About the Audioengine S8
Big bass in a small box
Big bass in a small box
Add deep, low-frequency thrills to your music, movies, and video games with Audioengine's S8 powered subwoofer. It makes the perfect companion for your Audioengine speaker system, or a fantastic upgrade to any music system that needs some extra low-end kick. The S8's custom down-firing 8" woofer delivers tight, punchy bass that blends in seamlessly with the other speakers in your system. Its rock-solid, hand-crafted cabinet features internally braced one-inch thick MDF construction with a beautiful high-gloss white or satin black furniture-grade finish. This subwoofer's super-compact build allows for easy out-of-the-way placement behind the couch or under your computer desk, but it looks so good you'll want to display out in the open.
Audioengine makes it easy to integrate the S8 with your existing system. You can hook your receiver or other audio components up to the sub through its LFE or dual line-level inputs featuring both minijack and RCA connections. The sub's line-level outputs also give you an easy connection to your powered speakers. Adjustable rear-panel controls for crossover and subwoofer volume allow you to easily match up the S8 with your speakers. And an auto-sleep standby feature turns the S8 amplifier off when you're not playing music to conserve energy.
- built-in 125-watt RMS Class D amplifier
- 8" down-firing woofer with front-firing port
- frequency response: 27-180 Hz (+/-1.5 dB)
- continuously variable 50-130 Hz crossover
- phase switch
- line-level stereo/LFE RCA inputs
- 3.5mm minijack input
- auto on/off mode
- high-quality, hand-finished enclosure
- 11-1/2"W x 13-3/8"H x 13-1/8"D
- weight: 23.4 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # S8W
What's in the box:
- Powered subwoofer
- 6' AC power cord
- 6.5" Stereo RCA cable
- 6.5' Stereo minijack audio cable
- Cloth subwoofer bag
- Cloth cable bag
- Quick Start Guide
- Audioengine brochure
More details on the Audioengine S8
Features & specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||8|
|Woofer Composition||Treated paper|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||50-130 Hz|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||None|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||125|
|Frequency Response||27-180 Hz|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||3 Years|
8" Woofer: The S8 has a super-fast, long-throw, custom 8" woofer designed for audio and home theater performance. The 8" woofer features an anti-resonant steel frame and heavy-duty rubber speaker surround for accurate low end. The 8" woofer is down-firing and offers low, tight, and smooth bass that will blend well with the other speakers in your system.
High Power Amplifier: The S8 powered subwoofer employs a class D amplifier which is rated at 125 watts RMS and 250 watts Peak.
Bass Reflex Cabinet: The Audioengine S8 powered subwoofer utilizes a bass-reflex (ported) enclosure with a front-firing port for added efficiency, high volume level, an deeper bass. The cabinet is made of solid 15.6mm thick, internally braced MDF to eliminate cabinet vibrations which means distortion-free, accurate response. This custom-designed and handcrafted wood cabinet comes in a high-gloss white or satin black finish.
Controls: Variable adjustable rear-panel controls for Crossover, Phase, and Subwoofer Volume allow you to easily adjust the S8's output and blending with your speakers.
- Volume Level: The Volume control is for matching the subwoofer speaker volume to the level of your speakers. Keep the volume low when first setting up your system and then adjust to your preferred level using different music and/or video sources.
- Low Pass Crossover: The Crossover control is used to set the subwoofer high frequency cutoff point, which is the point at which the subwoofer transitions to your other speakers. For example, if the Crossover control is set to the 50Hz mark then the sub will play all frequencies up to 50Hz. All frequencies from 50Hz and higher will then be played by the other speakers. Fine-tune the Crossover setting (50-130Hz) by ear for the smoothest blend with your main speakers. The best setting of the Crossover control will depend on speaker placement, room characteristics, and personal preference.
- Phase Adjustment: The Phase control is used to blend the sound of the subwoofer with the other speakers in your system. Phase is the degree to which the subwoofer speaker and other speakers are moving in and out at the same time. Once you have chosen a location for your subwoofer, try changing the Phase Control between 0° and 180° while you listen for the most bass from your favorite listening position. Sometimes no difference will be heard. There is no correct Phase setting and it is not uncommon for the subwoofer to sound similar at both settings, depending on your room and location of the subwoofer. If you don't hear a difference go ahead and set the Phase knob to the 0° position.
Line-Level Inputs: The S8 is equipped with a set of stereo RCA jacks which can be used as a left/right stereo RCA input or as a dedicated LFE input. There is also a minijack (3.5mm) input.
- LFE Connection: If your AV receiver has an LFE (Low Frequency Effect) input or single Subwoofer output, connect it to the S8's "Left/LFE" input. The S8's "Left/LFE" input bypasses the subwoofer's built-in low pass crossover and uses your AV receiver's bass management settings.
- Stereo Connection: The stereo RCA inputs and minijack (3.5mm) input are line-level audio inputs used for connecting your audio source's audio output (lacks an LFE or subwoofer output). Both inputs are active, so no switching is required if you wish to use inputs from two different audio sources plugged in at the same time. You will use the subwoofer's built-in low pass crossover.
Optional Wireless Kit: The S8 powered subwoofer's rear-panel 3.5mm input and USB (type-A) port allows connection of Audioengine's W3 wireless audio kit (sold separately). The W3 consists of a wireless receiver which plugs into the S8's rear-panel 3.5mm input and USB port, and a wireless transmitter that plugs into your AV receiver's subwoofer/LFE output. The transmitter contains a male 3.5mm jack, so in most cases you will need a minijack-to-RCA adapter (sold separately). By utilizing the W3 wireless audio kit, you won't have to run a subwoofer cable from your AV receiver to the powered sub.
Placement: This powered subwoofer is small enough to place in a corner or hide behind furniture. The subwoofer is magnetically shielded for safe placement next to your televisions. Here are three locations to try out for best performance.
- Corner Placement: Placing the powered subwoofer in a corner usually increases subwoofer loudness. Typically the front right & left corners sound the most natural, though rear corner placement is also an option.
- Wall Placement: Placing the powered subwoofer along a wall tends to give moderate bass performance with increased audio quality over corner placement.
- Alongside Front Speakers: Placing the powered subwoofer alongside one of the front speakers may blend better with the overall system, but can also sacrifice some subwoofer loudness.
Note: At least 3"of clearance around the cabinet with good air circulation is recommended. Never cover the subwoofer or place it where the built-in amplifier could be covered.
Auto Standby: This indicator LED will be Green when an input signal is present (music playing) and Red when no signal is present (power-saving standby mode). The S8 subwoofer will automatically enter Standby mode after 15 minutes when no signal is detected.
Thermal Overload Protection: The Audioengine powered subwoofer is protected by an internal thermal sensor. If it runs for an extended period of time, beyond tits designated power rating, the thermal sensor will engage and shut down the amplifier. If this occurs, turn off the power switch, lower the volume level, and wait five minutes before restarting the system. This is a normal protection feature and does not indicate a malfunction.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
1 question already asked