About the Clarion FZ409
Enjoy your favorite tunes without lugging a bunch of CDs around. Clarion's FZ409 digital media receiver plays the music files stored on your iPod® or thumb drive just connect it to the FZ409's rear USB port and let the good times roll. Or, with an optional adapter, you can set up a separate monitor to entertain your passengers with your favorite clips from your video iPod.
A front panel that's easy to read and easy to use
You won't find any buttons on the FZ409's futuristic faceplate a bright Organic EL display shows track information on its multi-line readout, while touch sensor controls give you access to the receiver's functions. Plus, the controls only display icons relevant to the task at hand, making it a breeze to find the control you're looking for.
This receiver gives you plenty of ways to expand your system. You can connect a satellite radio, MP3 player, or any other portable to the rear auxiliary input. In addition, the FZ409 works with a Clarion satellite radio tuner or CD changer. And Clarion's optional BLT370 Bluetooth® adapter mutes the music when you get a call, so you can carry on the conversation over the car speakers and keep your hands on the wheel.
You'll get plenty of power out of the built-in amplifier, while a bass enhancer and 3-band equalizer allow you to adjust the sound to your taste. Three sets of preamp outputs come in handy if you're adding outboard amplifiers, and you'll appreciate the subwoofer volume control when you're switching from one music genre to another, like from jazz to reggae. Use the built-in high- and low-pass filters to get maximum performance from your speakers and subs.
iPod note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use this adapter to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Clarion stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Clarion, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.
- digital media receiver (no built-in CD player)
- built-in amplifier (18 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- plays MP3, WMA, and AAC music files from external sources
- OEL dot matrix display
- touch sensor operation
- Z-Enhancer Plus (3-band equalizer)
- BBE MP feature adds life to digital music files
- MAGNA BASS EX bass boost
- iPod control: direct connection to USB input for newer iPods
- iPod Video ready with CCA723 adapter (requires an external monitor with an RCA video input)
- compatible with Clarion's Bluetooth adapter, satellite radio
- inputs: rear USB and auxiliary inputs
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (front, rear, subwoofer) subwoofer output has bass level control
Other features and specs:
What's in the box:
- Refurbished USB/MP3/WMA/AAC receiver with 15-amp fuse inserted in chassis
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness
- Brown wire for cellular mute
- Wireless remote control (RCB-176)
- CR2025 Lithium battery
- 2 Radio removal tools
- Owner's Manual
- Warranty sheet
- Installation/Wire Connection Guide
- Sample Systems sheet
- 2 Additional Request pages
Clarion FZ409 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Clarion FZ409
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Both|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||18 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||1.8 volts|
|Display Color||Organic EL|
|Key Button Color||N/A|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||90 Days|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|FM Sensitivity||11 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC|
Overview: The Clarion FZ409 is a multimedia head unit, which allows you to listen to music from USB flash drives, iPod, satellite radio, or an auxiliary audio device. (It does not have a CD slot.) It features a bright OEL (organic electroluminescent) display with a touch sensor interface. It comes with a wireless remote control and also interfaces with many steering wheel controls.
Front Panel: The front panel is flat with no protruding buttons. The control panel consists of eight "touch" buttons with blue backlit icons and two "sliders" for volume and scrolling. The touch buttons respond to touch & release commands and touch & hold commands depending upon the function you want. You can control the sliders by moving your finger up or down the LED column. In the center half of the panel is the black & white, full-dot OEL display. You can change the display to any of three modes: title mode, indicator mode, and clock mode.
Security Code: For added security, you can register a 4-digit security code which has to be entered if the head unit is disconnected from the vehicle's battery.
Sound Adjustments: The FZ409 has several sound adjustment functions:
- Beat EQ: There are 4 Beat EQ sound presets:
- Bass Boost (bass emphasized)
- Impact (bass and treble emphasized)
- Excite (bass, treble, and mid emphasized)
- Custom (3-band parametric EQ):
- You can adjust the level of the bass, mid, and treble independently from -7 to +7
- You can set the center frequencies: Bass (50/100/200), Mid (500, 1k, 2k), Treble (5k, 10k, 15k)
- You can set the Q factor (slope) at 0.7, 1.0, 1.4, or 2.0)
- BBE MP: When listening to compressed audio files, you can activate the BBE MP (Minimized Polynomial Non-Linear Saturation) to restore and enhance the harmonics which are lost through compression. You can set the amount of processing to low, mid, or high.
- M-BEX (Magna Bass Extend): The M-BEX function emphasizes the deep bass frequencies to provide you with a dynamic sound. This circuit boosts bass at an ultra-low frequency of about 50Hz, creating a rich, deep, defined bass rather than the muddy, booming bass of a standard loudness control. The amount of boost is dependent upon the system volume.
- HPF: The built-in High Pass Filter lets you filter out low frequencies from the speaker outputs to reduce distortion. You can set the HPF at 60 Hz, 90 Hz, 120 Hz or Through.
- Subwoofer Control: The head unit has a pair of non-fading subwoofer preouts with a built-in Low Pass Filter. You can set the cutoff frequency to 60 Hz, 90 Hz, 120 Hz, or Through. When the LPF is engaged, you can adjust the subwoofer volume between -6 and +6.
AM/FM Tuner: You can tune to your local FM or AM radio station using manual, seek, or preset tuning.
Preset Stations: You can set 18 FM and 6 AM presets. The Auto Store feature allows you to set the 6 strongest stations as presets in the currently-tuned band.
Preset Titles: Titles up to 10 characters long can be stored in memory for your favorite stations.
ISR: One station can be set in the ISR (Instant Station Recall) memory, and can be accessed at any time, regardless of what source you're currently listening to.
Auxiliary Source: The FZ409 has a 3.5mm minijack auxiliary input for connecting a portable CD or DVD player, MiniDisc, or MP3 player. You can set the input sensitivity to high, medium, or low, as desired.
USB: The unit has a rear-mounted Type A USB port on a 42" pigtail. It is compatible with USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 with transfer rates up to 12 Mbps (full speed). You can play MP3, WMA, and AAC files from a USB Memory Device (flash drive) created with bit rates of 8-320 kbps. The unit will recognize up to 255 files per folder, and up to 512 total folders and 130560 total files.
iPod: You can listen to audio files from your iPod when plugged into the head unit's USB port using the dock connector-to-USB cable that came with your iPod (472USBCBLE), sold separately). You can select digital or analog audio iPod output. You can also select whether you control the iPod from the head unit or from the iPod itself (Simple mode). The Clarion FZ409 is "Made for iPod" compatible and supports the following iPod model features (as of Dec. 2009):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Media Type||Control||Display||Charge|
Note: You can also watch videos from a video-capable iPod when using the optional CCA-723 cable (020CCA723, sold separately) and an external video monitor. Not compatible with OS 4.0. Apple firmware updates may change functionality results.
Bluetooth: With the optional BLT370 Bluetooth Transceiver (020BLT370, sold separately), you can make and receive calls on your Bluetooth-enabled cell phone or play audio files stored on a Bluetooth-enabled audio player. The BLT370 connects to the head unit's 3.5mm auxiliary input jack.
Satellite Radio: The FZ409 is compatible with both Sirius and XM Satellite radio. You can set up to 18 presets in 3 preset bands. You can tune manually, or scan by presets or category.
Sirius: With the Sirius Direct package for Clarion (700SIRCLAR, sold separately) you can listen to Sirius Satellite Radio.
XM: The FZ409 is compatible with the XMDirect² package for Clarion (700XMCLA2, sold separately), however, at this time, no firmware is available to allow you to program the head unit to receive XM programming.
Steering Wheel Remote Ready: The unit also features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit to allow you to keep your vehicle's radio steering wheel remote controls and/or rear seat radio controls when used with the optional SWI-JACK interface adapter (127SWIJACK, sold separately). The SWI-JACK is compatible with over 95% of the vehicles made from 1986 to the present. Compatible vehicles include many Acura, Audi, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Harley Davidson, Honda, Hummer, Hyundai, Infiniti, Isuzu, Jaguar, Jeep, Kia, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Mazda, Mercury, Mini, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Scion, Suzuki, Toyota, and Volkswagen vehicles. Please consult the Crutchfield Vehicle Selector to see if your vehicle is compatible.