About the Oppo BDP-105D Darbee Edition
Oppo keeps raising the bar higher and higher. Never satisfied, they keep finding new ways to add more performance and capability to their highly regarded universal players. Their latest innovation is the BDP-105D Darbee Edition, which offers even better picture quality than the standard player. By incorporating Darbee's enhanced video processing, this player offers increased depth that will make your HDTV's picture look better than ever. Just like the standard edition, the BDP-105D offers audiophile features to go alongside videophile-pleasing performance. Connect other sources to this player's digital inputs and enjoy its extraordinary sound quality, giving this machine an unparalleled level of versatility.
A universal player that does more than ever
The BDP-105D will make the most of virtually any disc you throw at it. 3D and standard Blu-ray movies look amazing. 2D Blu-ray discs and DVDs can even go three-dimensional thanks to the BDP-105D's new 2D-to-3D conversion. Movie soundtracks will reach new heights as this player delivers the latest audio formats like Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD® Master Audio™ with crystal-clear detail. Music will sound fresh and new, especially if you have high-res stereo and multichannel DVD-Audio and SACD discs, which will truly sparkle with the BDP-105D.
But it's much more than a disc player
Thought your A/V receiver was the centerpiece of your home theater? Think again. The BDP-105D is poised to become a powerful multimedia hub for all your digital sources. With dual HDMI inputs as well as optical and coaxial digital inputs, you can run gaming consoles, network streaming devices like Apple TV®, and other digital sources through the BDP-105D for truly brilliant picture and sound. The front-panel HDMI input doubles as a Mobile High-Definition Link (MHL) input for use with compatible smartphones and tablets or the Roku Streaming Stick™ — it's another way to enjoy movies, music and photos in your home theater using this versatile player.
The BDP-105D's digital inputs — optical, coaxial, USB type B, and HDMI — let you take advantage of the superb audio circuitry to enjoy amazing sound from digital sources like an HDTV, computer, game console, Apple TV®, etc. An updated asynchronous USB DAC input supports DSD and double-DSD files (2.8MHz and 5.6MHz resolutions).
Bypass your computer's soundcard for a transcendent performance
Oppo's flagship player can also transform your computer into an audiophile-grade component. The BDP-105D's updated asynchronous USB DAC is now compatible with high-resolution DSD files, decoding them in their native resolution. Almost any uncompressed music file will benefit from this player's outstanding digital-to-analog conversion, for sound quality that rivals any CD and transport combination. You can even listen through the '105D's dedicated headphone amplifier, for DAC and headphone amp performance that by itself would justify this player's price. Of course, there are tons more features that make the BDP-105D a genuine bargain.
Darbee's Virtual Presence™ offers stunning visual depth
Oppo's flagship player is a brilliant choice for serious home theaters that include a large flat-panel TV or projector. Those displays really benefit from a top-notch video source that lets them show their stuff. The BDP-105D features some of the latest and most advanced video circuitry available, including Darbee's Virtual Presence technology, which adds astounding depth and realism to Blu-ray movies. You can even select the amount of processing that takes place, so you can customize the picture to your taste. DVD upconversion yields extraordinary results with your old discs — you'll occasionally be hard-pressed to tell the difference between DVD and Blu-ray. And with 4K upscaling, you'll be ready for the next generation of Ultra High Definition displays.
"If ever a product deserved to be considered the Swiss Army knife of digital media playback, the BDP-105 is the one. Whether you choose it for multi-format disc playback, for network-streaming capabilities, or to use as a DAC at the heart of a computer-audio system, the BDP-105 will consistently serve up levels of sonic refinement and sophistication that belie its modest price. Enthusiastically recommended."
— From Chris Martens' review of the BDP-105 (standard edition) in The Absolute Sound, April, 2013
Uncompromised sound makes this player stand out
While this player's picture quality is stunning, it's the BDP-105D's sonic capabilities that really make it a star. It handles every multichannel music and soundtrack format out there. Its 7.1-channel analog output makes the BDP-105D the ideal companion for older A/V receivers and preamp-processors that lack either HDMI connections or decoding for the latest surround sound formats. If you use the analog outputs, you'll enjoy sound quality that's superior to that of most A/V receivers. Oppo's fanatical approach to sound combines careful engineering with high-quality parts. For example, the player's dual audio DACs are the top model in the acclaimed ESS Sabre DAC family. Both are 8-channel DACs — one is dedicated to multichannel audio, while the other provides a stereo listening experience characterized by vanishingly low distortion and exceptional detail and soundstaging.
Wireless streaming with surprising picture and sound
Need more ways to enjoy movies and music? Connect the BDP-105D's Ethernet port to your home network, or use the included Wi-Fi® adapter and enjoy Internet movie and music streaming with quality that will surprise you. The '105D supports 1080p streaming for Netflix® and VUDU®, as well as 5.1 surround sound for Netflix and 3D for VUDU. For music, there's Pandora® for casual listening and TIDAL's CD-quality streaming service, or try downloading high-res FLAC files and putting them on a thumb drive. Pop it in the front-panel USB drive and you'll be amazed at the lifelike sound. If you own an iPhone®, iPad®, or iPod touch®, be sure to download Oppo's free MediaControlHD app, so you can browse and play songs from connected storage drives without turning on your TV.
Built like a tank
In a world of lightweight Blu-ray players, Oppo's commitment to solid construction is reassuring. The BDP-105D's sturdy drive mechanism and advanced error correction help it sail through discs that cause other players to stumble and stall. One nice extra is two HDMI outputs. That's handy for feeding two displays, like home theaters with both a projector and a flat-panel TV. It's also a great solution if you have an HDMI-equipped receiver that doesn't handle 3D: you can send 3D video to your TV over one HDMI while sending multichannel audio to your receiver with the other. Like the original BDP-105, the BDP-105D is a pleasure to use, with soft-touch controls on the front panel and one of the best backlit remotes we've seen.
Shop our selection of HDMI cables.
- includes Darbee's adjustable Visual Presence technology, which enhances video quality for more depth and realism
- updated asynchronous USB DAC input supports DSD audio in standard rate (2.8MHz) or double rate (5.6MHz)
- plays standard and 3D Blu-ray discs, SACDs, DVD-Audio discs, DVDs, and CDs
- Internet-ready — plays movies and more from Netflix®, VUDU® and YouTube, and music from Pandora® and TIDAL (membership required for Netflix, VUDU, and TIDAL)
- includes wireless adapter for Wi-Fi networking
- streams photos/videos/music from a compatible DLNA-enabled Windows® PC
- BD-Live and BonusView support for added bonus features with compatible discs — includes 1GB of built-in memory for downloadable content
- two ESS Sabre DAC (ES9018) 32-bit audio digital-to-analog converters with jitter reduction
- built-in headphone amplifier for uncompromised sound quality
- newly-designed custom-built toroidal power supply for clean, robust power
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution)
- native DSD playback (.dff and .dfs files) from USB and network storage devices (requires firmware update)
- extensive picture and sound adjustments
- download the free Oppo MediaControl HD app for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch® to browse and play songs from a connected hard drive or network-attached storage device
- illuminated remote control
- plays Region A Blu-ray discs and Region 1 DVDs
- selectable video resolution up to 1080p and 4K (Ultra High Definition) via HDMI output (requires compatible display)
- video upconversion for DVD and streamed video (HDMI only)
- dual-core processor for faster response time
- fanless, ventilated construction for quiet playback
- 2D-to-3D conversion (3D-compatible display required)
- HDMI version 1.4a for 3D video, Deep Color, x.v.Color, High-Bit-Rate Audio, and HDMI-CEC control
- built-in audio decoding for Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, and DTS-HD Master Audio
- outputs high-resolution audio for decoding in your compatible receiver (HDMI connection required)
- dual HDMI audio/video inputs, including front-panel MHL-compatible input for use with tablets and smartphones
- dual HDMI outputs for 3D video capability with non-3D-compatible A/V receivers
- audio outputs include stereo (RCA and balanced XLR), 7.1-channel RCA, and optical and coaxial digital
- 3 digital audio inputs (optical, coaxial and USB) for use with HDTVs, game consoles, computers, and more
- Ethernet port for BD-Live, Internet audio and video streaming, and firmware updates
- 3 USB ports (1 front and 2 rear) for photo/video/music playback
- RS-232 port for automated control systems
- detachable power cord
- 6-ft. "High Speed" rated HDMI cable included
- 4.5-ft. USB cable included
- 16-15/16"W x 4-13/16"H x 14-7/16"D
- weight: 17.3 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee *Some cable boxes, when connected through the BDP-105's HDMI inupts, experience A/V synchronization issues. Oppo continues to develop solutions to this problem with firmware updates.
- MFR # BDP105D/BK
What's in the box:
- Single-disc Blu-ray player
- 5' AC power cord
- 6' HDMI cable
- Remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Wireless-N USB adapter
- USB dock (with attached 57" cable)
- Nylon tote bag
- User Manual
Oppo BDP-105D Darbee Edition reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Oppo BDP-105D Darbee Edition
Features & specs
|Surround Sound Decoding||---|
|4K Ultra HD||No|
|Internet Movie Streaming||Netflix,Vudu,YouTube|
|Built-in Wi-Fi||802.11 b/g/n|
|Smartphone App Control||Yes|
|DVD Video Upconversion||720p, 1080i, 1080p, 4K|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Digital Optical Output||1|
|Digital Coaxial Output||1|
|Analog Audio Outputs||7.1ch/2ch|
|1080p Video Output||Yes|
|Component Video Outputs||None|
Disc Compatibility: The Oppo BDP-105D Blu-ray disc player is compatible with many disc types:
|Disc Type||Disc Description|
|Blu-ray||BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE (DL)|
|DVD||DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, DVD-R (DL), DVD-RW, DVD+R (DL), DVD+RW|
|CD||CD-Audio, SACD, HDCD, CD-R, CD-RW, Kodak Picture CD|
Blu-ray Disc: Blu-ray provides these key features and advantages.
- 1080p Video Resolution: Blu-ray disc delivers full 1080p video resolution to provide pristine picture quality.
- 25GB/50GB Capacity: Blu-ray disc offers up to 5x the capacity of standard DVDs; 25GB for single layer disc and 50GB for dual layer disc.
- 7.1ch Audio: Blu-ray disc provides as many as 7.1 channels of native, uncompressed surround sound for crystal-clear audio entertainment.
- Enhanced Interactivity: Enjoy such capabilities as seamless menu navigation, bonus features, and network/internet connectivity.
- DVD Compatible: Blu-ray disc players enable you to continue to view and enjoy your existing DVD library.
Note: Like DVD, BD uses region codes. The region code on your disc must match the region code on your player, otherwise the disc will not play. The BDP-105D is Blu-ray region A and DVD region 1. Blu-ray Disc uses the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) to prevent unauthorized recording of copyrighted material.
Blu-ray 3D: Blu-ray 3D is the Blu-ray disc video format for 3-dimensional (3D) video playback developed by the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA). Supporting Full HD (1080p), so you can enjoy high quality 3D video. TV and Blu-ray titles are also required to be 3D compatible to enjoy the 3D experience. Adding a 3D capable A/V Receiver will provide a more engaging audio and video consumer experience.
Firmware Updates: As Blu-ray technology continues to evolve, new disc types with enhanced functionality will become available. In order for you to enjoy this new functionality, you will likely be required to update the firmware in your player. These firmware updates will become available for downloading from the Internet via the rear-panel Ethernet terminal. Occasionally, Oppo may release new firmware for the purpose of additional features or product improvements. Firmware updates can be downloaded from the Oppo website via the player's Ethernet connection. This player offers automatic firmware notification.
Note: Visit Oppo's Help and Support site for the latest firmware updates.
DVD-Audio: DVD-Audio is an extension of the highly popular DVD format, distinguished by its capability to deliver high quality multi-channel audio capability previously unavailable in traditional packaged audio media.
SACD: The BDP-105D plays Super Audio CD (SACD) and supports both stereo and multi-channel high resolution audio programs. Blu-ray Players that support Super Audio CD use a technology called Direct Stream Digital (DSD) to convert music into a digital signal that can be stored on a disc. Compared to the traditional PCM method (the technology used for CD), DSD offers a much higher resolution by following more closely the original waveform of music. Users can select whether to output the DSD (Direct Stream Digital) signal in its native format over HDMI or convert it into high resolution PCM. With a frequency response of over 100kHz and a dynamic range over 120dB across the audible frequency range, some 64x higher resolution then CD, Super Audio CD offers music reproduction that reveals details you just can't hear on a normal CD.
HDCD: High Definition Compatible Digital (HDCD) discs let you enjoy expanded dynamic range and improved audio resolution.
AVCHD: AVCHD (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) is a digital video format used to record high definition or standard definition video, using an efficient data compression coding technology. The format is designed to compress video and audio (Dolby Digital or Linear PCM) data, enabling a high definition video signal shot on a digital camcorder and recorded on DVD disc to be played back. The BDP-105D supports AVCHD playback from DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW discs.
DivX Plus HD: The Oppo BDP-105Dsupports DivX Plus HD playback from DVD-R/RW and CD-R/RW discs. The unit supports DivX Plus HD video with a resolution up to 1920 x 1080 pixels.
JPEG Slideshows: The BDP-105D will playback JPEG still image files written to DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, and CD-R/RW discs.
Music File Playback: The Oppo Blu-ray disc player supports playback of AAC, FLAC, MP3, PCM, WAV, and WMA audio files recorded onto DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, and CD-R/RW discs.
PAL/NTSC Conversion: The BDP-105D supports NTSC and PAL systems for both disc playback and video output. It can also convert content of one system for output in another.
Parental Control: Parental Control allows you to set a rating limit based on the age of the viewer, preventing your children from viewing inappropriate material. Playback will stop if the ratings exceed the level you set, and it will require you to enter a 4-digit password before the disc will play back.
Rigid Chassis Construction: Built around a heavy gauge steel chassis, sculptured aluminum faceplate, and center-mounted tray, the BDP-105D is designed to impress as well as to provide a stable base for the highest quality reproduction of your favorite audio/video media. The BDP-105D is also passively cooled, allowing it to run both cool and quiet without the need for internal or external fans.
Qdeo by Marvell: The BDP-105D incorporates Marvell's Kyoto-G2H video processor with the second generation Qdeo technology. Qdeo video processing delivers a truly immersive viewing experience by rendering quiet natural video free of noise and artifacts for all types of content. For high-quality Blu-ray content, the BDP-105D faithfully reproduces the program just as the director intended; for DVD, the up-converted picture quality bridges the visual gap from your current DVD library to Blu-ray discs; for network streaming and user-encoded content at a variety of formats and quality, the BDP-105D offers enhancement options including video noise reduction, compression artifact reduction, intelligent color, contrast, detail and edge enhancements.
Darbee Visual Presence: The Oppo BDP-105D Blu-ray player incorporates Darbee Visual Presence technology to bring added depth and realism to your 2D or 3D video experience. Darbee Visual Presence technology provides greater clarity and increases the perception of depth resulting in a more dynamic, lifelike experience. The amount of processing is adjustable, allowing you to customize the visual enhancement to your particular taste.
HDMI Inputs/Outputs: The Oppo BDP-105D is fitted with dual HDMI outputs and dual HDMI inputs.
- Dual HDMI v1.4a Outputs: The BDP-105D is equipped with two HDMI v.1.4a output ports and offers the most versatile installation options. You do not have to upgrade your A/V receiver to a 3D model in order to enjoy 3D. One HDMI output of the BDP-105D can be connected to a 3D TV and the other can be connected to a pre-3D HDMI (v1.1-v1.3) A/V receiver. For projector users, you can connect one output to a projector for home theater use and the other to a TV for casual viewing. For a multi-room installation the BDP-105D can output audio and video to two 3D or 2D TVs simultaneously. Both HDMI outputs support 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, and 4K video signals. Only HDMI 1 output features the superior Marvel QDEO video processor.
- Dual HDMI Inputs: The BDP-105D provides two HDMI inputs (one on the front-panel and one on the rear-panel) to connect external devices to take further advantage of its excellent audio and video processing functions. Both HDMI input ports are HDMI v1.4 compatible and can accept up to 1080p high-definition video signal, however, due to internal bandwidth limits, the audio signal is up to 6ch/192kHz or 8ch/96kHz PCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, and AAC. The front-panel HDMI input is MHL (Mobile High-definition Link) compatible, which means if it is connected to another MHL-enabled device (like your smartphone) through a MHL cable or adaptor (not included), then this HDMI port is not only capable of accepting high-resolution digital signal, but can also simultaneously charge the connected device.
Notes: Some A/V sync problems may occur when some cable TV boxes are connected via the HDMI IN port (front or back). The Blu-ray player does not feature any analog video inputs or outputs; such as composite, component, or S-video.
4K Up-Scaling: The Oppo BDP-105D further enhances your home theater experience with four times the resolution of Full HD 1080p, by up-scaling all video sources to 4K (3840 x 2160) output resolution.
True 24p Video + DVD 24P Conversion: Many Blu-ray Discs are recorded at 24 frames-per-second (fps), the same frame rate as the original movie's theatrical release. The BDP-105D can faithfully redeliver the original frames using 1080p 24Hz output (compatible display required) for smoother motion and a flicker-free, film-like home theater experience. DVD 24P Conversion allows you to enable 24Hz frame rate conversion for DVD for smoother motion picture experience.
Source Direct Mode: For users who wish to use an external video processor, high-end audio/video receiver or display, the BDP-105D offers a "Source Direct" mode. The original audio/video content on the discs is sent out with no additional processing or alteration. The actual output resolution varies by content:
|Content||Source Direct Output Resolution|
|Most Blu-ray Movies (film source)||1080p or 1080p/24Hz|
|Most Blu-ray TV shows or Concerts (video-source)||1080i|
|SACD and DVD-Audio||1080p|
3D-Ready: The Oppo BDP-105D lets you enjoy 3D Blu-ray disc movies in full HD 1080p. There are three 3D output settings.
- Auto: Automatically outputs 3D if supported both by the disc content and the display. The player automatically checks for the existence of 3D content on the disc and the 3D compatibility of the TV or projector. If both are qualified, the player sends 3D video from its HDMI output terminals, otherwise only 2D video is sent out.
- Forced: Always outputs 3D video format for 3D Blu-ray discs. You might experience a black screen (no video output) if your TV is not 3D compatible.
- Off: Always outputs 2D video format, even when 3D video exists on the disc. This guarantees the video quality if your TV is not 3D compatible, or some necessary part (such as the 3D glasses) is missing.
Note: 3D viewing requires compatible 3D content, 3D-ready HDTV, 3D emitter and glasses, and a high-speed HDMI cable (supporting at least 10.2 Gbps) connection.
2D-to-3D Conversion: Take your standard DVD, Blu-ray, and other video content to the next dimension by converting them into 3D with the simple press of a button. The BDP-105D can also adjust the depth and eye convergence levels to suit your personal preference.
3D TV Size: This option applies to 3D mode, to help the player adjust the 3D image to the screen size of your HDTV for better visual quality.
x.v.Color: x.v.Color reproduces a wider range of color than the HDTV standard, showing almost all of the colors that the human eye can detect. Currently there is no x.v.Color software available on Blu-ray, but the BDP-105D is ready to take advantage of x.v.Color discs when they become available.
Deep Color: The HDMI output supports Deep Color, increasing the number of bits available for transmission, meaning more colors are displayed. The BDP-105D can provide 4,096 shades of each of the three primary colors, for a total of 68.7 billion possible colors. This results in greater color fidelity, smooth tonal transitions, and ultra-fine gradations between colors. It also enables more shades of gray, for higher contrast ratio.
Aspect Ratio and Zoom Modes: The BDP-105D supports multiple levels of aspect ratio control and image zooming. Users can watch a movie in its original aspect ratio, fit to the full screen, or zoom in to remove the black bars on some titles. For users with a 2.35:1 CIH (Constant Image Height) display system, the player's zoom modes include a vertical stretch mode to work nicely with an anamorphic lens. You can choose from the following Aspect Ratio and Zoom Modes:
- Aspect Ratio Modes: 16:9 Wide, and 16:9 Wide/Auto
- Zoom Modes: 1:1 (no zooming), Stretch/Compress, Full Screen, or Under Scan
Subtitle Shift: For customers using a 2.35:1 "Constant Image Height" video projection system, subtitles may get cut off because they are positioned outside of the active video area. The Subtitle Shift feature can be useful to these customers. The player can shift subtitles up or down so they are displayed within the active video area.
Advanced Picture Control: Users can have fine control of brightness, contrast, saturation, hue, sharpness, noise reduction, color, and contrast enhancements. The player can remember and apply three custom picture control modes to suit a variety of viewing conditions and content types.
Bonus View: The Bonus View feature provides picture-in-picture capability with select Blu-ray Disc titles. You can view addition content (such as director/actor commentary) in a small display window while the movie is playing.
High-Quality Sound: Thanks to the high performance DAC chips, the toroidal power supply, high quality parts, and engineering, the Oppo BDP-105D offers a very detailed sound with an extremely low noise floor and distortion. You will hear details from your music that you have missed before.
Sabre³² Reference Audio DAC: The DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter) is one of the most important components for digital audio playback. The Sabre³² Reference ES9018 from ESS Technology is the world's best performing 32-bit audio DAC solution targeted for high-end consumer applications and professional studio equipment. With the ESS patented 32-bit Hyperstream DAC architecture and Time Domain Jitter Eliminator, the Sabre³² Reference DAC delivers an unprecedented DNR (Dynamic Range) of up to 135dB and THD+N (Total Harmonic Distortion plus Noise) of 120dB; the industry's highest performance level that will satisfy even the most demanding audio enthusiast. The BDP-105D uses two ES9018 DAC chips; one for the 7.1-channel output, and another for the dedicated stereo output.
Toroidal Power Supply: A toroidal power transformer offers superior power efficiency and much lower exterior magnetic fields over traditional laminated steel core transformers. The BDP-105D's toroidal linear power supply provides a very clean and robust power source to the critical audio components.
Analog Outputs: The Oppo BDP-105D is fitted with unbalanced stereo RCA outputs, XLR balanced stereo outputs, and 7.1ch RCA analog outputs.
- Unbalanced Stereo RCA Output: The BDP-105D features a dedicated 2-channel analog RCA output with specially optimized ES9018 DAC and output driving stages.
- XLR Balanced Stereo Output: The balanced output features a true differential signal path all the way from the DAC to the 3-pin XLR connector. By transmitting a pair of differential signals, the balanced output provides better common-mode noise rejection and improves signal quality.
- 7.1Ch Analog Output: Individual analog 7.1ch surround RCA outputs are ideal to connect to a 7.1ch or 5.1ch surround sound system. Powered by the ES9018 Sabre³² Reference DAC, the BDP-105D delivers an incredible and immersive multi-channel sound stage.
Digital Outputs: For simple and easy connection to more traditional A/V receivers, the BDP-105D features both optical and coaxial outputs for digital audio. The optical and coaxial digital inputs support 48k LPCM, 96k LPCM, 192k PCM, and Bitstream (Dolby Digital/DTS). Due to bandwidth limitations, high resolution audio formats such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, and DTS-HD Master Audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. A reduced resolution version of the same audio track will be output instead.
Digital Inputs: The Oppo BDP-105D can function as a dedicated DAC (digital-to-analog converter) and process external digital audio signals with its internal Sabre³² Reference DAC. Three digital audio inputs (Optical/Coaxial/USB) allow you to connect external audio devices. The processed analog audio is output through the player's stereo RCA, XLR and analog multichannel output terminals.
- Optical/Coaxial: The BDP-105D supports up to 2ch/96kHz PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS, and AAC audio signals through its optical and coaxial digital audio inputs.
- USB (type-B): The BDP-105D supports up to 2ch/192kHz PCM audio signals through it USB (type-B) port. To utilize the USB (type-A) port with your Windows computer (XP/Vista/7), a software driver will need to be installed on your computer. The driver is available online at Oppo's BDP-105D Support Page. No software driver is required for Mac computers.
Digital Audio Formats: The Blu-ray player's HDMI output is capable of multi-channel bitstream (Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital, and DTS) and multi-channel PCM output. The optical and coaxial digital outputs pass either Dolby Digital or DTS bitstream, or 2-channel PCM.
- Dolby TrueHD: Dolby TrueHD delivers lossless studio master quality audio designed specifically for high definition entertainment. The BDP-105D supports bit-stream output of Dolby TrueHD via its HDMI 1.4a output. It can also internally decode Dolby TrueHD into LPCM and output via HDMI or the 7.1ch analog audio output terminals. Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus audio formats are also supported.
- DTS-HD Master Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio delivers an auditory experience that matches the lifelike images of high-definition video with up to 7.1ch that are bit-for-bit identical to the studio master. The BDP-105D supports bit-stream output of DTS-HD Master Audio. It can also internally decode DTS-HD Master Audio and output via HDMI or the 7.1ch analog audio output terminals. DTS-HD High Resolution Audio and DTS Digital Surround are also supported.
Pure Audio Mode: You can enjoy higher quality music audio by turning off the video processing and output. The Pure Audio mode reduces any potential interference between the video and audio signals.
Note: Because HDMI carries audio together with video, the HDMI video signal cannot be completely turned off. A black screen is transmitted instead to minimize any potential interference.
Audio Format Chart:The following chart provides a reference to what type of audio signal can be expected (when Secondary Audio is off):
|Source Format||HDMI Output||Coaxial/Optical Output||Analog Multi-Channel Output|
|LPCM 2ch||LPCM 2ch||LPCM 2ch||LPCM 2ch||LPCM 2ch||2ch|
|LPCM 5.1ch||LPCM 5.1ch||LPCM 5.1ch||LPCM 2ch||LPCM 2ch||5.1ch|
|LPCM 7.1ch||LPCM 7.1ch||LPCM 7.1ch||LPCM 2ch||LPCM 2ch||7.1ch|
|Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital||LPCM 5.1ch||Dolby Digital||LPCM 2ch||5.1ch|
|Dolby Digital Plus||Dolby Digital Plus||LPCM up to 7.1ch||Dolby Digital||LPCM 2ch||up to 7.1ch|
|Dolby TrueHD||Dolby TrueHD||LPCM up to 24-bit/192kHz 7.1ch||Dolby Digital||LPCM 2ch||up to 7.1ch|
|DTS||DTS||LPCM up to 7.1ch||DTS||LPCM 2ch||up to 5.1ch|
|DTS-HD High Resolution||DTS-HD High Resolution||LPCM up to 7.1ch||DTS||LPCM 2ch||up to 7.1ch|
|DTS-HD Master Audio||DTS-HD Master Audio||LPCM up to 24-bit/192kHz 7.1ch||DTS||LPCM 2ch||up to 7.1ch|
ARC (Audio Return Channel): Audio Return Channel (ARC) is a feature introduced in HDMI v1.4 which allows you to send digital audio signals from the television back to the player or your receiver. Instead of listening through the TV speakers, ARC allows the sound to be processed and produced by your home theater audio system.
Direct Stream Digital (DSD) Encoding: The Super Audio CD standard is based on Direct Stream Digital (DSD) technology, a 1-bit system with a digital sampling frequency 64x that of conventional audio CD's 2,822,400 samples per second. Mixed with as many of the original frequencies as possible, the audio information audible for human ears sounds much more natural than CD. The DSD bitstream can be output via HDMI or the multi-channel output.
Down Mix Mode: Down mix is the process of converting multi-channel audio to less number of channels. For example, converting a 5.1ch source to stereo, or converting a 7.1ch source to 5.1ch. Down mixing allows the audio output from the player to match the exact number of speakers available in your home theater. The following down mix modes are available.
- LT/RT: Left Total/Right Total. The center and surround channels are mixed into the two front channels according to the LT/RT matrix. A Dolby Pro Logic receiver will decode the two-channel audio into surround audio.
- Stereo: This mode down-mixes multi-channel audio to 2-channel stereo output. For original stereo content the output will not change. For original multi-channel content the surround and center channels will be mixed with the left and right front channels. Recommended for use with TV sets or stereo receiver/amplifiers.
- 5.1Ch: This mode enables 5.1ch decoded audio output. The number of actual output channels depends on the disc. If the source content has more channels, the surround back channels will be mixed into the surround channels.
- 7.1Ch: This mode enables 7.1ch decoded audio output. The number of actual output channels depends on the disc. For 6.1ch contents, the left and right surround back speakers will both output the same surround back audio channel.
Speaker Configuration: In the Speaker Configuration menu you can configure speaker settings such as speaker distance, speaker size, crossover frequency, and trim level.
- Test Tone: Test tone is a special group of artificially-created sounds that are used to test your audio speaker system and help to identify any wiring faults.
- Speaker Size: The speaker size parameter sets bass filtering
control for the speakers. The options are:
- Large: Bass frequencies are passed to the speakers.
- Small: Bass frequencies are not passed to the speakers to reduce possible distortion. If the subwoofer is available, bass frequencies are redirected to the subwoofer.
- On (for subwoofer only): Specifies that a subwoofer is available
- Off: Speaker for the corresponding position does not exist. Audio for the missing speaker is redirected to other speakers or discarded if redirection is not possible.
- Crossover: When a speaker size is set to "Small", bass information below the selected crossover frequency (40/60/80/90/100/110/120/150/200/250Hz) is not passed to the speaker to reduce possible distortion; and if a subwoofer is available, the bass information will be redirected to the subwoofer.
- Speaker Distance: The speaker distance parameters set delay control for the corresponding audio channel. The delay is used to compensate for the audio time difference caused by the placement of speakers. The speaker distance can be set from 0 to 60'.
- Trim Level: The speaker trim level parameters sets the volume of each individual channel. The trim level can be set to +/- 10dB in 0.5dB increments. Channel trim is generally not required since most A/V receivers have the capability to adjust.
Note: Speaker Configuration applies to the multi-channel analog audio outputs only. All digital bitstream and LPCM outputs are unaffected by these settings.
Dynamic Range Control (DRC): DRC can smooth out the sonic peaks and valleys common with wide-range digital audio. Enabling DRC may make low level audio more audible during low-level listening. The Dynamic Range Compression is applied on the analog audio output; it also works on the digital audio output (HDMI, Coaxial and Optical) when the audio format is set to PCM.
Headphone Output: The Oppo BDP-105D features a front-panel 1/4" headphone jack for connecting a set of headphones, so you can listen to your music privately. The headphone output's volume can be adjusted within the unit's on-screen menu.
Wireless or Wired Network Connection: Using the included wireless-N adapter or the built-in Ethernet (RJ-45) port, you will be able to interact with BD-Live content, watch instant streaming programs from online providers (such as Netflix/Vudu/Pandora/YouTube), playback contents stored on your home network, and keep the BDP-105D up-to-date with firmware releases to ensure maximum Blu-ray compatibility.
Network Media Sharing: The Oppo BDP-105D can remotely play back music, photo, and video files stored on your Windows PC or NAS (Network Attached Storage) that are connected to the same home network. Your Windows PC or NAS must be DLNA certified or SMB/CIFS compatible.
- Supported Audio Files: AAC, AIFF, ALAC, DSD128 (2.8/5.6Hz), FLAC, MP3, PCM, WAV, and WMA
- Supported Video Files: AVI, DivX, MKV, MPEG, and WMV
- Supported Photo Files: JPEG, GIF, and PNG
Online Entertainment Services: You can instantly watch movies and listen to internet radio from select online video and music service providers.
- Video Services: Online video services include -
- Vudu: Vudu lets you stream thousands of movies instantly the day-and-date they are released on DVD/Blu-ray in stunning 1080p/5.1ch audio. You pay per movie, with no monthly subscription. Service available in the United States only.
- Netflix (5.1ch): With more than 20 million members in the United States and Canada, Netflix is the world's leading Internet subscription service for enjoying movies and TV shows. The Blu-ray player supports up to 5.1ch audio streaming from Netflix. For $7.99 a month, Netflix members can instantly watch unlimited movies and TV episodes streamed over the Internet. Netflix is available in the United States and Canada.
- CinemaNow: CinemaNow is a digital entertainment service that offers instant access to an extensive library of premium video content for rental or purchase, including new release movies and TV shows, with no subscription required.
- Film Fresh: Film Fresh (by RoxioNow) offers thousands of online movies and TV episodes for you to download and instantly watch. No subscription necessary. You can rent movies for $2.99 or purchase movies for $9.95.
- YouTube Leanback: YouTube Leanback is a new way to watch YouTube videos on your TV. YouTube Leanback has been formatted and optimized specifically for TV viewing. With simple controls and full screen viewing, Leanback makes watching videos on YouTube as effortless as watching TV.
- Music Services: Online music services include -
- Pandora Internet Radio: Pandora is an online automated music recommendation and Internet Radio service. You can create your own personalized radio stations. You can then sort tracks within these radio stations. You can even skip up to 6 tracks that are being played back within 1 hour. Pandora is only available in the United States.
- Rhapsody: Rhapsody is a streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) that allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.
- Tidal: Tidal will be available through a firmware update. Tidal has over 40 million songs in its catalog. The service offers high-fidelity CD sound quality. Tidal costs either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels come with the same access to exclusive content, but the $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound.
- Picasa: The Blu-ray player lets you connect to your Picasa account and provides online photo viewing and sharing capability.
Note: Online entertainment services requires a home network with a connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended (10 Mbps for HD content). Video quality and picture size vary and are dependent upon broadband speed and delivery by content provider. Online content may require additional fees and/or PC registration. Available online content may change without notice.
BD-Live: BD-Live is a collection of online interactive features that content providers may include with a Blu-ray Disc movie to enhance your enjoyment of that movie, providing you a compelling new world of extended interactivity. BD-Live includes access to studio-specified Internet sites that provide you the ability to, for example, download current movie trailers or other exclusive content, play movie related games, enhance the content of their disc, chat with other viewers, play games with other BD-Live connected players, and much more. Blu-ray players and movies must both support BD-Live in order to use the technology.
Triple USB (type-A) Ports: The Oppo BDP-105D Blu-ray Disc Player is equipped with three USB ports (1 front/2 rear). The player also includes an external USB dock for easier connection. You can use the USB ports to plug in a USB drive for audio, video, and photo playback. The USB ports are rated to provide 5V and 1000mA (maximum) to power a USB drive; that is sufficient for USB (MSC) thumb drives and flash memory card readers, a USB hard drive may require an external power supply. Supported USB drives can be formatted with the FAT (File Allocation Table), FAT32, or NTFS (New Technology File System) file system.
- Supported Audio Files: AAC, AIFF, ALAC, DSD128 (2.8/5.6Hz), FLAC, MP3, WAV, and WMA
- Supported Video Files: AVCHD, AVI, DivX, MKV, MPEG, and WMV
- Supported Photo Files: JPEG, GIF, PNG
Note: USB devices such as MP3 players, digital cameras, and mobile phones are not compatible. Not compatible with iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
Start Up/Play Back Time: The Oppo BDP-105D Blu-ray player has a start-up time of approximately 16.1 seconds. It takes approximately 25.7 seconds for a Blu-ray disc to begin playback.
Note: The Start Up/Play Back Time tests were started with the Blu-ray player initially turned off and in standby mode. The Start Up Time test was stopped when the player's Home Menu screen appeared. The Play Back Time test was stopped when the Blu-ray disc began playback.
Gracenote MusicID and VideoID: Music and Video recognition technology and related data are provided by Gracenote. Gracenote is the industry standard in music and video recognition technology and related content delivery. By connecting to Gracenote's global media database over the Internet, the BDP-105D can offer an enriched playback experience by displaying Cover Art, Title, Artist, Genre and other media information for CD, DVD, Blu-ray and a wide range of digital media files. For more information visit www.gracenote.com.
Memory and Automatic Resume: The player automatically remembers the current position when playback is interrupted. Operations such as Stop, Open/Eject, or turning Power off will cause the player to save the current playing position. The position is memorized even after turning off the unit or changing the disc. When the next time the disc with a memorized playing position is played back, the player will recognize the saved playing position. Playback will automatically resume from this saved position. The player can remember playback position for up to 5 discs. When the sixth disc is memorized, the oldest one is replaced.
Note: Some Blu-ray Discs do not support resuming and will always play from the beginning.
Display Dimmer: The Blu-ray player lets you control the display intensity of the front-panel Vacuum Fluorescent Display. You can choose Standard, Dim, or Off.
Screen Saver: The screen saver is designed to minimize burn-in concerns for plasma and CRT display devices. Video output will be turned off after 3 minutes of inactivity.
Wireless Remote Control: The BDP-105D comes with a fully back-lit remote control for ease of use in dark home theaters. With its ergonomic button layout and clear labeling, operating the Blu-ray Disc player is easy. It even offers dedicated buttons to access Netflix and Vudu on-line movie services.
HDMI CEC: HDMI Consumer Electronics Control (HDMI CEC) simplifies your home theater by allowing a single remote control to operate multiple devices through HDMI connection.
Oppo Remote Apps: Oppo offers two free Apps for controlling the BDP-105D with a compatible mobile device. The Oppo MediaControl app lets you completely control the player with your iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, or Android device. The app lets you browse media libraries, control playback of media, and turn the player on and off. If you just need a simple remote control app without the media playback features, you can download the Oppo Remote app for iOS or Android devices. The Blu-ray player and your compatible mobile device must be connected to the same home network.
Note: The Blu-ray player may require a firmware update to be compatible.
External IR: The BDP-105D features a 3.5mm IR input. If the player is to be installed in an equipment cabinet where direct line-of-sight is not available for the remote control you can purchase an external IR Remote Sensor (sold separately) and plug it into the IR input. Then place the sensor head at a location where there is direct line-of-sight to ensure reliable operation.
RS-232C Port: The BDP-105D has an RS-232C control port and can be integrated into most custom home theater control systems.
10 questions already asked