksys' exclusive Spot Finder Technology provides a unique visual representation of how far or how close the AC1200 Max is in relation to your router. The 3-step setup ensures that you'll get the maximum WiFi signal to the far reaches of your home and outdoors
System Compatibility & Requirements: The Linksys AC1200 Max WiFi Range Extender (RE6500) works with many types of wireless routers including service provider's routers; there is no need to adjust your router's settings when installing the extender. It also works with both Windows and Mac, as well as a variety of internet browsers. Your wireless router, computer, and internet browser must meet the following minimum system requirements.
- Wireless Router: You will need a 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac wireless Dual-Band router or gateway.
- Computer OS: Windows XP / Visa (32/64) / 7 (32/64) / 8 (32/64) / 8.1 (32/64), or Mac OS X Leopard (10.5.8) / Snow Leopard (10.6.1) / Lion (10.7) / Mountain Lion (10.8) / Mavericks (10.9) / Yosemite (10.10).
- Internet Browser: Latest versions of Google Chrome, Firefox 8 or higher, Safari 5 or higher, and Internet Explorer 8 or higher.
Simple Setup: Install the range extender midway between your router and the area in your home without WiFi. Using your mobile device or laptop, be sure you have at least two bars (around 50%) of your router's WiFi signal at that location. Lauch the web-based setup page of the RE6500 by entering http://extender.linksys.com in the Address bar of your computer or mobile device complete setup. You can use Linksys' Spot Finder Technology to help you position the extender in the best location of maximum WiFi coverage.
4 Gigabit Ethernet Ports: Linksys equipped the RE6500 with four Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45) ports, which are 10x faster than Fast Ethernet. You can connect various devices such as game consoles, smart TVs, and more to your WiFi network. It also helps provide more WiFi bandwidth to your mobile devices.
Wireless Music Playback: The AC1200 Max boasts a wireless music playback feature and a 3.5mm analog output that allows you to stream music on your network and play it on connected headphones or powered speakers. The extender supports MP3, FLAC, WAV, WMA, and AAC file formats, as long as those formats are supported by the device and the app doing the streaming. Supported media players include -
- Windows users can stream music with Windows Media Player, 12, foobar2000, XBMC, and WinDVD.
- Mac users can stream music with proprietary software or the SofaPlay, XBMC, SongBook, and OPlayer.
- Apple iOS devices including iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch can stream music with proprietary software or other apps such as Plugplayer, media:connect, ArkMC, Smartstor Fusion Stream, Mconnect, and DK UPnP/DLNA.
Note: The list of media players is subject to change.
Security Modes: The Linksys RE6500 supports WEP (64-bit/128-bit), WPA2-Personal, and Mixed Mode. You can even use WPS (WiFi Protected Setup) technology to automatically and securely add wireless devices to your network.
LED Indicator: The front-panel LED indicates the following -
- Blinking White: When the extender is powered On, is resetting to factory defaults, upgrading its firmware, or WPS connection is in process.
- Solid White: When the extender is ready to use or WPS connection is successful.
- Binking Orange: When the extender is ready for setup or is disconnected from router.
- Solid Orange: When the extender has a weak connection to the router.
Note: If the LED indicator is solid red, unplug the extender and move it closer to the router. If it is flashing red, simply unplug and reconnect the extender.
Power Requirements: The Linksys RE6500 comes with an external power supply (100-240V ~ 50/60Hz) that will need to plugged into AC wall outlet or surge protector.
Mounting Options: The Linksys RE6500 can be placed on a table-top using its integrated rubber feet, or mounted to the wall using its integrated keyhole slots (moutning screws not included).