About the Oppo UDP-205
The best 4K picture meets high-resolution sound
The best 4K picture meets high-resolution sound
I have a lot to say about the Oppo UDP-205 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player. But in many ways, this 22-pound beast of a machine speaks for itself. If you want to maximize the picture on your 4K Ultra HD TV picture and the sound in your high-end home theater, it is hard to look past this heavy-duty, state-of-the-art player.
This model offers the same top-of-the line video performance you get from Oppo's UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player — a bona fide customer favorite. But you also get several more connection options and a super-premium audio experience.
Built like a tank
The first thing you notice about the Oppo UDP-205 is the sheer size. It features a double-layered metal chassis with a brushed aluminum front panel, and it sits on a solid foundation of four machined metal feet. This practically eliminates vibration to keep the player's internal circuitry safe and its audio performance uncompromised.
A look at the advanced circuitry and hefty power supply found inside the Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player.
Pure power and "fan-less" ventilation
A look under the hood shows why the vitals are worth protecting. Oppo has separated the power supplies for the digital and analog circuitry to avoid any signal interference. See that huge hockey-puck-shaped part? That's a custom-built toroidal transformer that provides clean power to the analog audio circuitry.
With all that extra power, you might be worried about overheating. Don't fret. Oppo's engineers have strategically designed the ventilation system so that the internal components stay cool — without the use of a noisy fan.
Perhaps the best 4K video processor available
The Oppo UDP-205 Oppo uses the same customized quad-core 4K video decoder/processor as the UDP-203. You'll be able to take full advantage of all the 3840 x 2160 pixels offered by 4K Blu-ray, along with the extended color range that makes the best 4K images look so rich and gorgeous. There's also a higher level of fine-tuning and tweaking available than with other 4K players, so you have full control over the picture on your screen.
Ready for current and future HDR standards
Ultra HD Blu-ray discs with HDR (High Dynamic Range) offer the best picture available today. HDR allows compatible TVs to display extremely bright and dark black picture content together within the same image. It's incredibly striking.
Now, not all 4K Blu-ray movies offer HDR, but the Oppo UDP-205 is ready for any that do. The player not only supports the required HDR 10 format, but will also support the more sophisticated Dolby Vision™ format. This dynamic system can adjust brightness and color levels on a scene-by-scene basis.
A top-of-the-line music player
Two 8-channel ESS Sabre Pro DACs help ensure your tunes sound their best, whether high-resolution downloads or lesser-quality music files. These DACs are even better than the one used in the UDP-203 — which is certainly no slouch itself when it comes to audio.
For music, you can play CDs or SACDs, connect a hard drive or thumb drive to one of three USB ports, or play tunes from a networked computer or music server. You can even connect your laptop to the asynchronous USB Type-B input to bypass the computer's internal DAC.
Along with the outputs, Oppo included several digital inputs — optical, coaxial, USB type B, and HDMI.
Why we're big Oppo fans
Oppo is not exactly a household name, but the company is well-known among audiophiles and serious music fans. Crutchfield Editor — and local guitar legend — Charlie Pastorfield told me that adding an Oppo Blu-ray player to his home system "really dialed in the stereo imaging.”
"You know the 60's band The Left Banke?" he said, "I've listened to their CD a lot, but when I popped it in the Oppo, the lead singer sounded as if he was standing dead-center in front of me...really focused."
He also noticed new details on recordings he'd heard several times over the years:
“I have this Moby Grape live album,” he said, “and after one of the songs, the entire band lets out this big laugh. I figured it was an inside joke that didn't get picked up on mic. Well, I'm playing the CD on the Oppo, and I can hear the drummer drop his stick on the rim. It makes the faintest of "clanking" sounds. Then — for the first time — I hear him yell out a curse word. I laughed right along with the band.”
- plays Ultra HD Blu-ray discs, 3D and standard Blu-ray discs, SACDs, DVD-Audio, DVDs, CDs and rewriteable discs
- full 4K resolution video for use with Ultra HD TVs
- HDR (High Dynamic Range) for extended picture contrast and brightness on compatible TVs
- built-in Wi-Fi for streaming video and music from networked storage devices or computers
Audio Performance Features:
- double-layered metal chassis and brushed aluminum front panel
- rigid foundation and stable, machined feet help cancel vibration
- strategically designed and stress-tested "fan-less" ventilation system keeps internal circuitry cool
- two 8-channel ESS Sabre Pro DAC (ES9038PRO) 32-bit audio digital-to-analog converters with jitter reduction
- asynchronous USB Type B input for bypassing your computer's internal DAC
- separate power supplies for analog and digital circuitry
- custom-built toroidal power supply provides clean, robust power to analog audio circuitry
- built-in high-performance headphone amplifier connected directly to ESS Sabre Pro DAC
- high-precision HDMI clock for audio jitter reduction (on audio-only HDMI output)
- balanced XLR outputs for connecting to high-performance amplifiers
Audio/Video Playback Features:
- customized MediaTek quad-core video processor for enhanced picture with wide color range
- video upconversion for standard Blu-ray, DVD, and digital sources (HDMI only)
- selectable video resolution up to 3840 x 2160 pixels
- 4K video upscaling for standard Blu-ray and DVDs
- supports lower resolutions when used with non-4K TVs
- HDR formats:
- supports HDR10 format and Dolby Vision™
- built-in audio decoding for Dolby® Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS®, and DTS-HD Master Audio
- can pass Dolby Atmos and DTS:X soundtracks when HDMI output is set to "bitstream"
- plays high-resolution digital music via USB storage device or networked device
- up to 32-bit/192kHz resolution PCM and native multi-channel DSD
Connections & General Info:
- HDMI 2.0 input for Apple® TV or 4K streaming devices like the Roku Premiere or Chromecast Ultra
- supports HDR-10 pass-through with firmware update
- 2 HDMI outputs for separating audio and video signals:
- HDMI video output is HDMI 2.0a (connected 4K TV and/or receiver must have an HDCP 2.2-compatible HDMI input to view 4K content, and must have HDMI 2.0a to support HDR)
- HDMI 1.4 audio output (does not output video signal) with high-precision HDMI clock for audio jitter reduction
- audio outputs include stereo (RCA and balanced XLR), 7.1-channel RCA, and optical and coaxial digital
- 7.1 analog output can be down-mixed as a Zone 2 stereo source
- 3 digital audio inputs (optical, coaxial and USB Type B)
- 3 USB 3.0 Type A ports (1 front and 2 rear) for photo/video/music from USB thumb drive or external hard drive
- Ethernet port for wired network connection
- RS-232C port for automated control systems
- illuminated remote control
- 6-foot high-speed HDMI cable
- detachable power cord
- 16-15/16"W x 4-15/16"H x 12-1/8"D
- weight: 22 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- this player accepts Region A Blu-ray discs and Region 1 DVDs
- does not support video streaming apps like Netflix®, Amazon Instant®, Hulu®, or YouTube®
- MFR # UDP-205
What's in the box:
- Blu-ray player
- 63" AC power cord
- Remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 69" HDMI cable
- User Manual
Oppo UDP-205 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Oppo UDP-205
Features & specs
|Surround Sound Decoding||
Dolby Digital Plus |
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
DTS-HD Master Audio
|4K Ultra HD||Yes|
|Internet Movie Streaming||No|
|Built-in Wi-Fi||802.11 b/g/n/ac|
|Smartphone App Control||No|
|DVD Video Upconversion||4K|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Digital Optical Output||Yes|
|Digital Coaxial Output||Yes|
|Analog Audio Outputs||7.1ch, 2ch|
|1080p Video Output||Yes|
|Component Video Outputs||None|
Optimized Disc Loader: The UDP-205's disc loader features an optimized, high-precision, well-balanced laser mechanism that delivers super fast disc loading, compatibility with a wide range of optical media, and strong error detection and correction to ensure error free physical media playback.
- Start Time: 10.7 seconds (the Start Time test began with the player initially turned off and ended when the player's Home Menu screen appeared)
- Playback Time: 20.3 seconds (the Playback Time test began with the player initially turned off and ended when the loaded disc began playback)
Multiple Disc Formats: The design of the UDP-205 focuses on quality playback and universal compatibility with multiple disc and file formats. In addition to the latest UHD Blu-ray, the UDP-205 supports regular Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, DVD, DVD-Audio, SACD, audio CD, and more.
|Disc Type||Disc Description|
|Blu-ray||UHD-BD, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE, BD-3D|
|DVD||DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, DVD-R (DL), DVD-RW, DVD+R (DL), DVD+RW|
|CD||CD-Audio, SACD, CD-R, CD-RW, Kodak Picture CD|
Note: The UDP-205 supports NTSC and PAL systems for both disc playback and video output.
Ultra HD Blu-Ray: Ultra HD Blu-ray provides these key features and advantages over standard Blu-ray.
- 4K Resolution: Ultra HD Blu-ray supports resolutions of up to 3840 x 2160 pixels. That's 4x as many pixels as Full HD televisions, and 27x as many pixels as Standard Definition televisions
- Wider Color Gamut: Ultra HD Blu-ray can display over 75% of the visible color spectrum; this is known as "Wider Color Gamut". That's more than twice the color range of current HDTVs.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range): Ultra HD Blu-ray also supports High Dynamic Range (HDR) video. Dynamic range is the difference between the brightest whites and the darkest blacks on screen. HDR means that scenes with high contrast can be shown with much greater clarity and detail.
- Smooth, Realistic Motion: Ultra HD Blu-ray supports progressive frame rates of 24, 25, 50 and 60 frames a second, enabling smoother, more realistic motion.
- Greater Capacity & Speed: Ultra HD Blu-ray Discs will be available in a dual layer 66 gigabyte disc and a triple layer 100 gigabyte disc. Ultra HD Blu-ray can stream video up to a maximum of 108/128 Mbps for 66Gb and 100Gb discs.
- Backward Compatible: Ultra HD Blu-ray players will play all current Blu-ray Disc & DVD content. When connected to a current HDTV television, the player will output a standard HDTV signal. Ultra HD Blu-ray players will support existing Blu-ray media, as well as provide down conversion and HDR to SDR conversion functionality to match the connected television's capabilities.
Note: Like standard BD, Ultra HD Blu-ray discs use region codes. The region code on your disc must match the region code on your player, otherwise the disc will not play. This Blu-ray player is region A and DVD region 1. Blu-ray Disc uses the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) to prevent unauthorized recording of copyrighted material.
USB Inputs: The OPPO UDP-205 is outfitted with a rear-panel USB-B input, two rear-panel USB-A 3.0 inputs, and one front-panel USB-A 2.0 input.
- USB-B Input: The UDP-205's rear-panel USB-B port allows you to connect your Windows PC or Mac computer for playback of up to 2ch/768kHz PCM and DSD512 music files. To utilize the USB-B input from a Windows computer (XP, Vista, Windows 7, 8, 10), a software driver needs to be installed on the computer. The driver is available online at UDP-205 support page on the OPPO Digital website. No software driver is required for Mac computers.
- Triple USB-A Inputs: The UDP-205 is equipped with two USB (type-A) 3.0 ports on the back and one USB (type-A) 2.0 port on the front to connect a USB MSC (Mass Storage Class) device, like a USB thumb or flash drive. You can play video, music and photos from compatible USB MSC devices formatted in FAT (File Allocation Table), FAT32, exFAT or NTFS (New Technology File System). The USB ports are rated to provide a maximum of 5V/1A power to your connected USB drive. You can also add background music to the photo slideshow. To do so, you will need to prepare digital music files. The music files can be stored on the same disk as the photos, or on a different USB drive.
Compatible Audio/Video/Photo Files: The OPPO UHD Blu-ray disc player supports playback of the following audio/video/photo files recorded on BD-R/RE, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, and CD-R/RW discs; plus compatible USB memory devices.
- Supported Audio Files: AAC, AIFF, ALAC, DSD64, FLAC, MP3, WAV, and WMA
- Supported Video Files: AVCHD, AVI, MKV, MPEG, and WMV
- Supported Photo Files: JPEG
Firmware & Software Updates: As Blu-Ray technology continues to evolve, new disc types with enhanced functionality will become available. In order for you to enjoy this new functionality, you will likely be required to update the firmware in your player. These firmware updates can be downloaded to the player via USB, disc, or network.
Quad-Core Video Processor: The UDP-205 combines the latest technology with OPPO's many years of experience in delivering high quality video and audio. A customized quad-core video decoder/processor integrates OPPO's advanced video decoding, processing and optimization expertise. OPPO has once again teamed with MediaTek to produce and manufacture a specialized 4K UHD Blu-ray decoder SoC - the quad-core OP8591, which offers the most advanced image decoding and processing technology available for 4K UHD Blu-ray, Blu-ray, DVD and user generated media formats.
HDMI Connectivity: The OPPO UDP-205 is outfitted with two HDMI outputs (1 audio/video & 1 audio only), plus a HDMI input.
- Dual HDMI Outputs (1 AV/1 Audio only): The player features two HDMI outputs - an HDMI 2.0a port for connecting to the latest UHD TVs, projectors and AV receivers, and an HDMI 1.4 audio port for connecting to older AV receivers. Customers with newer 4K- and HDR-capable AV receivers can use a full HDMI 2.0a signal path, while customers with older AV receivers can have a split AV setup.
- HDMI Input: An HDMI 2.0a input that supports UHD 4K resolution and HDR (via a firmware update) is available for users to connect an external streaming device, satellite/cable box, or game console. The incoming signal is processed by the player and output to your connected display, allowing you to take advantage of the player's built-in audio and video processing capabilities. This approach affords users the flexibility to choose from a wide range of devices and easily upgrade as technologies evolve, while still taking advantage of the UDP-205's audio and video processing capabilities.
4K Content Support: The UDP-205 supports the playback of 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Discs. Packing a resolution of up to 3840 x 2160 pixels, UHD Blu-ray delivers 4x the pixels of Full HD Blu-ray. The UDP-205 is also capable of playing 4K media files and user generated content. Support for decoding the HEVC, H.264, VP9 4K, and Hi10P (10-bit) video codecs provides increased compatibility with user generated media.
Note: It is recommended to use an 18 Gbps Premium High-Speed HDMI cable to watch 4K UHD movies.
Ultra HD 4K with Upscaling: The UDP-205 features support for all current SD, HD, and UHD resolutions, including 4K@60p, 4K@50p, 4K@30p, and 4K@24p using various color spaces such as PC RGB, Video RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, 4:2:2, and 4:2:0. The UDP-205 is also capable of upscaling lower resolution content up to 4Kx2K at 50/60Hz to a compatible display, which is 4x the resolution found on a 1080p Blu-ray disc.
HDR (High Dynamic Rage) Video: The UDP-205 supports High Dynamic Range (HDR) and Wide Color Gamut. The enhanced resolution, refined contrast, greater brightness, and expanded color produce stunning video with unparalleled clarity and detail. In addition to supporting HDR on Ultra-HD Blu-ray, it is also capable of providing an accurate conversion of HDR to SDR for older displays, as well as conversion between various color spaces such as BT.2020, BT.709, and BT.601. The UDP-203 supports both HDR10 and Dolby Vision.
- HDR 10: HDR 10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It supports 10-bit color and 1,000 nits. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the receiver and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- Dolby Vision: Unlike HDR 10 which contains static metadata, Dolby Vision utilizes dynamic metadata which adjusts brightness, color, and contrast automatically for each scene. Dynamic metadata carries information that maps every image to your TV's display capabilities, so you see more of what the content creator intended. Dolby Vision supports 12-bit color and 10,000 nits
3D-Ready: The OPPO UDP-205 lets you enjoy 3D Blu-ray disc movies in full HD 1080p. 3D viewing requires compatible 3D content, 3D-ready HDTV, 3D emitter and glasses, and a high-speed HDMI cable (supporting at least 10.2 Gbps) connection.
Advanced Picture Control: The UDP-205 also features advanced picture controls. Adjustments can be made to brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, sharpness and noise reduction, allowing you to make adjustments to compensate for any limitations found in your other home theater components, or merely to adjust the image to your own personal taste.
Zoom Levels: This feature zooms in and out of the displayed frame and also changes the aspect ratio (image width vs. height). Select from Stretch, Full Screen, 1:1, Compress, or Under Scan.
- Stretch: The image is vertically stretched 1.33x. For movies with 2.35:1 aspect ratio, this zoom level cuts off the black borders at the top and bottom of the image. Users of a projector with an anamorphic lens may find this mode helpful.
- Full Screen: The image is stretched by 1.33x for both vertical and horizontal directions. For movies with 2.35:1 aspect ratio, this zoom level cuts off the black borders at the top and bottom of the image while maintaining the correct aspect ratio. The left/right sides of the image are slightly cropped.
- 1:1: The image fills up the entire 16:9 screen but is horizontally stretched. Figures may look shorter and wider than they should be.
- Compress: The player maintains the correct 4:3 aspect ratio and adds borders to the left and right sides of the image.
- Under Scan: The Under Scan zoom level shrinks the image by 5%. This zoom level may be used to compensate for TVs that over scan, so the viewer can see the entire image area with no cropping. All other zoom levels are indicated by their respective zoom ratio
Source Direct Mode: For users who wish to use an external video processor, high-end audio/video receiver or display, the UDP-205 offers a "Source Direct" mode. The original audio/video content on the discs is sent out with no additional processing or alteration. The actual output resolution varies by content -
|Content||Source Direct Output Resolution|
|Most Blu-ray Movies (film source)||Ultra HD (4K) 23.976Hz or Ultra HD (4K) 24Hz 1080p 23.976Hz or 1080p 24Hz|
|Most Blu-ray TV shows or Concerts (video-source)||1080i|
|SACD and DVD-Audio||1080p|
Subtitle Shift: For customers using a 2.35:1 "Constant Image Height" video projection system, subtitles may get cut off because they are positioned outside of the active video area. The Subtitle Shift feature can be useful to these customers. The player can shift subtitles up or down so they are displayed within the active video area.
Bonus View: The Bonus View feature provides picture-in-picture capability with select Blu-ray Disc titles. You can view addition content (such as director/actor commentary) in a small display window while the movie is playing.
High Quality Construction: The UDP-205 is designed and built with high quality components that are intended for reaching the level of performance in both audio and video. Everything from the semiconductor chips to resistors and capacitors are carefully selected and sourced, so every player coming off the production line can meet and exceed OPPO's high specifications. With its a brushed aluminum front panel, a rigid steel chassis and gold plated connectors, the UDP-205 exemplifies OPPO's attention to quality and details. The solid build quality not only presents a sleek aesthetic, but also ensures dependable operation and reliable connection.
- Separate Analog & Digital Audio Power Supplies: The UDP-205 has separate power supplies for digital and analog circuitry to eliminate virtually all harmful interference. The analog audio circuitry is powered by a massive toroidal power transformer, which provides a very clean and robust power source to the audio components. A toroidal power transformer offers superior power efficiency and much lower exterior magnetic fields over traditional laminated steel core transformers.
- Reinforced Chassis Structure: The UDP-205 features a brushed aluminum front panel and a metal chassis that continues the tradition of excellent workmanship found in previous generations of OPPO universal players. Four heavy-gauge machined feet provide a stable foundation for the UDP-205, and isolate it from outside vibration. A new double-layered chassis further enhances the rigidness and vibration-canceling capabilities. The high quality metal construction is designed to impress and to perform.
- Fanless Passive Cooling: The internal layout and chassis design promote healthy air flow so critical components can be naturally cooled. Strategically placed heatsinks and ventilation grilles allow the UDP-205 run both cool and quiet without the need for internal or external fans. The thermal design has been optimized, analyzed, and stress-tested to ensure reliable operation for years to come.
Audiophile Performance: The OPPO UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray player delivers audiophile performance thanks to its dual ESS ES9038PRO Sabre Pro DACs and built-in HDMI audio jitter reduction.
- Dual ESS ES9038PRO Sabre Pro DACS: The OPPO UDP-205 is equipped with two ESS Technology ES9038PRO DACs for both stereo and 7.1 channel analog audio. The ES9038PRO is the flagship of the ESS PRO series. It sets a new benchmark for audio excellence with its best-in-class 140 dB of dynamic range in a 32-bit, 8-channel DAC. The ES9038PRO SABRE DAC features ESS' patented 32-bit HyperStreamDAC technology, which is responsible for the outstanding clarity and sound stage
- HDMI Audio Jitter Reduction: The UDP-205 features a high-stability, high-precision HDMI clock and a special HDMI audio jitter reduction circuit. This unique design significantly reduces jitter and eliminates timing errors, allowing you to enjoy your music with increased accuracy when you use the audio-only HDMI output port for connecting the audio signal. PCM and DSD signals rely on the HDMI clock directly, so the HDMI audio jitter reduction circuitry can improve the sound quality of PCM and DSD audio. For compressed bitstream audio, it helps to ensure error-free transmission, and may improve the audio performance depending on whether the audio decoder in the A/V processor or receiver uses a synchronous or asynchronous clock scheme.
Lossless High-resolution Audio: The UDP-205's video performance and universal compatibility is further complemented by its support of lossless high resolution audio. The player decodes audio file formats such as AIFF, WAV, ALAC, APE and FLAC. It also directly plays Direct-Stream Digital (DSD) audio files in stereo or multi-channel.
Note: DSD64 is played back in native mode or converted to PCM, while DSD128 converted to PCM.
Support For The Latest Surround Formats: With internal decoding of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, and bitstream output for object-based immersive audio formats such as Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, the UDP-205 delivers great sound for both movie soundtracks and music.
|Source Format||HDMI Output||Coaxial/Optical Output||Analog Multi-Channel Output|
|LPCM 2ch||LPCM 2ch||LPCM 2ch||LPCM 2ch||LPCM 2ch||2ch|
|LPCM 5.1ch||LPCM 5.1ch||LPCM 5.1ch||LPCM 2ch||LPCM 2ch||5.1ch|
|LPCM 7.1ch||LPCM 7.1ch||LPCM 7.1ch||LPCM 2ch||LPCM 2ch||7.1ch|
|Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital||LPCM 5.1ch||Dolby Digital||LPCM 2ch||5.1ch|
|Dolby Digital Plus||Dolby Digital Plus||LPCM up to 7.1ch||Dolby Digital||LPCM 2ch||up to 7.1ch|
|Dolby TrueHD||Dolby TrueHD||LPCM up to 24-bit/192kHz 7.1ch||Dolby Digital||LPCM 2ch||up to 7.1ch|
|DTS||DTS||LPCM up to 7.1ch||DTS||LPCM 2ch||up to 5.1ch|
|DTS-HD High Resolution||DTS-HD High Resolution||LPCM up to 7.1ch||DTS||LPCM 2ch||up to 7.1ch|
|DTS-HD Master Audio||DTS-HD Master Audio||LPCM up to 96kHz 24-bit 7.1ch or 192kHz 24-bit 2ch||DTS||LPCM 2ch||up to 7.1ch|
Note: The above chart provides a reference to what type of audio signal can be expected (when Secondary Audio is off).
Asynchronous USB DAC & Coaxial/Optical Inputs: An asynchronous USB DAC input supports sample rates up to 768 kHz PCM and DSD 512. For additional convenience and flexibility, the UDP-205 can convert digital signals from cable and satellite boxes, televisions, video game consoles and other digital transports with coaxial and optical digital outputs to analog. By bypassing the low fidelity, poor quality DAC of traditional computer soundcards, the UDP-205 turns any computer into a high performing multi-media source by utilizing the ES9038PRO DAC.
Optical & Coaxial Digital Outputs: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the UDP-205 is equipped with coaxial (RCA) and optical (toslink) digital audio outputs to provide backward compatibility with legacy audio components. The optical and coaxial digital inputs support 48k LPCM, 96k LPCM, 192k PCM, and Bitstream (Dolby Digital/DTS).
- Due to bandwidth limitations, high resolution audio formats such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution and DTS-HD Master Audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. A reduced resolution version of the same audio track will be output instead.
- Due to copyright restrictions, SACD audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. To listen to SACDs, please use the HDMI or analog audio connections.
- Due to copyright restrictions and bandwidth limitations, full resolution audio from DVD-Audio discs cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. To listen to DVD Audio in full resolution, please use the HDMI or analog audio connections.
Analog Outputs: In addition to HDMI and digital audio outputs, the UDP-205 offers analog audio outputs - including 7.1ch analog outputs, plus balanced & unbalanced dedicated stereo outputs.
- 7.1Ch Analog Output: To ensure compatibility with older amplifiers, pre-amps, and receivers that do not support HDMI, the UDP-205 retains a 7.1 multichannel analog output section, which delivers an incredible soundstage and an immersive surround experience.
- Balanced & Unbalanced Dedicated Stereo Output: In addition to the 7.1-channel surround audio output, the UDP-205 has a stereo audio output powered by a dedicated ES9038PRO DAC chip and specially designed buffer and driver stages. The stereo output offers both XLR balanced and RCA single-ended connectors. The balanced output features a true differential signal path all the way from the DAC to the 3-pin XLR connector. By transmitting a pair of differential signals, the balanced output provides better common-mode noise rejection and improves signal quality.
Headphone Amplifier: For a more intimate listening experience, headphones can be connected directly to the UDP-205's built-in headphone amplifier. The headphone amplifier is connected directly to the ESS SABRE PRO DAC and offers a unique performance advantage over standalone headphone amplifiers. Compared to the built-in headphone amplifier in our previous generation BDP-105/105D players, the new design offers more power and higher performance.
Audio Enhancements: The UDP-205 features audio settings such as Pure Audio, A/V Sync, and DRC to improve your listening experience.
- Pure Audio Mode: You can enjoy higher quality music audio by turning off the video processing and output. The Pure Audio mode reduces any potential interference between the video and audio signals. Because HDMI carries audio together with video, the HDMI video signal cannot be completely turned off. A black screen is transmitted instead to minimize any potential interference.
- A/V Sync: Allows you to add a slight delay to the audio so it is synchronized to the video. The delay can be adjusted in 10ms steps and within the range of -100ms to +200ms. The delayed time will be applied to all output terminals including HDMI, Coaxial, Optical, and 7.1ch outputs.
- Dynamic Range Control (DRC): DRC can smooth out the sonic peaks and valleys common with wide-range digital audio. Enabling DRC may make low level audio more audible during low-level listening. The Dynamic Range Compression is applied on the analog audio output; it also works on the digital audio output (HDMI, Coaxial and Optical) when the audio format is set to PCM.
Down Mix Mode: Down mix is the process of converting multi-channel audio to less number of channels. For example, converting a 5.1ch source to stereo, or converting a 7.1ch source to 5.1ch. Down mixing allows the audio output from the player to match the exact number of speakers available in your home theater. The following down mix modes are available.
- LT/RT: Left Total/Right Total. The center and surround channels are mixed into the two front channels according to the LT/RT matrix. A Dolby Pro Logic receiver will decode the two-channel audio into surround audio.
- Stereo: This mode down-mixes multi-channel audio to 2-channel stereo output. For original stereo content the output will not change. For original multi-channel content the surround and center channels will be mixed with the left and right front channels. Recommended for use with TV sets or stereo receiver/amplifiers.
- 5.1Ch: This mode enables 5.1ch decoded audio output. The number of actual output channels depends on the disc. If the source content has more channels, the surround back channels will be mixed into the surround channels.
- 7.1Ch: This mode enables 7.1ch decoded audio output. The number of actual output channels depends on the disc. For 6.1ch contents, the left and right surround back speakers will both output the same surround back audio channel.
Speaker Configuration: In the Speaker Configuration menu you can configure speaker settings such as speaker distance, speaker size, crossover frequency, and trim level.
- Test Tone: Test tone is a special group of artificially-created sounds that are used to test your audio speaker system and help to identify any wiring faults.
- Speaker Size: The speaker size parameter sets bass
filtering control for the speakers. The options are:
- Large: Bass frequencies are passed to the speakers.
- Small: Bass frequencies are not passed to the speakers to reduce possible distortion. If the subwoofer is available, bass frequencies are redirected to the subwoofer.
- On (for subwoofer only): Specifies that a subwoofer is available
- Off: Speaker for the corresponding position does not exist. Audio for the missing speaker is redirected to other speakers or discarded if redirection is not possible.
- Crossover: When a speaker size is set to "Small", bass information below the selected crossover frequency (40/60/80/90/100/110/120/150/200/250Hz) is not passed to the speaker to reduce possible distortion; and if a subwoofer is available, the bass information will be redirected to the subwoofer.
- Speaker Distance: The speaker distance parameters set delay control for the corresponding audio channel. The delay is used to compensate for the audio time difference caused by the placement of speakers. The speaker distance can be set from 0 to 60'.
- Trim Level: The speaker trim level parameters sets the volume of each individual channel. The trim level can be set to +/- 10dB in 0.5dB increments. Channel trim is generally not required since most A/V receivers have the capability to adjust.
Note: Speaker Configuration applies to the multi-channel analog audio outputs only. All digital bitstream and LPCM outputs are unaffected by these settings.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: Built-in 802.11ac WiFi or Gigabit Ethernet connects the UDP-205 to your home's network, so you can easily play media files stored on computers and home servers. The built-in wireless module is compatible with 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4GHz/5GHz) and 802.11 ac (5GHz) wireless networks. Only connect the Gigabit Ethernet port of the player to an RJ-45 port that supports 1000BASE-T or 100BASE-TX or 10BASE-T.
Network Content: The UDP-205 can remotely play back music, photo, and video files stored on computers or NAS (Network Attached Storage) devices that are connected to the same home network. The computer or NAS need to run server software that supports media sharing protocols such as DLNA, SMB/CIFS or NFS. The UDP-205 player can play media files on the home network in one of the following three ways -
- Digital Media Player (DMP): As a digital media player (DMP), the player can actively search, access and pull content from local media servers which supports DLNA.
- Digital Media Renderer (DMR): As a digital media renderer (DMR), the player plays content received ("pushed") from a digital media controller (DMC). A DMC-capable media server is required.
- SMB/CIFS/NFC Client: As a SMB/CIFS/NFS client, the player can directly access files shared through SMB/CIFS/NFS servers over the network, as if accessing an external USB hard drive. Most computers, especially those installed with Windows, already support SMB clients.
Compatible Audio/Video/Photo Files: The OPPO UHD Blu-ray disc player supports playback of the following audio/video/photo files over your network via DLNA, SMB/CIFS or NFS.
- Supported Audio Files: AAC, AIFF, ALAC, DSD64, FLAC, MP3, WAV, and WMA
- Supported Video Files: AVCHD, AVI, MKV, MPEG, and WMV
- Supported Photo Files: JPEG
Note: This firmware update is OPPO's first step in supporting MQA. OPPO is continuing the work on MQA-CD support, as well as adding MQA decoding for the USB DAC and coaxial/optical inputs.
BD-Live: The UDP-205 also supports the BD-Live feature offered on some Blu-ray Disc titles. BD-Live offers extra downloadable content and additional online interactive programs. Content available on BD-Live varies by disc and studio, and may include additional subtitles, commentaries, movie trailers, games, and online cha.
High-Resolution On-Screen Menu: The newly updated, high-resolution. on-screen user interface has been designed to be incredibly convenient to navigate, and provides an easy way to manage and access media files from both local and network storage.
Display Dimmer: The UHD Blu-ray player lets you control the display intensity of the front-panel Vacuum Fluorescent Display. You can choose Standard, Dim, or Off.
Parental Control: Parental Control allows you to set a rating limit based on the age of the viewer, preventing your children from viewing inappropriate material. Playback will stop if the ratings exceed the level you set, and it will require you to enter a 4-digit password before the disc will play back.
Energy Saving & Timer Functions: Video output will be turned off and replaced with a Screen Saver after 3 minutes of inactivity. The player can be set to auto-shutdown after 30 minutes of inactivity. A Sleep Timer allows you to specify the amount of time before the player automatically turns itself off. The Sleep Timer can be set to 30, 45, 60, 90, or 120 minutes; or turned off.
IR Remote: The OPPO UDP-205 comes with an IR remote control for wireless operation of the UHD Blu-ray player. The remote control features a motion sensor to activate the backlight for five seconds when you pick up the remote or press a button on the remote. When using the remote control, the front window of the remote control should be pointed to the infrared sensor on the front panel within an angle of +/-30°and a range of about 26'.
Note: The remote control contains three OPPO remote codes. The default is Code 1. If you have other OPPO products placed close to the UDP-205, they may inadvertently respond to the UDP-205 remote control. To prevent this, you can select a different remote code
Remote Integration: The UDP-205 is easy to integrate into practically any system due to its ability to receive standard IR, RS-232, third party IP Control system, and HDMI CEC commands. The player also has a Trigger In and Out.
- HDMI CEC: HDMI Consumer Electronics Control (HDMI CEC) simplifies your home theater by allowing a single remote control to operate multiple devices through HDMI connection.
- RS-232C Port: The UDP-205 has an RS232 control port and can be integrated into most custom home theater control systems
- Trigger In/Out: The player also supports Trigger In and Out, so it can automatically turn on and off other devices connected to it for the ultimate convenience.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
13 questions already asked