About the Audioengine 5 (A5)
High-quality sound from a powered speaker system
Audioengine's A5 speakers are perfect for a small dedicated listening system. Connect your iPod®, computer, or another audio source and they'll deliver excellent results an expansive soundstage that lets you imagine where the vocalist, guitar player, and drummer are positioned on stage.
Smart, stylish design
The A5's custom silk tweeters deliver smooth, open highs. Advanced Kevlar woofers provide tight, punchy mids and bass. The drivers are powered by no-nonsense built-in amplifiers. All components are housed in sturdy wood cabinets with a hand-polished finish.
Convenient connections built into the top of the left speaker make it easy to hook up a portable music player like an iPod or iPhone®. A USB power output lets you charge your player, and a minijack input accepts the audio signal from its headphone jack. Rear RCA and minijack inputs let you connect just about any other audio source. Both channels of amplification are built into the left speaker, so you just make a simple, secure connection between the left and right speakers using the gold-plated speaker terminals.
From the review Mighty speakers at work and at home: Audioengine A2 and A5
"As I auditioned more of my favorite songs, it was very apparent that the A5s not only pumped out the louder sounds like drum beats and lead guitar riffs well, but also accurately reproduced the little nuances in music like the breath of a singer or the sound of a guitar player sliding between notes."
Tara, Crutchfield Video Producer and A/V Writer
- powered bookshelf stereo speakers
- two 50-watt amplifiers built into left speaker
- frequency response: 50-22,000 Hz
- each speaker features:
- one 3/4" silk dome tweeter
- one 5" Kevlar mid/woofer
- video-shielded to prevent interference in tube TVs and monitors
- volume control
- top minijack input for connecting an iPod
- top USB power output allows you to charge a connected device (does not support audio transfer)
- additional (rear) minijack input
- RCA stereo line output
- power cord
- 7-3/16"W x 10-5/16"H x 8-1/4"D (each)
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # A5 Black
What's in the box:
- Powered left speaker
- Passive right speaker
- 70" AC power cord
- 12.5' Length of 16 gauge speaker wire
- 80" Stereo cable (3.5mm mini-jack on both ends)
- Two 8" Stereo cables (3.5mm mini-jack on both ends)
- 10" Stereo mini to RCA adapter cable
- 40" USB extension cable (male USB type A on one end and female USB type A on the other)
- Cloth drawstring cable bag
- 2 Cloth drawstring speaker bags
- Setup guide
- Audioengine product brochure
Audioengine 5 (A5) reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Audioengine 5 (A5)
Features & specs
|Pieces in System||2|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||0-3/4|
|Midrange size (inches)||---|
|Woofer size (inches)||5|
|Power Output (Watts)||50|
|Frequency Response||50-22k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
Full-Range Sound: Each of the Audioengine A5s has two drivers; a 3/4" silk dome tweeter and a 5" Kevlar woofer. The rear ported cabinets offer accurate bass down to 50 Hz (+/-1.5 dB). Audioengine recommends placing the speakers at least 6" from the back wall.
Amplifier: The A5s are powered by a 50-watt RMS x 2 amplifier built into the left speaker. Source components (or wireless adapters) are connected to the left speaker and standard speaker wire connects the two speakers together. With the amplifier built-in, the left speaker is heavier than the right (14 pounds vs. 9 pounds).
Construction: The cabinets are built using 1" MDF with internal bracing. Internal sound-damping material reduces unwanted reflections inside the cabinet. The cabinet edges are rounded to reduce high-frequency diffraction effects on the front baffles. The speakers are hand finished, then tuned and tested together to be sold in matching pairs. Both speakers have high-density foam isolation pads on the bottom for placement flexibility.
Audio Inputs: The A5 has two 3.5mm input jacks on the left speaker, one on the top and one on the back. There is no input selector switch so both inputs are live simultaneously; if different signals are presented to both inputs, they are mixed together and both are played through the speakers.
Line Output: A stereo RCA output on the back of the left speaker allows routing the input signal(s) to another component; recorder, powered sub, etc. The output signal level is not controlled by the A5 volume setting, only by the input signal level.
USB Port: On the top of the left speaker there is a powered USB output (5 volt/1.2amp). Its purpose is only to power or charge a USB bus-powered device; for example it will charge an iPod but not control the iPod, and the audio signal is not transferred through the USB port. Audioengine offers wireless adapters (item numbers 772AW1 and 772AW2, sold separately) that can be powered using this port.
AC: An unswitched AC outlet on the back of the left speaker will power an additional component (120 watts max). The manual illustrates the Apple AirPort Express powered by the AC outlet and connected the the rear panel mini-jack input for wireless reception.
Left Speaker: All of the A5 system's controls and connections are on the left speaker; the only terminals on the right speaker are the screw post speaker level inputs for connection to the left speaker's corresponding outputs:
- Volume: rotary knob controls the system's output volume
- LED: a blue LED indicates the system is on
- Power Input: AC input for included power cord
- Power Switch: on/off power switch for the built-in amplifier
- Speaker Output: screw post output for right speaker
- AC Outlet: unswitched outlet to power another device; 120 watts max
- Audio Input: 3.5mm stereo mini-jack
- Line-Level Output: stereo RCA outputs
- Audio Input:3.5mm stereo mini-jack
- USB Port: powered USB type A; output only (no audio input)
Power Output: 50 watts RMS per speaker (75 watts peak)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 95dB
THD: 0.05% at all power settings
Frequency Response: 50 Hz - 22 kHz +/-1.5 dB
Input Impedance: 10 kΩ unbalanced