About the Cambridge Audio CXA60
Are you passionate about your music?
Are you passionate about your music?
As music lovers, we're very fond of Cambridge Audio components. Why? Because the team of designers at Cambridge are passionate about music, too. Take their CXA60 integrated amplifier for example. The Cambridge folks crafted this amp to wring every bit of detail and texture from your favorite recordings, without wringing every penny from your wallet.
Plus, while many integrated amplifiers have only analog inputs, the CXA60 gives you optical and coaxial digital inputs that feed this amp's high-quality Wolfson digital-to-analog converter (DAC). That means you can connect a network music player or streaming media device, as well as your tape deck and AM/FM tuner. The CXA60's DAC is as adept at decoding high-resolution audio files from your digital music player as it is at improving the sound quality of your old CD player. You can even stream music directly from your Bluetooth® enabled portable devices by adding Cambridge Audio's optional BT100 adapter.
Vinyl lovers can connect a turntable through a phono preamp to one of the RCA inputs and spin records.
Real power for the real world
At the heart of the CXA60 is a high-performance, 60 watt-per-channel amplifier. Cambridge Audio's conservative power rating only tells part of this amp's story. Each channel's 60 watts are generated courtesy of a power supply that employs an audiophile-grade toroidal transformer for plenty of steady, low-noise current. The transformer is centrally located inside the chassis to minimize interference with sensitive preamp circuitry, and surrounded by hefty extruded heat sinks for cool, efficient operation.
In addition to its ample power output, this integrated amp uses symmetrical and separately laid out right- and left-channel circuits with a greatly reduced component count in the signal path compared to previous models. This keeps distortion and interference from cluttering the signal, for rich, multi-layered sound and superb stereo separation. The result of all that beefy construction is an amp capable of handling the heavy demands of 4-ohm speakers as well as all the dynamic peaks in music that make it sound real.
Tone controls, direct mode, and room for extra speakers
The CXA60 features two pairs of speaker connectors, front-panel treble and bass controls, and Direct mode for bypassing these tone controls if you desire even purer sound. There's also a subwoofer output and preamp outs for expanding your system, as well as a front-panel headphone jack for late-night music listening that won't disturb others.
- 60 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (90 watts x 2 channels into 4 ohms)
- 4-ohm capability allows use with a wide range of speakers
- THD: 0.02% (20-20,000 Hz at 80% of rated power)
- built-in high-performance Wolfson WM8740 DAC
- toroidal power transformer for low noise and high-current output
- separate left and right channel heat sinks and symmetrical separated circuit paths for maximum stereo separation and minimal cross-channel interference
- high-quality ALPs film-type volume control provides superb low-level channel balance and stereo imaging
- relay-based input source switching with silver-plated contacts for maximum signal transfer
- full-metal casework with thick, brushed aluminum front panel and acoustically damped chassis for enhanced resonance control
- 2 optical and 1 coaxial digital audio inputs
- 4 stereo RCA audio inputs, 1 front-panel minijack (3.5mm) audio input
- Bluetooth®-ready with optional Cambridge Audio adapter
- 1 stereo RCA preamp output and a dedicated mono subwoofer output
- minijack headphone output
- switchable A+B speaker outputs with binding-post connectors
Other Info and Specs:
- class A/B amplifier design
- 16-15/16"W x 4-1/2"H x 13-7/16"D
- weight: 18.3 lbs.
- If connecting to a TV, please make sure you can select "PCM" output in your TV's audio menu. The built-in DAC cannot decode multi-channel Dolby® Digital signals.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # C10759K
What's in the box:
- Stereo integrated amplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC-CXA/C/N)
- 3 "AAA" batteries
- 39" mono-RCA control cable
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Safety Instructions. "Thank You" card
Cambridge Audio CXA60 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Cambridge Audio CXA60
Features & specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||60|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||Not given|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||90|
|Minimum Impedance||4 ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||Not Given|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||Yes|
|High-resolution Audio Playback||No|
|Total Analog Inputs||5|
|Optical Digital Inputs||2|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||1|
|Preamp Outputs||Stereo, Sub|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
60 Watts x 2 Channel: Rated at 60 watts x 2 channel into 8Ω (or 90 watts x 2 channel into 4Ω), the Cambridge Audio CXA60 integrated amplifier is powerful enough to drive some of the most demanding speakers, yet has the nuance and subtlety demanded by modern recordings. The CXA60's class AB amplifier design, along with its centrally mounted oversized toroidal transformer and extruded heatsinks, will reveal spectacular detail in your music.
Oversized Toroidal Transformer: The CXA60 integrated amplifier's power comes from an oversized audiophile-grade toroidal transformer, which keep magnetic flux level extremely low, benefiting the other internal components. This low-flux toroidal transformer also enhances performance and delivers incredible control over your speakers. The toroidal transformer is mounted centrally inside the chassis of the integrated amp to reduce flux or magnetic disturbance from the volume pot.
Symmetrical & Separated Circuitry: The entire internal layout of the CXA60 is designed to minimize left/right crosstalk and provide astonishing stereo separation, thanks to its symmetrical and separated circuit paths. By entirely separating the left and right channel heat sinks, and using symmetrical and separated circuit paths for the two channels, the CXA60 will deliver stunning stereo separation and minimum cross-channel interference with great soundstage performance.
Volume Pot: An ALPs film volume pot delivers accurate volume control and superb low level channel balance.
Dynamic Thermal Tracking Transistors: The output power transistors used by the CXA60 incorporate integrated Dynamic Thermal Tracking. Integrated Dynamic Thermal tracking provides a far more accurate reading of the real temperature of a transistor, and relays it faster too because it's not a delayed heating effect. This enables Cambridge Audio to bias the amplifier more accurately and in almost real time; which means the CXA60 is always running at optimum performance.
24-Bit/192kHz DAC: The CXA60 has been designed from the ground up with built-in digital to analog conversion capabilities. Using a high-specification 24-bit/192kHz WM8740 DAC chip from Wolfson, the CXA60 offers a powerful upgrade for all your digital sources.
Fully Balanced Signal Management: Cambridge Audio engineers decided to go fully balanced rather than single-ended all the way through. As a consequence, any noise that that might be picked up in the audio signal while routing through the amplifier is cancelled before it's output.
Tone Controls + Direct Mode: The CXA60 integrated amplifier has independent Bass (20Hz) and Treble (20kHz) controls. Or, you can select Direct Mode which gives the audio signal a more direct path to the power amplifier stage of your amplifier, bypassing the bass and treble control circuits for the purest possible sound quality.
High-Quality Damped Metal Chassis: The CXA60 features a high-quality damped metal chassis, designed to ensure that nothing rattles or interferes with the electronics.
Digital & Analog Inputs: The CXA60 integrated amp features two optical (toslink) inputs and a S/PDIF coaxial (RCA) digital input so you connect all of your digital sources. The unit's digital inputs can decode 2ch PCM and Dolby Digital 2.0. The CXA60 integrated amp also features four stereo RCA inputs and a front-panel 3.5mm Aux input.
Outputs: The Cambridge Audio CXA60 integrated amp is fitted with A-B speaker terminals, a mono-sub output, stereo pre-outs and a headphone jack.
- A-B Speaker Terminals: The Cambridge Audio CXA60 integrated amplifier is equipped with two sets of gold-plated, binding-post speaker terminals (labeled A and B). The terminals will accept bare wire, spade connectors, single- and dual-banana plugs. (The red and black caps can be removed when using banana plugs.) The use of A and B speaker terminals allow you to hook up speakers in another room. When using a single pair of speakers, use speakers with a nominal impedance of 4Ω to 8Ω. When using two pair of speakers, use only speakers with a minimum nominal impedance of 8Ω.
- Subwoofer Output: The CXA60 integrated amp features a mono-subwoofer output for adding a powered subwoofer. To ensure there's no unnecessary high frequency noise affecting the subwoofer, the subwoofer output is filtered at 3kHz. This is high enough to prevent any phase shift associated with the low pass filter affecting what happens below 200Hz. The result is a phase linear subwoofer output signal which is clean and musical.
- Pre-Outs: The Cambridge Audio CXA60 is equipped with a pair of RCA pre-outs to connect the integrated amp to an external power amplifier.
- Headphone Jack: The CXA60 integrated amplifier offers a front-panel 3.5mm headphone output to connect a set of headphones for private listening. When headphones are connected, the output to both A/B loudspeakers is muted.
Remote Control: The CXA60 is supplied with an IR remote control that operates this integrated amplifier and other Cambridge Audio CX series components. The remote operates off of three "AAA" batteries (supplied). The CXA60 features a Control Bus Input and Output (RCA), which allows un-modulated commands from multi-room systems or other components to be received by the amp and loop out to another unit.
Optional Bluetooth Adapter: Simply plug in the Cambridge Audio BT100 Bluetooth Audio Receiver (sold separately) into the Cambridge Audio CXA60's rear-panel USB (type-A) port for wireless music streaming from many of today's most popular Bluetooth supporting devices; such as Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows Phone/PC, Mac computer/laptop, and more. The BT100 even supports the high-quality Bluetooth aptX CODEC, so you can stream audiophile quality music from your Bluetooth-enabled Android (OS 4.0+) device to the CXA60 integrated amp.
Auto Power Down: The CXA60 integrated amplifier can be set to automatically go into "Standby mode" if there is no audio signal or operation for approximately 10, 30, or 60 minutes.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
7 questions already asked