About the PSB Alpha S8
Turbo-charge music and movies
Turbo-charge music and movies
When I sit down to watch a movie, listen to a song, or play a video game, I look forward to the sonic punch that my powered subwoofer provides. Good bass makes the home entertainment experience a lot of fun — and that's exactly what PSB's Alpha S8 delivers.
Use this compact sub in your stereo or home theater system for clean, hard-hitting bass — all without taking up a ton of space.
The Alpha S8 can be part of a high-quality PSB home theater system, but its clean low frequencies will nicely complement most speakers.
Accurate, musical bass
In my book, a great sub needs to be able to make the floor quake during dinosaur chases and superhero battle scenes, but also accurately reproduce nuanced low frequencies from bass guitars, kick drums, and cellos.
The Alpha S8 uses an 8" front-firing woofer and 150-watt amplifier to do both with authority. The icing on the cake? This sub's design was overseen by PSB founder Paul Barton himself to ensure the best performance possible.
Put a stop to shaking, rattling, and rolling
Quick story: my living room has glass bookshelf and fireplace doors, along with tall windows that line three of its walls. All of these used to rattle like crazy when bass hit during movies. It drove me nuts!
One day I decided that I'd had enough. I bought an isolation platform to decouple my sub from the floor. Voila! Just like magic, the rattling and vibrations instantly disappeared. I even had to dial the sub back because the bass was suddenly stronger.
It continues to be one of the best home theater purchases I have ever made.
- 8" front-firing polypropylene woofer
- 150-watt RMS amplifier (210 watts peak)
- frequency response: 35-150 Hz (±3dB)
- bass-reflex (ported) enclosure with rear-firing port
- variable low-pass crossover (50-150 Hz)
- selectable phase switch (0°, 180°)
- gold-plated RCA line-level inputs
- USB power port (5 volts, 1A) for optional wireless adapter
- auto power on/off
- includes rubber bumpers and spikes
- detachable power cord
- durable MDF cabinet with woodgrain finish
- removable metal grille
- 11-1/2"W x 12-1/2"H x 15-1/4"D
- weight: 21 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years subwoofer, 1 year amplifier
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # ALPHAS8
What's in the box:
- Powered subwoofer
- 5' AC power cord
- 4 Rubber feet
- 4 Spike feet
- 4 Hex-nuts
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Warranty Information
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the PSB Alpha S8
Features & specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||8|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||50-150Hz|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||None|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||150|
|Frequency Response||35-150 Hz|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
8" Polypropylene Woofer: The Alpha S8 powered sub features a specialized long-throw 8" woofer with a textured polypropylene cone, rubber surround, and power magnet assembly for fast response and high excursion. You'll hear deep, accurate bass from both your movie and music soundtracks.
150W Class D Amplifier with DSP: The 8" woofer is powered by a built-in, high efficiency digital amplifier that delivers 150 watts (RMS) / 210W (Peak) of dynamic power for deep bass and musical accuracy. The Class D amplifier utilizes digital signal processing (DSP) to maximize all aspects of performance to deliver the flattest frequency response and powerful bass extension.
Bass Reflex Enclosure: The 8" woofer is housed in a specially-tuned, bass reflex enclosure with a rear-firing slot port for deep, efficient bass. The ported enclosure is constructed of MDF and finished with a black wood-grain vinyl. The enclosure also comes with a magnetic metal grille.
Controls: On the rear-panel of the Alpha S8 powered subwoofer is a Volume Level, Low Pass Crossover, and Phase Switch to tailer its sound to match the other loudspeakers in your system and optimize its performance for your room type.
- Volume Level: The rotary volume knob controls the output level of the powered subwoofer, relative to the volume of the other speakers in the system.
- Low-Pass Crossover: The low-pass crossover adjusts the high-frequency roll-off of signals sent to the subwoofer. The control is continuously variable from 50 Hz to 150 Hz, and allows you to precisely match the subwoofer's bass production with your system's main left & right stereo speakers.
- Phase Switch: The phase switch allows for the adjustment of the phase of the subwoofer in relation to the speakers used in the system; select 0 degrees (in phase) or 180 degrees (out of phase).
Connections: On the back of subwoofer enclosure are LFE/RCA jacks, a USB-A power port, and detachable AC power cord.
- LFE/RCA Jacks: LFE/RCA inputs are provided for connecting your AV receiver or amplifier. You can use a single RCA cable to connect the LFE output of your receiver or amplifier to the LFE/Left RCA input of the powered sub. Since the LFE output is filtered on the receiver or amplifier, the powered sub's variable low-pass filter is bypassed. If your receiver or amplifier is without a dedicated LFE output, but does have preamp outputs, you can use a stereo RCA cable plugged into both left and right RCA inputs of the powered sub. In this case, you will use the powered sub's low-pass crossover.
- USB-A Port: The 5V USB-A port will powere a wireless audio receiver (sold separatey - see Accessories Tab). Plug in a wireless audio receiver at the PSB powered sub's USB port and LFE/RCA jacks, and a wireless audio transmitter at your home receiver's or integrated amplifier's subwoofer output to eliminate the need for running a long subwoofer cable.
- Detachable AC Power Cord: The PSB Alpha S8 comes with a detachable 5' AC power cord that will plug into the back of the powered sub and into an AC wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
Mounting Options: The supplied rubber feet allow for placement on hardwood, tile, laminate, and vinyl flooring. The included spike feet allow for installation on carpeted floors. The rubber and spike feet are adjustable to level up the sub on uneven floors.
- Dimensions With No Feet Installed: 11.5" (w) x 12.5" (h) x 16.25" (d)
- Dimensions With Rubber Feet Installed: 11.5" (w) x 13.125" (h) x 16.25" (d)
- Dimensions With Spike Feet Installed: 11.5" (w) x 13.625" (h) x 16.25" (d)
Placement Options: Follow these guidelines when placing the powered subwoofer in your room.
- The loudest bass output from a subwoofer comes from corner placement. The outward flaring of walls from a corner focuses low frequencies, giving them no place to go but toward the listener. In the case of subwooofers, there is no penalty in overall balance for this maximal bass, since your main speakers can be located elsewhere. In most cases, there should be plenty of bass from corner placement,
- If you are seated in a null spot where sound from the subwoofer is cancelled or diminished by out-of-phase reflections, you will have to move either the subwoofer or your listening position until you get the desired bass. Flipping the phase control 180 degrees sometimes may make a difference, especially if the null is a product of cancellations caused by interaction with low frequencies from your main speakers. If the opposite is happening, where direct and reflected bass waves converge in phase and produce too strong a peak at your listening position, you can change position or change your sub's level control (or possibly the crossover frequency chosen).
- The best method for positioning a subwoofer is to put the subwoofer in your listening chair, then play music with lots of bass through the system (something with steady low frequencies or continuous test tones). Move around the room and note where the bass sounds best; if you place the subwoofer in that location, you should get the same bass performance. This test only works if you have your ears at the same height as where the subwoofer will be, so you may have to get down low. A recommended starting point for the placement of this subwoofer would be in either of the front corners of the room, on either side of the main speakers.
Auto On/Off: The powered subwoofer features a Auto/On Power switch on the back-panel When switched to Auto, the subwoofer is initially in stand-by mode, awaiting the presence of an audio signal. When the signal is received, the subwoofer turns on automatically. When no signal is detected, the sub's amp will automatically turn off after approximately 15 minutes. In the On position, the subwoofer cam be manually turned on or off. A green LED, located on the back-panel, will glow when the subwoofer is active (it will glow red when off).