About the PSB Alpha AM5
Excellent powered speakers from PSB
Excellent powered speakers from PSB
This pair of powered PSB Alpha AM5 speakers is modeled on the company's popular Alpha P5 bookshelf speakers. They feature the same inverted design, with woofer on top and tweeter underneath, to keep sound properly in phase for frequencies that engage both drivers. They're driven by a built-in 50-watt amplifier that elminates the need for a bulky receiver or amplifier.
High-quality aptX Bluetooth streaming is built-in for easy wireless playback from a phone or tablet, and there are digital and analog inputs on the back of the active speaker for making wired connections to music sources. It's a space-saving way to get PSB sound without making room for a receiver or integrated amplifier.
These speakers can handle a variety of analog and digital sources. If you're a vinyl lover, you can plug your turntable with moving magnet cartridge directly into the dedicated phono input on the back of the active speaker. There's also a 3.5mm auxiliary input for connecting portable audio sources. A mini Type B USB port lets you connect your computer, and a Toslink optical digital input can be used to connect a CD player or the output of a compatible TV.
Want more bass? There's a mono RCA output for adding a powered subwoofer of your choice.
- amplification: 50 watts RMS per speaker
- each speaker features:
- 5-1/4" polypropylene midbass woofer
- 3/4" aluminum ferro-fluid cooled tweeter with front waveguide
- bass-reflex (ported) design
- built-in Bluetooth® with high-quality aptX™ audio streaming
- frequency response: 55-20,000 Hz (±3dB)
- selectable sound modes for prioritizing dialogue, musical soundstage, and more
- magnetically attached perforated-steel grilles
- remote control included
- dedicated phono input for connecting a turntable with moving magnet cartridge
- 3.5mm auxiliary input
- Toslink optical digital input for connecting digital sources
- mini Type B USB for connecting a computer
- mono RCA output for connecting a powered subwoofer
Dimensions and warranty:
- 6-3/4"W x 11-3/8"H x 9-1/2"D (each)
- weight: 21.5 lbs. (pair)
- warranty: 5 years (1 year amplifier)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # Alpha AM5 BLK
What's in the box:
- Powered speaker
- Passive speaker
- 2 Grilles
- AC power adapter (attached 45" DC cord)
- 4' AC power cord
- Remote control (PSR-1)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 8' Speaker cable
- 58" Stereo minijack cable
- 8 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- Connection Diagram
- Warranty Card
PSB Alpha AM5 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the PSB Alpha AM5
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (Inches)||0.75|
|Midrange Size (Inches)||---|
|Woofer Size (Inches)||5.25|
|Watts RMS (Continuous)||100|
|Watts Maximum (Peak)||Not given|
|Max. Digital Audio Bit Depth||24-bit|
|Max. Digital Audio Sample Rate||48 kHz|
|Control by app||N/A|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Built-In Class D Amplifier: The PSB Alpha Series AM5 powered speaker is equipped with a built-in high performance Class D amplifier that is rated at 50 watts x 2 channels for dynamic, room-filling sound. The addition of DSP (digital signal processing) ensures optimum sound reproduction with a wide-frequency response and low bass extension, plus high output and no audible distortion.
Note: The amplifier is only built into one of the speakers, while the other speaker is passive. The included 8' speaker cable connects the powered speaker to the passive speaker. The speaker connections on the back of each speaker are 5-way binding posts.
Two-Way Driver Design: The PSB Alpha AM5 powered speaker utilizes a two-way driver design that fills your room with powerful, crystal-clear sound. Featuring a custom 5.25" woofer and 0.75" aluminum dome tweeter that uses a waveguide to perfectly match the low and high frequencies for a smooth transition, the AM5 powered speaker delivers improved directivity and flattens the frequency response for a more natural sound.
- 0.75" Aluminum Dome Tweeter with Waveguide: The Alpha AM5 powered speaker features a 0.75" black anodized aluminum dome tweeter that extends the high-frequency response beyond the Alpha's original measurements and minimizes distortion for a rich, balanced listening experience. A waveguide on the front of the tweeter works to perfect on and off-axis performance while smoothing the response for improved resolution and detail. The ferrofluid cooled tweeter has also been precision engineered to sit below the woofer to provide precise stereo imaging at any height.
- 5.25" Polypropylene Woofer with Rubber Surround: The Alpha Series powered speaker houses a 5.25" textured polypropylene cone woofer with rubber surround for accurate mids and bass performance. Featuring a dual layer voice coil with a very powerful magnet structure and a cone that is made from a special textured polypropylene compound, the woofer is able to handle high output levels with low distortion.
Bass Reflex MDF Enclosure: The Alpha AM5 powered speaker employs a bass reflex cabinet design with a rear-firing port for greater efficiency and bigger, smoother bass response. The speaker cabinet features MDF construction and has a unique combination of wall thickness and bracing to control resonances and provide a perfect platform for the driver components. The speaker cabinet's internal damping material was first used in PSB's most high-end models, and has now been adopted by the Alpha series and positioned precisely for optimum effectiveness. The cabinet is finished in a premium matte black or white vinyl material and includes a perforated metal grille that attaches magnetically.
Audio Controls: The PSB Alpha Series AM5 powered speaker offers Bass & Treble, plus Listening Modes to tailor the sound to your preference and content.
- Listening Modes: Choose from Stereo (normal), Widesound (expanded soundstage), Dialog (enhanced vocal clarity), and WideSound Plus (expanded soundstage + enhanced dialog clarity).
- Bass & Treble: Adjust Bass & Treble manually to enhance low and high frequencies.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming with aptX-HD: The Alpha AM5 powered speaker features built-in Bluetooth 5.0 with support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP). You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth enabled smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer to the PSB powered speaker. In addition to the standard Bluetooth SBC codec, the AM5 offers support for Qualcomm's aptX-HD. aptX-HD is designed to deliver 24-bit/48kHz wireless HD audio over Bluetooth with improved signal-to-noise ratio and lower total harmonic distortion. The speaker offers SSP (Simple Secure Pairing) and can be paired with multiple devices, but only one device can be played back and connected at a time. The speaker will automatically connect to the last paired Bluetooth source device.
- Playback control and song/artist/album display will still be handled from your Bluetooth source device.
- The AM5 powered speaker does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for answering and making phone calls.
USB Audio Input: The PSB Alpha Series AM5 powered speaker is outfitted with a microUSB input for connection of your Windows PC or Mac computer, so you can listen to your laptop's or computer's digital music library through the PSB powered speaker. The AM5 powered speaker supports 2ch PCM audio files up to 24-bit/48kHz.
Note: This USB port does not support Apple iOS devices, Android OS devices, USB thumbdrives, HDDs, or Card-readers.
USB Charging Port: There is also a USB-A port (5V/1A) that is for charging purposes only; does not support audio playback. Use this USB port to charge your smartphone or tablet device.
Optical Digital Input: The optical (toslink) digital input allows you to connect the AM5 powered speaker to your TV or other digital audio source device. The optical digital input supports 2ch PCM audio up to 24-bit/48kHz.
Note: The optical digital input does not support Dolby Digital, DTS, and other multichannel surround formats.
Phono Input: The AM5 powered speaker is outfitted with a Phono MM Input for connection of a turntable that features a MM (moving magnet) cartridge.
Aux Input: The Alpha Series AM5 powered speaker features a 3.5mm Aux input for connection and audio playback of an external source device with an analog output or headphone jack.
Sub Out: The PSB Alpha AM5 powered speaker is equipped with a mono-RCA subwoofer output for connecting a powered sub (sold separately). The mono-RCA subwoofer output is full-range, so you'll need a powered sub with a built-in low pass crossover.
IR Remote with Learning Capability: The included IR remote provides wireless operation of the Alpha Series AM5 powered speaker. Control functions include Power On/Off, Input Selection, Volume Up/Down, Mute, Sound Mode, Bass/Treble, Subwoofer On/Off, and Bluetooth Pairing. IR Learning enables other IR remotes to learn IR control codes based on the supplied PSB PSR-1 remote control. The functions Power On/Off, Volume Up/Down, Input Selection, and Mute can be learned. With the learned codes, the configured IR remote control can be used to operate the PSB Alpha AM5 powered speaker.
Mounting & Placement Options: The compact AM5 powered speaker blends into almost any decor and is perfect for the office, living room, kitchen, or bedroom. The powered speaker can be placed on a tabletop, desktop, shelf, or stand. As symmetrically as possible, place the Alpha AM5 powered speakers at a comfortable listening location with no obstructions at the front or back. PSB recommends at least 3" of clearance around the back of both speakers. Good air circulation is required for heat dissipation, and to ensure proper performance of the rear-firing ports; similar positioning and clearance should be used for both speakers.
Note: The PSB AM5 does not include a bracket, keyhole slot, or threaded insert to wall-mount the speaker.
Power Requirements: The PSB Alpha AM5 will need to be plugged into an AC power outlet. Only the powered speaker will need to be plugged into an AC power outlet, while the other speaker is passive and only requires a speaker connection between the powered speaker and passive speaker. The included AC power adapter and cord will plug into the back of the powered speaker and then into an AC power outlet or surge protector (sold separately).
Note: The PSB Alpha AM5 is not battery powered.
2 questions already asked