About the Furman S-5500
Your audio/video gear requires clean, safe power to operate at its best. For over 35 years, Furman has specialized in building AC power products that meet the needs of audiophiles, videophiles, and even broadcast professionals. Their S-5500 will protect up to 11 components from harmful power spikes and surges, and prevent common line voltage fluctuations from limiting your system's performance.
All your connections are covered
Ten AC outlets on the back panel are divided into three isolated banks. This helps prevent noise created by one component from affecting the power going to your other plugged-in equipment. One bank is designed for high-current components like your amplifier and subwoofer. Four sets of coaxial inputs and outputs protect your satellite, cable TV and antenna connections. And two pairs of protected jacks prevent spikes from sneaking in through your phone line and Ethernet connection.
Continuous power monitoring for greater peace of mind
A digital voltmeter on the front panel monitors the power coming into your system. A red lightning bolt below the voltage display will flash to indicate an under- or over-voltage condition. In either situation, power to any connected equipment is automatically turned off. When voltage returns to a safe level, power is automatically reconnected.
Read our blog post Better home audio, Tip #12: Use a power conditioner.
- 11 AC outlets with three isolated banks:
- one isolated bank of four switched outlets (also switchable via 12-volt trigger)
- one isolated bank of four unswitched outlets
- one isolated bank of two switched high-current outlets with delayed turn-on for amplifiers
- one unswitched front-panel convenience outlet
- surge and over- and under-voltage protection
- sequential start-up and shut-down to guard against blown fuses and potentially damaging speaker turn-on thumps
- filtration circuitry virtually eliminates line noise
- four sets of coaxial RF connections compatible with cable TV, cable modem, satellite TV, and a TV antenna
- RJ-45 LAN line input and output
- RJ-11 phone line input and output
- 12-volt DC trigger input
- front-panel digital voltmeter with "unsafe voltage" indicators
- 1815-joule surge protection
- UL 1449 Rating: 330V
- maximum current rating: 15 amps
- 10-foot power cord
- includes rack-mounting brackets
- 17"W x 4-1/8"H x 15-1/4"D
- weight: 17 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # S5500
What's in the box:
- Surge suppressor
- 10' AC power cord (installed)
- 2 Piece power cord bracket (installed)
- 2 Rack mount brackets
- 4 Machine screws
- 4 Plastic washers
- Two 42" RG-59 coaxial cables
- 48" Telephone cable (has an RJ11 connector on each end)
- Owner's guide
Furman S-5500 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Furman S-5500
Features & specs
|Total AC Outlets||---|
|Powerline Network Compatible||---|
|Connected Equipment Guarantee||---|
11 AC Outlets: The Furman S-5500 features one front-panel unswitched AC outlet, four rear-panel unswitched filtered outlets, four rear-panel switched filtered AC outlets, and two rear-panel switched high current AC outlets:
- Bank 1: Bank 1 has four unswitched (always on) 3-prong outlets; these outlets will only power off during a fault condition (under-voltage/over-voltage). EMI and RFI noise is removed by a three-stage balanced Pi filter. Bank 1 is also isolated from the other outlet banks.
- Bank 2: Bank 2 has four switched 3-prong outlets; they turn on and off using the front panel switch or the DC trigger; when the system is turned on they turn on immediately, when the system is turned of there is a 10 second delay before they turn off. EMI and RFI noise is removed by a three-stage balanced Pi filter. Bank 2 is also isolated from the other outlet banks.
- Bank 3: Bank 3 has two switched 3-prong outlets to provide power for components requiring high current; amplifier, powered subwoofer, etc. Noise is removed using a low impedance filtration circuit that does not limit the current to your equipment. Bank 3 turns on and off using the front panel switch or the DC trigger; when the system is turned on they turn on after a five second delay, when the system is turned of they turn off immediately. The output is noise isolated from all of the other outlets.
- Front Panel Outlet: The S-5500 features a convenient unswitched 3-prong AC outlet located on the front-panel.
EVS: The Extreme Voltage Shutdown (EVS) circuitry constantly monitors the line voltage for unsafe conditions; over-voltage or under-voltage. When an extreme voltage is recognized all 11 outlets are automatically disconnected to protect your equipment. Once the line voltage returns to normal the outlets are reconnected.
Catastrophic Surge Protection: When the S-5500 is subjected to a high voltage surge, the voltage output is limited to a safe level and the additional voltage is directed away from your equipment. If the magnitude of the surge is greater than the capacity of the internal components, the AC outputs are disconnected and the S-5500's internal components are destroyed, the unit will then need to be repaired or replaced.
EMI and RFI Filtration: Power cleaning and filtration eliminates common symptoms of contaminated power (including loss of detail, pops, hisses, hums and visual artifacts) and allows your A/V equipment to perform up to its full capability.
Outlet Isolation: The S-5500 is designed to provide noise isolation between the three outlet banks (including Bank 3 with two high current outlets) so that any noise created by one A/V component cannot contaminate the power going to equipment plugged into another outlet bank.
Power Sequencing: The S-5500 features Sequential Startup and Shutdown to guard against blown fuses and potential damaging speaker thump by automatically powering switched outlets on and off in sequence. The components plugged into the switched outlets (AC Bank 2) power-up and stabilize before the high current amplifier/powered subwoofer outlets (AC Bank 3) are turned on. This sequence is reversed during shutdown; the amplifier and powered subwoofers turn off and their power supplies drain, then the equipment plugged into the switched outlets is turned off.
Voltage Sense Trigger Input: The S-5500 voltage sense trigger input uses a standard 3.5mm (1/8") mini-plug. This feature provides an On/Off trigger for the switched outlets using DC voltage (3-24 volts). You can connect the input to a remote trigger device that uses a DC output to trigger a start-up/shutdown sequence.
Coax Jacks: There are four pair of bi-directional coaxial jacks to protect your broadband data equipment. The connectors have less than 0.5 dB loss from 0Hz to 2.2GHz. The unit's clamping level of 75V will meet the demands of both cable and satellite voltage while minimizing exposure to damaging spikes and surges.
Phone Jacks: The S-5500 features an RJ-11 input and output for protecting your standard telephone or pay-per-view lines. The Phone circuit is auto-resetting.
LAN Jacks: The S-5500 is equipped with an RJ-45 LAN input and output on the rear panel to protect 10/100 BaseT Ethernet lines.
Digital Voltmeter: The S-5500 features a front-panel Digital Voltmeter which monitors the voltage supplying your home theater equipment. If line voltage drops below 90VAC, or if the line voltage exceeds 142VAC, the display will turn off and the unsafe voltage indicator will flash indicating and unsafe voltage condition.
Outlet Bank Power LEDs: Each bank of outlets features a corresponding Blue LED indicator on the front panel. These LEDs indicate the status of the rear panel outlets; an LED is lit when that Bank's outlets are on, it flashes during startup and shutdown.
Circuit Breaker: A circuit breaker is located on the back panel of the S-5500. The circuit breaker will trip only if the total current draw exceeds the maximum current rating (15A). This means that collectively, all outlets must draw more than 15 amps before the circuit breaker will trip. Once opened, the circuit must be reset manually.
Rack Mount: Brackets are included to rack mount the S-5500.
- Power Button: powers Bank 2 and Bank 3 outlets on and off
- Dimmer Button: adjusts brightness level of unit's front panel lights and voltmeter (off, low, medium, and high)
- Digital Voltmeter: digital LED voltmeter, indicates the incoming line voltage (90-140 volts AC)
- Unsafe Voltage Indicator: flashes to indicate the incoming voltage is too high or too low and all the outlets have been disconnected
- Power LEDs: an LED for each bank of outlets illuminates when that bank is on; flashes when a switched bank is powering on or off
- Wiring OK: this LED illuminates to indicate that the wall outlet is properly grounded and Line/Neutral polarity is correct
- Circuit Breaker: resets the S-5500 circuit breaker; the circuit automatically opens when total current exceeds 15 amps
- AC Outlet: front panel convenience outlet; unswitched (always on)
- Bank 1: four filtered, unswitched outlets
- Bank 2: four filtered, switched outlets controlled by the front panel power button or DC trigger
- Bank 3: two switched, high current outlets controlled by the front panel power button or DC trigger; labeled Amplifier/Powered Speakers
- Voltage Sense Trigger Input: 3.5mm mini-plug; connects to a remote trigger device that uses a DC output to trigger a startup/shutdown sequence
- LAN Jacks: RJ-45 input and output for 10/100 BaseT Ethernet lines
- Phone Jacks: RJ-11 input and output for standard telephone lines
- Coaxial Jacks: 4 pair of bidirectional threaded female F-type coax terminals
- Ground Lug: provides a common grounding point for equipment with separate ground leads
- Line Voltage: 120VAC, 60Hz
- Maximum Current Rating: 15 amps
- UL 1449 Surge Suppression Rating: 330 volts
- Initial Clamping Level: 200 volts
- Joule Rating: 1815 Joules
- Peak Impulse Current: 73,000A
- EMI/RFI Noise Filtration:
- Banks 1 and 2: 90dB, 100 kHz - 2 MHz
- Bank 3 (High Current): 60dB, 100 kHz - 2 MHz
- Over-voltage Shutoff Threshold: 142 volts AC (+/-5 volts)
- Under-voltage Shutoff Threshold: 90 volts AC (+/-3 volts)
DC Trigger Input:
- Jack: 3.5mm (1/8") mini-plug
- Voltage and Polarity: 3-24 volts DC, bidirectional
- Current Requirement: 4.6 mA @ 3V, 58mA @ 24V
- Clamping Level: 8 volts (+/-2 volts)
- Connectors: RJ-45
- Wires Protected: 4 wires (pins 1, 2, 3, and 6)
- Clamping Level: 260 volts
- Capacitance: approximately 30pf
- Suppression Modes: metallic and longitudinal
- Connections: RJ-11
- Wires Protected: 2 wires (pins 4 and 5)
Broadband Data Protection:
- Clamping Level: 75 volts
- Insertion Loss: <0.5 dB
- Bandwidth: 0 MHz - 2.2 GHz
- Connections: gold-plated female F-type