About the PSB Alpha P3
Give music and movies a sonic boost
Give music and movies a sonic boost
Compact PSB Alpha P3 speakers offer a cost-effective way to make movies and music sound great. Use this pair to listen your favorite tunes in a stereo system, or use them as front or surround speakers to make movie and TV watching an immersive experience.
Each attractive wood-grain cabinet houses a 3/4" anodized aluminum dome tweeter with front waveguide, and a 4-1/2" textured polypropylene woofer with rubber surround. And you may notice that the tweeter is mounted below the woofer, which is the opposite of the usual arrangement. PSB's founder and chief engineer, Paul Barton explains that this design feature helps keep sound properly in phase for frequencies where the woofer and tweeter are both playing.
Part of a PSB surround sound system
Match the PSB Alpha P3 with other speakers in the Alpha line to create a powerful, immersive surround sound system:
- frequency response: 57-21,000 Hz (±3dB)
- sensitivity: 87 dB
- nominal impedance: 8 ohms
- recommended power: 10-80 watts
- 3/4" anodized aluminum dome tweeter with front waveguide
- 4-1/2" textured polypropylene woofer with rubber surround
- bass reflex (ported) design
- magnetically attached grilles
- gold-plated five-way binding posts
- dual threaded inserts for optional wall mounting
- 5-3/16"W x 8-3/4"H x 7-5/16"D (each)
- weight: 4.9 lbs. (each)
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # Alpha P3WLNT
What's in the box:
- 2 Bookshelf loudspeakers
- 2 Grilles
- 8 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Card
PSB Alpha P3 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the PSB Alpha P3
Features & specs
|Finish||MDF, Wood-grain vinyl|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||0.75|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||4.5|
|Frequency Response||57-21k Hz|
|Connector Type||5-way post|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||28-30|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Two-Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker: The PSB Alpha P3 is a small two-way bookshelf loudspeaker that fills your room with powerful, crystal-clear sound. Featuring a custom 4.5" woofer and 0.75" aluminum dome tweeter that uses a waveguide to perfectly match the low and high frequencies for a smooth transition, the P3 delivers improved directivity and flattens the frequency response for a more natural sound.
- 0.75" Aluminum Dome Tweeter w/ Waveguide: The Alpha P3 bookshelf loudspeaker utilizes a 0.75" black anodized aluminum dome tweeter that extends the high-frequency response beyond the Alpha's original measurements and minimizes distortion for a rich, balanced listening experience. A waveguide on the front of the tweeter works to perfect on and off-axis performance while smoothing the response for improved resolution and detail. The ferrofluid cooled tweeter on the P3 has also been precision engineered to sit below the woofer to provide precise stereo imaging at any height.
- 4.5" Polypropylene Woofer w/ Rubber Surround: The Alpha Series bookshelf speaker houses a 4.5" textured polypropylene woofer with rubber surround for accurate mids and bass performance. Featuring a dual layer voice coil with a very powerful magnet structure and a cone that is made from a special textured polypropylene compound the woofer is able to handle high outputs level with low distortion.
Advanced Crossover Network: The Alpha Series' new crossover wasn't custom designed to simply just direct low and high frequencies to the woofer and tweeter. It was re-engineered to control the directivity and flatten the frequency response while utilizing an unusually complex acoustic Butterworth low-pass filter that is designed to get a perfect blend between the drivers and keep distortion at its lowest even at high volumes.
Bass Reflex Cabinet Design: The Alpha P3 bookshelf loudspeaker employs a bass reflex cabinet design with a rear-firing port for greater efficiency and bigger, smoother bass response. The speaker cabinet features MDF construction and has a unique combination of wall thickness and bracing to control resonances and provide a perfect platform for the driver components. The P3 cabinet's internal damping material was first used in PSB's most high-end models, and has now been adopted by the Alpha series and positioned precisely for optimum effectiveness. The cabinet is finished in a premium wood-grain vinyl with a chrome-accented front baffle and includes an acoustically-transparent magnetically attached grille.
5-Way Binding Posts: The Alpha P3 is outfitted with 5-way, gold-plated binding post speaker terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single or dual). These gold-plated terminals ensure excellent signal transfer and resist corrosion.
Mounting Options: The Alphas Series bookshelf loudspeakers include self-adhesive rubber feet to safely and securely place the speakers on a tabletop, shelf, or floor-stands (sold separately). The self-adhesive feet add approximately 0.125" to the overall height of the speaker. The PSB Alpha P3 also features a 1/4"-20 threaded insert on the back of the cabinet to wall-mount the speaker with an optional bracket (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
Placement: The positioning of the left and right speaker can play a major role in their acoustic performance of a pair of loudspeakers. The position of speakers in relation to the walls, floor, and ceiling of your listening room will also often affect the way a speaker sounds.
- Positioning: The optimum placement height for bookshelf speakers should typically be set with the tweeters at about the same height as your ears when seated. Generally, you will receive the best imaging and other spatial qualities if the speakers and your listening position form an equilateral triangle, with the speakers not quite as far apart from each other as your position from the speakers. If your favorite listening position is equally distant from both speakers, angling or "toeing" the speakers inward about 5 to 10° usually produces the best convergence of high frequencies for that listening position. Different listening positions may require different angling.
- Room Boundaries: For the greatest bass response and feel, place the speakers near three adjoining surfaces - in a corner of a room near the floor or ceiling - where the convergence of the two walls and floor/ceiling produces an amplifying effect that resembles megaphone-like sound. Placing a speaker away from all room boundaries will produce the least amount of bass, however your own listening preferences should decide what proportion of bass response is ideal for each room setting and space.
Alpha Series: The all-new Alpha Series has been rebuilt with enhanced custom drivers and a new crossover design that work perfectly together to deliver natural, detailed sound with precision and less distortion. PSB's Alpha Series of loudspeakers offer five models (T20 Tower, P5 Bookshelf, P3 Bookshelf, B1 Bookshelf, and C10 Center) to fit the needs of almost any audio setting. The Alpha Series of speakers offers audiophile sound quality at an affordable price; but not at the expense of appeal, style, and sound.
Note: Every PSB Alphas Series speaker is meticulously tuned and tested at Canada's national research facilities to deliver the most accurate acoustics under the most demanding of listening conditions.
Optional Powered Sub: Add a PSB SubSeries powered subwoofer (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to the Alpha Series loudspeakers for an even more immersive listening experience with bigger bass response.