About the GoPro HERO4 Silver
Bring your adventure home with you
Included adhesive mounts let you put the GoPro HERO4 Silver exactly where you want it to record your adventures first-hand.
Bring your adventure home with you
Whether I'm rolling a few miles down the road to a music festival, or taking a once-in-a-lifetime overseas vacation, I want crystal-clear photos and video to document the experience. The GoPro HERO4 Silver offers cinematic HD video performance, and it can snap 12-megapixel still photos at 30 frames per second. With the HERO4 attached to your body, you can record your journey, even while your fingers are busy. It's built into a rugged housing that can withstand bumps, sun, wind, rain and can be submerged down to 131 feet. It's lightweight, and compatible with a variety of GoPro mounts that leave your hands free. You might not always need it to be that tough, but you'll be glad it is when the time comes for an adventure.
I'm used to the virtual button-pushing, swiping, and pinch-to-zoom of touchscreen controls. If you own a smartphone, you probably are too. The GoPro HERO4 Silver is the first GoPro to feature an integrated touch display, so you can use familiar gestures like tap, swipe, and pinch-to-zoom to control your camera. The large color LCD screen also lets you accurately frame shots and review riveting footage while you're still in the field.
Impressive creative control
The HERO4 Silver offers a loaded toolbox for you to discover. Protune™ settings for photos and video give you full manual control of color, ISO settings, white balance, sharpness, and exposure. Night Photo and Night Lapse modes offer customizable exposure settings of up to 30 seconds for individual photos and time lapse sequences you capture in dark environments. HiLight Tag, a new HERO4 Silver feature, enables you to mark key moments while recording so you can quickly locate your best clips later for convenient playback, editing or sharing.
Share instantly with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth®
Free GoPro Studio software for PC and Mac® lets you edit it all into a gorgeous package. Then, when it's time to share your hard work, download the free GoPro App, find a Wi-Fi hotspot, and you can share via text, email, Facebook and more. The app also transforms your phone or tablet into a live video remote for your camera, offering full control of all functions and settings, easy shot preview and playback. HERO's QuikCapture mode lets you power on and start recording automatically with the press of a single button. Press once to record video, press and hold for two seconds to capture time lapse photos. If you feel the need to remove the camera from its mount and hold it in your hands, just press the quick-release buckle and you're in business. If you're ready for adventures at any time, your camera should be, too.
Use the GoPro HERO4 Silver with one of several optional mounts to capture immersive, cinematic experiences.
- 12-megapixel action camera shoots high-def (up to 60 fps) or 4K (15 fps) video
- burst mode snaps still photos at 30 fps
- built-in Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth
- built-in touchscreen for controlling camera, framing shots, and playing back content
- free GoPro mobile app offers remote control of camera functions
- ultra-wide field of view lets you take in more of the action at once
- capture a series of photos at 0.5-60 second intervals in Time Lapse mode
- video capture settings help you get the right shot every time
- Spot Meter compensates so bright outdoor scenes aren't washed out
- SuperView™ captures an immersive wide-angle perspective, and provides full widescreen playback
- QuikCapture begins recording video or capturing time lapse photos with the press of a single button
- ProTune™ offers manual control over color, sharpness, ISO limit, white balance and exposure
- dedicated button allows you to quickly access and adjust camera settings
- HiLight Tag lets you mark key moments while recording
- on-screen video trimming lets you pull out key sequences of 5, 15, or 30 seconds for editing or sharing (may require a firmware update)
- built-in mono microphone captures the sounds that go with your video
- compatible with Shure SM57, Shure SM58, and Sennheiser MD421
- mini USB connector for charging and file transfer (cable included)
- free GoPro mobile app offers remote control of camera functions
- records to MicroSD card (speed class 10 recommended)
- curved and flat adhesive mounts included
- 2-3/8"W x 1-11/16"H x 1-3/16"D
- weight: 5.2 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CHDHY-401
What's in the box:
- GoPro Hero4 Silver action camera
- AHDBT-401 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.8V 1160mAh 4.4Wh)
- Waterproof housing
- Quick release buckle (attached to housing)
- Vertical quick release buckle
- 3-way Pivot arm
- 20.5" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Mini-B 2.0 USB on other end)
- Skeleton backdoor
- Touch backdoor
- Flat adhesive mount
- Curved adhesive mount
- Buckle locking plug
- Quick Start Guide
- Safety Information booklet
- Warranty + Disclaimers booklet
- Get Started with GoPro
- Sheet of 3 GoPro decals
GoPro HERO4 Silver reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the GoPro HERO4 Silver
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||1.75|
|Total Pixel Count||12 MP|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||---|
|Aspect Ratio||16:9, 4:3|
|Built-in Video Light||No|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||2 hours|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||---|
|Built-in Photo Flash||No|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||4:3|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|USB Port||2.0 High Speed|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||5.2|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Image Sensor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The GoPro Hero4 Silver (CHDHY-401) is an ultra-compact digital action camera, designed to take 4K, HD, and SD videos and up to 12-megapixel still photos in extreme situations. The camera features an integrated touch display, a clear waterproof housing, and a variety of clip-on surface mounts. A full line of GoPro accessories allow you to mount the camera virtually anywhere.
Touch Display: The Hero4 Silver is the first-ever GoPro to be equipped with an integrated touch panel color display on the rear panel. The display is approximately 1.75", measured diagonally, and can be used for framing your shots, and playing back your videos at still images. The capacitive touch screen also lets you tap and swipe the screen to control the camera and change its settings.
Optics: The Hero4 Silver has a fixed focus, f/2.8 ultra wide angle glass lens for sharp image quality. You can choose from different Fields of View, including Ultra Wide, Medium, and Narrow.
Video Resolution: The Hero4 Silver is capable of recording 4K Ultra High Definition, High Definition and Standard Definition video in MPEG-4 (H.264) format. You can set the Video Format from NTSC to PAL whenever you wish to view video on a TV outside of North America. The following video resolution options are available:
|Video Resolution||Frame Rates |
|Field of View||Screen Resolution||Recommended Use|
|4K||15, (12.5)||Ultra Wide||3840 x 2160||Stunning high-resolution with professional low-light performance. 8MP stills from video are also available. Recommended for tripod or fixed position shots.|
|2.7K||30, (25), 24||Ultra Wide, Medium||2704 x 1520||16:9 resolution video downscales to provide stunning, cinema-quality results for professional production.|
|1440p||48, 30, (25), 24||Ultra Wide||1920 x 1440||Recommended for body-mounted shots. Larger viewing area and high frame rate yield the smoothest, most immersive results for high-action capture.|
|1080p||60, (50), 48, 30, (25), 24||Ultra Wide, Medium, Narrow||1920 x 1080||Great for all shots. High resolution and frame rate yield stunning results.|
|60, (50), 48, 30, (25), 24||Ultra Wide||1920 x 1080||SuperView delivers a more immersive FOV. Recommended for body-or gear-mounted shots.|
|960p||100, 60, (50)||Ultra Wide||1280 x 960||For body-mounted shots when slow motion is desired. Provides large viewing area.|
|720p||120, 60, (50), 30, (25)||Ultra Wide, Medium, Narrow||1280 x 720||Good for hand-held shots and when slow motion is desired.|
60, (50), |
|Ultra Wide||1280 x 720||SuperView delivers a more immersive FOV. Recommended for body-or gear-mounted shots.|
|WVGA||240||Ultra Wide||848 x 480||For smaller data files. Good for when super slow-motion is desired.|
Other Video Modes: In addition to the normal Video mode, the Hero4 Silver offers these other modes:
- Time Lapse Video: You can create video from frames captured at specific intervals. Time Lapse Video is only available in 4K and 2.7K 4:3 resolutions, and is captured without audio.
- Video + Photo: You can simultaneously capture both video and still photos in this mode. While shooting videos, you can set the camera to capture a still image at intervals ranging from 5 to 60 seconds. The photo quality is the same as the selected video resolution and field of view
- Looping Video: The Looping Video feature lets you record continuously record video, but save only the footage you want. This helps to conserve space on the memory card while you wait for a special moment to take place. Settings include Max Video, 5 min, 20 min, 60 min, or 120 min.
Audio: The camera records the audio with its built-in mono microphone at a 48kHz sampling rate and AAC compression. The microphone features nearly twice the dynamic range of the GoPro Hero3+ Black camera. Stereo recording is supported when an external 3.5mm microphone is connected with a special GoPro adapter.
Still Images: The Hero4 Silver can take still images at a 12MP (4000 x 3000, Wide FOV), 7MP (3000 x 2250, Wide or Medium FOV), or 5MP (2560 x 1920, Medium FOV) resolution. You can take photos manually one at a time, or in a burst of 3, 5, 10, or 30 photos per second for up to 30 seconds. A series of photos can also be captured in a time lapse sequence the following intervals: 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, or 60 seconds.
Night Shooting: With professional-grade low light performance, the camera offers Night Photo and Night Lapse shooting. Night Photo allows you to capture a single photo with an auto exposure time of up to 2 seconds, or a fixed exposure time of 2, 5, 10, 15, 20, or 30 seconds. Night Lapse lets you capture a series of Night Photos at intervals of 15s, 20s, 30s, 60s, 2m, 5m, 30m or 60 minutes.
Protune: Protune lets you manually change many of the camera's settings, giving you total control over the video and still image quality. With Protune enabled, you can set the following controls:
- White Balance: White balance adjusts the overall color tone of the videos and photos. Available settings include Auto, 3000K, 5500K, 6500K, and Native.
- Color: You can set the color profile to GoPro Color or Flat.
- ISO Limit: The ISO Limit changes the camera's sensitivity in low-light environments. Settings include: 6400, 1600, and 400 for video; 800, 400, 200, and 100 for photos.
- Sharpness: Sharpness settings include High, Medium, and Low.
- Exposure Value Compensation: Exposure Value Compensation (EV Comp) adjusts the brightness of the video or photo. You can improve image quality when shooting in high contrast environments. The EV Comp range is -2.0 to +2.0 EV in 0.5 EV steps.
Storage: The Hero4 Silver has a side slot for inserting a Micro SD memory card (up to 64 GB). You should use Micro SD cards with a Class 10 or UHS-1 rating for best performance. Brand name memory cards are recommended for maximum reliability in high-vibration activities. No memory is included with the camera.
Wi-Fi + Bluetooth: The camera features built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth wireless technology that allows you to wirelessly connect to your smartphone or tablet via the GoPro App or the optional GoPro Smart Remote. The Smart Remote allows you to fully control the camera and change settings, or control multiple GoPro cameras from distances up to 600'.
GoPro App: The GoPro App lets you control your camera remotely with your iPhone, iPad, or Android smartphone/tablet. The app lets you see what your camera sees, giving you a live preview for positioning the camera and framing your shots. You can playback your videos, view your photos, browse and delete files on the Micro SD card, and even share them via email, text, and social media sites. The app also gives you instant access to the GoPro Channel to see other videos shot by GoPro cameras, and can even update your camera's software. The app is compatible with iPhone/iPad/iPod touch and requires iOS 7.1 or later. It is also compatible with Android (version varies by device) and Windows phones (8 and 8.1).
Battery: The Hero4 Silver is powered by the supplied AHDBT-401 rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery (3.8V, 1160mAh, 4.4Wh). It has a maximum battery life of approximately 2 hours (4K, 15 fps, Wi-Fi off). The battery can be charged by connecting the camera to a computer or other USB charging adapter (5V 1A) using the supplied USB cable. The battery is charged to approximately 80% capacity in 1 hour, or to a full charge in about 2 hours. You can also charge the battery outside of the camera using the optional Dual Battery Charger.
QuikCapture: The Hero4 Silver features a QuikCapture mode that lets you quickly turn the camera on and begin capturing video or shoot time lapse photos. With the camera powered off, you can press and release the shutter/select button to begin capturing video, or press and hold the button for two seconds to begin shooting time lapse still photos. QuikCapture is set to On by default.
Spot Meter: If you're shooting an outdoor scene from indoors, or a shaded area from a bright sunny area, you can activate the Spot Meter feature for best exposure. Spot Meter automatically sets the exposure based on a single spot in the middle of the image, instead of an average of the entire image.
Upside Down Image: If you need to mount the camera upside down to get the perfect angle for your video or still images, you can set the camera to save the photo upside down so they will appear right side up on your computer or TV.
HiLight Tagging: The Hero4 Silver lets you mark specific moments in your video during recording or playback with HiLight Tags, making the moments easier to locate. Tags can be added using the camera, the GoPro App, or the optional Smart Remote. During playback, the tags are visible in the GoPro App or GoPro software.
Connections: The Hero4 Silver has a Mini-B 2.0 USB port for connecting the camera to a computer, or for charging the battery. With a special adapter, you can connect an external stereo microphone via the USB port. You can connect the camera to your HDTV through the Micro HDMI jack. A Micro HDMI-to-HDMI cable is required.
Dimensions: Width=2.334" Height=1.628" Depth=1.168" (camera only)
Weight: 2.9 ounces (5.2 ounces with housing)
Computer Compatibility: The Hero4 Silver camera is compatible with the following operating systems: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Mac OS X 10.8 or later.
Waterproof Housing: The Hero4 Silver comes with a clear housing that is waterproof to a depth of 131 feet (40 meters). It has three external buttons to allow you to change the camera settings, turn Wi-Fi on/off, and press the shutter button. The back door of the housing can be removed and replaced with the supplied Skeleton back panel for non-water activities, and to allow more sound to reach the camera's microphone.
Quick Release Mounting: The waterproof housing is mounted to a quick-release buckle that lets you adjust the tilt of the camera. A vertical quick-release buckle is also included. The quick-release slips and locks into either of the supplied mounting bases, the supplied 3-way pivot arm, or the multiple optional mounts. An included locking plug will provide more security to the mount to prevent accidental loss.
Mounting Bases: The package includes a curved-surface and a flat-surface mount, each with industrial-grade adhesive, for mounting the camera to a helmet, vehicle, or other smooth surface.
Optional Mounts: GoPro offers numerous mounts for the Hero4 Silver camera, including a head strap and chest harness. Other mounts can attach the camera to a bicycle seat post or handlebar, a roll bar, helmet, tripod, surfboard, or even your dog.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
2 questions already asked