About the GoPro HERO8 Black Bundle
Brilliant, smooth 4K footage
Brilliant, smooth 4K footage
The HERO8 Black is the flagship of GoPro's HERO action camera line. It's a rugged, waterproof, 12-megapixel camera that records 4K video at up to 60 frames per second. You can also record butter-smooth 240 fps slow motion in 1080p. That's individual flicks of snow running past your face with crystal clarity.
The new HyperSmooth 2.0 image stabilization helps you shoot rock-steady still photos and shake-free video, even when you're running, biking, surfing or skiing.
The head strap attaches the HERO8 Black securely to your helmet.
Packed with special features
TimeWarp 2.0 video mode records time-lapse footage at up to 30X speed, automatically adjusting speed based on motion, scene detection, and lighting. You can even manually slow down the effect for especially interesting moments, and then tap to speed things back up.
You can shoot bursts of still photos at up to 15 frames per second to freeze moments of action. The 12-megapixel photos are captured in advanced HDR (High Dynamic Range) to reduce motion blur and increase detail, even in low-light areas.
The camera also has built-in GPS, so you can tag photos and video with telemetry data, then wirelessly upload and share with friends via social media.
Control the HERO8 Black with your voice
GoPro enthusiasts I know don't always have free hands to fiddle with their cameras. That's why the HERO8 Black has 14 voice commands such as "GoPro, turn on." and "GoPro, take a photo." Just mount it, and focus on your adventure.
Live stream your escapades
Show off your action highlights by instantly streaming professional-quality video to Facebook Live, YouTube™, Instagram, and more.
Accessorize your adventure
The GoPro HERO8 bundle comes with essential accessories to shoot easier and for longer periods of time. The head strap can be attached to a helmet or straight to your head, with adjustable straps that will hold up no matter how rough the ride is.
The Shorty is GoPro's handy little tripod. You can use it as a selfie extension pole for filming yourself, or as a stationary tripod for steady, locked-in shots. You also get a spare battery and a 32GB memory card.
- 12-megapixel action camera shoots 4K Ultra HD video @ 60 fps
- 1080p HD video @ 240 fps
- waterproof to 33 feet without external housing
- remotely control the camera with simple voice commands
- SuperPhoto applies improved High Dynamic Range (HDR) to optimize images
- 2-inch rear screen with touch zoom lets you preview, review, and edit footage
- instantly monitor settings and functions on 1" front screen
- new digital lens lets you frame your shot in Narrow, Linear, Wide, and SuperView
- shoot in horizontal (landscape) or vertical (portrait) orientation
- Shoot RAW in all photo modes
- free GoPro app features:
- auto-transfer images to your smartphone
- QuikStories automatically creates fun, shareable videos with music
- share directly to your Instagram feed
- back up unlimited stills and up to 250GB of video to the cloud with a GoPro Plus subscription
- built-in GPS lets you tag photos with exact location and telemetry data
- 8X slow-motion (in 240 fps HD mode)
- HyperSmooth 2.0 image stabilization keeps photos sharp and video jitter-free
- instantly stream video to Facebook Live, YouTube, and other platforms
- TimeWarp 2.0 video records time-lapse footage at up to 30x speed
- photo timer lets you get in the picture
- burst mode: 15 frames per second
- 3 microphones with advanced wind-noise reduction
- GoPro HERO 8 action camera
- spare GoPro rechargeable battery
- GoPro head strap
- GoPro Shorty mini tripod
- SanDisk Extreme 32GB microSDHC memory card
- GoPro's "The Frame" mount
- curved adhesive mount
- mounting buckle + thumb screw
Dimensions and warranty:
- 2-1/2"W x 1-1/8"H x 1-3/4"H
- weight: 4.6 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CHDRB-801-XX
What's in the box:
- Action camera
- Mounting buckle (attached)
- Thumb screw (attached)
- Two AJBAT-001 Lithium-Ion rechargeable batteries (4.4V 1220mAh 4.7Wh)
- Curved adhesive mount
- Shorty grip
- Head strap
- 32GB microSD card
- 22" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and USB-C on other end)
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Product + Safety Instructions
- Need Help? card
- Caution card
- GoPro Plus promo card
- GoPro decals
GoPro HERO8 Black Bundle reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the GoPro HERO8 Black Bundle
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||2.0|
|Total Pixel Count||12MP|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||12MP|
|Aspect Ratio||4:3, 16:9|
|Optical Zoom||N x|
|Built-in Video Light||No|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||---|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||12MP|
|Built-in Photo Flash||No|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||4:3|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||4.4|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Image Sensor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The GoPro HERO8 Black (CHDHX-801) is an ultra-compact digital action camera, designed to take 4K and Full HD videos and up to 12-megapixel still photos in extreme situations. The camera features many advanced features designed to give you the most stable videos and the sharpest still photos available from an action camera. The HERO8 Black is waterproof up to 33 feet (10 meters). The camera has been redesigned with two integrated folding mounting fingers, eliminating the need for a frame mount. The fingers fit into the standard GoPro mount found on dozens on GoPro accessories. The camera comes with two rechargeable batteries, USB-C cable, and a curved adhesive surface mount. This HERO8 Black Bundle also includes the Shorty extension pole, head strap mount, and a 32GB microSD card.
2" LCD Touch Display: The camera has a 2" LCD touch display on the back for framing and viewing your videos and still images. Numerous touch gestures (tap, swipe, press/hold, etc.) let you navigate through the menus. In addition, the HERO8 Black has a 7/8" square LCD status screen on the front panel.
Optics: The HERO8 Black has a fixed focal length, ultra wide angle glass lens for sharp image quality.
Digital Lenses: There are four Digital Lens settings for video and three for still images. The digital lens settings simulate physically changing lenses on an old school camera, and allow you to choose how much of the scene is captured. They also affect the zoom level and fisheye effect in your shots. The Digital Lens settings are:
- SuperView (16mm): Available for 16:9 video only, Superview presents the widest and tallest field of view.
- Wide (16-34mm): Presents a wide field of view to capture as much as possible within the frame.
- Linear (19-39mm): Presents a wide field of view without the fisheye effect of Wide or SuperView.
- Narrow (27mm): Presents a narrow field of view without the fisheye effect of Wide or SuperView.
Touch Zoom: Touch Zoom helps you capture a closer view of the action. Touching the lower right corner of the screen brings up a slider control which lets you adjust the zoom, even while you're recording. Slide up to zoom in; slide down to zoom out. The zoom level remains locked until you readjust it, switch capture modes, or power off the camera.
Camera Orientation: You can switch between landscape and portrait orientation by simply rotating the camera. The orientation is locked in when you press the shutter button. If the camera tilts during recording, the video will show all the tilts and turns. You can lock the orientation in landscape or portrait in the menu, or switch from Auto to Landscape in Preferences.
GPS: The HERO8 Black is equipped with built-in GPS that allows you to capture location information and embed the data into your videos and photos. The GPS tracks your speed and distance, and the data helps you view the locations where your footage was recorded on a map.
Connections: The HERO8 Black has a USB-C port for connecting the camera to a computer, or for charging the battery, via the supplied USB cable.
Optional GoPro Media Mod (HERO8 Black): GoPro offers an optional module for connecting external devices to the camera. The Media Mod (HERO8 Black) has a built-in directional mic, and a 3.5mm port for connecting an external microphone. It also has an HDMI output to connect the camera to your TV, and 2 cold-shoe mounts for attaching lights, microphones, or LCD screens.
Voice Control: You can control the HERO8 Black with your voice using specific commands. There are two types of commands:
|Action Commands||Mode Commands|
"GoPro, Video Mode"
* Note: The camera will listen for commands for 1 hour after you've turned it off.
Video Resolution: The HERO8 Black is capable of recording 4K and Full HD video in MPEG-4 (H.264/AVC) and MPEG-4 (H.265/HEVC) formats. The maximum video bit rate is 78 MB/s (4K). The camera records video at the following resolutions:
|Video Resolution||Frame Rates |
|Field of View||Screen Resolution||Aspect Ratio|
|60/50||Wide||3840 x 2160||16:9|
|30/25, 24/24||Wide, SuperView||3840 x 2160||16:9|
|4K 4:3||30/25, 24/24||Wide, Linear||4096 x 3072||4:3|
|2.7K||120/100||Wide||2704 x 1520||16:9|
|60/50, 30/25, 24/24||Linear, Wide, SuperView, Narrow||2704 x 1520||16:9|
|2.7K 4:3||60/50, 30/25, 24/24||Linear, Wide, Narrow||2704 x 2028||4:3|
|1440p||120/100, 60/50, 30/25, 24/24||Linear, Wide, Narrow||1920 x 1440||4:3|
|1080p||240/200||Wide||1920 x 1080||16:9|
|120/100, 60/50, 30/25, 24/24||Linear, Wide, SuperView||1920 x 1080||16:9|
Looping Video: In addition to traditional video, you can also shoot "looping video" and save only the moments you want. You can use it when you're waiting for something to happen, similar to a dash cam. The camera records for the duration of the chosen looping interval, then "loop" back to record over the start of the video. You can set the looping interval to 5, 20, 60, or 120 minutes, or to Max, which records until the memory card is full, then loops back.
Time Lapse Capture Modes: The HERO8 Black offers three Time Lapse capture modes:
- TimeWarp 2.0 Video: You can speed up time by using TimeWarp 2.0 video stabilization to give you ultra-smooth time lapse video while you're on the move. This preset captures 1080p video with the Wide digital lens, and automatically adjusts the capture speed for best results. You can tap the screen to slow down the effect to real time to savor the moment, then tap again to speed up the video.
- Time Lapse Video: You can turn long events into short videos that you can share. Great for sunsets, street scenes, or other slow actions, while your camera is still. Settings: 1080p video, 16:9, 0.5-second intervals.
- Night Lapse: You can capture time lapse video in dark and low-light situations with Night Lapse. The shutter speed automatically adjusts to let in more light, and increases the interval to give you the best results. The video is set to 1080p using the Wide digital lens. Night Lapse works best when using a stationary camera on a tripod.
HyperSmooth 2.0: The HERO8 Black is equipped with HyperSmooth 2.0 electronic image stabilization to give you gimbal-like video. HyperSmooth uses advanced scene analysis and roller shutter correction algorithms to proactively look at how motion is happening frame to frame and adjust correction to make the video super smooth. There are four HyperSmooth settings: Boost, High, On, and Off. The HERO8 Black uses HyperSmooth in all video modes, EXCEPT when recording 4K60 video with the Linear digital lens.
Slow Motion Video: The HERO8 Black uses an ultra high frame rate to capture video and play it back in slow motion. For 8x super slow motion playback, you can set the resolution to 1080p and the frame rate at 240 fps. For 4x slow motion, you can shoot at 2.7K, 1440p, or 1080p, at a frame rate of 120 fps.
Live Streaming: Using the GoPro App, you can stream live video up to 1080p to Facebook Live or other compatible video platforms that support an RTMP URL.
Audio: The camera records the audio with three built-in mono microphones. The camera processes the audio from the three microphones to reduce noise, giving you the best possible sound for your action videos. In Auto audio mode, the camera chooses the microphone with the best sound quality, shutting off any microphone that may be picking up excessive wind noise. The RAW Audio setting creates a separate .wav file for your video, in addition to the standard .mp4 audio track. You can set the processing of the .wav file to Low, Medium, or High. You will need to insert your SD card into a card reader to access the .wav file with your computer.
Protune: The HERO8 Black has Protune, which lets you discover your camera's full potential. Protune gives you manual control of bitrate, color, ISO limit, exposure, microphone settings, and more. Protune lets you adjust the following:
- Bitrate: Select Low to minimize file sizes, or High for optimal image quality.
- Color: You can adjust the color profile of your videos and photos, by choosing between GoPro Color and Flat.
- White Balance: You can adjust the color temperature of your videos and photos to optimize for cool or warm lighting conditions. The color temperature settings include: Auto, 2300K, 2800K, 3200K, 4000K, 4500K, 5000K, 5500K, 6000K, 6500K, and Native.
- ISO Minimum/Maximum: You can set a range for the camera's sensitivity to light and image noise. The default for ISO Minimum is 100, while the default for ISO Maximum is 1600 for videos and 3200 for photos. You can manually choose ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, and 6400.
- Shutter Speed: You can choose a shutter speed for both photo and video modes. For photos, the options include Auto, 1/125, 1/250, 1/500, 1/1000, and 1/2000 second. For video, the options depend on the fps setting. You can choose from Auto, 1/fps, 1/(2 x fps), 1/(4 x fps), 1/(8 x fps), and 1/(16 x fps).
- Exposure Value Compensation: You can adjust the EV Comp from -2.0 to +2.0 EV.
- Sharpness: Choose from High, Medium, and Low.
- RAW Audio: This setting creates a separate .wav file for your video, in addition to the standard .mp4 audio track. You can choose from Off, Low, Medium, or High level of processing to the RAW audio track.
- Wind Noise Reduction: The camera uses three microphones to capture sound when recording video. The Wind-Noise filter can improve sound when applied in windy conditions. You can set the filter to Auto, On, or Off.
Still Images with HDR: The HERO8 Black can take still images at 12MP resolution (6000 x 4000) and 4:3 aspect ratio. The digital lens is set to Wide. The camera features HDR (high dynamic range) to pick up greater detail in shadowed areas, while making sure the bright areas are not overexposed. Multiple shots are taken and combined, mixing bright light and shadows to accomplish this. HDR can be turned on or off as needed. Still images can be recorded in these capture modes:
- Photo: Photos are captured one at a time, or continuously (up to 30 photos at 4 frames per second).
- LiveBurst: LiveBurst captures a burst of photos, both 1.5 seconds before and 1.5 seconds after you press the shutter button. This allows you to capture the perfect moment, when you're not sure when the moment will happen. You can save the shots individually or the entire burst as a short video.
- Burst: In Burst mode, you can capture up to 30 photos (depending on lighting conditions) in 1 second to capture fast-moving activities.
- Night: In Night mode, the shutter stays open longer to let in more light, making it perfect for dim or dark scenes. It is not recommended for handheld or mounted shots when the camera is moving.
- Photo Timer: You can choose a 3 second or 10 second delay for taking selfies or group shots.
SuperPhoto: SuperPhoto automatically uses advanced image processing to give you brilliant photos in virtually any light. SuperPhoto takes a little longer to process because the camera analyzes the scene and applies the proper amount of processing to achieve the best results. Depending on the lighting, SuperPhoto will automatically choose High Dynamic Range, Local Tone Mapping, Multi-frame Noise Reduction, or No Additional Processing.
HiLight Tagging: The HERO8 Black lets you mark specific moments in your video during recording or playback with HiLight Tags, making the moments easier to locate. Tags can be added using HiLight button on the camera or the GoPro App. During playback, the tags are visible in the GoPro App or GoPro software.
Storage: The HERO8 Black has a slot for inserting a microSD memory card (up to 256 GB). You should use microSD cards with a Class 10 or UHS-I rating for best performance. A 32GB microSD memory card is included in this HERO8 Black Bundle.
Wi-Fi + Bluetooth: The camera features built-in 5 GHz Wi-Fi, as well as Bluetooth wireless technology, to allow you to wirelessly connect to your smartphone or tablet via the GoPro App. If your device or region does not support 5 GHz Wi-Fi, you can switch the Wi-Fi band to 2.4 GHz.
GoPro App: The GoPro App lets you upload the latest footage from your HERO8 Black or other GoPro camera. With the app, you can view your photos and videos on your phone, even before you upload them. Once on your phone, you can use the app to make edits to your footage, then share it with others directly, or on social media. The GoPro app lets you control your camera from a distance. Frame your shots using the live preview, adjust your settings, and then start and stop your recordings, all from your phone. You can even stream video live on Facebook, YouTube, or other video platforms. When a firmware update becomes available, you can load it to your camera through the app. The GoPro app is compatible with Apple mobile devices running iOS 11.0 or later, as well as Android devices running version 7.0 and up.
Battery: The HERO8 Black is powered by a removable 1220mAh Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (AJBAT-001). Two batteries are included in this special HERO8 Black Bundle. The battery can be charged by connecting the camera to a computer or other USB charging adapter (5V 1A) using the supplied USB-C cable. Charging a fully-depleted battery takes approximately 2 hours. The optional GoPro Dual Battery charger lets you charge up to two batteries at once, so you'll always have a fresh battery.
- Dimensions: Width: 2.621", Height: 1.925", Depth: 1.128"
- Weight: 4.4 ounces (camera and battery only)
Standard GoPro Mounts: The HERO8 Black has two integrated folding fingers that fit into any standard GoPro mount. The included mounting buckle lets you adjust the tilt of the camera. The rubber locking plug provides additional security.
Bundled Mounts: This HERO8 Black Bundle includes the Shorty Mini Extension pole and tripod. You can use the Shorty as a 4.6" long camera grip, or extend it to 8.9" for taking selfies or group shots. Fold out the legs to turn Shorty into a tripod. The Bundle also includes an adjustable head strap for hands-free video capture. The Head Strap fits directly on your head or to a helmet.
Mounting Bases: The package includes a curved-surface mount with industrial-grade adhesive for mounting the camera to a helmet, vehicle, or other smooth surface. Additional curved and flat mounts are available for purchase.
Optional Mounts: GoPro offers numerous mounts for the HERO8 Black camera, including a head strap and chest harness. Other mounts can attach the camera to a bicycle seat post or handlebar, a roll bar, helmet, tripod, or surfboard. Special mount kits are available for Sports, Travel, or Adventure.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?