About the GoPro HERO6 Black
Live large and let the camera sweat the details
The GoPro HERO6 gives you a new and unique angle on a lifetime of adventures.
Live large and let the camera sweat the details
GoPro HERO cameras have always been good at capturing stunning photos and video. The HERO6 makes it easier than ever for you to live in the moment, rather than standing around figuring out how to work the controls.
That means a new GP1 processing chip that works behind the scenes to sharpen and stabilize action shots for you. There's also a QuikStories mode that sends footage to your phone, where it's automatically edited into a fun overview of your day on the slopes, in the surf, or hanging with family. And its built-in Wi-Fi uses the 5GHz band for faster upload speeds.
When you're reviewing stills or video, the camera's built-in screen lets you touch to zoom in on the part you really want to see.
Incredibly sharp photos and video
The HERO6 shoots sharp, bright 4K video at up to 60 frames per second, and HD video at up to 240 fps, so you can capture big moments in slow-mo. It's a dynamite still camera as well, with a 12-megapixel image sensor that can shoot in single shot, burst, and time lapse modes.
For maximum still photo resolution, the camera can shoot in RAW and HDR mode — capturing images with impressive detail that are ready for editing. And you can fine-tune exposure settings from the on-screen menu.
Built on a solid foundation
All of this camera's new features are added to the exciting features introduced by the HERO5, like voice commands. "GoPro, take a picture." Say that out loud, and the camera springs into action.
If you're the hands-on type, one-touch control is your best friend. Just press the large button on top of the camera to start recording your adventure, and then you won't have to touch it again. Just tell the camera what to do, and it will be done.
The HERO6 can be submerged to 33 feet without an add-on case. No need to pause and reach for the accessory bag when you're ready to jump into the ocean right now — your camera is ready to go when you are. And the camera's built-in GPS lets you add tags that remind you exactly where you were when you share with friends later.
- 12-megapixel action camera shoots 4K video at 60 fps
- 2-inch screen with touch zoom lets you preview, review, and edit footage
- built-in GPS lets you add telemetry data to your shots using your computer and GoPro's Quik desktop app
- GP1 processor improves image quality and video stability
- waterproof to 33 feet without external housing
- single button powers the camera on and starts recording instantly
- built-in 5GHz Wi-Fi and Bluetooth® for instant upload to social media
- advanced video stabilization keeps handheld shots smooth and jitter-free
- remotely control the camera with simple voice commands
- single shot, burst, and time lapse photo modes
- tag photos with exact location information using built-in GPS
- shoot still photos in RAW and HDR mode to capture maximum detail
- QuikStories sends footage to your phone where it's automatically edited into a time-lapse of your day
- on-screen exposure control helps you fine-tune the look of each shot
- records stereo audio with advanced noise rejection
- set the camera to auto-upload to the cloud so you don't lose footage
- free GoPro mobile app offers remote control of camera functions
- records to MicroSD cards (not included, Speed Class 10 recommended)
- mounting buckle and curved and flat adhesive mounts
- GoPro The Frame mount
- lithium-ion rechargeable battery
Connections and Warranty:
- mini USB-C connector for charging and file transfer (cable included)
- micro HDMI connector lets you share videos on compatible big-screen TVs
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CHDHX-601
What's in the box:
- Action camera
- Mounting frame (installed)
- Mounting buckle (installed)
- Thumb screw (installed)
- Flat adhesive mount
- Curved adhesive mount
- Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.85V 1220mAh 4.7Wh)
- 22" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and USB-C on other end)
- Important Product + Safety Information booklet
GoPro HERO6 Black reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the GoPro HERO6 Black
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||2.0|
|Total Pixel Count||12 MP|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||12 MP|
|Aspect Ratio||16:9, 4:3|
|Built-in Video Light||No|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||Not given|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||12 MP|
|Built-in Photo Flash||No|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||4:3|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mic Input||Opt w/adapter|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||3.3|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Image Sensor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The GoPro HERO6 Black (CHDHX-601) is an ultra-compact digital action camera, designed to take 4K Ultra HD, Full HD, and HD videos and up to 12-megapixel still photos in extreme situations. The camera comes with The Frame (standard housing for the HERO6 Black), plus flat and curved surface mounts. A full line of GoPro accessories allow you to mount the camera virtually anywhere.
2" LCD Touch Display: The camera has a 2" LCD touch display on the back for framing and viewing your videos and still images. Numerous touch gestures (tap, swipe, press/hold, etc.) let you navigate through the menus.
Optics: The HERO6 Black has a fixed focal length, ultra wide angle glass lens for sharp image quality. You can choose from different fields of view, including SuperView (widest angle), Wide, and Linear (narrowest angle).
Voice Control: You can control the HERO6 Black with your voice using specific commands. The voice commands allow you to perform the following: Start or Stop capturing video, add a HiLight Tag, capture single or burst photos, start or stop time lapse, power on or power off the camera, and change the camera mode (to video, photo, burst, or time lapse). It can also move the video or photos from your most recent session to your phone to create a QuikStory.
Video Resolution: The HERO6 Black is capable of recording 4K Ultra HD, Full HD and HD video in MPEG-4 H.264 and H.265 HEVC formats. You can set the Video Format from NTSC to PAL whenever you wish to view video on a TV outside of North America. The following video resolution options are available:
|Video Resolution||Frame Rates |
|Field of View||Screen Resolution||Aspect Ratio|
|4K||60 (50)||Wide||3840 x 2160||16:9|
|4K||30 (25) |
|Wide, Super View||3840 x 2160||16:9|
|4K 4:3||30 (25) |
|Wide||4096 x 3072||4:3|
|2.7K||120 (100)||Wide||2704 x 1520||16:9|
|2.7K||60 (50) |
|Linear, Wide, SuperView||2704 x 1520||16:9|
|2.7K 4:3||60 (50) |
|Linear, Wide||2704 x 2028||4:3|
|1440p||60 (50) |
|Linear, Wide||1920 x 1440||4:3|
|1080p||240 (200)||Wide||1920 x 1080||16:9|
|1080p||120 (100) |
|Linear, Wide, SuperView||1920 x 1080||16:9|
|720p||60 (50)||Linear, Wide||1280 x 720||16:9|
Time Lapse Modes: There are three time laps capture modes:
- Time Lapse Video: Create video from frames captured as specific intervals. Resolutions include 4K, 2.7K 4:3, and 1080p. Available intervals are 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, and 60 seconds. You can choose from Wide or Linear fields of view.
- Time Lapse Photo: You can capture a series of photos at specified intervals. The series of photos can be converted to a video using GoPro Studio software, if desired. Photos are captured at 12 MP, and the same intervals (as above) are available.
- Night Lapse Photo: Night Lapse Photo captures a series of photos at set intervals when the lighting is poor. Longer shutter speeds allow more light into the camera: Auto (up to 2 sec), 2, 5, 10, 15, 20, or 30 sec. Intervals between frames can be set to Auto, 4, 5, 10, 10, 15, 20, or 30 seconds and 1, 2, 5, 30 and 60 minutes. Photos are captured at 12 MP.
Looping Video: The Looping Video feature lets you record continuously record video, but save only the footage you want. This helps to conserve space on the memory card while you wait for a special moment to take place. Settings include Max Video, 5 min, 20 min, 60 min, or 120 min. Looping is not available in 4K 4:3 mode.
Audio: The camera records the audio with three built-in mono microphones. The camera processes the audio from the three microphones to apply advanced Wind Noise Reduction. Stereo recording is supported when an external 3.5mm microphone is connected with a GoPro Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter that plugs into the USB-C port.
Still Images: The HERO6 Black can take still images at 12MP resolution (4000 x 3000). You can choose from three fields of view: Wide, Linear, and SuperView. You can take still photos one at a time, or in a burst as follows:
- 30 photos in 1, 2, 3, or 6 seconds
- 10 photos in 1, 2, or 3 second
- 5 photos in 1 second
- 3 photos in 1 second
Night Shooting: With professional-grade low light performance, the camera offers Night Photo and Night Lapse shooting. Night Photo allows you to capture a single photo with an auto exposure time of up to 30 seconds, or a fixed exposure time of 2, 5, 10, 15, 20, or 30 seconds.
Protune: Protune lets you manually change many of the camera's settings, giving you total control over the video and still image quality. With Protune enabled, you can set the following controls:
- White Balance: White balance adjusts the overall color tone of the videos and photos. Available settings include Auto, 2300K, 2800K, 3200K, 4000K, 4500K, 5500K, 6000K, 6500K, and Native.
- Color: You can set the color profile to GoPro Color or Flat.
- ISO Minimum / ISO Maximum: The ISO changes the camera's sensitivity in low-light environments. Settings are 100 (default ISO minimum), 200, 400, 800, 1600 (default video ISO Maximum), 3200 (default photo ISO Maximum), and 6400.
- Sharpness: Sharpness settings include High, Medium, and Low.
- Shutter: The Shutter values for Video only are Auto, 1/FPS, 1/(2xFPS), 1/(4xFPS), and 1/(8xFPS). For Photo, the shutter options are Auto, 1/125, 1/250, 1/500, 1/1000, and 1/2000 second.
- Exposure Value Compensation: Exposure Value Compensation (EV Comp) adjusts the brightness of the video or photo. You can improve image quality when shooting in high contrast environments. The EV Comp range is -2.0 to +2.0 EV in 0.5 EV steps.
- RAW Audio: In Video capture mode, you can capture a standard MP4 audio track and a separate .wav file. The level of processing applied to the RAW audio can be set to low, medium, and high.
Storage: The HERO6 Black has a side slot for inserting a microSD memory card, including microSDHC and microSDXC cards (up to 256 GB). You should use microSD cards with a Class 10 or UHS-I rating for best performance. No memory is included with the camera.
Wi-Fi + Bluetooth: The camera features built-in 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz Wi-Fi, as well as Bluetooth wireless technology, to allow you to wirelessly connect to your smartphone or tablet via the GoPro App or the optional GoPro Smart Remote. The Smart Remote allows you to fully control the camera and change settings, or control multiple GoPro cameras from distances up to 600'.
GoPro App: GoPro previously had more than one main app for controlling your camera and downloading and editing your footage. Now you can do all in the new GoPro app (formerly known as Capture). Not only can you organize and view your photos and videos on your mobile device, the GoPro app will automatically transform them into professional-looking videos. The QuikStories feature automatically copies videos and photos from your most recent session from your camera to your mobile device, and turns them into an edited video, complete with music and special effect. This QuikStory can then be saved, edited, or deleted from your phone if you don't like it. The app also allows you to immediately post your favorite photos and videos directly to your favorite social media sites, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. The GoPro app lets you control the HERO6 (or other GoPro camera) from your mobile device, including framing the shot with a live preview, or adjusting the settings. The app is compatible with Apple mobile devices running iOS 9.0 or later, as well as Android devices running version 5.0 and up.
GoPro Studio for Desktops: GoPro Studio software can be downloaded to your desktop computers. It is compatible with the following operating systems:
- Windows: 64-bit Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 in desktop mode. 32-bit systems are not supported.
- Mac: OS X 10.10.x or later
Battery: The HERO6 Black is powered by a rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery (4.40V, 1220mAh). The battery can be charged by connecting the camera to a computer or other USB charging adapter (5V 1A) using the supplied USB-C cable. Charging a fully-depleted battery takes approximately 2 hours.
Camera Orientation: You can set the camera to a right-side up or upside-down orientation so you can get the perfect angle for your video or still images. The Auto setting (Auto Image Rotation) automatically selects Up or Down orientation, based on the orientation of the camera when recording begins.
HiLight Tagging: The HERO6 Black lets you mark specific moments in your video during recording or playback with HiLight Tags, making the moments easier to locate. Tags can be added using the camera, the GoPro App, or the optional Smart Remote. During playback, the tags are visible in the GoPro App or GoPro software.
Connections: The HERO6 Black has a USB-C port for connecting the camera to a computer, or for charging the battery. With a special adapter, you can connect an external stereo microphone via the USB port. You can connect the camera to your HDTV through the Micro HDMI (Type D) jack.
Dimensions: Width: 2.448", Height: 1.787", Depth: 1.317"
Weight: 3.3 ounces (5.9 ounces with supplied The Frame housing and battery)
The Frame: The HERO6 Black comes with The Frame, a standard housing for this camera. The Frame is attached to a GoPro quick-release buckle that lets you adjust the tilt of the camera. The rubber locking plug provides additional security.
Mounting Bases: The package includes a curved-surface and a flat-surface mount, each with industrial-grade adhesive, for mounting the camera to a helmet, vehicle, or other smooth surface.
Optional Mounts: GoPro offers numerous mounts for the HERO6 Black camera, including a head strap and chest harness. Other mounts can attach the camera to a bicycle seat post or handlebar, a roll bar, helmet, tripod, surfboard, or even your dog.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
1 question already asked