Furman P-8 Pro C
20-amp power line conditioner and surge protector
Our take on the Furman P-8 Pro C by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
Protect your investment like a pro
The P-8 Pro C has eight rear-panel outlets that can handle 20-amp or 15-amp plugs.
If you have a heavy-duty 20-amp circuit powering your audio equipment, the Furman P-8 Pro C creates a layer of protection between the AC wall socket and your gear. Its eight rear-panel AC outlets can accommodate 20-amp or standard 15-amp AC plugs.
You can count on Furman to maximize both the protection and the sonic performance of your system. Their exclusive technologies were originally developed to meet the extreme AC power demands of pro recording, film, and broadcast studios.
Continuous power monitoring and continuous protection
The P-8 Pro C constantly monitors incoming AC, and if it detects a significant overvoltage condition, it automatically shuts off power to all connected equipment. In the case of a sudden voltage spike, many surge suppressors are designed to "take a bullet" and sacrifice internal parts to save your gear. It's a noble effort, but it leaves your system out of commission while you send the suppressor back to the factory for repair or replacement. With Furman's Series Multi-Stage Protection Plus system (SMP), damaging transient voltages are safely absorbed, clamped and dissipated — no sacrificed parts, no service calls, and no down time.
In addition to high-voltage spikes from unforeseen events like lightning strikes, Furman's overvoltage circuitry will protect against accidental connections to 208 or 240VAC by shutting off the incoming power until the overvoltage condition is corrected.
Hear the signal, not the noise
The P-8 Pro C also features Furman's wide-bandwidth filtration, which reduces the AC line noise that can mask low-level and ambient details of your mixes, from natural rooms sounds to added effects. The eight AC outlets on the back panel are divided into two banks. Three of the rear-panel outlets are spaced to accommodate wall wart adapters. The single switched outlet on the front works with 15-amp AC plugs only.
- 9 AC outlets 8 rear, 1 front (rear-panel outlets are compatible with 15-amp and 20-amp AC plugs):
- 8 rear-panel outlets are divided into two isolated banks
- a single AC outlet on the front panel
- 10-foot 12-gauge heavy-duty power cable with 20-amp NEMA 5-20P plug (requires a 20-amp circuit and a 5-20R T slot receptacle)
- Series Multi-Stage Protection (SMP) surge suppression system can withstand multiple catastrophic voltage spikes and keep protecting your gear
- Extreme Voltage Shutdown circuitry monitors incoming AC and automatically cuts off power to connected equipment if overvoltage is detected
- wide-bandwidth EMI/RFI noise filtering for clearer sound
- zero ground contamination circuitry ensures delivery of pure AC
- maximum current rating: 20 amps
- BNC connector on the rear panel allows connection of any standard gooseneck lamp
- 19"W x 1-3/4"H x 10-1/2"D (1U rack space)
- weight: 11 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Rack-mountable (1U rack space) 9-outlet component style surge protector/power conditioner with attached 10' power cord (3-prong plug)
- Owner's Manual
Why Shop With Us?12 Reasons.
Features and Specs
|Total AC Outlets||9|
|Joule Rating||Not given|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Overview: The Furman Classic Series P8-Pro C is rack-mountable power conditioner, designed for use by audio/video professionals, contractors, broadcasters, and musicians. It has 8 high-quality AC outlets on the rear panel, plus a front panel convenience outlet, all controlled by a single switch. The unit is equipped with rack ears, and takes up 1U of rack space. The P8-Pro C has a flexible, 10' power cord with three 12-gauge conductors and a NEMA 20 plug (requires a special 20-amp receptacle with perpendicular blades).
Applications: The P8-Pro C is recommended for professional audio and video applications, and can be installed in permanent or portable rack systems. They can be used to protect your mixing boards, amps, preamps, and effects generators from power spikes and surges when you go on the road. In the recording studio, the RFI/EMI filtering can give you cleaner recordings by removing noise cause by dirty AC power. In addition, the front panel lights can also help you see the controls on your equipment when you're working in a darkened night club, bar, or other venue.
AC Outlets: The P8-Pro C has eight 3-pronged outlets on the rear panel, divided into two isolated banks to minimize inter-component interference and noise contamination. The three outlets in Bank 1 are widely spaced to accommodate bulky AC power transformers ("wall warts"). Bank 2 has five outlets spaced narrowly apart to accommodate standard-sized AC plugs. There is a single 3-pronged outlet on the front panel, providing a convenient place to temporarily plug in a device, when needed.
SMP (Series Multi-stage Protection): Furman's exclusive SMP technology provides the highest level of surge and spike protection available.
EVS (Extreme Voltage Shutdown): The P8-ProC will shut itself off when it detects dangerous voltage irregularities, protecting the connected equipment from unsafe conditions.
LiFT (Linear Filtering Technology): The P8-Pro C filters the incoming AC power to insure your equipment is receiving clean power for optimum audio and video performance.
LED Indicators: Two front panel status LEDs indicate when the surge protection and noise filtering are working (Protection OK), and can alert you when the voltage is outside of the normal range (Extreme Voltage).
BNC Lamp Connector: In addition to the front panel lights, a BNC connector is provided for powering a standard gooseneck lamp (not included) for rear rack illumination. It is rated for 12VAC 500mA.
- Maximum Output Current: 20 Amps
- Operating Voltage: 90 to 140 VAC
- Over Voltage Shutdown: 140 VAC
- Spike Protection Mode: Line to neutral, zero ground leakage
- Spike Clamping Voltage: 188 VAC peak @ 3000 Amps, 133 VAC RMS
- Response Time: 1 nanosecond
- Maximum Surge Current: 6500 Amps
- Noise Attenuation: 10dB @ 10 kHz, 40dB @ 100 kHz, 50dB @ 500 kHz
- Dimensions: 19" W x 10.5" D x 1.75" H
- Weight: 11 pounds
- Power Consumption: 12 watts
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
Frequently Compared With
Furman P-8 Pro C
20-amp power line conditioner and surge protector$415.99
Furman PL-Plus C
Power line conditioner and surge protector with voltmeter
Furman PL-PRO C
20-amp power line conditioner and surge protector with voltmeter$460.99
Rack-mount surge protector and power conditioner