About the Linksys RE6700 Wi-Fi® Range Extender
A clever device that adds range to your wireless signal
Even if you have a powerful router, you may find that the signal gets a bit ragged at the outer edges of its range. The Linksys RE6700 range extender can pick up weak and intermittent signals and amplify them, so dead zones are filled with fast dual-band wireless signal.
The ingenious module includes an integrated power outlet, so even when you've plugged it into a standard wall socket, you can still use the socket. There's also a 3.5mm jack so you can stream music to a connected pair of computer speakers — how convenient is that?
- 802.11ac dual-band Gigabit wireless range extender
- AC1200 (300 Mbps+867 Mbps)
- up to 300 Mbps on 802.11n band
- up to 867 Mbps on 802.11ac band
- extends 2.4 and 5 GHz Wi-Fi signals from existing routers for better range
- one 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet port with auto-sensing technology
- integrated power outlet lets you retain access to your wall outlet even when the extender is in use
- connect speakers to the range extender's 3.5mm audio jack
- Crossband technology allows for the simultaneous use of both bands
- mobile-guided Spot Finder setup helps you find the most effective place to plug in
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # RE6700
What's in the box:
- WiFi range extender
- Quick Start Guide
- Regulatory Information
Linksys RE6700 Wi-Fi® Range Extender reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Linksys RE6700 Wi-Fi® Range Extender
WiFi Range Extender: The Linksys AC1200 Amplify WiFi Range Extender (RE6700) is the latest range extender from Linksys with 802.11ac technology and a plug-in format factor with a built-in power outlet that allows the device to plug into a power outlet while providing an extra outlet for other electronics, too. With up to 10,000 sq ft coverage, it lets you repeat the wireless signal of any access point or router to provide Internet connectivity in hard-to-reach areas through a wireless connection on the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequency band.
System Compatibility & Requirements: The Linksys AC1200 Amplify WiFi Range Extender (RE6700) works with many types of wireless routers including service provider's routers; there is no need to adjust your router's settings when installing the extender. It also works with both Windows and Mac, as well as a variety of internet browsers. Your wireless router, computer, and internet browser must meet the following minimum system requirements.
- Wireless Router: You will need a 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac wireless Dual-Band router or gateway.
- Computer OS: Windows XP / Visa (32/64) / 7 (32/64) / 8 (32/64), Mac OS X Leopard (10.5.8) / Snow Leopard (10.6.1) / Lion (10.7) / Mountain Lion (10.8) / Yosemite (10.9).
- Internet Browser: Latest versions of Google Chrome, Firefox 8 or higher, Safari 5 or higher, and Internet Explorer 8 or higher.
Wireless Coverage Range: The Linksys AC1200 Amplify WiFi Range Extender (RE6700) extends the range of your wireless router up to 10,000 square feet, eliminating dead zones.
Dual-Band Wireless-AC: The Linksys RE6700 supported WiFi standards are 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, and 802.11ac. It also supports the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies simultaneously With Dual-Band Wireless-AC, the AC1200 Amplify eliminates dead zones and delivers greater range and consistent, high-speed connectivity. This allows you to stream media, play online games, and share content throughout your home.
Advance WiFi Technologies: The Linksys AC1200 Amplify WiFi Range Extender (RE6700) incorporates advanced WiFi technologies like Beamforming, Cross-Band, and Spot Finder.
- Beamforming: Beamforming enables the extender to identify and connect directly with other devices rather than simply sending out wireless signals in a general direction. Now you can experience faster network speeds, better wireless range, reduced interference from other devices, and stronger WiFi connections.
- Cross-Band: Innovative Crossband technology allows for the simultaneous use of both bands, rather than relying on one radio band to do all the work. This allows information to be obtained on one band and transmitted on the other, resulting in reduced dropped data packets, faster media transfer speeds, and a stronger, more consistent signal throughout your home.
- Spot Finder: Compatible with your smartphone, laptop, or tablet, Linksys' exclusive Spot Finder Technology provides a unique visual representation of how far or how close the AC1200 AMPLIFY is in relation to your router. The 3-step setup ensures that you'll get the maximum WiFi signal to the far reaches of your home and outdoors
Dual Antennas: The Linksys AC1200 Amplify WiFi Range Extender (RE6700) has two non-detachable antennas, that enable it to provide maximum coverage. For single story homes both antennas should be pointing down. For Multi-story homes, one antenna should always be pointed down, while the second antenna should be positioned differently depending on where the extender is located and where the wireless coverage is needed.
IP Address: The default IP address of the RE6700 is 192.168.1.1 and password is admin. However, once the RE6700 is connected to your existing network, your wireless router will automatically assign a different IP address and treat it as a DHCP client. In this case, you may easily access the web-based setup page of the RE6700 by entering http://extender.linksys.com in the Address bar or its friendly name "RE6700-xxx" where xxx are the last three (3) characters of its MAC address. You can find the wireless MAC address of your range extender in its web-based setup page.
Gigabit Ethernet Port: Linksys equipped the RE6700 with a Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45) port, which is 10x faster than Fast Ethernet. You can connect various devices such as game consoles, smart TVs, and more to your WiFi network. It also helps provide more WiFi bandwidth to your mobile devices.
Wireless Music Playback: The AC1200 Amplify boasts a wireless music playback feature and a 3.5mm analog output that allows you to stream music on your network and play it on connected headphones or powered speakers. The extender supports MP3, FLAC, WAV, WMA, and AAC file formats, as long as those formats are supported by the device and the app doing the streaming. Supported media players include -
- Windows users can stream music with Windows Media Player, 12, foobar2000, XBMC, and WinDVD.
- Mac users can stream music with proprietary software or the SofaPlay, XBMC, SongBook, and OPlayer.
- Apple iOS devices including iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch can stream music with proprietary software or other apps such as Plugplayer, media:connect, ArkMC, Smartstor Fusion Stream, Mconnect, and DK UPnP/DLNA.
Note: The list of media players is subject to change.
Security Modes: The Linksys RE6700 supports WEP (64-bit/128-bit), WPA2-Personal, and Mixed Mode. You can even use WPS (WiFi Protected Setup) technology to automatically and securely add wireless devices to your network.
LED Indicator: The front-panel LED indicates the following -
- Off: No power on the range extender.
- Solid Green: The extender is ready to use or WPS connection is successful.
- Flashing Yellow: The extender is starting up, resetting to factory defaults, upgrading its firmware, or WPS connection is in process.
- Flashing Red: The extender cannot establish a connection or encounters a problem.
- Solid Red: Weak signal on 2.4GHz or 5.GHz connection.
Note: If the LED indicator is solid red, unplug the extender and move it closer to the router. If it is flashing red, simply unplug and reconnect the extender.
Integrated Power Outlet: Thanks to an integrated power outlet, you can maintain use of the power outlet even when the AC1200 Amplify (RE6700) is plugged in. The pass-through function on the WiFi range extender works exactly like a normal electrical outlet, and is not controlled in any way by the range extender.
AC Power: The Linksys AC1200 Amplify (RE6700) must be plugged into an AC power outlet.
- AC Input: 100-120 V~15 A, 50/60 HZ
- AC Output: 100-120 V~14.5 A, 50/60 Hz
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
1 question already asked