About the PSB Alpha B1
Compact, budget-friendly speakers
Compact, budget-friendly speakers
The Alpha B1s will show you what high-end sound is all about, but at a low-end price. Like every PSB speaker, they're designed to make sure you don't miss all the thrilling special effects and emotionally engaging sounds in your movies and music. You'll be amazed by their ability to produce clean, clear highs and mids that make your movies and music come to life. It's no wonder they're among PSB's best-selling speakers.
Excellence by design
PSB's engineers began by designing each Alpha speaker from scratch to ensure that they'll deliver the same level of performance typically found on speakers twice their price. The Alpha B1s use a 3/4" aluminum dome tweeter to deliver crisp, sparkling highs. The 5-1/4" woofers are made of metalized polypropylene, making them strong but lightweight. It means you'll hear excellent midrange detail and distinct bass without a trace of the listening fatigue that can happen with lesser speakers.
Build a complete Alpha system
Create a complete, budget-friendly Alpha home theater system using a combination of Alpha B1s in the front of your room, the C1 center channel, and either another pair of B1s or the LR1 satellite speakers in the back of your room. And don't forget to add a PSB powered subwoofer (or two) for room-thumping bass.
- frequency response: 65-21,000 Hz (±3dB)
- sensitivity: 91 dB
- impedance: 6 ohms
- recommended power: 15-90 watts
- 3/4" aluminum dome tweeter
- 5-1/4" clay metalized polypropylene woofer
- bass reflex (ported) design
- gold-plated five-way binding posts
- keyhole slot and dual threaded inserts for optional wall mounting
- black ash vinyl finish
- 7"W x 11-3/4"H x 9-11/16"D (each)
- weight: 10.2 lbs. (each)
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # Alpha B1 BLK
What's in the box:
- 2 Bookshelf loudspeakers
- 2 Detachable grilles (installed)
- 8 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- Owner's Manual
- Limited Warranty Information
PSB Alpha B1 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the PSB Alpha B1
Features & specs
|Finish||MDF, Wood-grain vinyl|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||0.75|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5.25|
|Frequency Response||65-21,000 Hz|
|Connector Type||5-way post|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Keyhole|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||24-28|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Two-Way Design: The PSB Alpha Series B1 bookshelf loudspeaker features a true two-way design that employs a single 5.25" mid-woofer paired with a single .75" ferrofluid-cooled tweeter. The result is an extremely tight sound with excellent imaging characteristics
- 0.75" Tweeter w/ WaveGuide: Each Alpha Series B1 loudspeaker is equipped with a 0.75" aluminum dome, ferrofluid-cooled tweeter for crisp, clear highs. The B1 bookshelf speaker's tweeters utilize an acoustical waveguide to deliver, more even high frequency response, no matter what part of the room you're in.
- 5.25" Woofer: Each PSB Alpha Series B1 speaker employs a 5.25" injection molded metalized polypropylene woofer with rubber surround for accurate, detailed midbass.
- Crossover Network: The tweeter and woofer are crossed over at 3,000 Hz.
Bass Reflex Cabinet: The PSB B1 loudspeaker utilizes a bass reflex enclosure with a rear-firing port for greater efficiency and bigger bass response. The PSB Alpha Series B1 bookshelf speaker features a black wood grain vinyl cabinet that matches almost any decor. The speakers come with removable aluminum (metal-mesh) black grilles.
5-Way Binding Posts: The 5-way binding posts will accept bare wire (up to 12-gauge), pin connectors, spade connectors, and banana plugs (single or dual). The speaker's binding posts are color-coded (red/black) for easy identification between positive and negative.
Mounting Options: The PSB B1 loudspeakers include eight self-adhesive rubber feet to safely and securely place the speakers on floor-stands or other AV furniture. Each PSB Alpha Series B1bookshelf speaker also features a single keyhole slot and dual 1/4"-20 threaded insert to wall-mount the speaker. Each Alpha Series B1 speaker has a single keyhole slot on the back panel to easily wall-mount the speakers. Each B1 loudspeaker also features dual 1/4"-20 threaded inserts to wall-mount the speakers using optional articulating brackets (sold separately).
Placement: The positioning of the left and right speaker can play a major role in their acoustic performance of a pair of loudspeakers. The position of speakers in relation to the walls, floor, and ceiling of your listening room will also often affect the way a speaker sounds.
- Positioning: The optimum placement height for bookshelf speakers should typically be set with the tweeters at about the same height as your ears when seated. Generally, you will receive the best imaging and other spatial qualities if the speakers and your listening position form an equilateral triangle, with the speakers not quite as far apart from each other as your position from the speakers. If your favorite listening position is equally distant from both speakers, angling or "toeing" the speakers inward about 5 to 10° usually produces the best convergence of high frequencies for that listening position. Different listening positions may require different angling.
- Room Boundaries: For the greatest bass response and feel, place the speakers near three adjoining surfaces - in a corner of a room near the floor or ceiling - where the convergence of the two walls and floor/ceiling produces an amplifying effect that resembles megaphone-like sound. Placing a speaker away from all room boundaries will produce the least amount of bass, however your own listening preferences should decide what proportion of bass response is ideal for each room setting and space.
Alpha Series: The all-new Alpha Series has been rebuilt with enhanced custom drivers and a new crossover design that work perfectly together to deliver natural, detailed sound with precision and less distortion. PSB's Alpha Series of loudspeakers offer five models (T20 Tower, P5 Bookshelf, P3 Bookshelf, B1 Bookshelf, and C10 Center) to fit the needs of almost any audio setting. The Alpha Series of speakers offers audiophile sound quality at an affordable price; but not at the expense of appeal, style, and sound.
Note: Every PSB Alphas Series speaker is meticulously tuned and tested at Canada's national research facilities to deliver the most accurate acoustics under the most demanding of listening conditions.
Optional Powered Sub: Add a PSB SubSeries powered subwoofer (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to the Alpha Series loudspeakers for an even more immersive listening experience with bigger bass response.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
2 questions already asked