About the PSB CS 500W
Rock out your custom-installed subwoofer
Rock out your custom-installed subwoofer
If you're running passive subwoofers in your home theater or audio system, the PSB CS 500W is a great choice. This 500-watt power amplifier is designed to drive up PSB's 4-ohm CSIW SUB28 perfectly. It can also be used to power a pair of massive 8-ohm subwoofers.
The CS 500W's built-in digital signal processor (DSP) allows you to optimize your EQ settings, so you can make sure the low end hits exactly the way you want it. If you're using a passive sub from PSB, getting the right sound is even easier, thanks to EQ profiles for specific PSB subs.
The subwoofer amplifier comes with a handy rack mounting kit, with removable ears and feet. The amp's compact size lets it snugly fit into a 1U rack space, making it easy to organize alongside your other equipment. You can start the amp up from standby with automatic signal sensing or link it to other components in your system with a 12-volt trigger. Using the RCA outputs, you can even daisy-chain additional amplifiers — letting you power them all on simultaneously.
A limiter circuit acts as a filter to prevent the amp from pushing a subwoofer outside of its appropriate operating range. This helps keep your equipment safe in the event you get a little too excited with the volume control, and try to drive your subs too hard.
- provides power for passive subwoofers
- delivers 250 watts into 8 ohms
- delivers 500 watts into 4 ohms
- perfect match for PSB's 4-ohm CSIW SUB28
- built-in digital signal processor (DSP)
- includes pre-programmed EQ profiles tailored for specific PSB subwoofers
- power control: front panel, 12-volt trigger, or signal sensing
- sound modes: bypass (flat), music (+1.5 dB at 50 Hz), movie (+3 dB at 30 Hz)
- selection knob on front panel controls menu display functions
- variable crossover: 40-250 Hz
- variable phase: 0-315° (45° increments)
- RCA line-level inputs for connecting to receiver or preamp processor
- left input can connect to LFE output on receiver or preamp processor
- RCA line-level outputs for connecting to additional amplifiers
- dual spring-clip connectors for wiring up to two subwoofers (4-ohm total minimum impedance)
- 12-volt trigger in/out for powering up multiple components simultaneously
- IR input for connecting remote control device
- mini USB service port
Dimensions and warranty:
- 16-15/16"W x 1-3/4"H x 8-15/16"D
- weight: 8.5 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CS 500W
What's in the box:
- Subwoofer amplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- 2 Detachable terminal blocks (pre-installed)
- 4 Feet
- 2 Rack-mount brackets
- 6 Counter-sunk screws
- 4 Pan-head screws
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Information
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the PSB CS 500W
Features & specs
|Number of Channels||1|
|Power Output per Channel (8 ohms)||250|
|Power Output per Channel (6 ohms)||---|
|Power Output per Channel (4 ohms)||500|
|Bridged Power per Channel||0 watts|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Number of Inputs||1|
|Removable Power Cord||IEC 3-prong|
Digital Subwoofer Amplifier: The PSB CS 500W is a Class D subwoofer amplifier that delivers ample power for up to two passive in-wall subwoofers, simultaneously. The CS 500W is rated at 250 watts x 1 channel into 8-ohms or 500 watts x 1 channel into 4-ohms. It makes the perfect companion to PSB's CSIW SUB28 passive in-wall subwoofer.
Built-In DSP: The amplifier's built-in digital signal processor (DSP) lets you adjust the the volume output level, low pass crossover filter, and variable phase adjustment to match your passive in-wall subwoofer. It also provides a variety of EQ Presets for select PSB passive in-wall passive subs, plus different Sound Modes to match your application, source content, or preference. These settings are controlled from a front-panel 3-way knob and displayed on a front-panel LCD.
- Volume Level: Use the volume control to match the output level of the PSB CS 500W and your passive in-wall subwoofer with the rest of your speaker system.
- Low Pass Crossover: The low pass crossover filter (40-250Hz/LFE) allows you to adjust the upper frequency limit of the subwoofer to control the overlap of the subwoofer's upper frequencies and the main speakers' lower frequencies. This results in bass that complements the sound from the main speakers rather than overpowers. Set the low pass crossover filter between 40Hz-250Hz when using the stereo RCA inputs, and set to LFE when using the LFE input of the amplifier.
- Variable Phase: The variable phase control operates over a range from 0 to 315 degrees (in 45 degree steps) and allows you to match the arrival times of the sound waves from the subwoofer and the main speakers. This fine-tuning results in bass that is less muddy or thumpy, but rather smooth and detailed.
- EQ Presets: EQ Presets for select PSB passive in-wall subwoofer include CSIW SUB10, CSIW SUB28, CSW8, or CWS10. There is also a Flat setting for all other brands and models of passive in-wall subwoofers.
- Sound Modes: Sound Modes include Bypass (Reference), Music (+1.5dB Bass Boost @ 50Hz), Movie (+3.5dB Bass Boost @ 30Hz), or Night Mode (Reduces maximum power to 250W and relative sub level by 3DB).
Note: You can lock the DSP controls to prevent accidental changes to these settings.
RCA Inputs/Outputs: The PSB CS 500W subwoofer amplifier is equipped with a stereo RCA input that also serves as an LFE input, plus and stereo RCA output.
- LFE In: If your AV receiver or preamplifier has a LFE or Sub out, you can connect it to the CS 500W's LFE (Left) RCA input. The subwoofer amplifier's low pass crossover should be set to "LFE" when using the LFE (Left) RCA input.
- Stereo In: If your AV receiver or preamplifier does not contain a LFE or Sub out, then you can use the line-level outputs from your receiver or preamp to connect to the stereo RCA inputs of the CS 500W amplifier. The stereo RCA input connection will use the subwoofer amplifier's low pass crossover filter (40Hz-250Hz).
- Stereo Out: There is also a stereo RCA output that can be used to pass the audio signal of the CS 500W amplifier to another subwoofer amplifier in your system. The stereo RCA output is a full-range signal.
Dual Speaker Output Terminal Blocks: The PSB CS 500W is outfitted with two detachable speaker output terminal blocks that allow you to connect up to two passive in-wall subwoofers. You can connect a single 4-ohm passive in-wall subwoofer or two 8-ohm passive in-wall subwoofers. The terminal blocks can accept up to 10AGW speaker wire. The terminal blocks are not compatible with banana plugs, spade-lugs, or pin-connectors.
12V Trigger In/Out: The 12V Trigger In and Output consist of female mono-minijack connections (3.5mm). The 12V Trigger In/Out let you synchronize the subwoofer amplifier's power on/off with other connected components that have 12V trigger in/out connections.
IR Port: The PSB CS 500W is equipped with an IR port for adding an IR receiver or IR control system (sold separately).
Power Control: The Power On/Off of the PSB CS 500W subwoofer amplifier can be controlled from its front-panel, a 12V trigger, or audio sense.
- Front-Panel: The subwoofer amplifier turns on and off using the front-panel power button. It does not turn on or off automatically.
- 12V Trigger: The sub amplifier turns on when a 12V signal is detected and off when a 12V signal is absent from its 12V trigger input.
- Audio Sense: The amplifier turns on when an audio signal is detected at its LFE or stereo RCA inputs. The amp will turn off when no audio signal is detected after 15 minutes.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The PSB CS 500W comes with a detachable 6' IEC 3-prong AC power cord that will need to be plugged into the back of the mono subwoofer amplifier and an AC wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
Mounting Options: The PSB CS 500W subwoofer amplifier can simply be placed on a shelf of an audio rack or a shelf inside and audio cabinet. It can also be mounted into a 1U rack space of an audio rack using the included rack-mount brackets and hardware. The feet and brackets come un-installed and will have to be user installed.
- Dimensions With Feet: 16.9375" (w) x 1.9375" (h) x 10.1875" (d)
- Dimensions With Rack Ears: 18.9375" (w) x 1.6875" (h) x 10.1875" (d)