About the GoPro HERO5 Black
Talk to your action camera. Tell it what to do.
The GoPro HERO5's 2-inch touchscreen lets you preview, review, and edit footage in the field.
Talk to your action camera. Tell it what to do.
"GoPro, take a picture." That's all you have to say to get the tough, convenient HERO5 to spring into action.
GoPro cameras are legendary for their rugged build and ability to shoot crystal-clear video and stills. This leap forward in voice control just adds to the HERO5's legacy as a rugged, easy-to-use, all-around action camera.
Just imagine — press the large button on top of the camera to start recording your adventure, and then you won't have to touch it again. Just tell the camera what to do, and it will be done.
Incredibly sharp photos and video
There are plenty of bells and whistles on the HERO5, and it's still great at what it's supposed to be great at — taking beautiful pictures and videos. It shoots sharp, bright 4K video at 30 frames per second, and HD video at up to 120 fps, so you can capture big moments in slow-mo. It's a dynamite still camera as well, with a 12MP image sensor that can shoot in single shot, burst, and time lapse modes. For maximum still photo resolution, the camera can shoot in RAW + WDR mode — capturing images with impressive detail that are ready for editing. And you can fine-tune exposure settings from the on-screen menu.
More adventure-ready than ever before
Earlier versions of the HERO camera could be submerged to 33 feet with the aid of an add-on case. The HERO5 has been improved to the point where it can match that performance benchmark straight out of the box. No need to pause and reach for the accessory bag when you're ready to jump into the ocean right now — your camera is ready to go when you are. And the camera's built-in GPS lets you add tags that remind you exactly where you were when you share with friends later.
- 12-megapixel Ultra HD (30 fps) action camera
- shoots 4K video at 30 frames per second
- 2-inch touchscreen lets you preview, review, and edit footage
- waterproof to 33 feet without external housing
- single button powers the camera on and starts recording instantly
- built-in Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® for instant upload to social media
- advanced video stabilization keeps handheld shots smooth and jitter-free
- remotely control the camera with simple voice commands
- single shot, burst, and time lapse photo modes
- tag photos with exact location information using built-in GPS
- shoot still photos in RAW + WDR mode to capture maximum detail
- on-screen exposure control helps you fine-tune the look of each shot
- records stereo audio with advanced noise rejection
- set the camera to auto-upload to the cloud so you don't lose footage
- free GoPro mobile app offers remote control of camera functions
- records to MicroSD card (speed class 10 recommended)
- curved and flat adhesive mounts included
- 1220mAh lithium-ion rechargeable battery
Connections and Warranty:
- mini USB connector for charging and file transfer (cable included)
- micro HDMI connector lets you share videos on compatible big-screen TVs
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CHDHX-501
What's in the box:
GoPro HERO5 Black owner's manual
- GoPro HERO5 Black action camcorder
- Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.85V 1220mAh 4.70Wh)
- 22" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and USB-C on other end)
- Flat adhesive mount
- Curved adhesive mount
- Let's Get Started booklet
- Important Product + Safety Information booklet
- GoPro Care card
- GoPro Plus card
- Sheet of 3 GoPro decals
GoPro HERO5 Black reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the GoPro HERO5 Black
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||2.0|
|Total Pixel Count||12MP|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||12MP|
|Aspect Ratio||16:9, 4:3|
|Built-in Video Light||No|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||---|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||12MP|
|Built-in Photo Flash||No|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||4:3|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||4.2|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Image Sensor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The GoPro HERO5 Black (CHDHX-501) is an ultra-compact digital action camera, designed to take 4K, HD, and SD videos and up to 12-megapixel still photos in extreme situations. The camera comes with The Frame (standard housing for the HERO5 Black), plus flat and curved surface mounts. A full line of GoPro accessories allow you to mount the camera virtually anywhere.
2" LCD Touch Display: The camera has a 2" LCD touch display on the back for framing and viewing your videos and still images. Numerous touch gestures (tap, swipe, press/hold, etc.) let you navigate through the menus.
Optics: The HERO5 Black has a fixed focal length, ultra wide angle glass lens for sharp image quality. You can choose from different Fields of View, including Ultra Wide, Medium, Linear, and Narrow.
Voice Control: You can control the HERO5 Black with your voice using specific commands. The voice commands allow you to perform the following: Start or Stop capturing video, add a HiLight Tag, capture single or burst photos, start or stop time lapse, power off the camera, and change the camera mode (to video, photo, burst, or time lapse).
Video Resolution: The HERO5 Black is capable of recording 4K Ultra High Definition, High Definition and Standard Definition video in MPEG-4 (H.264) format. You can set the Video Format from NTSC to PAL whenever you wish to view video on a TV outside of North America. The following video resolution options are available:
|Video Resolution||Frame Rates |
|Field of View||Screen Resolution||Aspect Ratio|
|4K||30 (25)||Wide||3840 x 2160||16:9|
|4K||24 (24)||Wide, Super View||3840 x 2160||16:9|
|2.7K||60 (50) |
|Wide, Medium, Linear||2704 x 1520||16:9|
|2.7K||30 (25)||SuperView, Wide, Medium, Linear||2704 x 1520||16:9|
|2.7K 4:3||30 (25)||Wide||2704 x 2028||4:3|
|1440p||80 (80) |
|Wide||1920 x 1440||4:3|
|1080p||120 (120)||Wide, Narrow||1920 x 1080||16:9|
|1080p||90 (90)||Wide||1920 x 1080||16:9|
|1080p||80 (80)||SuperView||1920 x 1080||16:9|
|1080p||60 (50) |
|SuperView, Wide, Medium, Linear, Narrow||1920 x 1080||16:9|
|960p||120 (120) |
|Wide||1280 x 960||4:3|
|720p||240 (240)||Narrow||1280 x 720||16:9|
|720p||120 (120) |
|SuperView, Wide, Medium, Narrow||1280 x 720||16:9|
|720p||100 (100)||SuperView||1280 x 720||16:9|
|720p||30 (25)||Wide, Medium, Narrow||1280 x 720||16:9|
|480p||240 (240)||Wide||848 x 480||16:9|
Time Lapse Modes: There are three time laps capture modes:
- Time Lapse Video: Create video from frames captured as specific intervals. Resolutions include 4K, 2.7K 4:3, and 1080p. Available intervals are 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, and 60 seconds. You can choose from several fields of view: Wide, Medium, Linear, and Narrow.
- Time Lapse Photo: You can capture a series of photos at specified intervals. The series of photos can be converted to a video using GoPro Studio software, if desired. Photos are captured at 12 MP, and the same intervals (as above) are available.
- Night Lapse Photo: Night Lapse Photo captures a series of photos at set intervals when the lighting is poor. Longer shutter speeds allow more light into the camera: auto (up to 2 sec), 2, 5, 10, 20, or 30 sec. Intervals between frames can be set to Auto, 4, 5, 10, 10, 15, 20, or 30 seconds. Photos are captured at 12 MP.
Video + Photo: You can simultaneously capture both video and still photos in this mode. While shooting videos, you can set the camera to capture a still image at intervals ranging from 5 to 60 seconds. The photo quality is the same as the selected video resolution and field of view.
Looping Video: The Looping Video feature lets you record continuously record video, but save only the footage you want. This helps to conserve space on the memory card while you wait for a special moment to take place. Settings include Max Video, 5 min, 20 min, 60 min, or 120 min.
Audio: The camera records the audio in stereo with its built-in microphones at a 48kHz sampling rate and AAC compression. The camera features multiple microphones, and will automatically select the microphones with the least amount of wind noise.
Still Images: The HERO5 Black can take still images at 12MP resolution (4000 x 3000). You can choose from four Fields of View: Wide, Medium, Linear, and Narrow. You can take still photos one at a time, or in a burst as follows:
- 30 photos in 1, 2, 3, or 6 seconds
- 10 photos in 1, 2, or 3 second
- 5 photos in 1 second
- 3 photos in 1 second
Night Shooting: With professional-grade low light performance, the camera offers Night Photo and Night Lapse shooting. Night Photo allows you to capture a single photo with an auto exposure time of up to 2 seconds, or a fixed exposure time of 2, 5, 10, 15, 20, or 30 seconds.
Protune: Protune lets you manually change many of the camera's settings, giving you total control over the video and still image quality. With Protune enabled, you can set the following controls:
- White Balance: White balance adjusts the overall color tone of the videos and photos. Available settings include Auto, 3000K, 4000K, 4800K, 5500K, 6500K, and Native.
- Color: You can set the color profile to GoPro Color or Flat.
- ISO Limit: The ISO changes the camera's sensitivity in low-light environments. Settings are ISO 400 to 6400 for video, and ISO 100 to 600 for photos.
- Sharpness: Sharpness settings include High, Medium, and Low.
- Shutter: The Shutter value is for Video only, and can be set as follows: Auto, 1/FPS, 1/(2xFPS), 1/(4xFPS), and 1/(8xFPS).
- Exposure Value Compensation: Exposure Value Compensation (EV Comp) adjusts the brightness of the video or photo. You can improve image quality when shooting in high contrast environments. The EV Comp range is -2.0 to +2.0 EV in 0.5 EV steps.
Storage: The HERO5 Black has a side slot for inserting a microSD memory card, including microSDHC and microSDXC cards (up to 128 GB). You should use microSD cards with a Class 10 or UHS-1 rating for best performance. Memory cards from Sandisk and Lexar are recommended for maximum reliability in high-vibration activities. No memory is included with the camera.
Wi-Fi + Bluetooth: The camera features built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth wireless technology that allows you to wirelessly connect to your smartphone or tablet via the GoPro App or the optional GoPro Smart Remote. The Smart Remote allows you to fully control the camera and change settings, or control multiple GoPro cameras from distances up to 600'.
GoPro Apps: GoPro offers three apps that you can use for shooting, viewing, and editing your videos and photos:
- Capture: The GoPro Capture App lets you control your camera remotely with your iPhone, iPad, or Android smartphone/tablet. The app lets you see what your camera sees, giving you a live preview for positioning the camera and framing your shots. You can playback your videos, view your photos, browse and delete files on the microSD card, and even share them via email, text, and social media sites. Capture is compatible with iPhone/iPad (requires iOS 9.0 or later, iPad 2 not supported), Apple Watch (requires WatchOS 2.0), and Android devices (Android 4.4 and later).
- Quik: The Quik app lets you create beautiful videos using automatic edits, and incorporating still photos into your videos. You can add transitions and effects, plus sync your video to the beat of the music. Quik is compatible with iPhone/iPad (requires iOS 9.0 or later, and Android devices (Android 4.4 and later).
- Splice: With the Splice App, you can create professional looking videos on your iPhone or iPad. You can trim and crop, add effects, transitions, music, and titles, and animate your videos. Splice is compatible with iPhone/iPad/iPod touch, and requires iOS 9.0 or later.
Battery: The HERO5 Black is powered by a rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery (4.40V, 1220mAh). The battery can be charged by connecting the camera to a computer or other USB charging adapter (5V 1A) using the supplied USB-C cable.
Camera Orientation: You can set the camera to a right-side up or upside-down orientation so you can get the perfect angle for your video or still images. The Auto setting (Auto Image Rotation) automatically selects Up or Down orientation, based on the orientation of the camera when recording begins.
HiLight Tagging: The HERO5 Black lets you mark specific moments in your video during recording or playback with HiLight Tags, making the moments easier to locate. Tags can be added using the camera, the GoPro App, or the optional Smart Remote. During playback, the tags are visible in the GoPro App or GoPro software.
Connections: The HERO5 Black has a USB-C port for connecting the camera to a computer, or for charging the battery. With a special adapter, you can connect an external stereo microphone via the USB port. You can connect the camera to your HDTV through the Micro HDMI (Type D) jack.
Dimensions: Width: 2.454", Height: 1.793", Depth: 1.295"
Weight: 4.2 ounces (5.9 ounces with supplied The Frame housing and battery)
Computer Compatibility: The HERO5 Black camera is compatible with the following operating systems: Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Mac OS X 10.10.x or later.
The Frame: The HERO5 Black comes with The Frame, a standard housing for this camera. The Frame is attached to a GoPro quick-release buckle that lets you adjust the tilt of the camera. The rubber locking plug provides additional security.
Mounting Bases: The package includes a curved-surface and a flat-surface mount, each with industrial-grade adhesive, for mounting the camera to a helmet, vehicle, or other smooth surface.
Waterproof Housing: The optional Super Suit clear housing that is waterproof to a depth of 196 feet (60 meters), and provides ultimate protection for the HERO5 Black while diving or participating in extreme outdoor activities. The Super Suit includes two Waterproof Backdoors and one Skeleton Backdoor.
Optional Mounts: GoPro offers numerous mounts for the HERO5 Black camera, including a head strap and chest harness. Other mounts can attach the camera to a bicycle seat post or handlebar, a roll bar, helmet, tripod, surfboard, or even your dog.
The GoPro HERO5 Black replaces these items
- 12-megapixel action camera shoots high-def (up to 60 fps) or 4K (15 fps) video
- built-in touchscreen for controlling camera, framing shots, and playing back content
- free GoPro mobile app offers remote control of camera functions
Had to perform a firmware update to address a battery drain concern; after that, the camera is great! Used it on a recent ski trip without any problems. Now just need to get outside more!
Alex from Pensacola, FL